Northern lights in Denali in July

JP-Cruise

I'd be stunned if you get to see an aurora - depending exactly when in July, you may have no true darkness at all! There's only 3-5hours between sunset and sunrise, and most of that is still civil twilight.

If it's in any way important to you to see, rather than a 'nice to have - but no expectations' part of the trip, consider changing your dates a lot or, more efficiently, scheduling a totally separate Aurora-focused trip in winter.

I'd be stunned if you get to see an aurora - depending exactly when in July, you may have no true darkness at all! There's only 3-5hours between sunset and sunrise, and most of that is still civil twilight.

If it's in any way important to you to see, rather than a 'nice to have - but no expectations' part of the trip, consider changing your dates a lot or, more efficiently, scheduling a totally separate Aurora-focused trip in winter.

Oh really, hence why they call it he land of the midnight sun lol. No it's not an important part of my trip. Just I heard I can request a wake up call in Denali if the aurora does come out. It would just be a bonus that's all

Wake up calls probably more of a chance in late-Sept after equinox. Even so we are just past the solar minimum and it will be 3-4 years until it's close to maximum and activity is good.. A Winter visit to Chena Hot Springs near Fairbanks is on our radar at the next maximum precisely for aurora viewing as well as serious soaking. Virtually guarantied viewing as long as sky is clear.

Wake up calls probably more of a chance in late-Sept after equinox. Even so we are just past the solar minimum and it will be 3-4 years until it's close to maximum and activity is good.. A Winter visit to Chena Hot Springs near Fairbanks is on our radar at the next maximum precisely for aurora viewing as well as serious soaking. Virtually guarantied viewing as long as sky is clear.

So basically my chances of seeing aurora in Denali this July are slim to none? lol

Your chances of seeing the northern lights in Denali in July are essentially zero. Google the website for the Geophysical Institute at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks as that website has some information on statistical probabilities.

Actually, this past winter in Fairbanks we have had some great aurora viewing.

Your chances of seeing the northern lights in Denali in July are essentially zero. Google the website for the Geophysical Institute at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks as that website has some information on statistical probabilities.

Actually, this past winter in Fairbanks we have had some great aurora viewing.

Lol ok, good to know, thanks. Ya it's not a big deal for me. The highlight for me will be Denali national park :)

As someone who spent a summer having to make those middle-of-the-night calls, don't count on it, even in September when there is more likely to be aurora. There is always a ridiculously long list of rooms to call. I would start as soon as the night security guard told me that the lights were out. I usually only made it part way through the list before they stopped. The next morning, some people would be ticked that they didn't get called and those who did get called were upset because the lights were gone before they managed to get up, pee, get dressed and go outside.

One of the last nights in the season, the guard came in to tell me the lights were out. I told him I needed to start making calls. He said, "F*** the list," grabbed my hand and took me outside to see them for myself. So incredible!

As someone who spent a summer having to make those middle-of-the-night calls, don't count on it, even in September when there is more likely to be aurora. There is always a ridiculously long list of rooms to call. I would start as soon as the night security guard told me that the lights were out. I usually only made it part way through the list before they stopped. The next morning, some people would be ticked that they didn't get called and those who did get called were upset because the lights were gone before they managed to get up, pee, get dressed and go outside.

One of the last nights in the season, the guard came in to tell me the lights were out. I told him I needed to start making calls. He said, "F*** the list," grabbed my hand and took me outside to see them for myself. So incredible!

Haha that's awesome. What lodge was this?

I did it. Spent a week at Chena, Make sure that you pick a time when there is no moon. Also, pick a time when they have the Ice Carving Festival. Just a comment - it you take the snow cat trips to the top of the mountain, it will be unimaginably cold.

I just can not figure out how people think that they might see aurora at a time of the year when it never gets really dark. Beats me.

DON

I did it. Spent a week at Chena, Make sure that you pick a time when there is no moon. Also, pick a time when they have the Ice Carving Festival. Just a comment - it you take the snow cat trips to the top of the mountain, it will be unimaginably cold.

