Once in a suite, always in a suite......NOT! What was your experience?

Planmaam

An interesting article the other day on USA today talks primarily about the high end cruise lines but also mentions NCL Haven. I found this comment interesting:

Some critics point out that the new luxury options — especially those “behind the velvet rope” arrangements, such as The Haven — may be creating resentment and animosity between the classes (not unlike walking through first class to your seat in coach). On the other hand, the proliferation of luxury and experiential options gives the average traveler an opportunity to go for the occasional splurge, say, on a great hotel room while still going budget on other parts of his or her trip.

I don't share any resentment as I could readily pay for this experience if I felt it to be of value (my opinion only) but I do think about the ship resources that may be devoted to a small percentage of passengers. NCL has been at the forefront of

driving the suite experience (I give them credit for this and I am sure it has been a most profitable undertaking) and I have seen how other lines have been forced to respond by adding amenities to their suite experience (X and Princess with dedicated dining venues, etc.). I personally hope cruising doesn't return to the 'old' days (I guess Cunard still retains this to some extent) where you have distinct classes of accommodations with restricted ship areas. Perhaps an unusual view point but I always enjoyed the 'classless society of cruising' ie everyone was pretty much in the same boat (no pun intended) and all venues were open to all and the cruise line and crews worked to provide an enjoyable experience for all. JMHO

An interesting article the other day on USA today talks primarily about the high end cruise lines but also mentions NCL Haven. I found this comment interesting:

Some critics point out that the new luxury options — especially those “behind the velvet rope” arrangements, such as The Haven — may be creating resentment and animosity between the classes (not unlike walking through first class to your seat in coach). On the other hand, the proliferation of luxury and experiential options gives the average traveler an opportunity to go for the occasional splurge, say, on a great hotel room while still going budget on other parts of his or her trip

I don't share any resentment as I could readily pay for this experience if I felt it to be of value (my opinion only) but I do think about the ship resources that may be devoted to a small percentage of passengers. NCL has been at the forefront of

driving the suite experience (I give them credit for this and I am sure it has been a most profitable undertaking) and I have seen how other lines have been forced to respond by adding amenities to their suite experience (X and Princess with dedicated dining venues, etc.). I personally hope cruising doesn't return to the 'old' days (I guess Cunard still retains this to some extent) where you have distinct classes of accommodations with restricted ship areas. Perhaps an unusual view point but I always enjoyed the 'classless society of cruising' ie everyone was pretty much in the same boat (no pun intended) and all venues were open to all and the cruise line and crews worked to provide an enjoyable experience for all. JMHO

Interesting. I don't mind that they offer luxury suites and that experience obviously comes with its own perks that you are paying for....that's the whole point, you are paying for that. As long as it does not infringe upon or take away from the other paying passengers experience then I have no issues with it...................I mean if the ship is sinking and the luxury class gets the first life boats I will definitely have a problem with that. That said, if I had the money to book a Haven suite I'd be going for it, but I think I'd rather book a suite on a luxury all-inclusive cruise line where the whole ship is dedicated to that.

Was on Breakaway in January - YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!! It's like a yacht inside a big cruise ship. It was my 25th cruise and I rarely left the area. The service is spectacular. ENJOY and Happy Birthday to your Mum!!!!!! Mine just turned 95 last week. We almost had her talked in a cruise in 2018 but she really doesn't like to leave her house much anymore.

Thank you !! I hope your mum had a fantastic 95th celebration! We can't wait to go now and we got no idea what to expect! Just went for the plunge and booked the DOS ! 🤣

I found it to be true' date=' once we tried a suite, every booking after that was in a suite; until the most recent booking. Because of the increase in suite prices, we have booked a balcony for our next cruise, and though we are Platinum, know we will miss those suite perks! :( Though we have never been on a ship large enough to have a separate Haven restaurant, we always enjoy breakfast and lunch in the suite venue, as well as the larger bathrooms and cabins.[/size']

If you have done this, what was your experience? Did you really miss all those suite perks? Did you manage fairly well in an "other than suite" room? Just want to know others' experiences.

So our first suite experience (and our first NCL experience) was on the Dawn to Bermuda 6 years ago. There is no Haven on the Dawn but my parents took the family on a "once-in-lifetime" trip in the Garden Villa (which became a "twice-in-a-lifetime" experience when we repeated it 2 years later). My only two trips on Dawn have been in that magnificent villa, and we have subsequently sailed in the Haven on Epic, Breakaway, and Escape. I don't get all jazzed about concierge/butler, or even breakfast at Cagney's (although the Haven is a nice peaceful breakfast), but I do love the extra cabin space, and the number one reason I can't picture sailing NCL without being in a suite or Haven is because I love to relax in the pool or hot tub, and the main pools are SO CROWDED. I remember thinking on our first Dawn cruise that I would never have been able to get wet on the ship without our own hot tub -- the main pool was chock-full of people, essentially bobbing in place because you couldn't do anything else, and the water was hot from so many bodies crammed in. Now in the Haven I admit the pools are very snail, but I'm not trying to swim laps -- just float around a bit. Swimming is something I usually only get to do on vacation and I would be disappointed not to do it.

