Any reason not to book before the current Freestyle Promotion ends (7/31)?

txagfan

We're planning our second cruise for the week of Thanksgiving (Departing 11/21/15 or 11/22/15). Right now we're tee'd up for the Norwegian Jade out of Houston due to proximity to where we live (Dallas). We are going the budget route so will be an inside cabin.

Is there any reason we shouldn't book before Friday when this promotion ends? I'm a very experienced traveler, but new to the cruise "game" so I'm just not sure if there is an optimal time to book. This isn't a dream vacation we're booking a year in advance so I suppose we could accept some risk if we waited. The rate seems fair especially when you consider the freestyle choice benefit, looking for some reassurance.

If anyone is still reading this, are we going to be disappointed in a smaller boat like the Jade after previously cruising on the Getaway? Will be myself, 8yo nephew, and this time my mother.

Thanks so much!

Edited by txagfan

The KSF or half off promo has been going on for several months so that MAY be available during the next promo. Don't know for sure, but maybe someone else who does will chime in. NCL may also change one of the choice promotions, so if one of the current promotions is one that you definitely want to use, then I'd book now. Otherwise just wait and maybe there will be a choice promo that you like more than the current offerings.

As far as going from big to small, that's really a matter of personal preference. My first cruise was in 2009 on the NCL Majesty. I had nothing to compare it to. I just remember the food was bad, but the crew and entertainment was great. Since then I've only sailed on the "mega ships". Epic 3 times, BA 3 times, RCI Oasis 1 time. I'm a big ship gal and the itinerary would have to be pretty awesome to get me on a much smaller ship. Read reviews on the Jade and check out YouTube vids to get a sense of the ship.

I didn't do the math to see how many days until your cruise, so I'm not sure if you'll incur any penalties, but you've got nothing to lose by booking now and if the deal ends up better on the 1st, cancel and rebook.

What's the rules on canceling (Cliff Notes)? I thought you lost deposit if you rebooked.

Cruise would be approximately ~116 days from today.

Thanks so much everyone.

I just booked the Jade, but for a week earlier. I think that if you cancel or change anything before the 75 day mark, final payment day, you don't have any penalties. If it is after the 75 day mark, you lose the deposit, then a certain increasing percentage the closer it is till sail away.

My sail date is Nov 14, and I have until August 30 to make changes. Also, the third and fourth passenger free is a great deal. I will say that I like that with NCL, they are actually free. When they have had this type of special on other lines, you have to pay to highest rate to get the "free" offer and it basically ended up being the same price it would have been if we had been able to book at the cheaper rate.

I'm not sure what "free style" offer you were thinking of choosing, but I will say something about the excursion one. It is $75 off shore excursions/per room at each port. You may want to look to see what excursions they are offering on the sailing you are looking at. When I checked for my cruise date, they are only offering 7 excursions in Cozumel...and as of now, none of them are really for a "beach day". I'm hoping they will add some more as it gets closer. We will probably book something for Belize and Roatan, but you may want to look to see what they are offering.

Good luck and Gig'em!

Basically this current promotion is going to continue through August, the only difference is they are getting rid of the Shore Excursions Credit and going back to Pre Paid Gratuities as an option or for suites they will get the UBP, UDP, Prepaid Gratuities and I believe WiFi.

I know for sute that the Shore Excursions option is going away and in it's place are the Gratuities. So for those thinking of booking especially the Suite this could be a deciding factor.

Maybe the Free or reduced rate shore excursions were not all that was consumer friendly.

Just maybe Basket Weaving 101 was not the rage it was supposed to be.

Can't say that I would be interested in doing this under a beating sun.

Have not read of any comments about the complimentary shore excursions.

This maybe because it was not the hit the NCL thought it would be.

Prepaid gratuities for all passengers in a cabin - that amounts to something.

The dining and drinking packages are in themselves a winner. The Wi-Fi

however is great that they offer it but at snails pace dial-up speed what is

to like about that - I am not spending half my cruise waiting for an email

response by dolphin pony express - just as well have a subscription to a

satellite phone.

I think the promotions are going to be around for quite some time.

If NCL does not continue they will lose ground to others who do.

It is real simple economics to do this - give free stuff and raise the basic

cruise rate. Not all cruisers are going to use the full extent of the packages.

So it appears that NCL is offering great deals but in the end they have not

lost any money over it.

The fancy promos have been offered starting at the end of 2014 - each month

adding or subtracting features based on what cabin you were in.

At first you could only select one of the promos - now at the end of this

month NCL is offering all promos to certain cabin levels. The solo cabins on

some ships was an exception getting none but even now they are getting a

piece of the action.

The suites get all the promos - have from day one and not to do this would

cheapen the best cabins NCL has to offer.

At the end of each of the past months this topic has come up what if any the

promos are if they are being continued or discontinued and who gets them in

the next promo period.

Some of the promos offered currently and in the past:

Ultimate Beverage Package

Ultimate Dining

On Board Credit

Wi-Fi

Paid gratuities

Shore excursions

So watch the roulette wheel for the next round of NCL Promos -

Round and round she goes and where she stops - - - ?

-OR- or watch the video from the NCL board room of the blindfolded revolving

dart board.

So do we have a winner - Yes - something for everyone a comedy tonight ! LOL !

