Oceania Club Points Question

gskimmel

I just booked a 14-day extended journey itinerary. As the extended journey itineraries are actually back-to-back cruises, will we get 1 Oceania club point or 2 points (as the itinerary consists of 2 back-to-back cruises)?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just booked a 14-day extended journey itinerary. As the extended journey itineraries are actually back-to-back cruises, will we get 1 Oceania club point or 2 points (as the itinerary consists of 2 back-to-back cruises)?

Thanks

Do you have 2 booking numbers?

How long is each cruise?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For the purpose of O points, "grand voyages" (aka "extended voyages") are treated as a single cruise. So, 1 point only for total of 14 days.

However, you do get double the allotment of pre-cruise specialty restaurant reservations and, if you ask special services beforehand, you may be able to purchase liquor packages "per segment" instead of for the whole cruise.

The real value of the extended voyages is the significant cabin cost savings vs the B2B direction, which I understand Oceania now prohibits when two (or more) B2B segments are listed as a "grand voyage". And, of course, no need to change cabins.

So if they were 2 separate 7 day cruises, it would be 2 points? I thought it was based on number of days cruised?

If 2 booking numbers you will get the cruise credit depending on the cruise length

but now there is a new game where Oceania combines a popular route to a Grand Voyage so you will get 1 credit for up to 24 days

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/oceania-club/levels/

So if they were 2 separate 7 day cruises, it would be 2 points? I thought it was based on number of days cruised?

You're thinking of the rules for another Line.

Oceania Club points are slightly harder to earn, but the rewards once you get there are substantially better.

It is cruises.... the number of defined cruises each with a different booking number. You have to sail like 1- 24 days for 1 credit. However, in the case of a 14 day cruise, which are comprised of 2 7 day segments, and you book each segment with a deposit and booking number you get 1 credit for each.

Yes you have to pay 2 deposits, but , hey your going to have to pay it anyway. Now if you get extra OBC ( bronze-silver-gold etc) and take the cruise as a grand cruise rather than 2 individual cruises you only get 1 OBC, say 200-400 for the 14 day But if you book as individual 7 day cruises you will get that OBC for each cruise!! double.

It gets better with a regular cabin you get 1 guarantee reservation at each specialty restaurant during the cruise If booked as a 14 day grand cruise thats all you get. But, here if you booked each individual 7 day cruises then you double your reservations. For me I will always book the shortest possible segments rather than book as one large one....

You're thinking of the rules for another Line.

Oceania Club points are slightly harder to earn, but the rewards once you get there are substantially better.

FWIW - I used to think Oceania had the best loyalty program but now I think it's Azamara.:(

Edited by Paulchili

Sure.....If you can bank on their being around long enough to collect-

I know. I wouldn't cruise on a cruse line for loyalty benefits alone and I do prefer O to A in most respects.

That said, my O loyalty level would give me several free days (maybe as many as 12) on EVERY cruise and not just every 20th cruise :D

That benefit taken alone IS a big deal, IMO. With all that, we have enjoyed just about every single day on O - can't ask for much more.

Edited by Paulchili

That said, my O loyalty level would give me several free days (maybe as many as 12) on EVERY cruise and not just every 20th cruise

Am I having another one of my "spells" or did you leave a phrase or two out of that sentence? :confused:

It is cruises.... the number of defined cruises each with a different booking number. You have to sail like 1- 24 days for 1 credit. However, in the case of a 14 day cruise, which are comprised of 2 7 day segments, and you book each segment with a deposit and booking number you get 1 credit for each.

Yes you have to pay 2 deposits, but , hey your going to have to pay it anyway. Now if you get extra OBC ( bronze-silver-gold etc) and take the cruise as a grand cruise rather than 2 individual cruises you only get 1 OBC, say 200-400 for the 14 day But if you book as individual 7 day cruises you will get that OBC for each cruise!! double.

