Agneau en Croute

dinosaurdem

Except in new zealand, good lamb is very seasonal for a quality kitchen to consider. So spring and early summer would be my guess winter not so much except as said if your in New Zealand where sheep out number the Racks and loins can be frozen but for fresh cut braised stuff.. not likely Rember sheep are mutton and lamb is the new spring born critters

Regent and O do their meat purveyor stock from the USA for the most part. When they re stock in places like Tahiti and other ports they ship in refer containers to meet the ship rather than trusting local suppliers for many things like quality and health standards.

But it could be worse in Hawaii the pigs outnumber the residents

I've seen two different Menus for Jacques on Oceania's website. One has agneau en croute and the other does not Which is current? This is one of my favorite dishes.

Not sure what menus you are looking at so hard to comment

The ones online are sample menus so sometimes they may change (not often for the specialties)

One is with the info on the restaurants. The other is on the page where you make your reservations for the specialty dinners.

Any menu that you see off of the ship itself is meant to be representational rather than actual.

Oceania ships have larders proportionate to their size, and every menu item will obviously not be available in every quarter of the planet where they must provision.

We always say, "hope for the best, expect the worst".

I've seen two different Menus for Jacques on Oceania's website. One has agneau en croute and the other does not Which is current? This is one of my favorite dishes.

You have not been on a cruise that served this dish in Jacques,it I underdtand correctly and have actually never been in Jacques or aboard Oceania If I understand correctly.

However you read an advertisement piece, in a web site, not a actual ship menu, which was posted as things THAT mIGHT BE"FOUND' "That was posted to give a viewer a 'general NOT SPECIFIC, idea of what might be served, typically IN Jacques. jUST as you might possibly get Tournedos Rossini in Jaques if the were ever offered as the kitchen is of that caliber.

Then you went back to the same web site and saw there was a different menu posted which did not have the menu item you saw before on it.

Sorry to say what you saw was a generalization of what one might find rather than "here is the absolute accurate, you can bet your last dollar on every last detail menu we serve without fail'.

The post was to suggest that dishes of this sort of caliber were to be found along with many others IN Jacques. AND IT MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT ACTUALY HAVE EVER BEEN This is akin to the car gets 35 mph hiway, however your mileage may vary... Sorry

Having been in Jacques many times over the years around the globe, I in truth have never ever seen this menu item appear at any time in the past .

sorry to say.. There are tons of great menu items so dont feel bad, and some times they are out of something for some reason... B

My wife had the agneau en croute on Marina July 2015, excellent. But we did not see it on the menu on our May/June 2016 cruises. Will be on Riviera Weds. Will check the menu.

From the description on the menu it was clearly NOT what you were looking for. But is that a deal breaker?

I've had wonderful lamb on Oceania's ships, whether in the GDR or in Jacques.

While I enjoy red meat "en croute", I also enjoy it "sans croute"!

I will add that I find beef on the menu far more frequently than I do lamb, it doesn't matter which restaurant you are in.

We haven't been on Marina since May 2015 and the Riviera menu that was posted looked quite a bit different to me. Maybe it's my memory that is problematic! We'll be back on board next April and I will read the menu in Jacques VERY carefully!

I DO miss the wonderful moules appetizer they eliminated a while back ... those were SO GOOD. If you like moules ... I must not have been alone since they always ran out of them before the end of the cruise...

Mura

From the description on the menu it was clearly NOT what you were looking for. But is that a deal breaker?

I will add that I find beef on the menu far more frequently than I do lamb, it doesn't matter which restaurant you are in.

We haven't been on Marina since May 2015 and the Riviera menu that was posted looked quite a bit different to me. Maybe it's my memory that is problematic! We'll be back on board next April and I will read the menu in Jacques VERY carefully!

I DO miss the wonderful moules appetizer they eliminated a while back ... those were SO GOOD. If you like moules ... I must not have been alone since they always ran out of them before the end of the cruise...

Mura

Obviously not a deal breaker. I have had it three times, once from JFK's White House chef and twice on Celebrity. Once the chef made it just for me. and it is one of my favorite dishes.

Then if the Celebrity chef made it for you on request, maybe Oceania's will do as well. It never hurts to ask! All they can do as say no.

I suspect they appreciate requests like this.

Mura

Then if the Celebrity chef made it for you on request, maybe Oceania's will do as well. It never hurts to ask! All they can do as say no.

Mura

I am certainly no expert but aren't the 'en croute" dishes made as a "whole" - like Beef Wellington & Salmon en croute - rather than individual slices (like beef steaks or lamb chops)?

If so, individual request like that may be more difficult to accommodate unless requested ahead of time and the "dish" is put on the menu as a special for that night. Worth a try.

Edited by Paulchili

Mura

Moules were offered as a special appetizer on Marina in June along the French coast. Just happened to be in Jacques on the right day.

I am certainly no expert but aren't the 'en croute" dishes made as a "whole" - like Beef Wellington & Salmon en croute - rather than individual slices (like beef steaks or lamb chops)?

If so, individual request like that may be more difficult to accommodate unless requested ahead of time and the "dish" is put on the menu as a special for that night. Worth a try.

I appreciate your familiarity with the dish and, yes, it can be made for two. I was not looking for a slice. As someone who has had the dish I am getting cranky about advice from folks who haven't. Sorry. I'll wait for a response from the couple who have had the dish on Oceania.

Mura

After the request, Chef Denise frequently visited our table to talk food.

I appreciate your familiarity with the dish and, yes, it can be made for two. I was not looking for a slice.

I do not think they make individual portions it comes as a slice of the larger piece

same for the Beef wellington

Maybe Oceania is not for you :rolleyes:

Actually Orv I apologized for being cranky, but I know how the dish is prepared. I appreciate the answers that have told me that the posted menus are only samples, that they have had the dish and will let me know if it is still on the menu, and that the chefs on Oceania tend to be a little inflexible. Most of the posts do not speak to the question I asked. I do, however, understand that the posters are well intentioned, but some of the answers make an assumption that I don't know what I'm talking about. I do realize you mean well, but I really am looking for new information. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

I do not think they make individual portions it comes as a slice of the larger piece

same for the Beef wellington

Maybe Oceania is not for you :rolleyes:

Thank you for informing me that Oceania only makes agneau en croute in large portions and slices it. That was not true on Celebrity. I have no idea why people assume that a request for information, even if disappointed by the answer, disqualifies someone from sailing Oceania. If you have partaken of the dish, please let me know what you thought.

Mura

I do indeed.

Thank you for informing me that Oceania only makes agneau en croute in large portions and slices it. That was not true on Celebrity. I have no idea why people assume that a request for information, even if disappointed by the answer, disqualifies someone from sailing Oceania. If you have partaken of the dish, please let me know what you thought.

I do not know if they make it in larger portions or not

I have never seen it

I have had Beef wellington it was a slice of a larger portion

It may or may not be on the menu for your sailing they do tweak the menus occasionally

Celebrity is not Oceania so somethings will be different than X

I think if you are grumpy already by some posts here that was my reason for thinking Oceania is not for you

much ado about nothing IMO