Once in a suite, always in a suite......NOT! What was your experience?

Planmaam

How? Is it a random draw? Do they give it out every sail to.some.lucky person(s)?

By the power's that be @ random as they wish.

And VIP Perk benefits may vary. Say like With / without Cagney's .

Edited by biker@sea

Well I have read through this thread and still don't see the answer to the question :(. I must be lost with so many detours from the subject.

We started out on NCL with the DOS on the Gem I found this a very noisy location and wouldn't book it again. My husband loved the royal treatment but didn't think the Haven (without kids) was anything special. We then booked only suites on NCL, but have found even with the 2 BR suites the service has gone down. Suites on NCL were worth it to us only because I enjoy priority boarding and we enjoy Cagney's breakfast.

That said as to our cruise history with NCL we are in a aft balcony on the POA next spring. We are at the top of the loyalty tier but our family memebers are not so we think it will be a little different for us this time. I would also like to know how much difference to expect going from the suite life to a balcony though it may be different on POA.

For the record we travel twice a year most years because we like cruising and though we are blue collar workers we save and spend what we feel we can for what we want. After all it is our time off.

Multi-quote response:

1. Some people don't have children, and the money they have is theirs to spend as they wish. Not spending it = wasting its potential to unlock additional enjoyment.

This is a non-sequitur. Nobody is telling you not to treat yourself. The question is whether or not a suite is worth they money. It would be foolish to spend money unwisely to get access to suite perks that provide little in return when that money could be spent on other aspects of your vacation. There was not one suggestion to put the money not spent on a suite in the bank from anyone.

4. The menu the butler can deliver isn't a menu. It's anything on the ship. The menu you can order from in a regular cabin is limited to selected items. That's why it's not the same as just "paying for what you want".

There are items like "gummy bears" the butler brings to your room and leaves whether you asked for it or not. Yes, that's not on the standard room service menu. No, this is not what I consider a worthwhile perk.

5. The main benefit (for me), other than the space, the exclusive spaces when there are Havens, and the access to private restaurants, is the idea of not waiting in lines. I will willingly pay a premium to avoid lining up on my vacation. A good concierge marshals their guests via back elevators & stairwells & entrances into venues so they can avoid lines. THAT is the main thing I'd miss if I had to give up the suite life entirely.

Yes, that's what NCL has done to nudge people into the Haven vs. a "suite in name only." They have a lot of a la carte and upgrade options on their ships. Maybe too many.

The main benefit (for me), other than the space, the exclusive spaces when there are Havens, and the access to private restaurants, is the idea of not waiting in lines.

This is a good example of how the different benefits can be valuable to some people and not to others.

I so rarely have to queue when on a ship, that avoiding them just isn't an issue. Even when I do end up queueing, it is either for an extremely short time, or one that being in a suite wouldn't be able to avoid anyway.

In fact, when we did stay in a suite, I found the queue jumping situations more of an annoyance anyway. For example we used priority disembarkation once, and ended up waiting around in a lounge for a while and then in a corridor for some more time. Had we not been in a suite we would have just waited a short while for the initial rush to die down and just walked off in our own time with no queueing at all.

Of course, in some situations (St Petersburg springs to mind), priority disembarkation would be handy for us, but that is very rare.

Having said that, others will do different things to us at different times and will be more liable to be in queues, so the benefit will be more valuable. As with so much of this, it depends on individual circumstances.

I found it to be true' date=' once we tried a suite, every booking after that was in a suite; until the most recent booking. Because of the increase in suite prices, we have booked a balcony for our next cruise, and though we are Platinum, know we will miss those suite perks! :( Though we have never been on a ship large enough to have a separate Haven restaurant, we always enjoy breakfast and lunch in the suite venue, as well as the larger bathrooms and cabins.[/size']

If you have done this, what was your experience? Did you really miss all those suite perks? Did you manage fairly well in an "other than suite" room? Just want to know others' experiences.