It gets better with a regular cabin you get 1 guarantee reservation at each specialty restaurant during the cruise If booked as a 14 day grand cruise thats all you get. But, here if you booked each individual 7 day cruises then you double your reservations. For me I will always book the shortest possible segments rather than book as one large one....

Almost correct except that you do get double reservations on "grand voyages" and O Life OBC equal to both segments. You are correct that loyalty O Club OBC would be better with separate segments. However, the "grand voyage" cabin cost reduction (re: vs 2 segments) will usually be a better deal (unless you're getting the higher end O Club loyalty OBC per segment (as two bookings).

One other item that is somewhat speculation: we've got a grand voyage Sydney to LA (Insignia on its world cruise) in 2018. I booked it as soon as it appeared (good move since the price has jumped significantly). But, when I first looked at it as 2 segments vs Grand Voyage, cabin availability was more restricted than with the Grand Voyage (I.e., enrollment slots are being selectively managed). If this is the case, it's another "value" of Grand Voyage.

was that booking MIA to Alaska, I was really 3 segments, 1 grand and on the Grand I was NOT offered double OBC it was 600 per segment (1800) when booked as 3 vs 1000 for the grand, + 400. 1400 total booking as one + 1.

Factor in 400 3 times rather than 2 and it compensated well. + another $1200 rather than$ 800

Plus another bonus, I one segment I took the liquor on the next the OBC knowing that I am not going to be able to drink for 36 days and want some options along the way.

Seagoing monopoly that you need to look carefuly at.

Am I having another one of my "spells" or did you leave a phrase or two out of that sentence? :confused:

Which phrase are you looking for? :D

If I had cruised on A as much as I had on O, at this point I would be Discoverer Plus.

If I read the benefits correctly, I would get 12 complimentary nights (6 + 3 + 3)upon reaching 2,250 points:

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/le-club-voyage/le-club-voyage-program/member-benefits

Am I not reading this right? Is this just a one time benefit? Even if that were the case, I would reach Discoverer Plat for another 10+ free nights sooner than the 41th cruise on O for 2nd free cruise.

Maybe someone who is more familiar with A can help us clarify?

Edited by Paulchili

Which phrase are you looking for? :D

If I had cruised on A as much as I had on O, at this point I would be Discoverer Plus.

If I read the benefits correctly, I would get 12 complimentary nights (6 + 3 + 3)upon reaching 2,250 points:

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/le-club-voyage/le-club-voyage-program/member-benefits

Am I not reading this right? Is this just a one time benefit? Even if that were the case, I would reach Discoverer Plat for another 10+ free nights sooner than the 41th cruise on O for 2nd free cruise.

Maybe someone who is more familiar with A can help us clarify?

As I read it, via this program Azamara allows the loyal passengers to earn a given number of complimentary nights which they may then redeem by paying the pro-rated fares on a designated number of full fare voyages (i.e discounted cruises are not included).

Based on the manner in which Azamara discounts their product, this could be a very expensive "benefit", indeed.

Blackout dates apply, there is an expiry of benefits after a year, as well as numerous variences based on the country where the passenger lives. :eek:

No thank you, sir-

Almost correct except that you do get double reservations on "grand voyages" and O Life OBC equal to both segments. You are correct that loyalty O Club OBC would be better with separate segments. However, the "grand voyage" cabin cost reduction (re: vs 2 segments) will usually be a better deal (unless you're getting the higher end O Club loyalty OBC per segment (as two bookings).

One other item that is somewhat speculation: we've got a grand voyage Sydney to LA (Insignia on its world cruise) in 2018. I booked it as soon as it appeared (good move since the price has jumped significantly). But, when I first looked at it as 2 segments vs Grand Voyage, cabin availability was more restricted than with the Grand Voyage (I.e., enrollment slots are being selectively managed). If this is the case, it's another "value" of Grand Voyage.

But before they"Created" the Grand Voyage -- you got the extra discount by booking back to backs. It was 5% plus the airfare of one of the trips.

