Booking Onboard - Gratuities?

JVNYC

Good day all. Does anyone know if Oceania is offering pre-paid gratuities for onboard bookings for the new 2017 schedule? None of the new Summer 2017 sailings include gratuities, so I'm curious if booking onboard will throw them in. Any info?

Thanks!

Good day all. Does anyone know if Oceania is offering pre-paid gratuities for onboard bookings for the new 2017 schedule? None of the new Summer 2017 sailings include gratuities, so I'm curious if booking onboard will throw them in. Any info?

Thanks!

We were on the Marina last month and I did not see that any of the onboard bookings included gratuities. Some travel agents offer discounts and OBC, like mine. ;)

We did book one of the 2017 cruises in the new schedule (through our TA) and when we are on the ship this September, we should be able to get the onboard pricing discount applied to that cruise already booked.

Usually the on board booking terms are the standard Oceania offers at the time of booking. A small discount is given off the future cruise cost- say about 3% (that can vary by selected cruise), and you receive an additional $100 OBC on your current cruise. Sometimes lower deposit requirement as well. As stated in another thread, a "low price guarantee" has been another benefit- subject to the fine print, of course.

We were on the Marina last month and I did not see that any of the onboard bookings included gratuities. Some travel agents offer discounts and OBC, like mine. ;)

We did book one of the 2017 cruises in the new schedule (through our TA) and when we are on the ship this September, we should be able to get the onboard pricing discount applied to that cruise already booked.

Thanks for the info Carol! I believe we have the same TA. :) I also booked something for 2017 and hope to have the onboard discount applied when we are onboard in July. It's nice that they still do that for us! Hope you enjoyed Marina last month.

Thanks for the info Carol! I believe we have the same TA. :) I also booked something for 2017 and hope to have the onboard discount applied when we are onboard in July. It's nice that they still do that for us! Hope you enjoyed Marina last month.

I am not sure that the "onboard booking" discount applies to already booked cruises.

I believe that the onboard booking discount (+ $100 OBC & lowest price guarantee) is only for new cruises booked while onboard.

I could be wrong though.

Edited by Paulchili

If your agent is sharp, they will be able to discover special groups for sailings and if booking into those groups you can get a lot of extra OBC and gratuities which O packages with the "group offering"

As an example a cruise that was offered with just the O choice offer however,+ $600 obc in addition to the O choice offerings. + gratuities as well.... when you booked into a group

Another reason to have an agent who works for you and with O a lot... finding a group offer you can get in on will please you no end....far more than the $100 you get for booking on board... Move wisely......

Edited by Hawaiidan

I am not sure that the "onboard booking" discount applies to already booked cruises.

I believe that the onboard booking discount (+ $100 OBC & lowest price guarantee) is only for new cruises booked while onboard.

I could be wrong though.

I think the key thing is whether there is availability in the cabin category that you have booked. If it's sold out, you can't do it, but if not, the On Board Ambassador should be able to contact Miami and have your booking redone and give you a new invoice while you are still on board.

I could be wrong though.

I can say from experience that this time you're wrong Paul. That doesn't happen often though.

As the other poster mentioned there has to still be availability in your category.

I can say from experience that this time you're wrong Paul. That doesn't happen often though.

As the other poster mentioned there has to still be availability in your category.

In Feb. we re did our July cruise on board and received a pretty good discount from what we already paid. The cruise consultant was great and contacted Miami and found there was still availability in our PH class and got us the on board booking discount. It can be done.

Thank you for the correction.

I wonder what then is the true advantage of booking onboard if you can book at home and then get all the advantages of booking onboard later (additional 3-5% off, lowest price guarantee, $100 OBC, etc)? Why bother to book onboard to start with?

What happens to the TA's commission if the change is, say, 3 months after the initial booking?

I have 2 future cruises booked (one each for 2017 & 2018) - I will see what happens when I try this on our June cruise :)

PS I understand about your cabin category still being available as a condition for any changes (at home or onboard),

Edited by Paulchili

I wonder what then is the true advantage of booking onboard if you can book at home and then get all the advantages of booking onboard later (additional 3-5% off, lowest price guarantee, $100 OBC, etc)? Why bother to book onboard to start with?

What happens to the TA's commission if the change is, say, 3 months after the initial booking?