HOWEVER ... we veered off NCL for the first time in 6 years this spring with a Disney Fantasy cruise, in a balcony (non-suite) cabin. Suites were way too expensive on DCL and it turns out we didn't miss the suite at all on another cruise line. Now this could be because Disney is such a great line or it could be because we weren't sitting on a Haven ship knowing what we were missing in the Haven!! So for us going off NCL got us back to a balcony and it was still a wonderful experience. That said, we are back on NCL next year in a suite on POA for our 25th anniversary. Some things require a little splurge. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps an unusual view point but I always enjoyed the 'classless society of cruising' ie everyone was pretty much in the same boat (no pun intended) and all venues were open to all and the cruise line and crews worked to provide an enjoyable experience for all. JMHO

I understand and respect your opinion but at the same time, there will always be some who get "more" than others and will be asked to pay more as a result. Even something as simple as "interior vs balcony" can create a miniature "class system". Specialty restaurants vs complimentary is another example.

As long as non-suite guests aren't disrespected, the treatment of suite guests shouldn't be an issue.

We found that the value is not there except for getting on the ship first and the size of the cabin. Everything else to us was pretty much useless. Everyone was fantastic toward us but none of the services they offer as "perks" we used. I dont want the snacks, hate the coffee they use in the Lavazza machine, never had anyone make reservations for us etc. So not much value. We went back to the mini-suites.

That is not to say we would not go in a suite again but I would never spend full price for it unless it was cheaper than a regular cabin.

Our first cruise on NCL was for our 25th anniversary, back when we could call for upgrades and I was able to get the owners suite for a little more than our original Balcony. We were hooked. We have now had 8 suites and are booked for the Deluxe owner suite on the Escape next year. We mostly love the room space, the haven courtyard and Sun Decks, the breakfast with the Steak and Eggs and now the Haven Restaurant for dinner. We have gotten the 2 bedroom suites on many occasions so we could bring family with, who would normally never cruise. We are getting close to retirement and our future plans are for 1 big cruise a year in a suite and 2 or 3 in balconies which would include NCL and non-NCL. I will have to let you know how the non-suite cruises are, but I know I will miss the size of the suites the most.

So our first suite experience (and our first NCL experience) was on the Dawn to Bermuda 6 years ago. There is no Haven on the Dawn but my parents took the family on a "once-in-lifetime" trip in the Garden Villa (which became a "twice-in-a-lifetime" experience when we repeated it 2 years later). My only two trips on Dawn have been in that magnificent villa' date=' and we have subsequently sailed in the Haven on Epic, Breakaway, and Escape. I don't get all jazzed about concierge/butler, or even breakfast at Cagney's (although the Haven is a nice peaceful breakfast), but I do love the extra cabin space, and the number one reason I can't picture sailing NCL without being in a suite or Haven is because I love to relax in the pool or hot tub, and the main pools are SO CROWDED. I remember thinking on our first Dawn cruise that I would never have been able to get wet on the ship without our own hot tub -- the main pool was chock-full of people, essentially bobbing in place because you couldn't do anything else, and the water was hot from so many bodies crammed in. Now in the Haven I admit the pools are very snail, but I'm not trying to swim laps -- just float around a bit. Swimming is something I usually only get to do on vacation and I would be disappointed not to do it.

HOWEVER ... we veered off NCL for the first time in 6 years this spring with a Disney Fantasy cruise, in a balcony (non-suite) cabin. Suites were way too expensive on DCL and it turns out we didn't miss the suite at all on another cruise line. Now this could be because Disney is such a great line or it could be because we weren't sitting on a Haven ship knowing what we were missing in the Haven!! So for us going off NCL got us back to a balcony and it was still a wonderful experience. That said, we are back on NCL next year in a suite on POA for our 25th anniversary. Some things require a little splurge. ;-)

I understand how you feel about the pools. Since we have a pool at home I tend to not need the pool experience all that much. However, I do enjoy the hot tubs and they can get crowded as well. That said, one can enjoy a less crowded pool and hot tub in the "spa". A weekly pass is far cheaper than the cost of the Haven, which for us is what we'd go for. But if there are other amenities that you totally enjoy then the Haven is your cabin of choice.

Thank all of you for the civil posts; this thread is now what I had hoped it would become. Hearing other's experiences and thoughts, plans and desires vs. reality is informational and something we can all learn through. (Yes, I know, ending a sentence in a preposition. But I don't think I should post what I once heard as a joke about this................!)

Just wish suites were more within our reach; they were nice while they lasted. But I, too, wish to cruise more rather than in a suite less often.

I will let you know in about two weeks. We have a suite booked for our anniversary on the Sky. We have cruised with NCL before (NOT in a suite) on the Sky and know she is a small ship and the shorter cruises are their own special brand/type of cruise. But it is the only one we could fit in our schedule (we actually had to reschedule this cruise and NCL was amazing).

We have also cruised 5x with Disney, 1x with Princes (Alaska) and 1x (or 2?) with Carnival. So we have something to compare it to....

