Special Items to Pack to Make the Week Better

We (DW and I) always travel with our own place mats. Yes, cloth place mats that live in DW's purse. We do like eating in the buffet (where else can you get just ONE slice of bacon?) And if we can't have a table cloth, at least we'll have a clean place mat, a place to put our utensils. Call it hoity toity, but it does improve the ambience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These threads always entertain me - kinda along the line of one mans junk is another mans treasure.

The more we travel the more minimalist we have become. Less stuff means a less cluttered cabin. We each carry a back pack for personal items and all our clothing goes in our 22" carry-ons. I tired many of these items above in the past and now the only things I use every cruise that are unique to a cruise are clothes pins, lanyards and wall hooks. Binoculars, fan, extension cords etc travel with us wherever we go.

These threads always entertain me - kinda along the line of one mans junk is another mans treasure.

The more we travel the more minimalist we have become. Less stuff means a less cluttered cabin. We each carry a back pack for personal items and all our clothing goes in our 22" carry-ons. We both have hanging toiletry bags so they fit easily in the bathroom. I tired many of these items above in the past and now the only things I use every cruise that are unique to a cruise are clothes pins, lanyards and wall hooks. Binoculars, fan, extension cords etc travel with us wherever we go.

I've only been on one cruise so far, but will be on my second one in a month. We took duct tape, which we used to hold the shower curtain in place, and we wanted it in case of any emergency luggage repairs. I may pack a few clothespins this time around though. I also took baggies full of shampoo/conditioners, lotions, etc from previous hotel stays. They don't take up much room, and by the time we packed up at the end of the cruise most of it was gone, so I had a little extra room for souvenirs. A Tide pen is a staple wherever we go, as are a variety of sizes of Ziploc bags.

Love your ideas. More people should also bring these.

What I try to bring on every vacation, not just cruises:

* Patience

* Adaptability

* Positivity

* Friendliness

Some people forget theirs at home or have a limited supply to begin with, so I find if I pack plenty of each, then I can spread it around to people I meet, whether they are my fellow travelers/tourists, hospitality professionals, or locals at my destination.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're actually going on the Sunshine again in August, I'm going to take one for the team and bring some toilet paper with me and see if it gets confiscated like the lady claimed in 2013. Going to look silly carrying it around but I must know if it really can happen. It may have been the people at the port too, that was New Orleans and we're doing NYC this time.

I hope you're on my sailing. I don't think I've ever gotten to see someone carry around toilet paper before [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Less is more. It's only a week. That being said, one thing we always bring are inflatable pool noodles, called doodles, for the beach. They are available on Amazon and everyone always asks us about them in port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If not already mentioned, a battery alarm clock. Your phone may or may NOT be on ships time.

A plug-in clock may run fast/slow depending how the voltage is regulated on your ship.

Set that cheap watch, that you need to buy, for Ship's time.

It sounds silly, but, I always ask security, "What is Ship's time?", as I leave the ship at any port.

(Believe it, or not, I have been on a cruise where Ship's time was changed at one port, then returned when we left!)

Just one more thing to consider!;)

Edited by jayscore
content

The more we travel the more minimalist we have become. Less stuff means a less cluttered cabin.

This. A Thousand times over. Looking to haul less stuff, not more.Some of those packing lists I see flying around leave me shaking my head.

There is a great product available at Bed, Bath and Beyond that will help with bathroom odor.

It is called Poopourri. You spray the liquid on the toilet water before using and it takes care of the odor. It comes in various scents.

Soft, cushy toilet paper! Hate that stuff that shreds and pills and leaves debris behind on the behind!

:D

It may make the cruise better for your, but ruin it for your neighbors if it clogs up the system. Please don't do this!

a lot of ships will have board games around the library. So no need to even bring that.

True. Every ship I've been on has a Scrabble game, but I bring my game because: I know it has all the tiles, I can take it anywhere I want to for as long as I like, and it's always available.

I always take a picture of my luggage just before we leave the house. If (God forbid) yours goes missing you will have a picture, not just a description to give to the airline or cruise staff. I also print a large brightly colored paper with my name, address (or work address if you don't want your address known) , phone numbers, flights and ship name and destination. You just never know what could happen.

I also bring a small collapsible soft-sided cooler for ice. I like LOTS of ice and the ice bucket holds about one glassful if ice. The cabin steward fills it in the morning and evening for me. With a few people in a cabin you'll need more ice than they provide.

Edited by Boozebabe