TK menus - our take

rols

I'm not a fan of any of the TK dishes as f now.

I'm waiting for an expanded menu in the Colonnade which as of May, hadn't happened.

We will be on the Encore in December, it will be interesting to see and taste the expanded menus and the new restaurant.

We don't like family style anything. If we cruise Seabourn can we avoid the TK experience? For us the FL was very good but not the best dining experience we have ever had. We have some better venues in Palm Beach. Also, can we request special orders given advanced notice if they have the ingredients?

Yes. I had all the TK options while dining with the person I was traveling with only. It's family style for just those at the table. So if you're solo or with one person it's family style for you/the two of you.

On my recent trip, we had a 7PM reservation on the TK Colonnade night (right when they open) and at the entrance DH and I were asked if we wanted to join a table or dine alone. We agreed to a group, and were then seated at a window table for six. The strangers who joined us after a few minutes were fine as conversation company, but there were a few difficulties with the "family style" serving of the big platter of BBQ ribs. It was messy to split it up into six portions at the table, then landed up being lukewarm due to the delays though was still tasty. The giant fresh and pretty salad was served without even close to adequate green goddess dressing in the containers (even after I asked for "more, please" the waiters still did not bring enough) so as people were with strangers, they were all trying to be super polite about not taking too much dressing, or eating more available nice salad when the dressing was all gone. There was also not enough space on the table to have the bowls and plates passed around. So there was some logistical awkwardness, but not a huge deal.

In hindsight I would have preferred just having DH and myself at the TK Colonnade dining so we could just reach and grab things around each other as needed :)

The biggest topic, though, was "jeans envy", namely, that the servers were in jeans, but the pax (all of whom apparently liked jeans) were abiding by the "no jeans after 6" dress code. Wine was also served in hip stemless glasses, (making me less likely to knock them over) but you can ask for glasses with stems.

Thank you for your feedback. Love steak tartare. Crystal still does it table side but that is not a big deal to us as long as it is yummy. I am sure we will not starve. Now just to pick the right itinerary and ship.

We were told that steak tartare cannot be prepared table side on Crystal any longer due to food hygiene regulations. We went to management over this.

We ordered it one night on our June Odyssey cruise and even though it was not made table side it was delicious. When you board have a chat with the Asst. Maitre'd and he/she will "make it so" on a mutually convenient night.

We were told that steak tartare cannot be prepared table side on Crystal any longer due to food hygiene regulations. We went to management over this.

We did not order it on our recent Crystal cruise we did notice that we did not see table side Caesar salad being prepared either.

Returning to the original title of this thread ..

We didn't try any of the other TK specials in the MDR, either we weren't in the MDR, or it was a day there wasn't a TK insert or it didn't really appeal as much as something else on the regular menu.

We did do the family style dining with four friends on the last night, it was pork ribs night. The pork ribs themselves were ok, no better nor worse than some we'd had at the patio grill earlier in the week, they were fine. The wilted greens they were served with were really rather pointless, tasted of nothing much and didn't look particularly appetising piled onto the dish. The salad which preceded the whole thing was awful. Chunks of lettuce heart, some dots of egg and a sauce which again didn't actually seem to taste of anything; and it was all served too cold as well. The salad was bad enough that we commented to the waitress about it.

After that we had some passable (non-Humbolt) cheese and as I rarely eat dessert I didn't try it, everyone ate theirs, nobody ate mine, I don't recall any comments on it at all.

We did have the Napa burger at the patio grill twice, which is unusual for us, but it was very good, juicy and perfectly cooked. Whether it was better than a non-napa burger I cannot say but it was very good and even if you aren't a burger-eater, save some room for it and try one.

The non-TK food we had the whole two weeks was uniformly good. We mixed up the MDR, R2 and some of the special nights in the colonnade and found all the dishes to be creative, tasty, well cooked and there was good use made of locally sourced ingredients. Props to Chef Jes who really did a super job and the Chef's menu on the second week was our favourite of the cruise.

R2 was full every night. Strange having heard so many complaints about what a waste of space it was a couple of years ago, it now seems to be very popular and well-liked .. just before it goes away. I'll miss it.

So my redux on the TK offerings we had on board was that they weren't very good. Although edible they were the worst two meals we ate during the cruise and, despite the frothy adjective-laden descriptions of each offering, the dishes were uninspiring and bland, both in appearance and taste. Most damning for a 'special partnership', the TK offerings were totally surpassed by all the 'normal fare' coming out of the kitchen.

So my redux on the TK offerings we had on board was that they weren't very good. Although edible they were the worst two meals we ate during the cruise and, despite the frothy adjective-laden descriptions of each offering, the dishes were uninspiring and bland, both in appearance and taste. Most damning for a 'special partnership', the TK offerings were totally surpassed by all the 'normal fare' coming out of the kitchen.

Our thoughts very much mimic Rols view. The food produced under the guidance of Chef Jes was far superior to the TK offerings and Mr Techno would definitely agree with the 'frothy adjective' comment.

I just feel that It is unrealistic to try to recreate a land based restaurant on a ship where supplies can be uncertain if you do not allow the very experienced chefs the opportunity to use their creative skills to compensate for missing ingredients.

I sailed on Sojourn for 18 days in July. I must admit I have hesitated to write my husband's and my thoughts.

The crew were as wonderful as always and would aim to make our cruise special. We enjoyed all our ports of call around southern France, Italy, Malta and Spain.

Our main disappointment was with the Thomas Keller in the MDR. For two reasons -

1) We felt the normal Chef's food was better then TK but on the nights that there was TK we felt we had less choice as we had tried the TK offerings before and they hadn't appealed. We tried a few of the TK menu items this time and they still didn't Wow us.

2) Now they have no cutlery down and just prior to your course being served they will put down what is required. So the dining room is missing it's sparkle from the cutlery and I think looks a little less special. I know.........first world problems. Gunter from Corporate was on board and he told us that TK prefers it this way as he likes it more minimalist. Though a couple of waiters said it was because people would use the wrong cutlery when it was all set on the table, that meant they were left short of the correct utensils. I thought this sounded a bit of an excuse.

On the second cruise we had the Chef's dinner with a lady and her husband. She is the head manager for Kempinski Hotels. The meal was the wonderful and we had all the cutlery out, menus and sparkle. The comment was made from this lady "This is what I have been missing so far on this cruise.......the Wow factor". She loved it and I reassured her this was more what we were used to......apart from the special menu that was served that night.

My comment to management on board and in Corporate? I am happy you are trying to be innovative but please don't let TK be all invasive on the ship. I fell in love with the Seabourn brand not Thomas Keller and as much as I am looking forward to trying his speciality restaurant.........I don't want it everywhere.

Julie

Rols, while my Colonnade TK dinner were more successful than yours I also echo many of your and Julie's TK comments. The whole TK on Seabourn enterprise still has me scratching my head. Especially as I remember what a failure the Charlie Palmer partnership was it has to make you wonder if amnesia has taken over Seabourn's executive suite. The most telling thing of all is how we all feel that Seabourn's chefs (particularly when you are lucky enough to have chefs like Jes, Rajat and Franck) are so very good and take such pride in what comes out of their kitchens that it is hard for even a well respected chef such as TK to take his land based cuisine/experience to compete. In my case my final judgement will be withheld unti after my holiday Antarctica cruise on the Quest where I will have the opportunity to try the actual Tk Restaurant.

The whole TK on Seabourn enterprise still has me scratching my head. Especially as I remember what a failure the Charlie Palmer partnership was it has to make you wonder if amnesia has taken over Seabourn's executive suite. The most telling thing of all is how we all feel that Seabourn's chefs (particularly when you are lucky enough to have chefs like Jes, Rajat and Franck) are so very good and take such pride in what comes out of their kitchens that it is hard for even a well respected chef such as TK to take his land based cuisine/experience to compete. In my case my final judgement will be withheld unti after my holiday Antarctica cruise on the Quest where I will have the opportunity to try the actual Tk Restaurant.

So one positive takeaway from this is that the food on Seabourn (at least currently on the Odyssey) is very good and IMO has a better range and quality than ever before. It got to the point I could pretty much name you the speciality nights in the Colonnade in order and recognise the description of every item on the MDR menu. That wasn't the case at all on this cruise and it seemed the chefs are being given more discretion to be creative than they used to.

I have trouble believing that after all the training, the reported insistence on exact recipes and sources for ingredients, that the dishes currently being served are very much different from the way Thomas Keller specified them and wanted them to taste and look. The R2 menus are far more fiddly and yet the chefs there always appear to have been able to produce them consistently. I think it's more likely that his current recipes are not as much to my taste as other offerings from the Seabourn kitchen.

The new Grille will be interesting, although I'll miss R2. The menu as posted some time ago looks pretty simple and classic, so perhaps on the day I'm in the mood for a steak we'll go there instead of ordering one off the Seabourn Classic menu. Or perhaps I'll do both and compare them. It may be a while, looks like another 18 months until the Grille is rolled out fleetwide.

