s&s cards in the mailbox???not to secure...

cruzn buckeye

I just read a review of Splendor.. sail and sign cards now in mailbox when cabins are ready?? What is to stop someone else from getting your card and using it.. or using it to enter your cabin:eek: If this is a new procedure.. not sure i like it ...

Edited by cruzn buckeye

I don't know how they can be in the mailbox when you need them to board the ship:confused:.
Me either:rolleyes:but the Splendor review on this page, is saying this is how it was... hopefully that wasn't right... that's the only reason i asked.... but come to think of it... you are so right... :D

I don't know how they can be in the mailbox when you need them to board the ship:confused:.

You don't need them to board the ship. The boarding pass has a barcode which can be scanned when you enter the ship, rather than the card. If you would like to get a drink straight away, you can also use the boarding pass barcode.

You don't need them to board the ship. The boarding pass has a barcode which can be scanned when you enter the ship, rather than the card. If you would like to get a drink straight away, you can also use the boarding pass barcode.

And someone else can use my sail and sign from my mailbox to get their first drink... or perhaps enter my cabin??

when the luggage gets delivered, it is usually outside your door not secure. what is stopping someone from grabbing your luggage?..leaving the sail n sign card in the mailbox is just as secure as leaving the luggage outside the door

And someone else can use my sail and sign from my mailbox to get their first drink... or perhaps enter my cabin??

The cards will be in a sealed envelope. I guess in theory they could enter your cabin, but "supposedly" stewards will be about in the hallways and watching the people in the corridors.

As far as getting drinks....your card will have your picture attached to it (I've heard your passport photo if you have one) and it comes up when a bartender rings up the sale - so they will know if it is not you.

I've never heard of that possibility. In any event I see nothing to be gained by having the S&S at the cabin and not handing them out at check-in.

While I always applaud a company for trying new tings to see if they represent an improvement, this seems like a poor idea. Not really sure how it improves efficiency either for the ship's crew or the guests.

Check-in seems to be the PERFECT time. 'Your Passports check out good. Your credit card is fine. And here's your S&S cards that actually match up with you two.' All of that is easily overseen by a Carnival employee who is in a position to do something about it on the spot in the 1% chance there's a discrepancy like a typo or needing to sync up married and maiden names. Most times the process is 5 minutes or less but I sure want everything 'fixed' by a professional before I board the ship. Moreover, once that process is complete and correct, they almost completely eliminate the need for another passenger interaction on the issue.

Edited by jsglow

Pretty sure the subject has been thoroughly covered in the existing fairly-long thread about it.

In case people haven't read the thread, it's here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2414407

Multiple pages of people wringing their hands and insisting it will be a disaster.

Yet those who have sailed Splendor since they started it have said it's no problem.

I can vouch that it was not an issue on the Splendor last week. I do not, however, know what people are talking about when they say that their passport photo was scanned and used as pic id...as I'm certain that I was stopped at the top of the escalator by a Carnival rep who took my picture.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can vouch that it was not an issue on the Splendor last week. I do not, however, know what people are talking about when they say that their passport photo was scanned and used as pic id...as I'm certain that I was stopped at the top of the escalator by a Carnival rep who took my picture.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have had my Passport photo used before as well and it wasn't on the Splendor. If your picture scans well and you don't request another one, they will automatically use it.

It will eliminate the need for those handling check-in to leave their "window" and retrieve your cards.

And eliminate the whole second line. If you have to show your ID at the first desk when you enter the terminal before going through the X-ray machine (which you do), then the whole other line once you go up the escalators is not necessary.

It will eliminate the need for those handling check-in to leave their "window" and retrieve your cards.

Ours were right there in bin on the counter when we checked in on Fascination. Might be because we had FTTF though (and this could be different port to port).

In any event you might save the check in clerks some steps but a crew needs to go room to room distributing the cards which seems more labor intensive to me.

Ours were right there in bin on the counter when we checked in on Fascination. Might be because we had FTTF though (and this could be different port to port).

In any event you might save the check in clerks some steps but a crew needs to go room to room distributing the cards which seems more labor intensive to me.

Yes but not at the counter when you first walked in the building when you went through the metal detectors and they initially checked your ID. You still needed to get in line again once you got upstairs.

It's actually less labor intensive as I'm guessing the Room stewards are the ones to put the cards in and they are already there cleaning the cabins.

Yes but not at the counter when you first walked in the building when you went through the metal detectors and they initially checked your ID. You still needed to get in line again once you got upstairs.

It's actually less labor intensive as I'm guessing the Room stewards are the ones to put the cards in and they are already there cleaning the cabins.

We showed our ID and boarding pass to the guard at the terminal, got in line to check in, checked in and got our S&S card then went through security (and again, this procedure has been done on every cruise we've been on except one where we had to stop at a big table to retrieve our cabin cards). Once through security we were dinged aboard by showing our S&S card. I really don't see a lot of efficiency being gained by having the stewards (or anyone else) distribute the S&S cards directly to the cabins (and the stewards are busy enough, aren't they?). Of course we can live with it if this becomes the norm and it's not that big of a deal but I don't see a lot being gained.

We showed our ID and boarding pass to the guard at the terminal, got in line to check in, checked in and got our S&S card then went through security (and again, this procedure has been done on every cruise we've been on except one where we had to stop at a big table to retrieve our cabin cards). Once through security we were dinged aboard by showing our S&S card. I really don't see a lot of efficiency being gained by having the stewards (or anyone else) distribute the S&S cards directly to the cabins (and the stewards are busy enough, aren't they?). Of course we can live with it if this becomes the norm and it's not that big of a deal but I don't see a lot being gained.

What port was this at? Every cruise I have been on in Miami the procedure has been this:

Show boarding pass at the door to enter terminal.

Stop by desks at the front, show Passport, have it scanned.

Bags go through X-ray machine, then people through metal detector.

If you are Priority, go to Captains Lounge, hand in boarding pass to the lady there, have a seat and wait to be called by name. Go up and get S&S card.

If not D/P/Suite, go up escalator and get in the general line. If FTTF, show boarding pass and get in that line. Get S&S card from agent.

Wait until your group is called and board the ship.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Pretty sure the subject has been thoroughly covered in the existing fairly-long thread about it.

In case people haven't read the thread, it's here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2414407

Multiple pages of people wringing their hands and insisting it will be a disaster.

Yet those who have sailed Splendor since they started it have said it's no problem.

Yup - definitely way too many Chicken Littles declaring "The sky is falling!".

Other ships on other lines have successfully handled issuance of "Sign & Sail" cards in exactly the same way as Carnival is trying on the Splendor without uncontrolled pandemonium, mayhem, theft and delay in getting that first all-important beverage.

We can put a man on the moon... I think we can figure out how to obtain our Sign & Sail card from the cabin mailbox.