Tickets-and-Tours.com Saint Petersburg

I noticed an ad on here for subject company for 2 Day Saint Petersburg Shore Excursion for $199. My understanding is that this company is just expanding into the shore excursion business, so my question may be premature. Does anyone have any experience with this company or their tours? Has anyone tried to book a tour through their webpage?

I noticed an ad on here for subject company for 2 Day Saint Petersburg Shore Excursion for $199. My understanding is that this company is just expanding into the shore excursion business, so my question may be premature. Does anyone have any experience with this company or their tours? Has anyone tried to book a tour through their webpage?

Prior to this year, I had never heard of this tour company nor have I ever read any reviews from cruise critic members who have booked with them. I just noticed that they began advertising on cruise critic this month or thereabouts. Lack of reviews does not necessarily mean a whole lot as every startup company must begin somewhere. But, you will most probably not find anyone on these boards who have used T&T. I also can't find this company anywhere on TripAdvisor (most tour companies are listed on this site).

So, if you feel comfortable using them without any prior reviews or references from cruise critic members, go for it. :)

Edited by dogs4fun

Why are you looking at this particular tour company? Is it only because they are cheaper than some of the others?

As was just said, all companies` have to start somewhere and in order to get business they have to be something different, like cheaper. But in all of business, cheaper isn't necessarily better. You just don't know.

If you came here for advice, mine is, book with any of the companies that have a sparkling reputation and you will not be disappointed. I know if that were me, I would worry whether or not they will even be at the dock, worry if they will be as good as the recommended companies, worry if I am stepping into something I really didn't want. I have enough grey hairs so for a few dollars more, I can sleep easy at night knowing I will be assured of a great time in St Petersburg. This is a once in a lifetime visit, do I want to trust it to a company that has no reviews, not even from family members on trip advisor. :D:D:D:D Sure they may become a great company, but they may also go belly up before you even arrive.

Cheers

Len

I got a PM about this tour company on Trip Advisor. But, how do I know the person who told me about them doesn't get a financial benefit for promoting that company?

The price sounds almost too good to be true and I'm wondering what's the catch that I'm not seeing?

According to them, their prices are much cheaper than others because they base the price based on Rubles and their price reflects the drop in the ruble value.

That makes sense, although they still do give you the price in US Dollars. Even if a tour company priced their tours on Rubles, I can understand why they might be quoting the tour price in US Dollars because it might be confusing and more work for American tourists to convert the Rubles price to a Dollar price.

And, they claim that as one of the main suppliers of museum tickets, this lets them avoid markup on the tickets.

Edited by hobbess

I suggest you contact the Destination Expert for St. Petersburg on TripAdvisor. He is involved with Tickets and Tours because they are his friends and they have asked him to consider guiding a pub crawl tour as "he knows all the bars"!

He has been very helpful and informative to me, and has thousands of posts on TripAdvisor.

They are government-licenced tour agents. They email you the tickets. You show them on arrival at passport control, and walk through into the terminal. You go on tour.

If you don't pay until the tour is over, or at the end of the day, what's the problem?

I think they are mainly ex-Denrus guides.

Edited by Bollinge

I got a PM about this tour company on Trip Advisor. But, how do I know the person who told me about them doesn't get a financial benefit for promoting that company?

The price sounds almost too good to be true and I'm wondering what's the catch that I'm not seeing?

According to them, their prices are much cheaper than others because they base the price based on Rubles and their price reflects the drop in the ruble value.

That makes sense, although they still do give you the price in US Dollars. Even if a tour company priced their tours on Rubles, I can understand why they might be quoting the tour price in US Dollars because it might be confusing and more work for American tourists to convert the Rubles price to a Dollar price.

And, they claim that as one of the main suppliers of museum tickets, this lets them avoid markup on the tickets.

If you received the PM from a destination expert named Stan, I believe that he is the same Stan that posts on these boards and used to work for DenRus (you can find this info by reading back a few years on Tripadvisor wherein other Russian destination experts expose Stan as an employee of DenRus). He used to promote DenRus on TripAdvisor but it is my understanding that he no longer works for them. This same person, both on cruise critic and Tripadvisor, says that he is an American expat who now lives in St. Petersburg and I suspect that he has an interest, although I am not certain specifically what, in promoting these tour companies. Stan's posts on cruise critic promoting T&T have been removed.

FWIW ~ Bollinge states in his previous post that this 'destination expert' will be guiding the pub crawls for the company in question and he claims that they are 'friends' of the destination expert (he states: "I think they are mainly ex-Denrus guides"). I believe that this would definitely qualify as an 'interest' in T&T.

This company may be just fine but I think that it is rather unfair for a destination expert to promote a particular tour company when they have an interest in said company. And, Cruise Critic rules specifically forbid such promotions by locals!

Stan provides a lot of useful information but, again, it is against rules on both TripAdvisor and Cruise Critic for locals to promote specific companies. That is why you received a PM - a clever means of skirting the forum rules.

I, for one, am very suspicious!

Edited by dogs4fun

I, for one, am very suspicious!

Some years ago, we pitched up in Chicago.

