first time on marina

wally_bushy

We are a few days into our first cruise on an O ship (Marina) and would like to report everything so far is first rate.

Tried Red Ginger and Jacques and enjoyed both and also the lobster in the Terrace.

It was good to reacquaint with Waves and the great burgers and vanilla milkshakes.

Currently in Bora Bora and will be heading out to swim with the sharks and rays again (third day in a row).

Any questions about the ship or location I will try to answer.

Thanks for posting comments about the Marina - please continue if you have time during or post cruise. I'm traveling on the Marina in June...so I love to read anything about Oceania, specifically the Marina.

Hi, do tell anything you think of. We are sailing from Papeete in 6 weeks, to Bora Bora etc.

Do they have rafts and flippers etc for rent on the ship, and what is the procedure? It may save luggage weight for us. Also, do cruisers float in the shallow waters in pool toys? I have read this only in one place.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

JAMMU2,

What is your itinerary? If you are on a south seas or Caribbean cruise (beach oriented), attire seems to be more casual.

But it is NEVER really formal on Oceania cruises. They do mean "country club casual". No jeans, etc., at dinner but casual is okay.

The average female diner in the restaurants is nicely dressed but not overly formal. I like to wear palazzo pants with a floral top much of the time. You shouldn't worry about having to dress up if that is MIL's concern. If you don't want to be as formal as that, have dinner in the Terrace Cafe where just about anything goes, even at dinner. (Well, no bathing suits ...)

Mura

I will be on the Marina in about a month going from Auckland to Tahiti and might be doing a lot of snorkling so I too would like to know if any snorkling equipment is available for loan or rent. What I need is a mask and snorkle - not fins. Also are there umbrellas in the room?

Thanks, Rick

Umbrellas are in all rooms. I don't know about snorkel equipment being available ... I suspect not, but we've never done an itinerary on Oceania where we would need it. Many years ago we bought our own to bring with us to Anguilla, when it was not an expensive destination!

Mura

Wally_Bushy:

I noticed you are on the Marina South Pacific Serenity cruise (Tahiti to Sydney) . I will be on the reverse going from Auckland to Tahiti going to many of the same ports leaving Mar 9. Would you be so kind to determine by asking someone in excursions or the fitness center and determine if snorkling equipment is available for rent or loan for use per my previous post. Since we are going to most of the same ports could you give us a mini report at each port consisting of at least the following:

1. How easy is it to get local money - are atms readily available and do the locals take us$ on tours?

2. How warm is the water - I hear it is about 90F.

3. How easy is it to get last minute tours at the ship dock from locals.

4. What tours did you take and how were they? Would you recommend them?

5. How fast is the Internet speed - I have unlimited.

6. How difficult is it to get a reservation at one of the speciality restaurants. I already made my 3 pre trip ones.

I may think of a few more questions later.

Thanks, Rick

I may think

As of 2 seasons ago when we cruised on Marina and after 35 years in the SoPac:

-No snorkel gear for loan or rent on Marina. We suggest you buy your own....cheap, a better fit for you, way more sanitary, light weight, and easy to pack. Fins are heavy and not always necessary unless there is a strong current or you want to swim far.

-Bring and wear reef shoes or crocs.....stepping on coral, urchins or worst case scenario, a stone fish could ruin your time in paradise. And I'm not a fan of stepping shoeless on yucky sea cucumbers either.

-ATMs are easily available at banks on larger island but not on atolls. Best bet is on Tahiti, Raiatea, Huahine and Bora where they are close to tender docks....well, unless you tender into Maroe Bay on Huahine. Then, no. But if you tender to Fare, then yes.

Locals need money but they pay to exchange USD so unless the rate is favorable to them, doubt they will accept.....or they'll charge you more to cover the exchange rate fee.

-RE using USD: Have always used local currency. If you're cruising AKL-PPT, then you can access xpf in Noumea and have it on hand for FP. Fiji will accept Aussie dollars, not sure about NZD. USD is used in American Samoa.

-Would take a land trip with a local found at the dock and maybe a "circle island cruise" but never a snorkel or dive trip....that's just us YMMV.

-Have always been able to obtain more reservations in the specialty restos if we were acceptable to late dining or on popular port night or willing to share a table.

-Never had the water temp be at 90 that we were aware.....It's always been comfortable although you might find an exception in June, July and August.

-Internet speed is slow but tolerable unless you are streaming or uploading many of photos.

We took all private tours on our South Pacific cruise 2 years ago. Some operators had extra masks and snorkels and some did not. The Marina did not have any to borrow, rent or buy. Take your own. As said above, they are easy to pack though fins are not. Enjoy the cruise.

This link (hopefully, never done this before) is a screenshot of a 'Currents' from Regatta in 2014, sailing in Bermuda. This is why I thought Marina may have gear to rent.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1g3pmkr636s0a4/Screenshot_20160208-221456.png?dl=0

We're going to be on Riviera in the Caribbean next month so this piqued my interest...looks like this was specific to Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas - "Equipment can be rented ashore and charges will go to your onboard stateroom account."

