Stockholm 2016 information and advise

I have mentioned it before and I want to mention it again.

During 2016-2021 there will be large construction works going on around Slussen.

During those years, cars/HoHo buses/ship shuttles and etc will not be able to drive directly from Stadsgårdsleden across Slussen to Gamla Stan.

Katarinavägen will also be closed for ALL traffic (not sure if you still can walk along it).

City buses will be affected and will use slightly different routed across Södermalm but the Londonviadukten stop will be stopped at as usual.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.322203,18.0721942/59.3198728,18.0701207/59.3197766,18.0692968/59.3140825,18.0728589/59.3151009,18.095514/59.314691,18.0968486/@59.3142026,18.0955139,16.5z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

These are the current routes that no longer will be used the next couple of years. The changes will take place on Friday.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.3166753,18.0942523/59.3204477,18.0733651/59.3224043,18.0746965/@59.3237294,18.0689544,1726m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0/59.3192424,18.0730387/59.3222452,18.074531/@59.3190336,18.0768195,1270m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

This will likely cause allot of queues and delays for all types of traffic that passes Slussen, so beware and plan accordingly.

However public buses will be given priority over all other types of traffic.

All buses that have a stop at the Slussen terminal will also have new locations for their stop:

http://sl.se/sv/info/resa/forandringar/bussomlaggning-slussen//Date

Buses 53, 76, 93 and 96 will no longer stop at Glasbruksgatan and Tjärhovsplan.

The closest suitable replacement stop for those is Nytorgsgatan:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nytorgsgatan/@59.3159182,18.0827866,16.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x465f77f9991f2257:0xc7f3466f4c53ea23!8m2!3d59.3152003!4d18.0812497

http://bygg.stockholm.se/alla-projekt/slussen/*****-projektet/Trafiken-under-byggtiden/

We just came back and used a small private local tour company (Story Tours)who came to pick us up at the cruise port terminal in Nynashamn. Excellent company to work with an very reasonably priced. Very personalized for our small group of 16.

Thank you for all of this information! It is all so helpful.

We are disembarking in Stockholm on July 29th and our ship docks at Värtahamnen.

We would like to get from there to our hotel, the Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, by public transportation. Is this possible? What is the best route to take?

Thank you!

Thank you for all of this information! It is all so helpful.

We are disembarking in Stockholm on July 29th and our ship docks at Värtahamnen.

We would like to get from there to our hotel, the Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, by public transportation. Is this possible? What is the best route to take?

Thank you!

Värthamnen have been undergoing a large re-construction so it is a bit of a walk from the terminal to the bus stop for the public buses.

Read more about it here: http://www.portsofstockholm.com/stockholm/port-areas/vartahamnen/ferry-terminal/

However SL travelplanner suggests taking bus #76 north to Ropsten and from there travel with subway red line #13 to T-centralen/Centralstation.

The other option is to travel with bus #76 (south bound towards Norra Hammarbyhamnen) to Kungsträdgården/Karl XII:s torg and change to subway, blue line #11 towards Akalla, to T-centralen/Centralstation.

The Hotel is located next to Centralstation.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great info on this thread. We are arriving on the NCL Star at S176 on Saturday, Sept 3rd. Could you help with the following questions?

- The map shows there is a Stockholm visitor center right at S176. Is this the recommended place to get the 24hr travel card or are there any other locations at S176? Also, will the visitor center be open at 8am on a Saturday?

- From the latest transit map, can you confirm that bus 53, 71, 93 are all good options between S176 and Slussen to catch the local ferry to Vasa?

- Because we arrive in Sept, Vasa doesn't open until 10am, while our ship arrives at 8am. We were thinking of just taking the scenic route up the hill towards Slussen before catching the ferry to Vasa. Do you have any other suggestions for early morning activities while waiting for the Vasa to open?

Thanks very much

Thanks for the great info on this thread. We are arriving on the NCL Star at S176 on Saturday, Sept 3rd. Could you help with the following questions?

- The map shows there is a Stockholm visitor center right at S176. Is this the recommended place to get the 24hr travel card or are there any other locations at S176? Also, will the visitor center be open at 8am on a Saturday?

- From the latest transit map, can you confirm that bus 53, 71, 93 are all good options between S176 and Slussen to catch the local ferry to Vasa?

- Because we arrive in Sept, Vasa doesn't open until 10am, while our ship arrives at 8am. We were thinking of just taking the scenic route up the hill towards Slussen before catching the ferry to Vasa. Do you have any other suggestions for early morning activities while waiting for the Vasa to open?

Thanks very much

There is a Stockholm tourist centre at S167 which is the best place to buy bus tickets,24h and 72h travel cards.

