Breastfeeding baby on cruise

duchessuta

Hello, I am taking my LO on our cruise in August and he is still nursing. I haven't found anything on Carnival's website about whether they are supportive of nursing moms. Has anyone had any experience breastfeeding their babies on a cruise? I know some people tend to have very strong feelings against moms feeding their babies in public and just wonder if carnival is supportive. TIA.

They have to be supportive. It's not against the law, and they would be in some serious trouble if they tried to deny you the right to feed your child when necessary. With that said, wouldn't you be more comfortable, and your baby less distracted in your cabin? The main areas of the ship are unbelievable noisy, busy and just a hustle and bustle of activity.

Hi! I haven't encountered anyone breastfeeding but as a mom who breastfeed all her children, I for one would not have a problem with it. I am astonished in this day and age anyone does! It's a child eating!! I've seen way more things on past cruises that bothered me more than breastfeeding!! Sorry I couldn't really answer your question, just wanted to give my two cents I guess 😃

#1 - I'm a man.

#2 - On our last cruise, we opted not to take our child, who was by then past the breastfeeding stage anyway.

... If any of the above makes my opinion unhelpful, that's quite all right. Just thought I'd get it out of the way. :cool:

I can't speak to any company policy, but I would hope that Carnival would be supportive. They might have some issue with it in the dining hall or pool area, but I would think most other parts of the ship wouldn't pose an issue, particularly if you use a cover.

You know what's best for you and your child, but I'll throw this out there... it may be a situation where you might want to pump in your cabin and carry the milk in bottles (provided your schedule allows this... it took my wife almost a year before she could get the pumping down to only once every five hours). And I say this because you may prefer the privacy... I'm less worried about the Carnival crew than I am about other passengers. If you're trying to be discreet, I'm 90% sure the crew will leave you alone... but all it takes is one ugly redneck looking for an excuse to get involved in your own business and raise a stink over it. Then the crew will be in the unenviable position of trying to figure out which passenger to accommodate, and the people who complain tend to win that battle.

Not sure what you mean by Carnival being supportive, but I'm sure none of the crew will have an issue with it. If you pump and need ice in the cabin or whatever the case, just talk to your room steward. Your issue, unfortunately, will be the passengers. Even if just one or two. I nursed my children but I never went far from home or left them when they were nursing. Just didn't want to subject myself to people's ignorance. The crew will be as accommodating as they can, but for their sake and yours, I would nurse as much as possible in the privacy of my cabin. Good luck.

I know some people tend to have very strong feelings against moms feeding their babies in public and just wonder if carnival is supportive. TIA.

I think people have strong feelings when they feel that the person is purposely being all out there to shove the "this is my right" down their throats. I'm not sure what support you're thinking of. When I breastfed, I only did it at home, and I needed all the right conditions (elbow prop, quiet, etc.), but others can do this anywhere. If you're doing this in the dining room and covered, I doubt people would even know what you're doing. There are also places that might have less traffic that might be quieter or less people to "offend." I really think most people would be supportive and helpful if needed.

Sometimes the busier the place the better. Lido, Promenade, etc. If your by yourself others will check you out; part of the crowd, they'll glance right over you. Of course this depends on your kid. Breastfed both of mine. Neither were distracted from the task at hand. Lol

Can't see others minding if it's done discreetly ie baby doesn't necessarily need to be under covers but Mom shouldn't be hanging out. Don't be like the gal we encountered in the Roman market without her shirt (naked from the waist up) feeding her toddler.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am unable to help with your question but wanted to say that it is unbelievable that in this day and day and age your question even needs to be asked, but I am European and I guess we have differing attitudes to seeing breasts!

Hello, I am taking my LO on our cruise in August and he is still nursing. I haven't found anything on Carnival's website about whether they are supportive of nursing moms. Has anyone had any experience breastfeeding their babies on a cruise? I know some people tend to have very strong feelings against moms feeding their babies in public and just wonder if carnival is supportive. TIA.

I have no idea who TIA is, never met her, but if someone does not approve of how you choose to feed your child that is their issue. A little discretion would be advised but there is no need (in my opinion) for you to hide in your cabin etc while feeding.

I have no idea who TIA is, never met her, but if someone does not approve of how you choose to feed your child that is their issue. A little discretion would be advised but there is no need (in my opinion) for you to hide in your cabin etc while feeding.

TIA is Thanks in Advance

As a father and now grandfather a woman is feeding her baby and should not have to go hide.

Do it discreetly and if anyone has a problem too bad for them.

My wife breastfeeds. When on the ship, she will go back to our cabin or find a quiet spot away from the hustle and bustle, such as the top level of the theater (when show is not on) or the children's playroom.

If we are on the beach and it takes too long to get back to the ship (such as HMC), she covers herself with a blanket. No Carnival employee has ever voiced any objection, and a few female employees even came over and ask if she needs anything else to be more comfortable.

So I don't think you have anything to worry about from Carnival. Some uptight passengers, however, will look away in shame or disgust. My wife did not expose her breast at any point, so it is not the sight but the mere thought of an exposed breast and intimate contact that these people find off putting.

I believe most people could care less of you or anyone breastfeeding. However, I always find it weird when a person, and child are doing it to make a statement or doing it out of pure laziness. Examples are that in the middle of church instead of going to the baby/family room and doing it in the pew. At the dinner table, yes it's the dinner table, but it's not the best location around strangers eating.

Hi! I haven't encountered anyone breastfeeding but as a mom who breastfeed all her children, I for one would not have a problem with it. I am astonished in this day and age anyone does! It's a child eating!! I've seen way more things on past cruises that bothered me more than breastfeeding!! Sorry I couldn't really answer your question, just wanted to give my two cents I guess 😃

Exactly! I am amazed by people who think the mother and child should go to their cabin or a quiet place. People who believe that, just one question. Do you go to your room when you eat or drink or do you eat or drink at the pool, in the theater, in the buffet, in the dining room?

Anyone offended by a mother feeding her baby should probably cover their eyes or go to their room.

Love this! Thank you!

I never breastfed on a cruise, but I've cruised and I've breastfed.

I would think that it is to hot to truly cover the baby/breast completely in the Caribbean. I breastfed in Louisiana, and while I'm very prudish about showing my body (like always wear a swim skirt prudish), sometimes I just couldn't cover my baby or he would sweat and get too hot, especially after 6 months old. (And babies must to 6 months to go on Carnival, right?)

I also think it would be very difficult to always go back to your cabin. Cruise ships are HUGE and a baby screaming all the way would probably make you leak and disturb others. You won't want that. I think some people who say "just go back to your cabin" don't understand the biological reality.

There are lots of little private nooks to use other than your cabin, if you want privacy. But, honestly, you don't need to hide. Most crew aren't American, and we Americans are the ones with hang-ups about this.

Just feed the baby, however you would otherwise feed the baby and wherever it's appropriate to eat. If someone is rude, say "bless your heart" and smile. It'll confuse them!

:)

Anyone offended by a mother feeding her baby should probably cover their eyes or go to their room.

I agree 100% It's a natural thing, and IMO a beautiful thing. I'd say, just be a bit discreet when feeding, and you won't have any problems.

"SKY"

I would think that it is to hot to truly cover the baby/breast completely in the Caribbean. I breastfed in Louisiana, and while I'm very prudish about showing my body (like always wear a swim skirt prudish), sometimes I just couldn't cover my baby or he would sweat and get too hot, especially after 6 months old. (And babies must to 6 months to go on Carnival, right?)

I also think it would be very difficult to always go back to your cabin. Cruise ships are HUGE and a baby screaming all the way would probably make you leak and disturb others. You won't want that. I think some people who say "just go back to your cabin" don't understand the biological reality.

Thank you. Yes, he will be 6 months on our cruise. I'm a pretty modest person, though having a baby and nursing has changed that a lot. I don't want to have to run to my cabin every time he's hungry, for your reasons posted, and because I want to be able to enjoy myself.

My LO also HATES covers. He will never eat as much when he has a cover over him. Who can blame him?! I wouldn't want to eat with a blanket or cover over my head and face. He's also like an oven, so he gets hot very quickly too.