We're planning on bringing masks and snorkels with us :)

This link (hopefully, never done this before) is a screenshot of a 'Currents' from Regatta in 2014, sailing in Bermuda. This is why I thought Marina may have gear to rent.

Could be because it is one of the private islands they have the rentals

at GSC

They do not have the gear ON the ship

Hi, do tell anything you think of. We are sailing from Papeete in 6 weeks, to Bora Bora etc.

Do they have rafts and flippers etc for rent on the ship, and what is the procedure? It may save luggage weight for us. Also, do cruisers float in the shallow waters in pool toys? I have read this only in one place.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

No, the ship offers no rentals...you really need to bring your gear. No most do not use pool toys ...You have to be comfortable in deep water with good swimming confidence. I and others bring our own gear. You can rent buy in Tahiti...or on many ships tours they provide equipment. Your best snorkel will be in Moorea. Bora is for the most part a lagoon desert. There are not many beaches and the ones that are there charge$$$. Everything in Bora is top$$$$$

Wally_Bushy:

I noticed you are on the Marina South Pacific Serenity cruise (Tahiti to Sydney) . I will be on the reverse going from Auckland to Tahiti going to many of the same ports leaving Mar 9. Would you be so kind to determine by asking someone in excursions or the fitness center and determine if snorkling equipment is available for rent or loan for use per my previous post. Since we are going to most of the same ports could you give us a mini report at each port consisting of at least the following:

1. How easy is it to get local money - are atms readily available and do the locals take us$ on tours?

2. How warm is the water - I hear it is about 90F.

3. How easy is it to get last minute tours at the ship dock from locals.

4. What tours did you take and how were they? Would you recommend them?

5. How fast is the Internet speed - I have unlimited.

6. How difficult is it to get a reservation at one of the speciality restaurants. I already made my 3 pre trip ones.

I may think of a few more questions later.

Thanks, Rick

Water temp will be about 80 to 83 tops... coral dies above 83

In Bora its very very easy except for wave runners. Other islands very hard as there isnt the depth of resource like in the Carribe.

Best tours based on visiting 5 times.

Moorea: wave runners and rey tour from Intercont pri

Bora Bora: Wave runners around bora. Pri, lousy snorkel those pretty hues are all a sand desert. little coral, Every one on bora goes to the same places with different names.. some big name operators are really brokers who get anybody that has a boat. Clear water but very poor diving and snorkeling....better in Kona Hawaii for fish life. Bora looks stunning and has a mistyque that the Tahitians play to the hilt.

Raitea: Again Wave runner and Island tour... pri land is a bust

Fakarava: snorkel the pass also you can do a shore snorkel...LOTS of big fish including sharks

Rangaroa, The coral garden is small and poor quality...if your a GOOD snorkel swimmer the drift dive is world famous

Tahiti: rent a car and drive the island...its not that interesting a big busy and sort of seedy port... the outer islands are the jewels. Nuka Hiva: walk the village and see the market. The one tour is poor and is just a pickup ride over the hill...

Nuka Hiva is so small and has really no resources there are no options, rentals, poor swimming

In all ports all islands the water sports are the best..land tours...ho-hum you need to get wet.

Best coral is Moorea, Fakarava

INternet??? I am on a vacation and not brokering a mid east peace deal nor giving advice to the pope, I never use it.... enjoy the beauty of the trip not some electronic gizmo . Try being unconnected its delightful.....

I was on a 34 day last time and it was very easy to get more of anything as long as you were flexible, share you could around 0930 am by reception on 6 get lots of daily options. I had no problem

I may think

Water temp will be about 80 to 83 tops... coral dies above 83

In Bora its very very easy except for wave runners. Other islands very hard as there isnt the depth of resource like in the Carribe.

Best tours based on visiting 5 times.

Moorea: wave runners and rey tour from Intercont pri

Bora Bora: Wave runners around bora. Pri, lousy snorkel those pretty hues are all a sand desert. little coral, Every one on bora goes to the same places with different names.. some big name operators are really brokers who get anybody that has a boat. Clear water but very poor diving and snorkeling....better in Kona Hawaii for fish life. Bora looks stunning and has a mistyque that the Tahitians play to the hilt.

Raitea: Again Wave runner and Island tour... pri land is a bust

Fakarava: snorkel the pass also you can do a shore snorkel...LOTS of big fish including sharks

Rangaroa, The coral garden is small and poor quality...if your a GOOD snorkel swimmer the drift dive is world famous

Tahiti: rent a car and drive the island...its not that interesting a big busy and sort of seedy port... the outer islands are the jewels. Nuka Hiva: walk the village and see the market. The one tour is poor and is just a pickup ride over the hill...

Nuka Hiva is so small and has really no resources there are no options, rentals, poor swimming

In all ports all islands the water sports are the best..land tours...ho-hum you need to get wet.