We've never booked a suite and I do have a question. What might be the difference between a suite/balcony/inside cabin? If a suite is only $ 300 more than it might be worth it. But I've read that a suite in Haven could be $ 1,000 more than a standard balcony; $ 2,000 for two people for a 7 day cruise? Almost $ 300 per day? I could do a whole 'nother week in a standard cabin for that price!

We are doing a Transatlantic this fall and originally booked an inside cabin at $ 599 (I think), But then we ended up at $999 because we got a balcony with the Beverage package and 4 dinners at specialty restaurants. Seemed worth it.

We've never booked a suite and I do have a question. What might be the difference between a suite/balcony/inside cabin? If a suite is only $ 300 more than it might be worth it. But I've read that a suite in Haven could be $ 1,000 more than a standard balcony; $ 2,000 for two people for a 7 day cruise? Almost $ 300 per day? I could do a whole 'nother week in a standard cabin for that price!

We are doing a Transatlantic this fall and originally booked an inside cabin at $ 599 (I think), But then we ended up at $999 because we got a balcony with the Beverage package and 4 dinners at specialty restaurants. Seemed worth it.

The price for a suite is often about twice the price for a standard balcony cabin.

One week on the Epic this summer should cost close to $10000 in the Haven when I checked the prices, don't know the price for a standard balcony cabin. Decided to try something else.

Did a quick search on ncl.eu and found these prices for July 15 next year on the Epic:

Balcony from €1869 (around $2100)

The Haven from €4059 (around $4600)

That's the price for one in shared cabin so double for two.

Edited by sverigecruiser

How? Is it a random draw? Do they give it out every sail to.some.lucky person(s)?

I have met a few VIPs who are typically those with many sailings on NCL - or - have friends in upper management. I have also read of some instances where the meet and greet organizer was granted VIP status.

On one Sun cruise we had dinner with HD Brian Walters, 2 gents who were also in a suite same as us and a woman travelling alone in a non-suite. The other travellers both had 100 plus NCL cruises each. The woman told us she was VIP that trip with the exception of the suite breakfast, which she said she gets sometimes.

The two gents are the ones who travel with their NCL COLLECTION of memorabelia of their travels. It is extensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To give an idea of the relative prices, I have taken a random cruise on the Jade in 2018 and compared the lowest prices for the different categories.

If we take the price per person for an inside as a basis then the prices for the others are as follows:

Inside 100%

Oceanview 106%

Balcony 136%

Mini Suite 151%

Suite 231%

Haven 362%

These numbers can vary quite a bit from cruise to cruise, but that one seemed fairly standard. It shows that a Suite on the Jade is over twice the price of an inside, and about 70% more than a balcony. A Haven suite is about two and a half times the cost of a balcony.

Getting a Haven suite is usually cheaper on the newer ships than the Jewel Class (and the experience is generally reported to be better) as all suites have Haven access. The negative of that is that for people who aren't fussed about the Haven and just want a nicer room, those ships are more expensive, as you can't avoid getting Haven access. For example, taking a random Getaway cruise, you can get Haven access for 270% of the cost of an inside.

Basically, $1,000 extra per person per week is not far out. If anything a little light.

To give an idea of the relative prices, I have taken a random cruise on the Jade in 2018 and compared the lowest prices for the different categories.

If we take the price per person for an inside as a basis then the prices for the others are as follows:

Inside 100%

Oceanview 106%

Balcony 136%

Mini Suite 151%

Suite 231%

Haven 362%

These numbers can vary quite a bit from cruise to cruise, but that one seemed fairly standard. It shows that a Suite on the Jade is over twice the price of an inside, and about 70% more than a balcony. A Haven suite is about two and a half times the cost of a balcony.

Getting a Haven suite is usually cheaper on the newer ships than the Jewel Class (and the experience is generally reported to be better) as all suites have Haven access. The negative of that is that for people who aren't fussed about the Haven and just want a nicer room, those ships are more expensive, as you can't avoid getting Haven access. For example, taking a random Getaway cruise, you can get Haven access for 270% of the cost of an inside.

