Just got "upgraded"

rp23g7

So we just got upgraded on the 9/25 cruise on the Grand. From L202, to A306,

Not sure I am going to fall for this again. We were on the Regal last yr, and had L109, and got "upgraded" to a mid balcony on Deck 8 I believe, the one right above the life boats.

So the boat was not in front of it, but right below, and the davits were on each side of the balcony between cabins, but the cables went across in front of the cabin, and if I looked down all I saw was a life boat.

Couldn't get any good pictures, not really what I would call a upgrade. Anyone been in A306?

Not sure I am going to fall for this again. We were on the Regal last yr, and had L109, and got "upgraded" to a mid balcony on Deck 8 I believe, the one right above the life boats.

So the boat was not in front of it, but right below, and the davits were on each side of the balcony between cabins, but the cables went across in front of the cabin, and if I looked down all I saw was a life boat.

Couldn't get any good pictures, not really what I would call a upgrade. Anyone been in A306?

If you do not want your cabin "upgraded" by Princess, you need to mark it "no upgrades"

As for the different cabin this time - it's a minimal change really. You'll have cabins above and below you, although your almost back far enoigh to be under the pizza area - but not quite. Should be quiet unobstructed views, close to stairs for real easy access up to pool deck, food options, etc...wouldn't bother me, unless you specifically wanted L202 for whatever of your own reasons may be...you can always try to get switched back...Happy sails.

On any Grand class ship there will be no lifeboat obstructions of any kind for a balcony cabin. The lifeboats are "pulled in" and are stored above the walkway on Promenade deck.

A306 looks good to me, not as far forward and there wont be any obstructions....Lido Deck is convenient too but I would prefer 306. personal opinion. The cabins are identical.

Edited by Murphey

This is not true.

Yes, it is. Very few true upgrades are offered, balcony to mini-suite, ocean view to balcony, etc. Instead, Princess is offering upsells, which are upgrades for a fee. Can you still get upgraded from an ocean view to a balcony? Yes, bit it's very rare. The upsells are, however, very popular.

Yes, it is. Very few true upgrades are offered, balcony to mini-suite, ocean view to balcony, etc. Instead, Princess is offering upsells, which are upgrades for a fee. Can you still get upgraded from an ocean view to a balcony? Yes, bit it's very rare. The upsells are, however, very popular.

Because the OP is referring to the Grand sailing that they have scheduled, I would still consider this a location "upgrade" without question.

YMMV

Edited by ar1950

Um, OK. I didn't realize getting a category upgrade wasn't a true upgrade. Hrmph. Personally, getting a category upgrade is still an upgrade; it's a cabin that would have cost me more than what I paid.

For what it's worth, I approach every booking with two simple decisions: what's the lowest category I'm willing to book (that's what I book), and are there any higher categories that I don't want (if so, mark the booking no-upgrade).

Because the OP is referring to the Grand sailing that they have scheduled, I would still consider this a location "upgrade" without question.

YMMV

I wasn't referring to the OP, rather another poster. IMHO, the upgrade the OP got was from Lido to Aloha. I would have kept the Lido location.

I wasn't referring to the OP, rather another poster. IMHO, the upgrade the OP got was from Lido to Aloha. I would have kept the Lido location.

I, on the other hand, was referring to the OP. And, as I said, IMHO, it was definitely a LOCATION upgrade. One time on the Lido deck cabin on a Grand class ship was enough for us. Aloha or Baja is our choice if that is the balcony class that we want when we are on those ships. As I said, YMMV.

BTW, chill Nina, not trying to start a flame war. See you on the Alaska cruise. Peace. :)

Edited by ar1950

When's the best time to check on a paid upgrade? I haven't sailed on Princess for 15 years. I booked an OV nd would like a balcony if the price is right. NCL offers

upgrades 2 weeks before the cruise. How about Princess?

It's good upgrade ... Be Happy!:)

Yes, it looks like it. I was looking at a picture of the ship. I didn't realize that L202 was that close behind the bridge, and had no "forward" view.

it would probably be a really hot deck as no breeze would make it around the bridge area, ewww not good.

When's the best time to check on a paid upgrade? I haven't sailed on Princess for 15 years. I booked an OV nd would like a balcony if the price is right. NCL offers

We are going on the 8/13/16 Crown Princess sailing, and received an OV to balcony upsell offer this week.

On a separate note, it is possible to have your booking marked "meta upgrade only" so you will only receive an upgrade if it is interior to OV, OV to balcony, etc.

Yes, it looks like it. I was looking at a picture of the ship. I didn't realize that L202 was that close behind the bridge, and had no "forward" view.

it would probably be a really hot deck as no breeze would make it around the bridge area, ewww not good.

Lido forward view attached (Grand to Hawaii last March - note cold people above bridge)

The guy leaning out is in L201 or 205, port side. You could've helped :) drive the boat.

Given it is cold out and he's out there in short sleeves so it may be good on a cold climate cruise.

Grand-lido.jpg.c7fbffaa8f709183cae1e09bf5bbb68b.jpg

We are on the same Sailing as you and I bought the lowest category Balcony Guarantee and got C320......Happy to have it!!! Mark

It is nothing you can check for.

If Princess wants your cabin and wants to entice you with a offer to pay for an upgrade, they will send the offer to your Travel Agent who is supposed to pass the offer on to you. If you have the booking directly with Princess, then Princess will contact you directly with the offer.

Lido forward view attached (Grand to Hawaii last March - note cold people above bridge)

The guy leaning out is in L201 or 205, port side. You could've helped :) drive the boat.

Given it is cold out and he's out there in short sleeves so it may be good on a cold climate cruise.

Sorry Ferd, that location does not make it any less cold on the balcony. Been there, done that.

I remember one time, we were on a B2B and we booked a GTY inside cabin. Our TA assured us that we probably would NOT have to change cabins mid-cruise but lo and behold they had a different inside cabin to give us and I turned it down saying this was not an upgrade (even though it was a few decks higher). I told her that I wanted to keep the same cabin and she said they could not honor that request but as it turned out, they ended up finding an obstructed view cabin on Emerald deck so we took it. The bad thing was that the cabin steward was nowhere to be found since he was so busy getting other cabins ready for the next group of passengers getting on and I guess I was a bit impatient waiting for him that I moved everything myself (even without a luggage cart they had promised me) - took about 4 trips to move everything on hangers and the rest of the stuff had to go back in the suitcase but was worth it to get that upgrade without having to pay for it. I guess that's the chance you take when you're on a GTY status and you're on a B2B. I will go with confirmed cabin next time around!

If you do not want your cabin "upgraded" by Princess, you need to mark it "no upgrades"

As for the different cabin this time - it's a minimal change really. You'll have cabins above and below you, although your almost back far enoigh to be under the pizza area - but not quite. Should be quiet unobstructed views, close to stairs for real easy access up to pool deck, food options, etc...wouldn't bother me, unless you specifically wanted L202 for whatever of your own reasons may be...you can always try to get switched back...Happy sails.

Hey, I recognize your screen name but can't remember your first name. I believe we met on a holiday cruise a few years back. You might remember me and my husband (Laurie & Michael) and we live very close to the port of San Pedro. Come to think of it, maybe we met on the Star Princess to Hawaii in 2013 - does that ring a bell? If so, please send me an E-mail at cruiselover57@yahoo.com.

Laurie

The process for Princess is totally different from NCL. NCL has an upsell department and you can proactively reach out to them about a paid upgrade about two weeks out up to the day before departure. As previously noted, Princess will contact you, or your TA if you booked through one, if they wish to offer you an upsell.