Which next cruise...? Baltic?

Dark Avenger

We did the Med. Odyssey in early April with a Venice and Barcelona add-on front and back and loved it. Booked three months in advance and had to really struggle to get a cabin. Thinking about doing the Baltic cruise (Viking Homelands) - being part of the "still working world" with the usual complications that brings, we are not the kind to book way in advance, which always brings uncertainty. So a few questions:

1. Best time/sailing to visit the Baltic? Which is the optimal date/sailing based on weather and crowds?
  2. When you book in advance with Viking, when is the money actually due?
  3. The Homelands cruise seems pretty Norway heavy - is that a negative?
  4. Is that long train trip to Berlin worth it?
  5. How does one stagger travel insurance to limit the exposure (payments)? Booking in advance is more acceptable if I can hedge my cancellation risk as the money is paid out (including the insurance fee). I usually book myself, rather than go thru a travel agent.
  6. Can a travel agent actually save me money - how often do they kick back some of their commission. I know this site does not permit the recommendation of travel agents - would that be possible "off line"? We live in Denver and my last agent was a disappointment - I am pretty hands-on and just took over the process - She offered no perceived value gain from my perspective.
  7. They keep sending those damn brochures and running commercials on PBS, it's not fair

Thanks in advance

The only one I can offer advice on is how far out do they require payment. We just completed the Empires of the Mediterranean in April as our first ever ocean cruise. We loved it so much we just booked our second one today! We are doing the Trade Routes of the Middle Ages (Bergen to Barcelona) for October 6, 2018. Our balance is due July 31, 2017.

I have heard that payment dates vary by country, and I have read on this site that if you request a later date there may be some flexibility. We did not ask the agent who booked the trip for that possibility. We have chosen the Veranda cabins (lowest price, last to book excursions, cannot book restaurant reservations until on board), and those do tend to fill up most quickly.

1. Summer

3. It's a positive. Norwegian fjords are beautiful.

4. No, not enough time in Berlin, long trip to get there and back.

6. A travel agent is supposed to give you onboard credits you can use for excursions, better alcohol etc.

1. Summer

3. It's a positive. Norwegian fjords are beautiful.

4. No, not enough time in Berlin, long trip to get there and back.

6. A travel agent is supposed to give you onboard credits you can use for excursions, better alcohol etc.

But don't try to use the credits before you get on board. Presailing booking is paid for at time of booking and not on you bill for the cruise. You might be able to use it for Alcohol package if it is purchased once on board.

We did the Med. Odyssey in early April with a Venice and Barcelona add-on front and back and loved it. Booked three months in advance and had to really struggle to get a cabin. Thinking about doing the Baltic cruise (Viking Homelands) - being part of the "still working world" with the usual complications that brings, we are not the kind to book way in advance, which always brings uncertainty. So a few questions:

1. Best time/sailing to visit the Baltic? Which is the optimal date/sailing based on weather and crowds?
  5. How does one stagger travel insurance to limit the exposure (payments)? Booking in advance is more acceptable if I can hedge my cancellation risk as the money is paid out (including the insurance fee). I usually book myself, rather than go thru a travel agent.
  6. Can a travel agent actually save me money - how often do they kick back some of their commission. I know this site does not permit the recommendation of travel agents - would that be possible "off line"? We live in Denver and my last agent was a disappointment - I am pretty hands-on and just took over the process - She offered no perceived value gain from my perspective.
  7. They keep sending those damn brochures and running commercials on PBS, it's not fair

Thanks in advance

You will be swamped if you do the cruise in summer but the shoulder season is a better price. I followed the cruise that just returned and they had good daylight hours at this time of year and the temps were fine. Also. natural waterfalls should be in full bloom.

Just booked the cruise that you were on for April next year and final payment is September, so I assume it's 6 months out.

The cruise may seem Norway heavy but if you do Stockholm to Bergen, it's a welcome change after all the National capitals you've visited and really is the crowning glory of the trip. The opposite way your time in Aalborg and Gdansk is longer and later in the day.

Berlin is a personal call. If you do the included tour it is a long haul each way on the train but perfectly comfortable and much better than the cramped quarters on the bus for that time. If you have never been and don't see it in your future and want to experience it, then go. We did. Now I know to get a guide, weather with the paid Viking excursions or one arranged when you hit Berlin. With the included you get an hour and half bus tour but once that is over it's free time and it's a long way to go to just amble, though to some, this is what they like to do.

Did the insurance through Viking and booked with them but this time I'm looking into options on the outside. I did book the cruise with them today so insurance is on my agenda for the next week.

Anything else you think of let me know. I have more opinions than money. Of course, your payment is insight on your cruise, since you've done it.

RE: insurance - I always buy myself via insuremytrip.com and be mindful of the time limits (often 14 days after initial trip payment/booking) so you have pre-existing medical condition waiver (this is a huge insurance loophole and trap for the unwary without it) - Viking's insurance does have the 100% cancellation coverage in Viking credit but I think no pre-existing med condition waiver. You can buy for additional premium a :cancel for any reason" coverage which usually reimburses up to approx 70% - this varies depending on ins. co.

RE: insurance - I always buy myself via insuremytrip.com and be mindful of the time limits (often 14 days after initial trip payment/booking) so you have pre-existing medical condition waiver (this is a huge insurance loophole and trap for the unwary without it) - Viking's insurance does have the 100% cancellation coverage in Viking credit but I think no pre-existing med condition waiver. You can buy for additional premium a :cancel for any reason" coverage which usually reimburses up to approx 70% - this varies depending on ins. co.

I book with an outside company for two reasons:

1. If I have to cancel, I want my cash back, not a promise for the future.
  2. Viking's insurance only covers what you purchase through Viking. If you buy your own flights, they are not covered and you will need to get second policy just to cover them.