Basically, $1,000 extra per person per week is not far out. If anything a little light.

Excellent information. Thanks.

On the Epic now and DH and I looked at each other in the serenity that is Haven and once again started thinking maybe we should not opt out of the suite/Haven experience. We have booked quite a few suites so you could say we have become spoiled.

We will be in the Haven on the Epic in 3 weeks, can you lets us know who the butler is and what has the service been like for you? Enjoy your cruise

I found it to be true' date=' once we tried a suite, every booking after that was in a suite; until the most recent booking. Because of the increase in suite prices, we have booked a balcony for our next cruise, and though we are Platinum, know we will miss those suite perks! :( Though we have never been on a ship large enough to have a separate Haven restaurant, we always enjoy breakfast and lunch in the suite venue, as well as the larger bathrooms and cabins.[/size']

If you have done this, what was your experience? Did you really miss all those suite perks? Did you manage fairly well in an "other than suite" room? Just want to know others' experiences.

We sailed in balconies and then one time we could not pass up a deal on a 2 bedroom suite, we had my SIL sailing with us. It was an awesome experience so we booked suites for our next two cruises also. We really enjoyed the Haven on the Getaway and would love to do it again. The prices are just more than we are willing to pay. Our last cruise on the Escape we went back to our aft balcony. We had a great time and really did not miss the suite as much as I thought I would. We spent more time exploring and going to venues than we did when we had the Haven (which we rarely left) It was fun and we realized what we were missing when we were in a suite. Would I go back to a suite? Yes, if the price was right but it was fun going back to the way we originally started cruising.

The prices are just more than we are willing to pay.

I agree with this, suites on NCL cost more than we are willing to pay.

For us that doesn't mean that we book a standard balcony cabin. We try a suite on MSC instead and hope that's as good and if not at least we save some money.

We will never go back. If a suite on a cruise isn't an option we rather not cruise.

I agree with this, suites on NCL cost more than we are willing to pay.

For us that doesn't mean that we book a standard balcony cabin. We try a suite on MSC instead and hope that's as good and if not at least we save some money.

We will never go back. If a suite on a cruise isn't an option we rather not cruise.

I always book early so that we can at least get a great aft balcony

We will be in the Haven on the Epic in 3 weeks, can you lets us know who the butler is and what has the service been like for you? Enjoy your cruise

Service is spectacular. Andy and Oswald are bartenders at the Posh Bar and really make great drinks. Jennifer always has a smile and a warm greeting in the Haven Restaurant. Head Concierge David Contreras is so sweet and between he and Assistant Concierge Lyster we feel so specially cared for. Our butler is Johs Leon and tease him about he who brings are food and provides everything and more when we return. Get ready for a wonderful time,

Service is spectacular. Andy and Oswald are bartenders at the Posh Bar and really make great drinks. Jennifer always has a smile and a warm greeting in the Haven Restaurant. Head Concierge David Contreras is so sweet and between he and Assistant Concierge Lyster we feel so specially cared for. Our butler is Johs Leon and tease him about he who brings are food and provides everything and more when we return. Get ready for a wonderful time,

Wow..can't wait! :D

I never got the obsession with the butler leaving snacks in your room. Like you don't eat enough on a cruise already, anyway

It's really nice to come back from the beach and have some sandwiches waiting for you. Kind of a appetizer until you can get to O'Sheehan's, the buffet or room service.

We just did our first Haven in January (upsell) and we are now hooked. It's a LOT more money but we think it's worth it. It would be very difficult to go back. The disembarkation was wonderful. We were in NY and had my BIL picking us up and we walked off the ship around 8 AM and he was sitting there when we walked out the door. It was perfect. Loved our Butler Roland but the concierge Anoop wasn't needed much. The Haven Restaurant was awesome. We have an aft Haven for February for 2 weeks and can't wait.

My only two cruises so far with NCL, were in Owner's Suites on Dawn, thanks to the Upsell Dept! (may she rest in peace. :loudcry: )

I have a cruise booked in Dec and am currently in a mid-ship Balcony, so I'm hoping for a chance for the upgrade bidding, but we'll see.

