Agneau en Croute

dinosaurdem

I do not know if they make it in larger portions or not

I have never seen it

I have had Beef wellington it was a slice of a larger portion

It may or may not be on the menu for your sailing they do tweak the menus occasionally

Celebrity is not Oceania so somethings will be different than X

I think if you are grumpy already by some posts here that was my reason for thinking Oceania is not for you

much ado about nothing IMO

Again, I do not expect Oceania to be Celebrity. I expect it to be better. I simply wondered if something was on the menu, because I saw it on a sample menu and I like it. My crankiness came from an assumption from some posters that I needed information on the dish, on lamb, on internet sites, or on the difference between cruise lines. It felt a bit like being lectured about my ignorance. I had one question. Is it still on the menu?

Edited by dinosaurdem

As I already said you may have to wait until you are onboard to find out

If it is on today's sailing it may not be on the sailings in a month's time

Thanks. By the way, you live near my second favorite city in Canada.

Edited by dinosaurdem

Again, I do not expect Oceania to be Celebrity. I expect it to be better. I simply wondered if something was on the menu, because I saw it on a sample menu and I like it. My crankiness came from an assumption from some posters that I needed information on the dish, on lamb, on internet sites, or on the difference between cruise lines. It felt a bit like being lectured about my ignorance. I had one question. Is it still on the menu?

Dino, agree with you 100%!

Thank you for informing me that Oceania only makes agneau en croute in large portions and slices it. That was not true on Celebrity. I have no idea why people assume that a request for information, even if disappointed by the answer, disqualifies someone from sailing Oceania. If you have partaken of the dish, please let me know what you thought.

Here's the way it was prepared in July 2015. The "medallion" was trimed from a whole rack and prepared en croquet similar to beef Wellington. Cooked, then cut in half as a serving portion, not sliced further.

Then if the Celebrity chef made it for you on request, maybe Oceania's will do as well. It never hurts to ask! All they can do as say no.

I suspect they appreciate requests like this.

Mura

All a little too fancy for me. Give me a good Peter Luger steak and I am happy. I do know that O will try to honor special requests when they can. They really try very hard and that is one of the reasons we keep coming back. :):):)

Here are some images of the dish discussed.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=agneau+en+croute&id=33AC2400E675F6568E2656F12AB12B41EE5994EA&FORM=IQFRBA

It seems quite obvious to me from these pictures that a much larger than individual portion is customarily prepared and then sliced individually.

I do not eat lamb so I have never had it (and I ignore it on the menu) - hence I am relying on this info from the internet.

To OP - is this the dish you are interested in? If so, I am sure it has to be requested ahead of time (if not on the menu).

Good luck.

Edited by Paulchili

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=agneau+en+croute&id=33AC2400E675F6568E2656F12AB12B41EE5994EA&FORM=IQFRBA

It seems quite obvious to me from these pictures that a much larger than individual portion is customarily prepared and then sliced individually.

I do not eat lamb so I have never had it (and I ignore it on the menu) - hence I am relying on this info from the internet.

To OP - is this the dish you are interested in? If so, I am sure it has to be requested ahead of time (if not on the menu).

Good luck.

Thanks for the pictures. I have only had the dish three times and each was an individual portion. I understand, however that it could be prepared differently. The one time I had it on request, I talked to the chef three days in advance.

Thanks for the pictures. I have only had the dish three times and each was an individual portion. I understand, however that it could be prepared differently. The one time I had it on request, I talked to the chef three days in advance.

Agreed.

I think trying to order it ahead of time - if it can even be accommodated - is the way to go.

I cannot imagine the kitchen accommodating anyone with a special order (i.e. an item not on the menu) placed at the dinner table with the kitchen staff going full speed with plating meals for several hundred diners with their regular menu.

Looks like it can be prepared in many ways

A couple of years' ago on Regatta, we joked with the waiters that 'spotted dick' was never on the dessert menu. Guess what? One evening the pastry chef ceremoniously delivered one to our table. He told us it was nice to make something different. Apparently, the waiters were excited to see our surprised reaction!

For those who have never had it - it's a steamed suet pudding with dried fruit and is served with custard.

Good luck.

For those who have never had it - it's a steamed suet pudding with dried fruit and is served with custard.

su·et

noun

the hard white fat on the kidneys and loins of cattle, sheep, and other animals, used to make foods including puddings, pastry, and mincemeat.

Spotted or not, we now know what happened to the British Empire...:D

Edited by StanandJim

su·et

noun

the hard white fat on the kidneys and loins of cattle, sheep, and other animals, used to make foods including puddings, pastry, and mincemeat.

Spotted or not, we now know what happened to the British Empire...:D

So the British actually had nothing to lose but blood, suet, toil and tears?

Very funny!!

I've seen two different Menus for Jacques on Oceania's website. One has agneau en croute and the other does not Which is current? This is one of my favorite dishes.

Just checked the menu posted outside Jacgues on the Riviera, it is not on the menu. Instead they have "Provincial Loin of Lamb."