Best coral is Moorea, Fakarava Best swimming south side of Moorea by Softel . Highest prices Bora

I pre arrange with credit card and dont use cash

INternet??? I am on a vacation and not brokering a mid east peace deal nor giving advice to the pope, I never use it.... enjoy the beauty of the trip not some electronic gizmo . Try being unconnected its delightful.....

I was on a 34 day last time and it was very easy to get more of anything as long as you were flexible, share you could around 0930 am by reception on 6 get lots of daily options. I had no problem

Most questions have been answered by our experienced cruise friends.

The internet has been poor and hence my delay

We enjoyed La Reserve last night and had the perfect combination of food, wine and company.

The specialty restaurants have not been full and bookings would be freely available.

We pack our own snorkel gear and overcome the fin problem by only bringing our short fins. They are useful as there are varying currents and the fins help.

No equipment for hire on the ship but the shore operators have them (no fins).

The dress standard is as expected on an Oceania cruise.

Have seen only a few children but not very day so there are not many.

The food is superb and the staff are very relaxed and efficient.

We have spoken to a number of first time Oceania cruisers who are just so impressed by everything.

All for now

Most questions have been answered by our experienced cruise friends.

The internet has been poor and hence my delay

We enjoyed La Reserve last night and had the perfect combination of food, wine and company.

The specialty restaurants have not been full and bookings would be freely available.

We pack our own snorkel gear and overcome the fin problem by only bringing our short fins. They are useful as there are varying currents and the fins help.

No equipment for hire on the ship but the shore operators have them (no fins).

The dress standard is as expected on an Oceania cruise.

Have seen only a few children but not very day so there are not many.

The food is superb and the staff are very relaxed and efficient.

We have spoken to a number of first time Oceania cruisers who are just so impressed by everything.

All for now

Thanks for the update.

The short fins idea is a good one, I will try find some, because with trying to save weight, I thought only mask and snorkel would be coming with us.

Is Baristas full in the morning? In 2014, when it was new on Insignia, it was just us and the CD every day. Who is your CD, and do they change between every cruise, do you know?

Anita

Thanks for the update.

The short fins idea is a good one, I will try find some, because with trying to save weight, I thought only mask and snorkel would be coming with us.

Is Baristas full in the morning? In 2014, when it was new on Insignia, it was just us and the CD every day. Who is your CD, and do they change between every cruise, do you know?

Anita

The shorty fins will only save you a few oz at most. Bring the full size ones they nicely in a 26" samsonite rolly. US divers, with slipper heel The shorty fins are strap heel and require booties.. so no savings. You will encounter currents...lots around the reefs and the shorty fins dont do much.

I also suggest a 1/8 wetsuit sleeveless top be worn for sun protection and nemocysts protection of which there are frequent encounters ( micro jelly fish like sea lice in the carribe)

I can pack for a 2 week trip in one 26" case all my snorkel,gear and wet suit top plus all my clothes and it come out to 48 lbs...

In truth, any time your in water cooler than 86F you should have a wet suit even a shorty like the surfers wear... it protects you and conserves your energy....

Thanks for the update.

Anita

Baristas varies at times but service is quick.

It is a different layout to the smaller ships and sits above and overlooks the pool area.

It has a rounded seating area with stools looking out to the pool.

Just around the corner is a small seating area and the library.

We visit everyday and have no problem getting a seat.

The advantage of smaller fins is that they are easily combined with snorkel and mask into bags for traveling on the day.

My DW wears a wetsuit for warmth and sun protection however in the areas we are swimming the water is not cold and trust me she feels the cold. I bought my boots which I wear with the short fins but they also double as water shoes when wading or just swimming

We are a few days into our first cruise on an O ship (Marina) and would like to report everything so far is first rate.

Tried Red Ginger and Jacques and enjoyed both and also the lobster in the Terrace.

It was good to reacquaint with Waves and the great burgers and vanilla milkshakes.

Currently in Bora Bora and will be heading out to swim with the sharks and rays again (third day in a row).

Any questions about the ship or location I will try to answer.

Thanks very much for your generous offer to answer some Qs during your cruise. We will be on Marina from Auckland to Tahiti going to many of the same ports leaving Mar 9.

Q1. How easy is it to obtain last minute tours from locals at the ship dock

Q2. What tours did you take at each port of call (Oceania or privately arranged) and what were your experience? Would you recommend them?

Q3. "Bora Bora and will be heading out to swim with the sharks and rays again (third day in a row)"- do you mean, you just walk off the beach somewhere within walking distance from the cruise terminal, and swim with the sharks & rays?

Q4. Tahiti - you mentioned renting a car and do the circle-island drive - what car rental company and what type of vehicle would you rent for safety etc? How long does it takes to complete both Tahiti Nui & Tahiti Iti - coastal drives as well as inland to the waterfalls. We are planning to stay one extra day after disembarkation and our flight to LAX is at 11:55 on Day2. Are parking easily available in downtown Papeete near the Food Trucks.

My apologies if I ask you far too many questions. Thanks a ton. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Best regards/Ann