I must confess I am excited about the suite (never had one before) and when I told my husband about the services (like dining in etc) he was pretty impressed.

That being said I am not sure if I would have booked a suite if it wasn't our 20th anniversary - mostly because of cost. But I will let you know if it lives up to our expectations and if we would do it again - say for 25? :')

SaveSave

We found that the value is not there except for getting on the ship first and the size of the cabin. Everything else to us was pretty much useless. Everyone was fantastic toward us but none of the services they offer as "perks" we used. I dont want the snacks, hate the coffee they use in the Lavazza machine, never had anyone make reservations for us etc. So not much value. We went back to the mini-suites.

That is not to say we would not go in a suite again but I would never spend full price for it unless it was cheaper than a regular cabin.

Just a FYI. Suite coffee is now Nespresso. Very easy. Delicious!

We've been in a balcony many times, but only on our most recent Jewel cruise were we in a suite. We got a 2 bedroom family suite because we have a toddler who sleeps much better if she can go to bed a couple of hours before we do, and that would never happen in a regular balcony cabin. I will admit, the suite perks were pretty nice (in-room dining, coffee machine, afternoon snacks, VIP embark/disembark, private breakfast and lunch), but if we go another cruise just the 2 of us, it will be another balcony for sure. We might get another suite if my daughter is with us, to have the extra space, but probably only while she's small.

Since many on this thread are past suite guests ....if you have the owners suite double balcony and you have the suite perk of unlimited drinks, yet you still get 3 bottles of booze, can you just pack them for home? Unopened of course!

Since many on this thread are past suite guests ....if you have the owners suite double balcony and you have the suite perk of unlimited drinks, yet you still get 3 bottles of booze, can you just pack them for home? Unopened of course!

We have a few bottles of wine and champagne from NCL in the cabinet. :D

I did! lol.

We went through about half of both the vodka and rum, but never opened the bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey. Last morning, figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Stuffed it into the bag with all of our Nassau purchases, and showed it to customs. No issues whatsoever. Finally finished it up a couple of weeks ago. (Cruise was this past March.)

I travel with my mother, sister, and my adult daughter. We have stayed in the Haven several times. Most recently a B2B last October on the GA and next we'll be in the DOS on the Escape in August. We have a comfort zone, but the sailings we are considering for 2019 are waaay out of our sweet spot [emoji17]. Mind you, we are looking at Bliss.

My mother and I do most of the planning and we are considering trying out a Spa Mini Suite instead of Haven. I know...the HORROR lol. We're platinum so those perks will help us adjust to the culture shock [emoji15]. We know Bliss will be an amazing experience and personally I want to see what her Haven is like. I've seen the artist renditions and its looks beyond beautiful and luxurious!! Maybe we'll do a more reasonably priced suite on Escape again and wait a few more years for Bliss. Just thinking out loud. I subbed to this thread when it first began and I need to catch up lol. Looking forward to reading about others experiences.

Absolutely. We did. With the UBP, champagne, wine received as a gift and only 2 if us in the suite over 21 we boxed it up and packed it in our checked luggage.

Great news! We are booked for double balcony owners suite on the dawn over Christmas and being able to bring a few bottles home would be great!! Thank you!!

Haven't read through the whole thread but I"m in the 'Suite not worth it' camp--and it wasn't even the price I objected to. We were in a forward penthouse on the Jewel and yes breakfast in Cagney's was fun and yes the cabin was huge and beautiful BUT it was too beautiful (if that can be believed)--as soon as we were back on the ship from a port it was like we were sucked back into it, only to emerge for meals and shows, such that after the cruise was over we felt like we never experienced the ship! Honestly I like to be part of the masses and not part of the privileged. IMO

Current price for 11 days in the Haven on Jewel from Hong Kong to Tokyo is listed as $16,999. How can two people think the Haven is worth $34,000 for 11 days? Boggles the mind.

It's all relative, I guess! For many, the 5- 10k that most of us have paid, boggles the mind! Clearly, they are targeting a more affluent crowd.

The last time we paid 34k all at once, was for a semester of college tuition for one of our kids (which I also thought was excessive)!

Edited by roddy good boy

Current price for 11 days in the Haven on Jewel from Hong Kong to Tokyo is listed as $16,999. How can two people think the Haven is worth $34,000 for 11 days? Boggles the mind.

This really is a lot. We are booked on the SYD to Hong Kong part of this cruise and we paid less for the 30 days.

This really is over the top, IMHO.

As more begin to cancel their reservations ,( this is next February/March) , it will be interesting to see how much the prices are raised on the new availability . This cruise sold out almost immediately when posted.

Hmm....$16,999 sounds more like the price for 2 people, not one. Are you sure you read it right?

Definitely miss the perks, but the slightly larger rooms aren't that big of a deal. One thing I like about Carnival is the Faster to the Fun program which gives you priority embark/disembark/customer service/tenders room ready when you board. For an extra $70, you get the "priority" benefits of a suite without having to pay for a suite. We are giving Haven a try for the first time next year, maybe we won't be able to live without it, we'll see!!!