TK Grill last night on the Quest after departing from Liverpool.

Crab cake appetizer on the bland side despite the spicy description,(more crab, please), while partner enjoyed and complimented the "Gulf" shrimp and especially the artichoke appetizers.

Shared the "Elysian" lamb main course, (for 2), with sides of mac/cheese, "wilted" spinach and mushrooms.

Lamb was extremely tender and flavorful, somewhat under cooked for my liking, as I prefer the Patio grill lamb versions. Partner, a picky carnivore, who likes meat "mooing and moving", was thoroughly impressed.

Sides were tasty and well proportioned.

Passed on the desserts.

Service, knowledge of menu, timing and execution was flawless.

Low key effort and suggestions by sommelier to order wine from "revenue" list.

Impression is that a lot of effort and attention to detail placed on TK Grill.

Two Seattle "corporate" types boarded recently, ( G & L), as well as Hotman, often seen hovering around TK Grill, obviously preparing for rollout to Sojourn and Odyssey.

About 6 fellow passengers who dined at the TK Grill all raved about the chicken main course, (for 2). If we get another chance to dine there, as this is a 16 day cruise, we'll give it a try. Reservation was easy to come by as the request was made same day at about noon. (Aware of one couple who has dined there 4 times(!) and counting with less than a week to go).

IMO, a very good and improved replacement for the tired R2 venue.

Edited by ravenclaw
typo

Good to hear a positive review - I am hoping once TK has a dedicated area on each ship the consistency will improve.

My issue is the apparent impossibility of 'adjusting' things to either customer taste or available ingredients. So if you make a suggestion to the chef that you would like more crab in your crab cake then I am sure (off the ships menu,) next time there would be more crab but if TK says 3.14159265359 pieces you get a piece of pi :D

Love your last comment, Techno123.

My opinion seems to coincide with most, both personal and hearing what others have said. The dishes in the MDR were hit and miss, but sadly more miss; the casual style stuff in the Colonnade was forgettable mostly, but the TK grill on Quest seemed and still seems to be pretty good. Just a pity it will not be available on Sojourn and Odyssey until after dry dock, ages off. I also get the impression that TK is very fussy about not changing anything of his, and that it is not therefore always working.

• 3 months later...

What may I ask is your standing custom dessert order? Give me some ideas? I really like the idea of it waiting in the Suite for me.

Thanks,

Bruce4fun

Having sailed on both Crystal and Seabourn the ability to order special dishes is unsurpassed on Seabourn. I love table side preparation of Steak Diane. If you have some favorite dishes just let them know at least 24 hours in advance (sometimes not needed depending on the order) and they will make it happen.

I highly recommend you do Shopping with the Chef. Without a doubt, every time I participate it is the highlight of the cruise. My favorite places were Sorrento, Corfu and in Salalah, Oman. Have the freshest hand made mozzarella cheese and prosciutto served for lunch after having watched Chef pick it, negotiate the price and purchase it made it even more special.

I also have a standing order for a custom desert delivered every night to my suite so it is waiting for me when get back.

On some SB cruise my DH's standing dessert was the Parade of Creme Brûlée -- three lovely little ramekins with white chocolate , milk chocolate and dark chocolate versions. Then each evening he would try to determine his favorite.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

These days, not even the F&B Manager knows exactly what wines will arrive aboard in the next container shipment. They constantly change and as one Bar Manager put it "what you get is what you get".

On a recent trip in November we found the complimentary wine selection (to our taste) to be pretty poor. Basically the same quality as you would be served on a international business class flight.

There were a few nice ones, but they tended to run out very quickly.

Back to the topic of this thread, "TK menus - our take", we are on Encore and have enjoyed immensely the stylish TK Grill on 2 occasions. Food, service and decor have been tremendous! So well done Seabourn!

Over the past year and on the ships that have yet to convert R2, Odyssey and Sojourn, we did try some of the MDR appetizers and main courses from the TK options list. Now I am wondering what that was all about. The mushy salmon and the bland, textureless sous vide lamb mains are thankfully no where to be seen.

I think Seabourn did itself a disservice with this approach over the past year plus. Lesson: either do something fully and completely or don't since anything less at this level of luxury and quality is bound to confuse and disappoint.

Fortunately Quest has done its R2 conversion with Ody following this spring and Soj this fall, I understand.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Restaurant 2 = R2.

Even with the wonderful TK Grill open for our current Quest cruise on many nights in the Restaurant there is still an insert listing a few TK entrees and a dessert. And of course there are the occasional TK Ad Hoc inspired dinners in the Colonnade.

Sent from my iPad using Forums