Length of shore excursions, refrigerators

Aquaphile

My husband and I will be taking our first river cruise on the Viking Jarl on November 15, from Nuremberg to Budapest. (We've been on 6 ocean cruises, which makes us pikers compared to some of you!)

I've seen quite a bit of discussion on this site about the nature of shore excursions, but not how long they usually are. We've always done active shore excursions on our ocean cruises, but I'm 3 months post knee replacement right now. While I get around well, and think I would be OK with walking an average speed and crossing other boats if rafted, I can currently only walk about a mile and a half or two without paying with swelling the next day.

Does anyone know the length in miles that are typically covered in a day, and also how long they last (I assume there's some stop times)? I realize it varies by location, but maybe in general.

Also, do the Viking longboats have refrigerators with freezers in the room (for ice packs)?

Thanks for any advice!

On Avalon we walked an average of 5 to 6miles [emoji15]. I had a step counter I borrowed from my daughter. It was the uneven cobblestone streets that got me. Bring Advil!

We did not join the slow walkers group which often got little carts and trains to get them up to where we walked. I remember our CD saying her "Turtle" group would be getting a ride and that she only had enough room for them and that she hoped we would not all try to ride as she only had 30 seats. And no,

no one was insulted by the groups name, that little shuttle train looked very inviting!

Tours 2 to 4 hrs, longer some days depending on if buses are involved. While this was my Avalon experience, I would think Viking would be pretty similar.

Can't help you with the Refrigerator, our refrig did Not have a freezer area.

Edited by JVilleGal

Thanks for the info, JVilleGal! I would imagine the shore excursions are fairly similar between companies. I guess I'll just plan to do as much walking as I can, and take advantage of the carts (or taxis back) if needed. I find it helps me adjust my thinking to know of potential problems in advance, so my expectations are realistic.

Hopefully a Viking passenger will pop in here and give you additional info. We had ice machines available and I used zip lock baggies to ice my knee. Advil lots of Advil and a couple of good walking shoes so you can trade off. If was lovely to come back to the ship and put on a pair of sandals to rest my tired feet.

You will enjoy your cruise no matter how much or little you can do!

Edited by JVilleGal

While we have not traveled with Viking, I imagine that most cruise line excursions are similar. You mentioned ocean cruises and the difference is that many ocean cruises include sea days while river cruises usually don't. So if you "over do" one day it may be difficult to recover and enjoy subsequent excursions. Good advice given so far but by all means take advantage of the gentle walkers group or whatever name it goes by on your cruise. Also discuss your limitations with the CD and perhaps he or she will have suggestions including helping you get a taxi if need be. On our AMA cruise there was an older woman and her daughter who started out on a tour with us but the mom couldn't handle all the walking. The tour guide called our CD, a taxi was arranged for and AMA paid for it. After reading many posts on this forum, it seems that the river cruise lines do try their best to accommodate all passengers. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Just to add a few details: a town like Passau is very hilly and relatively strenous with cobblestones all over the place. Melk Abbey (if that is on your itinerary) is on a hill and we we were bussed there. But needed to walk over steps. Vienna is a little easier. Nevertheless the guided tour meant I walked about a mile on that morning alone. I walked about 4 to 5 miles a day.

So, every excursion could present a problem. Fully agree therefore to discuss the excursions with the CD. He or she will know best.

notamermaid

we did the same VIKING itin' this past summer and I'm told by my Dr I need a new hip but keep pushing as as I'm stubborn. I can walk several miles but it gets pretty damn sore.

We were on ATLA, a longship. For the most part the distance didn't bother me, but most of the walking DID involve hills, sometimes steep hills. A good part of the average walking tour was 'free time' so you could explore, or shop on your own. One could also find a cafe and just watch the world go by .....

There was a real 'fridge in the room and I recall a small freezer part but it was not really necessary as there was an icemaker for pass' use just a few steps from our door. I seldom needed it tho as our room was always stocked with a full ice bucket and bottled water (no charge). Just take a few big (and stronger) zip-locks and you'll be good to go.

Edited by Capt_BJ

My husband and I will be taking our first river cruise on the Viking Jarl on November 15, from Nuremberg to Budapest. (We've been on 6 ocean cruises, which makes us pikers compared to some of you!)

I've seen quite a bit of discussion on this site about the nature of shore excursions, but not how long they usually are. We've always done active shore excursions on our ocean cruises, but I'm 3 months post knee replacement right now. While I get around well, and think I would be OK with walking an average speed and crossing other boats if rafted, I can currently only walk about a mile and a half or two without paying with swelling the next day.

Does anyone know the length in miles that are typically covered in a day, and also how long they last (I assume there's some stop times)? I realize it varies by location, but maybe in general.

Also, do the Viking longboats have refrigerators with freezers in the room (for ice packs)?

Thanks for any advice!

