Packing for the Anthem of the Seas

firsttimecruise2017

I read the incredibly large packing thread but I'm not sure how many of the items are relevant to Anthem since it's different than other ships. This is our first ever cruise. It'll be myself, my husband, and our 13 year old if you have suggestions. Thank you.

I do not understand how the Anthem is different from other ships except perhaps that it is bigger.

DON

Other than with some different activities and venues, Anthem is no different from any other ship in terms of what you would pack. As mentioned, pack as you would for any vacation - shorts and tops for the day, slacks for the evening (formal if you wish), bathing suits, etc. I don't understand why a packing list is needed - there is nothing unique about a ship that requires anything special in the way you would pack from any other vacation.. And again, just as Anthem is different from Oasis, and Oasis is different from Freedom, etc., they are all still ships just with different designs and features.

Enjoy your first cruise.

I was reading that it would be good to bring something to hold items for the shower but it seems like some ships have shelves. I also read about bringing magnets but then some ships don't have magnetic walls. So I was just asking for anything I would need to bring other than the obvious clothes for a week stay on the Anthem. Thank you.

Congratulations on your cruise - our kids loved to cruise so I hope you have a great time. My list of needs is short and we go in a 22" carry on each. Battery tea lights to act as night lights, small flashlight which actually lives in the suitcase for all trips, multihead plug for charging electronics, pack toiletries in zip lock bags so they can be easily stored on shelves in the bathroom and a limited supply of pain reliever, antibiotic ointment and motion sickness medication. Other than that there are the obvious - ID, credit card, cruise documentation and plenty of music to listen to on the IPod as well as audiobooks.

I was reading that it would be good to bring something to hold items for the shower but it seems like some ships have shelves. I also read about bringing magnets but then some ships don't have magnetic walls. So I was just asking for anything I would need to bring other than the obvious clothes for a week stay on the Anthem. Thank you.

Sorry - if you had specified those concerns originally, then maybe they would have been addressed. All bathrooms on all RCI ships have sink counters and cabinets above and a shelf below with plenty of storage for your toiletries. All the doors and walls on all RCI ships are metal and suitable for magnets. Anthem is not different or unique from any other RCI ship regarding these things. No need to pack anything extra or special for those concerns.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I read the incredibly large packing thread but I'm not sure how many of the items are relevant to Anthem since it's different than other ships. This is our first ever cruise. It'll be myself, my husband, and our 13 year old if you have suggestions. Thank you.

My first cruise was in December on the Anthem. I poured over the packing lists for months and it turned out that I didn't need most of the stuff people said was "necessary". If you pack as you would for any other vacation, I'm sure you'll probably have everything you need

There were exactly four things I found on those lists that came in handy- a travel mug, a sun hat, magnetic hooks, and the recommendation to not take too much stuff. Seriously, pack your stuff, and then take out 20- 30% of the clothes you packed.

Once I know our itinerary for a cruise I write it out and do the following:

Sea Day - Swimsuit, Cover-up (suitable for going in WJ or MDR for lunch) flip flops Dinner outfit (formal or casual)

Excursion on Boat: Swimsuit, Cover up (suitable for some shopping after the boat) flip flops. Dinner Outfit

and so on. Then I put the specific outfit beside the day and make a list of the items (some pieces will be worn multiple times, mixed and matched)

I carry a magnetic, soft, flat flashlight that someone got for me from Bed,Bath and Beyond. It "sticks" to the wall by the bed so it's handy. I don't carry the over-the-door hanger thing or a laundry bag.Everything goes in zip-lock bags (3 gal) as clean and during the progression of the week, they end up in the zip-lock with a big X, which means dirty. This works better for me than the packing cubes, which I bought but no longer carry. I carry a cardboard "box" that folds flat in the bottom of the suitcase (from the Dollar Store). I put the hair dryer, cosmetic bag, toiletries in it so that it can be carried to the bathroom and back to the dresser with everything I need to get ready in one spot. At the end of the cruise, you can flatten it and take it back or just leave it. I carry a lanyard and a magnetic hook which holds the lanyard when I'm not wearing it. I carry an additional hook for hanging a damp suitsuit on. I carry a zip lock with over-the counter medicines. Nothing worse than a headache, stomach ache etc, in the middle of the night, which the ship shops are closed or getting to the port ready for an excursion feeling ill. I include cold meds, allergy meds, band-aids,Bonine and neosporin...just in case. I carry a couple of the packs of individual Kleenex's and toss them in my backpack for shore excursions because sometimes the public restrooms don't have any (ugh).I carry some of the individually wrapped antiseptic wipes...just because you never know when you might need one (ugh). I take sunscreen (and on some cruises, bug spray) because it's twice as expensive on the ship or in the port and I carry lots of small bills for tips to the porters, room service, taxi's and small purchases on shore. I carry my own shampoo and conditioner and LOTION. My skin aways feels really dry on a cruise. I carry a wrap or light sweater because sometimes the a/c feels really cool in the dining room and at the shows.

• 1 year later...

The bathrooms on Anthem have nightlights, but no clothesline inside the shower. I bring a shortie wetsuit for the Flowrider on Anthem, because Day 2 and Day 6&7 may be barely above the minimum temp for the Flowrider to be open. (50 F) this equals short lines.  But once I fall, it's cold with just a suit on. (December trips)

My boys bring basketballs so they can play basketball before the organized activities begin at 9 or 10 in the Seaplex.  Ship balls are usually available.. but since we drive to this one it's a nice extra.

Anthem has much better outlet and USB configurations than older ships.  

That's all I can think of that is "different" for Anthem!

• Like 1