I have 2 future cruises booked (one each for 2017 & 2018) - I will see what happens when I try this on our June cruise :)

PS I understand about your cabin category still being available as a condition for any changes (at home or onboard),

Boy, a lot of questions. Most above my pay grade. I guess we were lucky to get the discounts and maybe not ever again. Don't know all the answers. Hope someone will fill in the blanks for us.

If your agent is sharp, they will be able to discover special groups for sailings and if booking into those groups you can get a lot of extra OBC and gratuities which O packages with the "group offering"

As an example a cruise that was offered with just the O choice offer however,+ $600 obc in addition to the O choice offerings. + gratuities as well.... when you booked into a group

Another reason to have an agent who works for you and with O a lot... finding a group offer you can get in on will please you no end....far more than the $100 you get for booking on board... Move wisely......

That's a good point Dan. Our TA had a group for our upcoming cruise and we are getting some additional things like OBC and free gratuities in addition to the O-Life. She gives us a sizeable rebate on the cruise as well.

I think we may possibly have the same TA. :D

I did enjoy the Marina last month, and also last year, and will be enjoying her again in September. :D

Paul, it is my understanding that you only get the onboard discount. No OBC, no LPG. It is just added to your current booking, they don't make a new booking. My TA told me to make sure I did it while onboard as I'd never of it before.

Paul, it is my understanding that you only get the onboard discount. No OBC, no LPG. It is just added to your current booking, they don't make a new booking. My TA told me to make sure I did it while onboard as I'd never of it before.

Thank you,

I will try this in June and see what the pluses and minuses are - what I will potentially gain and what I might have to give up by doing this.

Will try to remember to post after.

I think the key thing is whether there is availability in the cabin category that you have booked. If it's sold out, you can't do it, but if not, the On Board Ambassador should be able to contact Miami and have your booking redone and give you a new invoice while you are still on board.

True.

True.

I did this in November, the FCC told me that they no longer give you an invoice on the ship, that my TA would email it to me, which is what happened.

It might be different if you don't use a TA, or it might be different from ship to ship. This was on Riviera.

Paul, I'm pretty sure there's no downside, you don't lose any perks, or at least I didn't, they just give you an additional amount off.

I would think you get the value of the "club certificate" - at least $200 per person plus you might also get a $100 OBC for the cruise you are on - in your case, your cruise in June. Now, if you take advantage of that OBC and eventually cancel the upcoming cruise, they will deduct the $100 from your deposit. Only fair.

I would think you get the value of the "club certificate" - at least $200 per person plus you might also get a $100 OBC for the cruise you are on - in your case, your cruise in June. Now, if you take advantage of that OBC and eventually cancel the upcoming cruise, they will deduct the $100 from your deposit. Only fair.

Actually, I disagree with both of these statements.

1 You I'll get a $200 "club certificate" after completing your cruise whether you booked it onboard or at home (that is if there even is such a thing any more) - thus there is no advantage for this for booking onboard vs at home

2 I don't think you will get a $100 OBC for "repricing" your existing cruise while onboard - only if you book a NEW cruise while onboard.

At least, that is what I think :)

Actually, I disagree with both of these statements.

1 You I'll get a $200 "club certificate" after completing your cruise whether you booked it onboard or at home (that is if there even is such a thing any more) - thus there is no advantage for this for booking onboard vs at home

2 I don't think you will get a $100 OBC for "repricing" your existing cruise while onboard - only if you book a NEW cruise while onboard.

At least, that is what I think :)

Well, Paul, I certainly respect your right to disagree.

Let me make this comment: Assuming they still send them out, I seem to recall those certificates said for "New Bookings" only. You want to reprice a cruise you have already booked. I believe you can do that with the on board Ambassador, assuming availability,etc. I put the words "club certificate" in quotes because that's how the discount reads on the invoice. One sometimes has to wait one's turn to chat with the Ambassador, but for a $400-$500 discount, I'm willing to put in the time. :)

And, to be clear, I said you "might get" the OBC.

Thinking this over I see no reason why you couldn't get the Club Certificates applied while booking on board. Assuming you had them, and you were in the correct number of days since your last cruise, and you were booking a new cruise on board it should work.

Now, applying them to an existing cruise outside the window probably wouldn't work.

Also you're not going to get a Club Certificate just for booking on board either.

Thank you both for your input.

We be saying the same thing in different ways (or not) :).

In any case, in June I will try to re-price my existing bookings for 2017 & 2018 to get onboard booking discount (provided my category is still available) and will report back as to what happened.