I walk 2 miles every day and let me tell you my legs ached like crazy after our walking excursions on Uniworld! I attribute most of that to the heat (95 - 100 degrees for 11 of the 15 days of our cruise) and the cobblestones. We were in the 'regular walkers' group and there were plenty of stops - no one was ever out of breath. One gentleman carried a folding tripod with a small chair on top and used the breaks to rest. Uniworld (and other lines) also have a 'gentle' walkers group where you go a little slower, may be bused a little further, etc. We made a friend on the cruise recovering from a very serious accident who did the gentle walkers group using a walker.

I walk 2 miles every day and let me tell you my legs ached like crazy after our walking excursions on Uniworld! I attribute most of that to the heat (95 - 100 degrees for 11 of the 15 days of our cruise) and the cobblestones. We were in the 'regular walkers' group and there were plenty of stops - no one was ever out of breath. One gentleman carried a folding tripod with a small chair on top and used the breaks to rest. Uniworld (and other lines) also have a 'gentle' walkers group where you go a little slower, may be bused a little further, etc. We made a friend on the cruise recovering from a very serious accident who did the gentle walkers group using a walker.

I haven't traveled with Viking, but I have a suggestion that might be of help to you since I have walking issues. We're all different, but for me, walking is bad but standing is worse!...this last trip I bought a cane with a seat from Magellan (you see them at the golf matches)....when walking it's a cane but when you stop to listen to the guide explain (sometimes ad nauseum:D) what you're looking at, the seat flips down and it becomes a 3 pronged seat! It costs $30-40 at Magellan; it's considered a medical device so no luggage fee for it and, if you buy one, the day after it arrives take it to a drug store and replace the rubber tips with heavy duty cane tips....they work much better on cobblestones and last longer.

Thanks for all the great advice and encouragement! On our ocean cruises I always walked a lot but it's been over 3 years since our last one and the knee finally gave out.

I've gotten so used to the high tech icing machines and refreezable ice packs that I forgot about the good old fashioned way to ice a wound-will definitely take plastic bags. And I'm going to see if I can get one of those cane/seats- standing is indeed at least as bad as walking. I'll also talk with the CD so I can arrange to see as much as possible. I intend to have fun on this trip any way I can!

Thanks for all the great advice and encouragement! On our ocean cruises I always walked a lot but it's been over 3 years since our last one and the knee finally gave out.

I've gotten so used to the high tech icing machines and refreezable ice packs that I forgot about the good old fashioned way to ice a wound-will definitely take plastic bags. And I'm going to see if I can get one of those cane/seats- standing is indeed at least as bad as walking. I'll also talk with the CD so I can arrange to see as much as possible. I intend to have fun on this trip any way I can!

Just an aside observation....

In Europe ice is not commonly offered or available. Often times soda is served without ice. This is a bit less common, now, but still standard in Europe. I am not saying you can't get ice, but it is not something the locals ask for or desire.

jc

AMA has the cane/seats available to borrow on their ships [also walking sticks; plus two umbrellas in every cabin -- the full-size type that you can lean on].

Just an aside observation....

In Europe ice is not commonly offered or available. Often times soda is served without ice. This is a bit less common, now, but still standard in Europe. I am not saying you can't get ice, but it is not something the locals ask for or desire.

jc

As I discovered in Barcelona when I hurt my knee, even if your hotel doesn't have an ice machine the bar will have a supply of ice and will happily turn a cloth napkin into a MacGyver Ice Pack.

You can also travel with a couple of chemical compresses for those times when you might not be able to access ice? (like this but available at drug stores etc, various brands & sizes http://www.amazon.com/Dynarex-Instant-Cold-Inches-24-Count/dp/B004CQ5NUK)

My mom has knee & foot problems - she can walk, but not too far, and slowly. She did ok on the river cruise (before she got the flu, along with 75% of the rest of the ship - I was the only one in our party of 6 who didn't get sick:rolleyes:) She travels with a monopod/walking stick - her husband (a photographer) can use it when he wants for photographs, and she can use it for stability when walking. I think she needs a cane/seat these days, but she won't admit it, so.....

You can also travel with a couple of chemical compresses for those times when you might not be able to access ice? (like this but available at drug stores etc, various brands & sizes http://www.amazon.com/Dynarex-Instant-Cold-Inches-24-Count/dp/B004CQ5NUK)

My mom has knee & foot problems - she can walk, but not too far, and slowly. She did ok on the river cruise (before she got the flu, along with 75% of the rest of the ship - I was the only one in our party of 6 who didn't get sick:rolleyes:) She travels with a monopod/walking stick - her husband (a photographer) can use it when he wants for photographs, and she can use it for stability when walking. I think she needs a cane/seat these days, but she won't admit it, so.....

Hoyaheel: get her one for Christmas or B-day or just "thanks, Mom" ....trust me, once she uses it on a trip she'll never leave it home again. I was the same way until I got mine!!!

Ice machine will be on the boat for your ziplock baggy treatment which is always served with a glass of wine and an Advil chaser :)

That's how I take my Advil too! It seems to work and I'm beginning to believe my liver is made of cast iron!!! :D