There are other cruise lines that also extend nice reward benefits -- like an additional 5-10% off future cruises. On these lines you do not need the OBC or gratuities since they are inclusive.

O is just cutting back on the credits because it is becoming more costly!! No different than FF miles -- when you approach a free cruise it does become a liability on their books.

That said, my O loyalty level would give me several free days (maybe as many as 12) on EVERY cruise and not just every 20th cruise :D

I am also confused by your statement

or did you mean Aza loyalty ?

I am also confused by your statement

or did you mean Aza loyalty ?

Yes - the Aza loyalty level equivalent to my O Club level.

On Aza it would be Discoverer Plus. With the 2 cruises I already have with them plus all my O cruises (if done with Aza) I would now be Discoverer Plat.

After speaking to Azamara, this is how it works (as I understand it):

750 points - 6 free night

at 1500 points - 3 free nights

2250 points - 3 more night

at 3000 points - 10 free nights (+ 3 more nights after each 750 points).

So with Azamara as a Dicoverer Platinum I would have enjoyed 22 free nights so far. With Oceania I have enjoyed "only" 14 free nights so far.

As far as having to pay "full fare" to get those discounts, Oceania does not discount their fares either - TAs do. The prices are very comparable.

So - it's a bit more rewarding with A as far as free nights go but not as rewarding as I had thought. Also, O has other (better) loyalty perks in addition to free nights (OBC, PPG, Spa, etc)

As I said above, I have no regrets having earned my loyalty with O and not with A

Edited by Paulchili

Just curious how does aza allocate their points ?

Is it 1 point per day of cruising eg 10 day cruise = 10 points

or is it different method

Seems if it was 1point per day would be a lot days to get to 750 points :eek:

Yes - the Aza loyalty level equivalent to my O Club level.

On Aza it would be Discoverer Plus. With the 2 cruises I already have with them plus all my O cruises (if done with Aza) I would now be Discoverer Plat.

2250 points - 3 more night

at 3000 points - 10 free nights (+ 3 more nights after each 750 points).

So with Azamara as a Dicoverer Platinum I would have enjoyed 22 free nights so far. With Oceania I have enjoyed "only" 14 free nights so far.

As far as having to pay "full fare" to get those discounts, Oceania does not discount their fares either - TAs do. The prices are very comparable.

So - it's a bit more rewarding with A as far as free nights go but not as rewarding as I had thought. Also, O has other (better) loyalty perks in addition to free nights (OBC, PPG, Spa, etc)

As I said above, I have no regrets having earned my loyalty with O and not with A

I totaly understand your rational, I have Regent perks but dont care to use them after I found Oceaina . The Azamar dealL ONLY WORKS if you like Azamar..

In that respect they would not work for me as I decided after years of cruising that Oceania was where all the boxes I liked were checked, where the lines on my graph crossed, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

It is meaningless thus to some, myself included, what the others offer because I see no point in sailing another line. Its about perceptual value to the individual

Yes it limits me.. but I am willing to accept those limits to enjoy the intrinsic pleasure just from being on an O ship. ( it could sail around in circles for weeks and I'd be happy just enjoying life.)

Just curious how does aza allocate their points ?

Is it 1 point per day of cruising eg 10 day cruise = 10 points

or is it different method

Seems if it was 1point per day would be a lot days to get to 750 points :eek:

Sliding scale - from interior cabin 2 points/night up to PH 8 points/night, suites 18 points/night sailed

Edited by Paulchili

Sliding scale - from interior cabin 2 points/night up to PH 8 points/night, suites 18 points/night sailed

Thanks Paul

I guess if you sail in PH or above it would work better to get to the prize faster :D

Azamara has not ticked enough boxes for us to consider them

Thanks Paul

I guess if you sail in PH or above it would work better to get to the prize faster :D

Azamara has not ticked enough boxes for us to consider them

For my calculations of Aza points I took the cabin that O gave us for our "free" cruise - i.e. the cabin we averaged over the first 20 cruises. That would be the most fair way for my comparison.