Ridiculously short port stop in Naples

Dacoscosohana

Hi - A friend and I will be on the Costa Fascinosa which as many Costa sailings includes a ridiculously short port stop in Naples. I am not a big fan of Naples and have been there a few times with visits to Sorrento, Positano, Pompeii, Herculaneum, etc. when I've left the city. One thing I've previously missed that I've really wanted to do, is visit Capri. With the port stop being only 7:30 am - 2 pm, I understand it will be a whirlwind. That being said, I want to do it anyway, since I really don't love Naples. I know the hydrofoil takes about 30 minutes, so presuming I can get off the ship ASAP once they start the debarkation process, we plan to hop a hydrofoil to Capri. I found a boat tour that lasts about 2 hours that has the option to transfer boats to see the Blue Grotto. I know that's not guaranteed due to tides and crowds, but am thinking to give it a try. So if we do that and get on one of the earliest hydrofoils, we could theoretically conclude the tour by 10:30 - 11 am and have just a short time before grabbing a hydrofoil back to Naples (presuming we'd purchase a return ticket for 12 pm as soon as we arrive in Capri). Does the boat tour make sense, or would it be advisable instead to do the funicular and just wander a bit (and not try to see the Blue Grotto). I know this will not be a leisurely port stop, but would like to see some of Capri during this stop in Naples. I do wish I had done Capri the last time I was there since that stop was much longer... Any advice given the less than ideal circumstances would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Even the high speed ferries (hydrofoils) take 45-50 minutes to Capri from Naples. You'd be very lucky to get the 8:05 ferry (schedule here:http://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule); probably only if you purchase your tickets in advance. Otherwise you'll be standing in line at least a few minutes. So you're looking at the 9:00 arrival (best case) or 9:30 at Capri.

For your return there's a 12:15 ferry going back to Molo Beverello, so you arrive back at 1:00 pm. Not a lot of extra time, but doable. I certainly wouldn't take anything later.

So you'd have about three hours, a little more, if you're lucky. What you do with that time is for you to figure out! :D

Thank you, Cruisemom for your input. I'm just bummed that this port stop is so short, since Capri is one of the things in proximity I'd like to do. Do you have any suggestions for alternatives for a short port stop? I've visited several nearby places and have spent time in Naples a couple of times (not my favorite city). I'm struggling to figure out what I want to do while there that makes sense during the short stop. Thanks in advance!

That's precisely why I've never taken Costa or MSC before. I booked this one based upon the overlap of the Labor Day holiday to allow me an extra vacation day with limited vacation days from work. Would probably not have chosen it otherwise. Naples is the one stop I really wish was a full day to allow seeing Capri, but that doesn't seem prudent, given the short stop. I just am flummoxed about how to spend the time, given my previous visits to the area.

I don't think it is just MSC. I've been on NCL which have had equally short stops in the Mediterranean, Caribbean and Alaska.

I think the half day in Naples is instead of a full sea day, personally I would prefer a half day in port than a full sea day, at least I have the option to get off if I want.

Besides isn't Naples the only really short day? I thought the stops for Rome and Florence were long days?

That's precisely why I've never taken Costa or MSC before. I booked this one based upon the overlap of the Labor Day holiday to allow me an extra vacation day with limited vacation days from work. Would probably not have chosen it otherwise. Naples is the one stop I really wish was a full day to allow seeing Capri, but that doesn't seem prudent, given the short stop. I just am flummoxed about how to spend the time, given my previous visits to the area.

I think it's mainly MSC and Costa that have short days in Naples. Most US-centric ships are there for long days in order to sell the expensive Amalfi Coast full-day tours. :rolleyes:

Have you been to the Archaeological Museum in Naples? It's wonderful. Personally, Naples has more to offer than most think, but you haven't really been clear what your previous experiences there have been.

Although others will disagree with my assessment of Naples, other than a few sites within the city that I find interesting, I do not find it a particularly attractive city to visit. To each their own. I do, however, love the National archaeology museum in Naples - it is magnificent. You would easily have time for a visit during your short port visit.

Thank you, Dogs4fun. Naples also isn't a favorite of mine. I did go to the archaeology museum during my last visit, and it was interesting. I know it's not advised, but I may still do the quick turnaround to Capri just for a lack of ideas of what to do otherwise. :(

Thank you, Dogs4fun. Naples also isn't a favorite of mine. I did go to the archaeology museum during my last visit, and it was interesting. I know it's not advised, but I may still do the quick turnaround to Capri just for a lack of ideas of what to do otherwise. :(

Capri really is lovely, and worth a visit, but I think one of the considerations when you are making a decision to do something that is "not advised" and is running a very mild risk of missing the ship - is where is the next stop? If it is just a case of getting on a train and going to Rome then I would agree. If your next stop is Sardinia then maybe it is not such a good idea.