Half a bottle of Bon Voyage wine?

caber

I read in the Cunard site that I receive half a bottle of Bon Voyage wine in my Britannia balcony cabin.

Is this worth getting excited about? :)

Do you get a choice of red or white and what kind is it?

I read in the Cunard site that I receive half a bottle of Bon Voyage wine in my Britannia balcony cabin.

Not worth any excitement, it is a brand called Pol Acker, I am not a wine expert, but the only thing I can say about the wine you are given "free" is that it would make a good paint stripper!! Believe me I have had better tasting stuff for $5 (full bottle at that )at my local Mom and Pop grocery store.

No choice.

I believe that Pol Acker is NOT the wine given to Grill passengers. It is strictly for the "rowers".

Crikey, another cut back! Only half a bottle? I guess it's an elf and safety effort to afford liver damage! Only kidding, Pol Acker -the Bon Voyage wine - is great. Well, not great, but a nice gesture. Looks good in the photos anyway.

But no, I don't think Pol Acker has a red variety, except when it is removing rust. :D

Suggestion: mix it with a large glass of OJ and enjoy. If nothing else, it makes one appreciate the good stuff!;)

Not worth any excitement, it is a brand called Pol Acker, I am not a wine expert, but the only thing I can say about the wine you are given "free" is that it would make a good paint stripper!! Believe me I have had better tasting stuff for $5 (full bottle at that )at my local Mom and Pop grocery store.

No choice.

I believe that Pol Acker is NOT the wine given to Grill passengers. It is strictly for the "rowers".

Lynn,

Princess Grill passengers get the same Pol Acker as those in Britannia staterooms. Only in Queen's Grill is there real Champagne. Members of the Cunard World Club are given an additional bottle of Pol Acker to welcome them back. So even in Queen's passengers can't get away from this stuff. Once we found the Pol actually drinkable. It must have been an off-year for the vineyard or else my taste-buds were acting up.;)

Lynn,

Princess Grill passengers get the same Pol Acker as those in Britannia staterooms. Only in Queen's Grill is there real Champagne. Members of the Cunard World Club are given an additional bottle of Pol Acker to welcome them back. So even in Queen's passengers can't get away from this stuff. Once we found the Pol actually drinkable. It must have been an off-year for the vineyard or else my taste-buds were acting up.;)

I wasn't brave enough to open the Pol Acker on my first Cunard voyage after reading many posts on this particular brand of alcohol/paint stripper/poison/acid.

Nice to know a bottle of champagne will await me in 5 weeks' time. Not sure how I'd go drinking a whole bottle by myself though.

I'm a little worried that I'll also be seemingly eligible for more Pol Acker! I thought you said Cunard wished to welcome back their guests...not turn them away?! :)

I wasn't brave enough to open the Pol Acker on my first Cunard voyage after reading many posts on this particular brand of alcohol/paint stripper/poison/acid.

Nice to know a bottle of champagne will await me in 5 weeks' time. Not sure how I'd go drinking a whole bottle by myself though.

I'm a little worried that I'll also be seemingly eligible for more Pol Acker! I thought you said Cunard wished to welcome back their guests...not turn them away?! :)

Indeed, it seems like punishment to "reward' regular passengers with this bubbly. If you are in QG they provide a Champagne stopper so you can save some for later. Champagne is a treat for us so we don't like to drink a whole bottle at one sitting; we bring a stopper as we are rarely in QG and our travel agent and/or friends normally send a bottle of the real thing. We always try the Pol Acker and manage a glass, but the rest is usually used to cleanse the sink and the the drain.

partial quote

We've always had a full bottle of PA (Britannia balcony)...

Yes, so have we - but there appears to have been a change to a half bottle.

Below was copied from http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/accommodation/britannia-balcony/

Britannia Balcony Stateroom

Your Stateroom Includes:

• 24-hour room service
  • Bathrobe and slippers
  • Nightly turndown service with pillow chocolate
  • Satellite TV with multi-language film and music channels
  • Refrigerator, safe, hair dryer
  • Daily shipboard newspaper
  • Half a bottle of Bon Voyage wine
  • Direct-dial telephone
  • Fruit basket (on request)
  • 220V British 3-pin and 110V 2-pin sockets

Looks like I will be 'smuggling' a proper bottle on board then

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Surely you can bring on a good one. You are allowed.

I will give the paint stripper a try but bring my own also.

Edited by caber

I was on QV last week. I travelled alone. I am Platinum. I received a full bottle of the stuff as I always do. Are you telling me now I should have received one and a half bottles? I'll go back and complain! ;)

As usual, I didn't drink it. I gave it to my dance teacher today as a 'freebie' souvenir, warning him that some think it could be used as North Korean rocket fuel. Many of you are probably shaking your heads and asking 'What did he ever do to you to deserve that? Has he been treading on your toes as you dance?'

So it's returning passengers who receive a full bottle. That makes sense amongst the group of people who were talking about it.

Platinum member here...once there was a half bottle of PA on ice when when we opened our cabin door - that's when I knew Cunard loved me :D (As if!)

As champ- er, sparkling wine - it's a bit harsh but if you bring a bottle stopper (the kind with a lever that keeps the fizz in) Pol Acker tastes pretty good with room service orange juice as a breakfast mimosa. A full bottle is enough for two or three breakfast cocktails for two.

Edited by Underwatr

As champ- er, sparkling wine - it's a bit harsh but if you bring a bottle stopper (the kind with a lever that keeps the fizz in) Pol Acker tastes pretty good with room service orange juice as a breakfast mimosa. A full bottle is enough for two or three breakfast cocktails for two.

What a good idea , I have such a stopper, I will give this a try. Thank you for the suggestion

Crikey, another cut back! Only half a bottle? I guess it's an elf and safety effort to afford liver damage! Only kidding, Pol Acker -the Bon Voyage wine - is great. Well, not great, but a nice gesture. Looks good in the photos anyway.

But no, I don't think Pol Acker has a red variety, except when it is removing rust. :D

Suggestion: mix it with a large glass of OJ and enjoy. If nothing else, it makes one appreciate the good stuff!;)

I've tried OJ, and you can still taste the Pol Axer, unfortunately.

So it's returning passengers who receive a full bottle. That makes sense amongst the group of people who were talking about it.

No, we were given only a half bottle. And no strawberries with it this time. Didn't they used to give you a small dish of berries?

Ah for the days when Trafalgar House owned Cunard and Gold (top level back then) got Dom and Silver got Perrier Jouet. Of course, the line was going broke then...