debarking in San Francisco

Hawaiidan

Coming from Alaska clearing in Astoria on way to San Francisco.

Ship list debarking at 0800... can I do a carry off my own luggage and be off by 0830??? Did this in seattle and was at before 9

Any experience??? Need to catch a flight at 1045 from sfo ( a 35 min cab run)

For check in/TSA I have use of premier check at SFO

Biggest question is can I /we do our own carry off in SF ???

You didn't mention the day of the week. Under ideal conditions sure a cab ride from the SF terminal to SFO could be 35 minutes. Ideal conditions being a weekend when everyone is out of town and the city isn't still playing around with streets south of Market.

If you're disembarking on a weekday I'd book a later flight or be prepared to miss yours. Part of the problem with the port of SF is the people that run it in realtime aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer (eg: cruise ship is in but the port decides to send away all taxis/limos because the day ended in Y).

Even on a weekend I'd hedge my bet and go for a later flight.

Edit: After checking Oceanias site it looks like the cruise disembarks on a Wednesday. In that case you will not be making it to the airport in anywhere near 35 minutes.

Edited by Emperor Norton

You didn't mention the day of the week. Under ideal conditions sure a cab ride from the SF terminal to SFO could be 35 minutes. Ideal conditions being a weekend when everyone is out of town and the city isn't still playing around with streets south of Market.

If you're disembarking on a weekday I'd book a later flight or be prepared to miss yours. Part of the problem with the port of SF is the people that run it in realtime aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer (eg: cruise ship is in but the port decides to send away all taxis/limos because the day ended in Y).

Even on a weekend I'd hedge my bet and go for a later flight.

Edit: After checking Oceanias site it looks like the cruise disembarks on a Wednesday. In that case you will not be making it to the airport in anywhere near 35 minutes.

+1. No way will OP get to SFO on Wednesday during the AM commute window. Better idea, if new to SF, would be to stay for a few days and enjoy America's favorite city.

Dan, I have no advice for you (only having arrived by car or air in SF) ...

but I'm delighted to see that I'm not the only person to say DEBARKING!

Mura

P.S. For those who use the term "disembarking" I'm reminded of an Episcopal nun I once who who refused to use the term "recessional". For her, it was "processing OUT".

I lived for 27 years in North bay so I know SF pretty good....just want to get home....

Aside from the tight connection...I have a hole card as a premier so if I miss my flight they will put me on another no charge...

HOWEVER , does Regatta allow for you to carry off your own bags before the rest of the process starts????

AND, what actual time have people experienced getting off in SF

We were on the Regatta when it arrive in San Francisco 4 hours later than planned. It took another hour after the ship tied up before luggage was all off the ship. We were transit passengers, meaning we were continuing on the cruise and had no luggage to take off the ship. We were not allowed off the ship until all luggage was removed and taken into the luggage area - which was 12 noon. The answer to your question is that you may carry off your hand luggage, but will not be allowed by port authorities to leave the ship until it is cleared, and clearance only occurs after all luggage is off.

We were on the Regatta when it arrive in San Francisco 4 hours later than planned. It took another hour after the ship tied up before luggage was all off the ship. We were transit passengers, meaning we were continuing on the cruise and had no luggage to take off the ship. We were not allowed off the ship until all luggage was removed and taken into the luggage area - which was 12 noon. The answer to your question is that you may carry off your hand luggage, but will not be allowed by port authorities to leave the ship until it is cleared, and clearance only occurs after all luggage is off.

This is very different...from Seattle, SanDiego. LA and Ft Lauderdale/Miami.

Mind you the ship will clear customs in Astoria Ore. But I know of the port clearance requirement....sounds like a SF Union thing.

Evidently, SF is still as messed up as always ! Emperor Norton posted too. ( as I remember,the SF "attitude and union difficulties led to the port of SF loosing ALL its cargo to an happy port of Oakland)

Thanks to all

On our recent cruise from Miami to SF the ship was 4 hours late getting into SF due to deep swells and strong headwinds north from Cabo. O rebooked all those who were going to miss their flights if they had O air. Free internet was provided throughout the ship for the others to change their own air. We stayed in SF for 3 days and had an early morning flight home. Our hotel was 4 blocks from the cruise terminal. Our ride left the hotel going directly to the airport at 3am and it took us 25 minutes with no traffic and making most of the lights on the Embarcadero until we got to the freeway.

This is very different...from Seattle, SanDiego. LA and Ft Lauderdale/Miami.

Mind you the ship will clear customs in Astoria Ore. But I know of the port clearance requirement....sounds like a SF Union thing.

Evidently, SF is still as messed up as always ! Emperor Norton posted too. ( as I remember,the SF "attitude and union difficulties led to the port of SF loosing ALL its cargo to an happy port of Oakland)

Thanks to all

Yes. Like Eastern Airlines the Union voted themselves out of their jobs much to the joy of the Longshoremen/teamsters in the port of Oakland.

The Longshoremen in New York Harbor did the same many years ago. They didn't believe the Employers' when they were told the Employers couldn't afford more money/benefits, and so the Employers closed up shop.

I worked for a small maritime law firm in NYC for 25 years and when I started working there we had a lot of maritime business. After 10 years or so we had almost none.

Mura

I stood at pier 37 for two hours last week waiting for Regatta to clear. Astonishing to observe the shameless behavior of fleecing people one by one. Amazing how people do as they are told without questioning. Nice, new terminal though.

Yes. Like Eastern Airlines the Union voted themselves out of their jobs much to the joy of the Longshoremen/teamsters in the port of Oakland.

I am sure most San Franciscan are quite happy with that. Now they don't have to put up with a backlog and traffic of trucks waiting to enter the port of Oakland for 5 hours or more. Can't imagine what that would do to the traffic on the Embarcadero.

I am sure most San Franciscan are quite happy with that. Now they don't have to put up with a backlog and traffic of trucks waiting to enter the port of Oakland for 5 hours or more. Can't imagine what that would do to the traffic on the Embarcadero.

The people that didn't rely on money coming in from them sure. Everyone else, the city itself included not so much. Thats also why they had the overpass over the Embarcadero...at least before it came down.

Hawaiidan, I see you have DE 644 listed for your past "cruises". My Dad was also a "Cruiser" on the USS Vammen.

I was a on her in 62-63,. right after the Cuban Blockade..... then the ill fated cruise to Hawaii... and the rammen vammen incident .

Who was your dad... is he still around. ??? NOt many of us left from the grey steel era.

I started a snype in the after fireroom

I proceeded to "rise" from the bilge to the bridge" over the years.

My father a, 05 , was XO on the USS Weeden DE797

My Dad's name is Jimmie Evans. He was a quartermaster on the Vammen and his Cousin is Ed Evans. he was an XO on the ship I believe. My Dad is still around. He and I went to a Vammen reunion a few years ago.

My Dad's name is Jimmie Evans. He was a quartermaster on the Vammen and his Cousin is Ed Evans. he was an XO on the ship I believe. My Dad is still around. He and I went to a Vammen reunion a few years ago.

I became a Quartermaster on the Trathen after the Hawaii "cruise to no where" in 63..... does he remember the Pierre Salinger day sail ???

Would like to get in touch with a shipmate...

d smith 66 at earthlink dot net....

Just went to the last Trathen reunion ( DD530) didn't know Vammen had them???

Some great years.....still miss dropping depth charges... deadly excitement

Tell your dad to grab some gedunks.......Oceiana had pretty good gedunks...

He will know..and deep water sailor will know what I mean...