Once in a suite, always in a suite......NOT! What was your experience?

Planmaam

Haven't read through the whole thread but I"m in the 'Suite not worth it' camp--and it wasn't even the price I objected to. We were in a forward penthouse on the Jewel and yes breakfast in Cagney's was fun and yes the cabin was huge and beautiful BUT it was too beautiful (if that can be believed)--as soon as we were back on the ship from a port it was like we were sucked back into it, only to emerge for meals and shows, such that after the cruise was over we felt like we never experienced the ship! Honestly I like to be part of the masses and not part of the privileged. IMO

Absolutely.

This was very much our experience. We really liked the room itself (Owners Suite on the Pearl, and found ourselves drawn to the Haven a lot. It wasn't a deliberate thing, just what we did.

When we went on the Jade (a sister ship of the Pearl) the following year in an aft mini suite, we realised how unfamiliar we were with the public areas on the ship, and how little time we had spent in them on the Pearl. Overall we had a much better time onboard on the Jade than we had on the Pearl.

Whilst the large suite on the Pearl was nice, and having the extra room was a real bonus, we also really love those aft rooms. That location is a huge benefit over the suites in different areas.

Planma'am, it can be done! My minimal suite experiences have always been wonderful yet I have gone back to lesser category cabins. I consider the cabin category cruising experience desired at time of booking, the perceived value of my cabin’s cost, and what I wish to afford at time of booking. I might afford the suite, but it does not mean I choose it given what I think the vacation experience would entail. I have in my head what I think a good price is for each category, for each ship, for each itinerary, during particular times of the year. Factor in promotions, my product knowledge, and many years sailing with them, I then make the choice. I have always been happy with my choice. I hope you are too! Edited to add that my last cruise with them was February 2016...so I do not know current prices, experiences, value, etc.

coka:D

I read in correctly, now mini-suite are the only ones available for $4,500 USD per person average.
Wow... sounds more like the cruise for "the rich and famous" to me. That's not us and never will be. LOL

And those people sail Carnival :')

We sail in Haven suites on NCL, and we also sail on Carnival? As a matter of fact, we have a Havana cabana balcony cabin booked on Vista next May. We originally booked the Havana suite but "downgraded" to Havana balcony and bought Faster to the Fun for the perks. We still get access to Havana, gained $100 OBC and saved nearly $3K! So I think a lot of people sail in suites on NCL along with regular cabins on other lines, including Carnival.

Hmm....$16,999 sounds more like the price for 2 people, not one. Are you sure you read it right?

It is now available on line again for the exact same price. The 29 day Sydney to Hong Kong is only $14,000+ per passenger, by comparison a real deal.

Alright, just got home from 7 days in the Haven. For background, I have 3 kids that are 15, 11 and (almost) 2. I absolutely LOVED access to the Haven courtyard because it was perfect to have breakfast and lunch in the quiet atmosphere for our toddler. She could move around and not be stressed by the busy restaurants, etc. My 11 year old made enormous use of the pool - since we were in Alaska, it was too cold for us in the main pool (hey we're Floridian).

Traveling with the kids, I think this is probably the only way for us to go. We definitely made use of the concierge, early boarding, skipping lines perks that the Haven presented to us, as well as spending so much time in the Haven.

Traveling with just me and my husband? I could see going back to a non-suite room because we'd probably spend more time in the public areas of the ship. I could see us instead buying spa passes for quiet escapes. However, I do love to be pampered and would likely spring for the suite if budget allows.

It is now available on line again for the exact same price. The 29 day Sydney to Hong Kong is only $14,000+ per passenger, by comparison a real deal.

I found one better than that. 29 day Hawaii & South Pacific (Honolulu to Sydney) is only $37,999 per person. But, other categories (inside, ocean view, balcony) seem very reasonable for a 29 day sailing.

Alright, just got home from 7 days in the Haven. For background, I have 3 kids that are 15, 11 and (almost) 2. I absolutely LOVED access to the Haven courtyard because it was perfect to have breakfast and lunch in the quiet atmosphere for our toddler. She could move around and not be stressed by the busy restaurants, etc. My 11 year old made enormous use of the pool - since we were in Alaska, it was too cold for us in the main pool (hey we're Floridian).

Traveling with the kids, I think this is probably the only way for us to go. We definitely made use of the concierge, early boarding, skipping lines perks that the Haven presented to us, as well as spending so much time in the Haven.

Traveling with just me and my husband? I could see going back to a non-suite room because we'd probably spend more time in the public areas of the ship. I could see us instead buying spa passes for quiet escapes. However, I do love to be pampered and would likely spring for the suite if budget allows.

Even without children and grandchildren going with us I love the quiet and serenity of the Haven.

I have sailed in an inside, oceanview, balcony, mini-suite, and on my most recent cruise, Penthouse suite 10164 on the Gem. The Penthouse was a splurge for a special occasion, and I had high hopes based upon all I had read about "the suite life."

It was wonderful to be able to dine in Cagneys for lunch and have breakfast in Modernos. Aside from this, I believe that all of the other "perks" were lost on me. It was nice having fruit as an afternoon snack when we returned to our stateroom after a day out and about, and the free movies in the evening were nice since we did not go to any of the shows. But are these things worth the price of a suite? No. Will I book a suite again? No. I'll use the tip money for the concierge and butler for spa treatments instead when I book a balcony (which is now my preferred stateroom category).