I just can not figure out how people think that they might see aurora at a time of the year when it never gets really dark. Beats me.

DON

Well I just read this one thread today that someone saw the Aurora in August, and they told him that he was very very fortunate...so it is possible to see it in the summer then. Just a rare opportunity

it you take the snow cat trips to the top of the mountain, it will be unimaginably cold.

Good point on the moon phase. Cold I can deal with after half my life living in Minnesota. -30°F (or lower with windchill) is OK if dressed right. Did leave all the serious winter gear back in MN last year but I know what it takes to beat the cold. Saw the Northern Lights many times in MN back when the north magnetic pole was closer to MN than AK. Now it has wandered up toward the actual pole so better for AK.

I have seen aurora in Alaska multiple times with the earliest being mid August. My "winter" trips were in March, so to also take advantage of the Ice Sculpture Championships. I prefer the viewing from Cleary Summit to Chena Hot Springs, having stayed at both. :) Also stayed one trip at Chatanika. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I have seen aurora in Alaska multiple times with the earliest being mid August. My "winter" trips were in March, so to also take advantage of the Ice Sculpture Championships. I prefer the viewing from Cleary Summit to Chena Hot Springs, having stayed at both. :) Also stayed one trip at Chatanika. :)

Oh so you think it is possible from

Some act of God that I may be able

To see the aurora in Denali in July?

Or maybe the earth flips on its axis.

Considering the sunrise will be, on average 5:00 am and set around 11:30 pm, the odds on it even being dark enough about the same as winning the mega ball.

This is not a measure of light. with the twilight it will be a good amount of light at 1am then again at 3am. dusk, in between, which I've experienced early July, several times. Will be there again this year, through the solstice leaving in a couple weeks. Great time to visit. :)

I've got my fingers crossed for our early September trip later this year. We're getting off a cruise in Whittier, and th e furthest north we're going to get is Denali NP. I'm not holding my breath though, it'll be a long shot :)

I've got my fingers crossed for our early September trip later this year. We're getting off a cruise in Whittier, and th e furthest north we're going to get is Denali NP. I'm not holding my breath though, it'll be a long shot :)

Are you going independent and will have a car?

I highly recommend that DAILY you check the prediction stats and be out for 'active". IF you have cloud cover, then just head back to bed. You must have clear skies ad the ability to see stars.

Are you going independent and will have a car?

I highly recommend that DAILY you check the prediction stats and be out for 'active". IF you have cloud cover, then just head back to bed. You must have clear skies ad the ability to see stars.

Yes, we'll have a car. We're staying a night in Talkeetna, 2 nights at Denali Bluffs, a night in Girdwood, 2 nights in Seward. Will check the forecasts etc and make sure I'm ready to go on nights that are going to be clear. As I said, we'll have our fingers crossed but understand it's unlikely that time of year.. we're going to have a great time anyway :)

Yes, we'll have a car. We're staying a night in Talkeetna, 2 nights at Denali Bluffs, a night in Girdwood, 2 nights in Seward. Will check the forecasts etc and make sure I'm ready to go on nights that are going to be clear. As I said, we'll have our fingers crossed but understand it's unlikely that time of year.. we're going to have a great time anyway :)

you'll have to drive away from the Bluffs, that place is too lit up. Your best areas are Denali and Talkeetna. Seward way too light also, Girdwood, is going to be obstructive since it's so wooded and steep mountains, not ideal.

you'll have to drive away from the Bluffs, that place is too lit up. Your best areas are Denali and Talkeetna. Seward way too light also, Girdwood, is going to be obstructive since it's so wooded and steep mountains, not ideal.

Actually the overflow/employee parking lot at the Denali Bluffs is a pretty good place to see the Northern Lights. I saw them once from there. No artificial light pollution and only some employee RV's parked there with no lights on them.

You could also head into the park and drive a few miles on the park road until you are above the tree line. Some good places there with mountains and some trees in the foreground.