The Homelands cruise is great. We did this in June 2015 (Bergen to Stockholm) and while on board booked for our Athens to Barcelona cruise which we have recently returned from (April 2017). While on board we again booked a new cruise for July 2019 (Seward to Vancouver).

As we are both in the "working world" we find the two year spacing gives us ample time to save.

The weather was a lot colder than we anticipated but were told along the way that they were having a cool summer!

Here in New Zealand our final payment is due three months prior to sailing.

Hope this info helps a little.

My TA has always discounted 15% above Viking prices but I think Viking changed their TA rules a few weeks ago. You should still be able to find some discounts even if onboard credit if you don't book directly with Viking.

Travel insurance: I always book with Insuremytrip. What I do is insure a minimum amount within 2 weeks of my initial deposit (say my deposit). That way my preexisting conditions are covered. I then increase my coverage at final payment to cover my entire trip cost. I call insuremytrip to make sure that the company I am choosing to insure with will do this. That way, when I do my final payment, I can add up my airfare, hotels, whatever, and include it in my final trip cost. Of course they then increase my premium, but I ask at the beginning what the premium will be. Another benefit is is that if I decide to cancel the trip that I have booked the premium that I have paid transfers to another trip and I don't lose it. I've never had a problem and I've actually had to cancel a trip 6 days prior (emergency surgery) and I got a complete refund for everything including my priceline nonrefundable hotels. I've probably insured through them over 20 times.

World nomads has excellent prices on travel insurance, but does not cover preexisting medical issues.

For us, covering pre-exisiting conditions is very important. We have elderly parents and if we have to cancel at the last minute or even leave our trip early, we need to know that these expenses will be covered.That is why we buy insurance in the first place. We don't want to buy insurance and then have our claim denied because they claim that my mother's heart attack was caused by a pre-existing condition and hence not covered. Buying the cheapest coverage isn't always the wisest decision.

1. Just finished Homelands. Loved it. Fantastic. Shoulder season like May is cheaper with less crowds. Weather was fine for our 28 May cruise and also the one 2 weeks earlier. June more expensive. May Not crowded.

2. Viking is in midst of changing policies. Our next cruise payment is not due until 6 months before sailing. I'm in USA.

3. Norway is fantastic. Did not expect Bergen to be as nice. Bergen do the tram by yourself.

Eidfjord: Took Viking rail trip to Flam. Waterfalls. Tunnels. Trains. Nice!

Stavanger: do pulpit rock cruise on your own at 1/3rd the price we paid Viking. Rodne cruises. Book online.

St Pete got together on Roll Call and a dozen of us went on private 2 day tour with TJ Tours (5* reviewed on Trip Advisor) saw everything, early admission and loved it. Much less expensive than Viking. No visa needed for TJ or for Viking.

4. Did not take long trip to Berlin instead took fun steam train along Germany coastline. Bad Doberman & Molly Railway excursion. Also took free included tour of Rostock, not pretty but great insight into iron curtain life.

5. Viking offers cancel for ANY reason. Look at other sites for cheapest price (I've used some of them) but check their coverage. I want any reason coverage. Your needs may be different.

We did the Med. Odyssey in early April with a Venice and Barcelona add-on front and back and loved it.

Thanks in advance

So we have now booked the MO for next April 21. I wonder if you could answer a few questions?

1 How was the weather?

2 When was the CC party?

3 When did they have the first Captain introduction gathering? Day 2 for VH.

4 When was the farewell get together in the Atrium? Night we entered last port for VH and the last night was entertainment in Atrium.

I'm just trying to get things lined up for planning accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

We are on Homelands in early September, Stockholm to Bergen. I expect the weather to be pretty nice- we lived in Oslo for several months and when we moved there at the end of August, the weather was gorgeous and stayed so through the month. I went to Stockholm in October and it was very pleasant. St. Petersburg was cold and snowing, but it was early December when we visited the city.

We recently booked the Northern Lights cruise for March 2019 and final payment will be 6 months before the cruise. TA could not offer discounts, but have some credits and such. We are buying the insurance in increments as others have described.

Getting ready for 6/29 Viking River Cruise - Grand European. This will be #3 river cruise; Paris to Normandy, and China. Both were fabulous! Thinking of changing it up for next year with a Viking Ocean Cruise, maybe Viking Homelands or Mediterranean Explorations. Any thoughts? Some comments on using a TA. I always do TONS of research, but use a TA. I like the fun planning but hate the headaches of booking trip/ flights/extras. She tracks any flight changes, seats etc. and follows up. It doesn't cost anything, so why not? We are adding three days on our own, and I tell her what I want and she takes care of that. That $200 cabin credit is nice too :) I travel with friends who are scattered all over the USA, so co-coordinating is a pain. We pay the $50 for Viking Air Plus and for me, it is totally worth it. Better flights, connections, seats, etc. I'm a teacher so there is no time for long phone calls! On my last trip, at the on-board talk about future trips, Viking offered a $200 voucher for $100 I bought it since I'm all about Viking! Do they still offer this? Since I have to travel at peak season, these extras help! For this trip we also got the Explorer Society credit of $100, free air, trip insurance. (Using the TA credit towards the drink package - hehe) I figure that's about $1600. One final note, I didn't used to take trip insurance, but I've heard some real horror stories, so now I get it. Our add-on was on our own, so it wasn't covered. The TA got us covered for $25 ea. for the last three days. Just some peace of mind. Now if I could just get my 93 y/o mom to agree to some home healthcare check-in service when I'm away for three weeks...

On my last trip, at the on-board talk about future trips, Viking offered a $200 voucher for $100 I bought it since I'm all about Viking! Do they still offer this? Since I have to travel at peak season, these extras help! ...

They did last September.