I found some guy through something like "Tours With Locals" on the internet via TripAdvisor, and they offered friendship to tourists, a free walking tour of downtown, blah, blah, blah, etc.

We met up with this bloke, he took us all around, up the Hancock building, along the waterfront, on the EL, in the library, past that posh girly toy shop and in the library building and in and out of a few pubs en-route.

He did not want to take any money, but I forced him to take $50 for his time.

He was a complete stranger and could have been an axe murderer - most people are not - so why would you be "suspicious" about someone recommending a similar, paid for tour, which is licenced by the Russian government?

There are so many posts here about "mysterious" St. Petersburg, anyone would think it's somewhere exotic! It's a normal European city.

If you want "exotic" try Cairo, Bangkok, Bombay or Tangiers!

If I were going to be in SPG on a land trip, I guess I wouldn't mind trying a new company. I'd have my own visa. But being on a cruise, I have to depend on the tour that I choose to do the paper work and and meet me after I get thru government checks. If I don't have a ticket and a reliable guide, I'm out of luck. Stuck on the ship. So, altho I think it's great to have a choice of companies, on this particular port visit, I'd prefer to go with a company that has been used and reviewed positively by lots of people.

Would we like to save a hundred dollars? Sure. But not if it causes me even a glimmer of worry.:o

I found some guy through something like "Tours With Locals" on the internet via TripAdvisor, and they offered friendship to tourists, a free walking tour of downtown, blah, blah, blah, etc.

We met up with this bloke, he took us all around, up the Hancock building, along the waterfront, on the EL, in the library, past that posh girly toy shop and in the library building and in and out of a few pubs en-route.

He was a complete stranger and could have been an axe murderer - most people are not - so why would you be "suspicious" about someone recommending a similar, paid for tour, which is licenced by the Russian government?

There are so many posts here about "mysterious" St. Petersburg, anyone would think it's somewhere exotic! It's a normal European city.

You missed my point.

I have been to St. Petersburg 4 times and this year I will visit a 5th time. I know it is a lovely city and plan to DIY with a visa. Very easy to navigate & I absolutely love the city.

I am not suspicious of St. Petersburg or its inhabitants nor do I find it "mysterious" or "exotic".

My point was: I am suspicious of the person that persists in promoting specific tour companies as I believe that he has an agenda (like I previously mentioned, check out some of the older posts on TripAdvisor). Furthermore recommendations of specific tours by locals are expressly forbidden on cruise critic (check the forum rules).

Enough said on the subject.

Edited by dogs4fun

and I live right outside NYC and for every 'honest person' I might find, there are 20,30, 40 others who aren't. So we should just trust in on person to be doing the right thing. You cite one example, but how many others have been ripped off by seedy dealings.

Since you have inside info on tour companies, it may work for you, but most of us 'real' people want to be sure we enjoy our one visit to St Petersburg and want to go with companies that have a good reputation and are reliable to a fault.

Personally, your agenda here sounds a lot like Stan's.

Cheers

Len

If you received the PM from a destination expert named Stan, I believe that he is the same Stan that posts on these boards and used to work for DenRus (you can find this info by reading back a few years on Tripadvisor wherein other Russian destination experts expose Stan as an employee of DenRus). He used to promote DenRus on TripAdvisor but it is my understanding that he no longer works for them. This same person, both on cruise critic and Tripadvisor, says that he is an American expat who now lives in St. Petersburg and I suspect that he has an interest, although I am not certain specifically what, in promoting these tour companies.

If Stan's an American expat, then he's probably this person as described on the TT website:

This unique 2 full day program was created after years of experience creating tours for cruise ship passengers, created by an American who knows the sorts of activities and approach Canadian, American and UK tour members would enjoy.

Although, I thought he was working for Anastasia because he wrote in another thread about Anastasia Travels:

Anastasia Travel is a well established company which has been around longer than most of the "big companies) but is less known because she does not spend the $20,000 a month on advertising that the larger companies do. Personally, I would rather than deal with someone honest and trust worthy like Anastasia than the big companies who are all newer and less well regarded here.

Unless he's working for both companies or the two companies are related, why promote Anastasia when Anastasia is in competition with TT for the same passengers for private excursions?

Or, maybe the local smaller tour companies scratch each other backs?

On that thread, another guide that works for a different tour company recommend TT publicly although it was a bit weird that she mentioned it was because TT thought it was unethical to profit from the lower ruble.

Is Tickets-and-Tours.com the cheapest excursion for private parties in St Pete? $199 is a good price for their 2 Day Shore excursion, but it doesn't go to as many sites as some of the other tour companies.

But, $289 for a private excursion for 2 people with Tickets is less than $300 you'd pay to join a 16 party group excursion with the other companies and much less than the $600 you'd pay for a private excursion for 2 with the other companies. My concern is that at that price for private excursions, everybody would chose that option over a group tour and they'd run out of guides.

Edited by dana r.

Is Tickets-and-Tours.com the cheapest excursion for private parties in St Pete? $199 is a good price for their 2 Day Shore excursion, but it doesn't go to as many sites as some of the

But, $289 for a private excursion for 2 people with Tickets is less than $300 you'd pay to join a 16 party group excursion with the other companies and much less than the $600 you'd pay for a private excursion for 2 with the other companies. My concern is that at that price for private excursions, everybody would chose that option over a group tour and they'd run out of guides.

