Reflection with 13 yr old - January, 7 night Caribbean

bubbadogmom

I'm pretty sure that I'll get different answers based on the board I post on but that's ok.

I cruise a lot. My friend has asked me for assistance choosing a cruise.

I'm a celebrity girl myself, but do you think that there will be enough other kids in January for a 13 yr old to enjoy the teen club?

They won't leave her there all the time - but sometimes I'm sure they'd like some alone time.

The alternative is that I will direct them to RCL allure. I know there will be enough to keep her entertained on that ship.

Just looking for cruisers who have taken kids/teens on celebrity outside of spring break time - will there be enough kids for her to hang out with in her age range? I know I don't recall seeing many........

Thx all in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Although there may be enough to do on Celebrity, I would choose a Royal Caribbean cruise where there will be more children, a higher energy level, and more things for everyone to do.

If keeping the 13 yr old entertained is the focus, Celebrity may not be the right fit. Their programs are very good, but there will most definitely 'NOT BE a large group of English speaking kids on board during a non Holiday or spring break sailing. Where as on RCCL the chances would be better.

That said sailing on Celebrity helped our kids (IMHO) develop better habits and manners when interacting with others. It is still their favorite line, since 1994 of the 5 we took them on.

EW

Edited by wallie5446

I agree with all of the posters suggesting the RCI sailing with one caveat. If the 13 year olds are girls, they might be comfortable on a Celebrity ship laying in the sun on sea days. Boys, nope. I watched three early teen boys wander onto the lawn area of Silhouette, nice kids. They messed around on the big chairs and laid down on the hammocks. After 15 minutes they were bored and wrestling each other. I thought to myself, what more do they have to do?

Kids are back in school in January. So there will be many fewer than if going during a break. We cruise in Jan. every year and see only a handful, if that, on the ships.

For sure go with Royal Carib. If too few kids, they'll blend the age groups and find things to do onboard that will fit the majority.

We cruise a lot in January, and you rarely see teens or school age children on board at that time. Kids are just back in school from a long Christmas vacation, and those who want to cruise with few kids go in January. We've seen quite a few toddlers and kids under age 5, but rarely any teens.

The difference between X and Allure is the range of activities/events that would entertain a teen without even needing a club...zip wire, wall climbing, competitions, crazy golf to name but a few.

Alternative if you choose X pick excursions shore side with the interests of the teen in mind then back on ship they may be happier poolside.

Not to be snarky, but why wouldn't a 13 year old be in school in January?

Aren't all the Christmas breaks completed? I know that there are semester breaks for colleges but a 13 year old??

It's ok. Valid question. They are taking her out of school for the week. She's an excellent student, athlete, etc. She will probably take a little work with her, and will catch up no problem.

My parents did the same with me. I turned out ok. I think ; . Graduated University with Honours.

It was so worth it. I never missed much being away from school, the prices were much better, and our destinations (Disney, or a cruise), much MUCH less crowded with tons of other kids.

I have no doubt that not everyone could do that with their kids - it all depends on their attitude and the child's academic abilities. Some would struggle being away that long, but others would have no issue.

Hi! We took both our daughters on the Eclipse outside US school holidays (Easter). My teenage daughter had an amazing time and made loads of friends - best holiday she's ever had! Even if there aren't US kids on board there will be plenty from other countries to make friends with [emoji4][emoji106]🏻

Although I agree that RCCL would probably be a better fit for a teen, I always cringe when anyone suggests Oasis or Allure for a first cruise. Kids had a great time before those behemoths arrived on the scene, and I just can't see starting out with the biggest and flashiest. It's setting the bar pretty high for subsequent cruises when another Royal ship would do just as well. Plus, the parents might feel overwhelmed with size and amenities. They would hardly get to see all of the ship before the week was over. EM