Why is the Maasdam not stopping at HMC on Panama cruise out of FLL?

OlsSalt

We are continuing on to San Diego after the end of Voyage of Vikings upon its arrival in Boston early September. We then transfer to the Maasdam on the same day leaving Boston to go to FLL.

The Maasdam then travels across the Caribbean to Panama and up Central America and Mexico until it ends in San Diego - an 18 day cruise. But no stop at HMC. That surprised (and disappointed) us as the waters would be getting warm and delicious at that time of the year.

This got us thinking, assuming stops at HMC were almost universal for HAL ships in the Caribbean, what factors within the HAL scheduling process would eliminate this traditional HMC port stop?

Our first stop is Cartagena after FLL. Then obviously we have a reserved date at the Panama Canal that we must meet. However, it seems most other FLL to San Diego runs always include HMC.

Just wondering what scheduling considerations required the elimination of the HMC stop for this particular FLL to San Diego run. Perhaps this itinerary was too early for the start of the Caribbean season? Just curious; no real issues about this.

Carnival is still using HMC in September. They probably have exclusive use of HMC until HAL starts its regular Caribbean itineraries in the fall.
That sounds like the answer to me. The first HAL ship to call at HMC this fall will be the K-dam on 28 Oct.

Carnival is still using HMC in September. They probably have exclusive use of HMC until HAL starts its regular Caribbean itineraries in the fall.

Yes, that could make sense. Thanks for the insight. I heard there would never be a shared HMC for both HAL and Carnival on the same day.

I also realize if there were an extra day for HMC, the Maasdam might have left Boston a day earlier and we never would have made this Rotterdam-Maasdam same day connection.

We have done quite a few repositioning cruises from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego, Seattle and many times HMC was not on our itinerary.

Having been there many times, no big deal for us to miss HMC.

We learned the water was so warm in the Fall at HMC from a recent Veendam stop - after finishing the New England fall colors route last year in October. Never felt the water so delicious at HMC, also having been there many times when it was not so inviting for those of us who do like our water warm.

Considering the time of the year, we would have loved to have it included again.. But upfront we knew we would not be stopping there on our way to San Diego. Makes sense if Carnival is also using this stop.

Looks like 1st HAL stop at Half Moon Cay for the 2017-2018 winter season will not be until 28 Oct 17 by Koningsdam. Btw, a HAL and a Carnival ship will not share HMC, two HAL ships will

Off topic for those who are interested; there will be two HAL ships sharing the Grand Bahama shipyard in Freeport for dry-dock this Fall

I was on the Maasdam Repo Cruise from San Diego to Boston last month? The itinerary originally showed HMC.

After booking the cruise I got a note from Holland America stating. " Due to operational reasons the Ship would be stopping at Grand Turk instead of HMC."

For me it was OK because I had not been to Grand Turk.

I don't know what the operational reason was.