I will admit.... If we don't upgrade, it will really be hard going back to just a balcony room. No butler, no LARGE bed and big bathrooms, free liquor, water, and soft drinks, etc... Just typing that, I got teary eyed. :o

You made me laugh out loud with the teary eyed comment. Best of luck with the upgrade. We just didn't want to take the chance and bit the bullet and booked early for February. Used AMEX offer to save a few bucks and cashed in NCL Bank of America points - every penny counts. Living like a queen for 2 weeks is worth scrimping the other 50 weeks.

You made me laugh out loud with the teary eyed comment. Best of luck with the upgrade. We just didn't want to take the chance and bit the bullet and booked early for February. Used AMEX offer to save a few bucks and cashed in NCL Bank of America points - every penny counts. Living like a queen for 2 weeks is worth scrimping the other 50 weeks.

Too bad NCL has removed all offers like AMEX and AARP and Bonus Latitudes points for early booking.

Makes booking way ahead not so fun :o

It's all part of the Haven experience, IMO. Any time we had to show a room key for anything, people practically tripped over themselves. I think they (the employees) are told to give VIP treatment to Haven guests. We ate in the MDR one night only because we wanted to see the Burn the Floor dinner show. They assigned a waiter and an assistant to our table, and only our table. It was a little comical, actually.

That's good to know. The service in Haven restaurant is so much better and more relaxed than the main dining rooms. We have 4 specialty dinners on our next cruise and will have the platinum perk of Le Bistro of La Cuccina but we might not use them because we like the Haven so much. I miss the pork belly appetizer. Found a recipe that sounded like it might be similar and it was a real disappointment. I guess I'll just have to wait till February!!!

Is your experience in the Haven quite recently ? We are going on our first cruise in July and are staying in the Haven on the Epic and really want it to be special as it's to celebrate my mum's 80th birthday!🎂

Was on Breakaway in January - YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!! It's like a yacht inside a big cruise ship. It was my 25th cruise and I rarely left the area. The service is spectacular. ENJOY and Happy Birthday to your Mum!!!!!! Mine just turned 95 last week. We almost had her talked in a cruise in 2018 but she really doesn't like to leave her house much anymore.

Thanks for your reply. Actually, how I live and how I vacation are very different. But there are reasons for that. I enjoy learning about people and celebrate our similarities and differences, so I will elaborate.

I am still in my 50's, so yes, my idea of a great vacation has changed. I was once an active, athletic type and looked for parasailing, hiking, physical stuff. Now I love R&R, spa, etc.

My day to day life is pretty active. I am always on the go with friends and family. After 30 years in my own home I sold it and live in a downtown high rise. It is NOT a luxury building. Very urban. Although I have a car I do a lot of public transportation because it is convenient.

I have worked for the same family business for over 26 years. My office job has me catering to their every need. Read between the lines. I also take care of myself, no housekeepers, and I help my elderly mother with her needs.

I used to cruise with mom. She has slowed down now. In the beginning I planned everything and I would cater to her. I was always making our plans, running around the ship booking this or that.

On our Jewel transatlantic things changed. We made friends with a couple in the Haven, called the Courtyard back then. I realized I had been my mother's butler and concierge while she was relaxing. What? Someone else could do things for me for a change? One week out if the year I could truly unwind?

I graduated to the suite life and never looked back.

So, since I am divorced a long time with no kids I can manage my finances and pay extra for the kind of vacation that makes me happy. My bosses are generous and My Christmas bonus goes to travel. I am not spending my retirement funds. I live frugally day to day. In fact I just bought a new Honda because my 12 year old Saturn gave all it could give.

You would find that a lot of people in NCL suites are a lot like me. Regular folks.

Wow - we sound very similar. Except I retired a few years ago after working for a family business for 14 years. I travel with my 2 sisters and we totally enjoy being pampered every minute of every day. ENJOY!!!