The Aug promo has the kids sail free as one of the five choices, where now it is just a given(or 50%). Unless you are in a suite that would take your choice away. You can search for August promo on here and see the proposed ad.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Book now. As mentioned earlier, now you get 3rd free and get to choose a perk, but starting from saturday that will be one of the perks that you can choose from so it's one or another after that.

Also, here is the cancellation fee schedule, your non-free cancellation period starts 75 days before the cruise - before that you can cancel for free:

http://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

Hi

Sailed on the Jade earlier this year and i am sure you will not be disappointed,

The ship is sleek looking and has a tastefully appointed interior.

Loads to do on board and has some great dining and beverage venues.

Never felt like a small ship (and i have cruised on all sizes of ships for the past 30 odd years)

The staff are very friendly, enjoy your vacation.

Jazz.:)

Edited by jazzmanfive

So we are booked in a 2 bed suite on Escape with the current plan booked in May but cruise is not until 2016

I would much rather have prepaid gratuities than shore credit since we do our own excursions and from what I understand I can not save them up and spend them all at one port. We are family of 4 and $75 a port does not cover it.

Is it obnoxious to get a requote from my travel agent cancel and rebook...since we are so far out. Can I get my same room? there are still plenty of 2 beds available but I like out location.

Book now. As mentioned earlier, now you get 3rd free and get to choose a perk, but starting from saturday that will be one of the perks that you can choose from so it's one or another after that.

Also, here is the cancellation fee schedule, your non-free cancellation period starts 75 days before the cruise - before that you can cancel for free:

http://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

Spot on. Book now!

So we are booked in a 2 bed suite on Escape with the current plan booked in May but cruise is not until 2016

I would much rather have prepaid gratuities than shore credit since we do our own excursions and from what I understand I can not save them up and spend them all at one port. We are family of 4 and $75 a port does not cover it.

Is it obnoxious to get a requote from my travel agent cancel and rebook...since we are so far out. Can I get my same room? there are still plenty of 2 beds available but I like out location.

It is not obnoxious at all. I hope you save some money. :D

Heck no. If they give you that vibe, then get another TA. That's their job.

We're planning our second cruise for the week of Thanksgiving (Departing 11/21/15 or 11/22/15). Right now we're tee'd up for the Norwegian Jade out of Houston due to proximity to where we live (Dallas). We are going the budget route so will be an inside cabin.

Is there any reason we shouldn't book before Friday when this promotion ends? I'm a very experienced traveler, but new to the cruise "game" so I'm just not sure if there is an optimal time to book. This isn't a dream vacation we're booking a year in advance so I suppose we could accept some risk if we waited. The rate seems fair especially when you consider the freestyle choice benefit, looking for some reassurance.

If anyone is still reading this, are we going to be disappointed in a smaller boat like the Jade after previously cruising on the Getaway? Will be myself, 8yo nephew, and this time my mother.

Thanks so much!

With those sail dates in a non-suite room your cancellation date will be around Sept 1st or so (Make sure you get the actual date). You can cancel up til that time and will have no penalty. I see no reason to wait on booking. I would book now, and then see what the price does in August. If the deal/price is better then you rebook. If not and you are happy with your July booking then simply keep it.

6&8

We originally booked in the beginning of February for a 12/5/2015 cruise on the Pride of America. At the time, the promotion was an OBC of 10% of the fare.

Within 2 weeks, the fare went down, the 10% OBC was eliminated and the freestyle options were added. Going through my TA, we were able to rebook at the lower fare, and the unlimited dining package plus a $75 OBC replaced the 10%. The total ended up as a savings.

One other thing to look into....

From my reading it looks like they aren't just replacing the Excursion Credit with the Pre-Paid Gratuities, it also looks like the Ultimate Dining Package is being replaced with Ultimate Specialty Dining. They've also got some wording in there to the effect that there is a one entree limit in Cagney's and Le Bistro.

If someone can double check that it would be nice because I'm sure if the UDP is important to folks, losing a few nights of specialty dining (on a 7 night cruise it may go from 7 nights to 4) and losing some of the UDP extras may cancel out gaining the pre-paid gratuities.

Those "free gratuities" you mention as part of the "perk" package my assumption was that , that meant free grats for the cabin, not drinks and food...???(Spec diners), Please tell me if I am wrong...I do know if you booked the UBP, UDP before 1 June everything was"rolled" up into one where the "gratuities" are free or included...I am not a stupid person but find what NCL has done over the past 6-9 months very confusing to say the least...

Just talking out loud is all...Please somebody set me straight...

Thanks,

Rob

Those "free gratuities" you mention as part of the "perk" package my assumption was that , that meant free grats for the cabin, not drinks and food...???(Spec diners), Please tell me if I am wrong...I do know if you booked the UBP, UDP before 1 June everything was"rolled" up into one where the "gratuities" are free or included...I am not a stupid person but find what NCL has done over the past 6-9 months very confusing to say the least...

Just talking out loud is all...Please somebody set me straight...

Thanks,

Rob

Sorry, I should have used the correct terminology. When I said "free grats" I meant the DSC $13.50/day/person.

What's the rules on canceling (Cliff Notes)? I thought you lost deposit if you rebooked.

Cruise would be approximately ~116 days from today.

Thanks so much everyone.

If you are in US you do not lose your deposit if you cancel with the pre-cancellation period. My understanding is that the UK does lose deposit.