What do you mean "run out of guides" ? If they accept bookings without the necessary guides, wouldn't that be a bullet to their business?

It sounds like you are wary of the "too good to be true" life's lesson.;)

If you choose this company make sure add honest reviews after the fact here and trip advisor.

Edited by eandj

If I were going to be in SPG on a land trip, I guess I wouldn't mind trying a new company. I'd have my own visa. But being on a cruise, I have to depend on the tour that I choose to do the paper work and and meet me after I get thru government checks. If I don't have a ticket and a reliable guide, I'm out of luck. Stuck on the ship. So, altho I think it's great to have a choice of companies, on this particular port visit, I'd prefer to go with a company that has been used and reviewed positively by lots of people.

Would we like to save a hundred dollars? Sure. But not if it causes me even a glimmer of worry.:o

Since TT is staffed by the people who used to work at DenRus, I don't think you need to worry about issues with paperwork and stuff like that. They've handled all that stuff before with DenRus so I don't see why it'd be any different.

But, I'd be a bit hesitant about how their guides operate since its different from how the other tour companies operate which may or may not be a good thing depending on the eye of the beholder.

From what they told me, they don't want their guides to do a memorized history lecture where the guide keeps on telling you on this date and then on that date tour guide.

TT is training their guides to do more of a conversational, interactive guide between the guide and tourists. And, TT guides are also giving their tourists 'free time' where you can go see or do whatever you want and then meet up later.

But, I thought the whole point of these visa-waiver tour guides was that you had to be with the tour guide the whole point.

An agency can say anything to get a tourist interested. Especially if the prices are out of the ordinary and customary.

Unless I talk to or read like people's reviews, I don't try new agencies in foreign countries especially while cruising. What is your recourse when you need to get back on the ship?

We talked to a couple who got a much shortened, uninspiring private tour in Italy. The driver/guide spent more time on his cell phone than speak to them. Their only recourse was to email and complain to the owner once it was over. They used a company none of us had ever heard of. Not sure if they ever got money back as the owner never responded while we were still cruising. They definitely left the port with the feeling they had "been taken".

If you choose this company make sure add honest reviews after the fact here and trip advisor.

Its a vicious circle, isn't it?

Nobody wants to try this company because nobody here has reviewed it which means that nobody will try it which means nobody can review it.

I will be using them in July, assuming all the communication goes well, and will post when I get back. It sounds promising, we were looking for a private tour and wanted some flexibility with our schedule so my hubby might be able to get some amazing photos. Depending on the weather/light conditions we are able to switch around some of our sites, not the ones with reserved entrance times, but a few others.

My parents did a tour with one of the larger companies and was not impressed. I considered 2-3 other smaller companies that do private guide/small groups, but there seemed to be a bit of a barrier, I asked a question and I didn't really always get an answer. This was the only one that seemed to understand my questions and answered it. I agree that they are just starting out, but they seem really experienced with it and hopefully will provide the service I am looking for. If not, you'll hear about it!

Jenn

I will be using them in July, assuming all the communication goes well, and will post when I get back. It sounds promising, we were looking for a private tour and wanted some flexibility with our schedule so my hubby might be able to get some amazing photos. Depending on the weather/light conditions we are able to switch around some of our sites, not the ones with reserved entrance times, but a few others.

My parents did a tour with one of the larger companies and was not impressed. I considered 2-3 other smaller companies that do private guide/small groups, but there seemed to be a bit of a barrier, I asked a question and I didn't really always get an answer. This was the only one that seemed to understand my questions and answered it. I agree that they are just starting out, but they seem really experienced with it and hopefully will provide the service I am looking for. If not, you'll hear about it!

Jenn

It's your decision Jenn, but your last statement says a lot to me. At least the way I look at it. "If not, we'll hear about it." But what good does that do you, unless you are planning to go back there one day. For us, it was a one time deal and we just wanted to be sure we had the best for that trip. we weren't that brave to try and use a company and say that we'll write an honest review and if they don't live up to expectations, you'll let every one know. again, that's fine for the next guy, but not for you.

I'm sure they will give you what you are expecting. Most of the companies do. But for myself, I wanted a 'no worry' trip, not having to worry if they were going to live up to expectations.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

I've been to St Petersburg before, albeit many years ago and not on a cruise ship and felt very comfortable in Russia.

I will touch base with them more than I might otherwise to make sure it sounds like all the components are in place. Hopefully a few people will try it out before me with success : )

I feel like I am stuck in the middle of something bigger. I am not trying to convince anyone else to take any particular tour, am not trying to discourage any place either, just will share what experience. There seems to be some scare tactics that I don't appreciate. From what I have read and heard it is a new start up company with people who have been in the travel business for a long time and are offering something I was looking for.

I believe that with the currency fluctuations this is a reasonable pricing structure for a company so don't think it is too good to be true for that reason.

When I asked questions, I got answers that seemed to make sense.

Jenn