Pricing variations worldwide

PeterGavin

We met new friends on Celebrity Infinity 2 years ago, and like to try to cruise together.

They have booked Azamara Quest for 13th May, "JEWELS OF THE ADRIATIC, ITALY & THE RIVIERA" from Venice.

I went to the Azamara website, which opened with the US site and asked the traveller to select their own country site.

Our Scottish friends have previously noted to us that they get a 50% price for the second traveller. This seems to be a perk for British bookings.

I checked pricing on UK, USA, Australia and NZ sites.

Under special offers, on the UK & American sites, the second person gets 50% off [uK finishes today 18th August] and the USA continues until 31st August.

There were no special deals for Australia or New Zealand, who are charged the double rate for travel.

I checked the prices for a balcony for two people from each country site, then converted them into Australian dollars using the same exchange website. The results show how much it would cost from each country into the equivalent price in Australian dollars.

UK - 8455.32

US - 9587.39

AU - 13628.02

NZ - 14092.00

To add insult to injury, from Australia and New Zealand, the air fare is usually at least $2000 return to go to Europe, whereas Europeans get almost a local airfare to Venice or nearby, and from the US, there is an added, but cheaper, airfare component.

I am an Elite with Celebrity, and about to go Elite Plus, but am really disappointed to see such predatory price gouging for Australian and New Zealand residents.

I do believe that with an address in another country, it might be possible to make a booking under those prices, but this requires a lot of effort [and probably a little subterfuge].

Why should we be charged $5,000-6,000 more a couple to make the same trip as Northern Hemisphere residents?

Why not try booking the cruise through a US travel agent? Then you will get the US price. I was going to do this before the 50% off second passenger was extended to the UK for the cruise I wanted. I did a search online and found a good TA in Florida - not one of the big ones- and got a quote. Didn't go through with it 'cos the offer was extended to the UK so booked direct.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree that we Australians and New Zealanders seem to pay a lot more for a cruise than anyone else. We've almost always cruised out of Europe, North or South America and other passengers are often shocked at how much it costs us compared to what they have paid - not to mention the airfares (comes with living so far away). I can't see anything changing so I guess we either pay up or stay at home.

... I can't see anything changing so I guess we either pay up or stay at home.
The cruise lines have found out you folks will pay inflated prices for a cruise. As long as you pay what they ask, they'll keep asking. I'm not saying its fair, just perfectly rational as long as the ships sail full.

I agree with you that this price variation seems very unfair. I note that also the US site often has better prices for the same cruise than the UK site does.

Why not just use your friends address for the booking and then transfer them the money? I agree you shouldn't have to do this...but let's be pragmatic! :) You could use your own email address for the documentation and you would be booking your own flights anyway.

I wonder what impact the devaluation of Sterling, since the Brexit vote, will have on Azamara's UK prices.

Regent UK has already announced a price increase wef 01/09/2016.

We were wondering the same, just had a look at Azamara's web sites around the World and the odd thing is that nearly all countries have the Summer of Savings offer with BOGOHO ending on the 31st August except for the UK & Ireland where the offer ends at midnight today.

As we are on Journey next week and looking at booking onboard to get our LCV discount we are waiting to see what happens tomorrow, hopefully there will be no increases yet, or we may need to review our plans.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wonder what impact the devaluation of Sterling, since the Brexit vote, will have on Azamara's UK prices.

Regent UK has already announced a price increase wef 01/09/2016.[/

Sterling now seems to be improving against the dollar after the latest set of economic figures!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was fully expecting the current BOGOHO deal to be extended as this has happened before, but no, we now have the Double Upgrade offer on selected 2017 sailings.

Good news is that the 2018 cruise we have in our sights is thankfully still the same price[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The cruise lines have found out you folks will pay inflated prices for a cruise. As long as you pay what they ask, they'll keep asking. I'm not saying its fair, just perfectly rational as long as the ships sail full.

It's interesting that the Australian charter of Quest this September is having such trouble filling that prices have been reduced to buy one, get one free and it is still not full.

I imagine the charter company won't do that again!

We are held over a barrel down here as while local cruises are pleasant, the range is wider in other parts of the world.

Many of the US sites end up charging nearly as much as the Australian Azamara fares by the times all sorts of fees and taxes are added in. And if you book your cruise late in the hope of a discount you run the risk of not being able to get flights, or have to pay exorbitant rates for them.

No wonder the authorities thought sending convicts down here was a good way of getting rid of them...it has always cost too much to return!

Cheers,

Sue

It's interesting that the Australian charter of Quest this September is having such trouble filling that prices have been reduced to buy one, get one free and it is still not full.

I imagine the charter company won't do that again!

We are held over a barrel down here as while local cruises are pleasant, the range is wider in other parts of the world.

Many of the US sites end up charging nearly as much as the Australian Azamara fares by the times all sorts of fees and taxes are added in. And if you book your cruise late in the hope of a discount you run the risk of not being able to get flights, or have to pay exorbitant rates for them.

No wonder the authorities thought sending convicts down here was a good way of getting rid of them...it has always cost too much to return!

Cheers,

Sue

Only a thought, you mention fees and taxes the only fees and taxes added here in the UK are port taxes and they should be the same wherever you book in the World. Could it be that there are some Australian taxes (such as VAT) that other markets are not subject too that makes your price that much higher?

For example although holidays are not subject to local taxes we are always being told that our Consumer Protection legislation increases the cost of doing business here and that reflects in the price.

I imagine it's something do do with the fact that it originates in Montreal!

Just wish I could afford to stay on it ( we are on the previous cruise, Southampton to Montreal)

I have also read that there are certain included Azamara perks that are not available- house wine etc. Not sure if this is still true.

I imagine it's something do do with the fact that it originates in Montreal!

Just wish I could afford to stay on it ( we are on the previous cruise, Southampton to Montreal)

I have also read that there are certain included Azamara perks that are not available- house wine etc. Not sure if this is still true.

Wine, standard liquors, etc., are now included. No Azamazing Evening, however. Not sure why embarking in Montreal should be a reason for difficulty in filling the ship

Only a thought, you mention fees and taxes the only fees and taxes added here in the UK are port taxes and they should be the same wherever you book in the World. Could it be that there are some Australian taxes (such as VAT) that other markets are not subject too that makes your price that much higher?

I think this varies per country, probably based on local taxes :confused:

For example, taxes, fees & port expenses for a specific cruise in september:

Azamara lists 87$

local TA lists 345€ (approx. 390$)

Last year my parents and sister's cruise got cancelled on very short notice.

They were compensated with a cruise where they only needed to pay for the port taxes and fees.

My sister just got back from the Journey and my parents are on it now.

They had to pay somewhere between 300 and 400 euros for the fees&taxes.

So the compensation would be better if they lived in another country :rolleyes: