MDR and Specialty Restaurant Table Sizes

foodsvcmgr

We are very experienced cruisers (53 total), in recent years mostly HAL, Celebrity, and Princess.

Considering trying SIRENA primarily for a Cuban itinerary not available on other lines.

Looking at photos and deck plans, it appears most tables in the dining rooms are quite large with few tables for 2 in evidence. Is this correct? Is it difficult to obtain seating for two only?

I don't mind saying hello or making brief, polite conversation around the ship or on tour but have no interest dining with other than DW and have not had to do so at sea for many years now,

Thanks for any information.

No, there are plenty of two tops in all restaurants. There are a few 8-10 person tables. More are 4-6. But if you want to dine alone you shouldn't have a problem.

On Oceania (and Renaissance before it) they give you the option of dining with others ... or not! We like to share, but very often (mainly because of timing) we've been shown to a table for two. If you were to want to share (and I know you don't), and you show up at a time when no one else is waiting to share -- they aren't likely to start a large table in hopes that others will show up soon because they want everyone eating at the same time. So two tops are definitely there.

I don't know if you are looking at a particular ship. But you really shouldn't have a problem getting a table for two. You may have better luck booking early or late rather than in the shank of the evening.

When booking in the specialty restaurants, you shouldn't have a problem.

Mura

There are times when the 2 tops are scarce but for the most part you can usually get one

Sometimes there may be a longer wait than if you share

A lot of people seem to prefer to dine alone

Looking at photos and deck plans, it appears most tables in the dining rooms are quite large with few tables for 2 in evidence. Is this correct? Is it difficult to obtain seating for two only?
085608.jpg

What is impossible to see on the deck plans is that all of those rectangular tables for six and eight, which seemingly line the perimeter of the room, each consist of three or four two tops pushed together.

There are a great many tables for two.

Edited by JimandStan
missing word

Are you referring to the main dining room, terrace/waves or the specialties?

For specialties, it could be difficult to find a two-top.

For terrace/waves, it depends on which tables are open as it's buffet-style seating.

For the main dining room, it is not difficult, but you have to expect a wait which may be over 15 minutes if it's during a particularly busy time. However, you can enjoy a pre-dinner drink at the Baristas bar just outside the dining room while you wait.

Are you referring to the main dining room, terrace/waves or the specialties?

For specialties, it could be difficult to find a two-top.

For terrace/waves, it depends on which tables are open as it's buffet-style seating.

For the main dining room, it is not difficult, but you have to expect a wait which may be over 15 minutes if it's during a particularly busy time. However, you can enjoy a pre-dinner drink at the Baristas bar just outside the dining room while you wait.

We've cruised 8 times on "O" ships and never had a problem getting a 2 top in any place on the ship.

I am bemused -- amused? -- at this question of the feasibility of dining alone.

We like to dine with others. We dine alone at home all the time, so on a cruise we prefer to meet our fellow passengers. Once or twice over 15 years the encounters weren't perfect, but it's never been horrible, and the vast majority of the time we have enjoyed the company.

But a good number of times when we arrived at the GDR and asked to share, we were told we couldn't ... and so we got a private table. Based on our experience, I don't see where it's a problem if that is your preference. This has been the case on the "R" ships as well as on the "O" ships.

It's true that when making reservations in specialty reservations if you want to dine alone you may have to come in early or late rather than in the shank of the dining hour. But that's not always the case either.

Mura

Just my 2 cents

One of the best reasons for cruising oceania is your fellow passengers. I think you will find them somewhat different from those on the mass market lines

A great way to meet them is by sharing a table.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We tend to eat later and never had a problem getting a dinner table for two at the specialties (reservation only) or main dining room. There was a few times where we were told we had a 20 minute wait for a 2 top at dinner in the MDR and that turned into 5-10 minutes max. Trying for a table for two at the Terrace Cafe is a different story but we don't eat at the buffet for dinner. Lunch and breakfast can be chaotic in the Terrace Cafe with everyone dining at the same time trying to get to tours or arriving back from tours at the same time.