One thing I must say about suites on the Gem (and I mentioned this in my review that I have not seen posted yet): they have not been upgraded and are pretty shabby and tacky. I do not think that Norwegian can justify the cost of the suites when they clearly did not update them most recent refurbishment. The carpet was the only thing that was updated and now it clashes with the bordello-colored, outdated decor. The furniture is worn and not properly maintained. Drawers stuck, and the door to the refrigerator fell off.

A cautionary word to anyone who reserves this particular Penthouse suite: although it is located two decks below The Great Outdoors, you will awake each morning to debris and remnants from the clean-up overnight. We found straws, food, and other unidentifiable objects on our balcony every morning which made having my morning sunrise coffee a little yucky (for lack of a better word). Our cabin steward made every effort to clean the balcony after we left for the day, so when we returned the balcony was clean. If you want to relax on clean cushions in the morning, make sure to bring the cushions in every night before you go to bed.

The menu the butler can deliver isn't a menu. It's anything on the ship. The menu you can order from in a regular cabin is limited to selected items. That's why it's not the same as just "paying for what you want".

Is this free for suite guests, or do they charge the a la carte prices that the restaurants do? What about ordering food from a free restaurant?

Is this free for suite guests, or do they charge the a la carte prices that the restaurants do? What about ordering food from a free restaurant?

You may order from any menu on the ship and you do not pay a room service fee. You can ask for the menus and just request your butler bring the food. However, you do pay for food from the paid venues such as Cagney's etc. just the same as if you went to the restaurant.

You can order practically anything. If it is a specialty restaurant you pay the fee as if you were in that restaurant. No extra delivery fee.

Exceptions are Teppenyaki and Moderno. And have heard sushi is also questionable.

If you are on a ship with a dedicated suite restaurant that is no extra charge, as well as all of the other complimentary venues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can order practically anything. If it is a specialty restaurant you pay the fee as if you were in that restaurant. No extra delivery fee.

Exceptions are Teppenyaki and Moderno. And have heard sushi is also questionable.

If you are on a ship with a dedicated suite restaurant that is no extra charge, as well as all of the other complimentary venues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the reminder about Teppenyaki and Moderno. They slipped my mind since we never eat at either of these.

Definitely miss the perks, but the slightly larger rooms aren't that big of a deal. One thing I like about Carnival is the Faster to the Fun program which gives you priority embark/disembark/customer service/tenders room ready when you board. For an extra $70, you get the "priority" benefits of a suite without having to pay for a suite. We are giving Haven a try for the first time next year, maybe we won't be able to live without it, we'll see!!!

Never sailed Carnival; what are their suite perks that you are paying for?

Suite - yes. Haven- no. Since we sailed in aft suites on the Sun and Spirit years ago, we have sailed only aft suites since. We have been sailing mostly SF cabins on the Dawn and Jewel class recently. We usually sail with extended family or friends, so the Haven makes little sense since they would not have access. We think the perks available at that level is more than we could ever need. We have also been very fortunate to have had great butler and concierge service on all our cruises. The cost for the SF category is also one of the best bargains at sea if you book early enough. The Haven fares are crazy across the fleet, and getting worse.

Suites are worth it if you think they're worth it. To some, being in an inside room is fine. I've had a solo cabin on the "----Away". Was it fine? Sure. Didn't really care for it as I felt I had no place to go except when the solo common area was manned. Then again, I didn't pay for the "suite" or Haven experience, either. I got what I paid for....a place to sleep and access to whatever "non-private" pools, bars, restaurants the ship offered.

I sailed in the Haven Spa Suite with my (then) wife. The private Haven Bar and pool was a favorite hangout, as was our balcony, and the whirlpool in the room. The Concierge took care of ALL of our bookings, even when we'd miss a show, she'd find us great seats at the next available show. Our Butler brought us breakfast in the a.m. and set everything up in the suite while we lounged out on the Balcony. Yes, he brought us our favorite fruits while we weren't around, either. Whatever we asked for, we got. Granted, we didn't require a hot meal while the sea was rough. Not sure we would have made such a request, either....knowing things get sideways during bad weather on a cruise. But, we were never turned down, nor felt to be a bother.

The same of it, and as others have pointed out, sailing in the Haven has become very expensive over the last few years. So, in terms of value, it's tough to make that argument.

That brings me to the Yacht Club on MSC. Similar (wonderful) suite experience on a beautiful ship for $ thousands less than the Haven.

Or, reverting to an ocean view balcony on RCCL's newest (Harmony) leaving later this week for about ½ the price of the Haven, even with a drink and specialty dining package.

I would imagine the price pendulum will swing the other way for NCL's Haven guests. Just a matter of time.

We sail in Haven suites on NCL, and we also sail on Carnival? As a matter of fact, we have a Havana cabana balcony cabin booked on Vista next May. We originally booked the Havana suite but "downgraded" to Havana balcony and bought Faster to the Fun for the perks. We still get access to Havana, gained $100 OBC and saved nearly $3K! So I think a lot of people sail in suites on NCL along with regular cabins on other lines, including Carnival.

You took that joke far too literal.

Never sailed Carnival; what are their suite perks that you are paying for?

I have only sailed in the suites twice on the smaller Carnival ships leaving the west coast. Both ships offered nothing for the suites except for early embarkation and priority embarkation and debarkation. NCL suite experience is head and shoulders over the small Carnival ships we sailed on in a suite. No butler and no concierge.