It does not have fixed opening hours but is listed to be open during "Ports of call" so I assume that it will be open when there is a cruise ship berthing at S167.

There should also be possible to buy tickets/travel cards at the Viking Line terminal at Stadsgården and at Spårvägsmuseet.

Directions to the latter:

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/59.315547,18.1040822/Tegelviksgatan+22,+116+41+Stockholm/@59.3121468,18.0945764,16z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f780490ff50d5:0xa008f1f9df40eae5!2m2!1d18.0989538!2d59.3121414!3e2

Any bus that stops at Londonviakdukten also stops at Slussen terminal.

As for the route up along Katarinaberget, I don't know if Katarinavägen is accessible for pedestrians since the road have been closed due to construction work at and around Slussen.

"other suggestions for early morning activities while waiting for the Vasa to open?"

Explore the Vasa's surroundings, like Galärvarvet and Galärvarvskyrkogården, although the indoor activities at Galärvarvet doesn't open until noon.

http://www.sjohistoriska.se/Besok/Besok-oss/Galarvarvet/

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gal%C3%A4rvarvskyrkog%C3%A5rden

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g189852-d10332955-Reviews-Galarvarvskyrkogarden-Stockholm.html

Thank you for providing information regarding visiting Stockholm!

Unfortunately my DH is not inclined to do the typical touristy things. He is interested in visiting either Sigtuna or Mariefred. Are either one of these easy to get to with one day in port? We are docking at Nynashamn on August 8 (Regal Princess). We are suppose to be in port from 7 am. to 7 pm.

I read on another thread that there was some work being done on the rail-lines from Nynashamn to Stockholm, so I don't know how/if that would have any effect in getting around.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Thank you for providing information regarding visiting Stockholm!

Unfortunately my DH is not inclined to do the typical touristy things. He is interested in visiting either Sigtuna or Mariefred. Are either one of these easy to get to with one day in port? We are docking at Nynashamn on August 8 (Regal Princess). We are suppose to be in port from 7 am. to 7 pm.

I read on another thread that there was some work being done on the rail-lines from Nynashamn to Stockholm, so I don't know how/if that would have any effect in getting around.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Luckily for you the rail works are expected to be completed by August 8th.

As for the other questions. IMO Mariefred has more to offer then Sigtuna, Mariefred has the Royal Gripsholm Castle, a small "Old town" around the main square and also the old vintage narrow gauge railroad.

However the narrow gauge railroad does't seem to run on Monday August 8th.

I was about to suggest that you could travel with the old steamship Mariefred to Mariefred but unfortunately for you it doesn't run on Mondays.

To get to Mariefred you have to go by train and bus.

http://reseplanerare.resrobot.se/bin/help.exe/en?L=vs_resrobot&tpl=webapp#!AA=1@O=Stockholm%20Centralstation@X=18058151@Y=59330136@U=80@L=740000001@!BA=1@O=Mariefred%20Busstation%20(Str%C3%A4ngn%C3%A4s%20kn)@X=17230380@Y=59263867@U=80@L=740000276@B=1@V=74.9,@p=1468987655@!C20160808!QC-0!Sschedule!T084500

Train does not need reservation but it would be preferable to buy tickets in advance from sj.se

Bus should accept credit card (sörmlandstrafiken) (pin is usually NOT needed)

Return options:

http://reseplanerare.resrobot.se/bin/help.exe/en?L=vs_resrobot&tpl=webapp#!AA=1@O=Mariefred%20Busstation%20(Str%C3%A4ngn%C3%A4s%20kn)@X=17230380@Y=59263867@U=80@L=740000276@B=1@V=74.9,@p=1468987655@!BA=1@O=Nyn%C3%A4shamn%20station@X=17951332@Y=58901135@U=80@L=740000727@B=1@V=74.9,@p=1468987655@!C20160808!Sschedule!T144500

The same here, trains or buses does not need reservation, buses between Mariefred-Läggesta and Läggesta-Södertälje likely accepts card (Sörmlandstrafiken)

but bus between Södertälje-Nynäshamn (SL) doesn't.

http://www.sormlandstrafiken.se/sv/english/

http://sl.se/en/

http://sl.se/en/fares--tickets/

Sigtuna is reached by commuter train.

Edited by Desdichado62

Thank you for your help in figuring things out.

Good to hear that the work on the rail line is suppose to be completed by the time we arrive.

Just to clarify, we would have to take the train into Stockholm Central Station and then out to Mariefred - correct? Would a 24 hour Travelcard cover both trains and the bus?

Unfortunately, I gave you the wrong date. The Regal arrives on Sat, Aug 6.

But, you gave me the links so I'll just change the dates. :)

Edited by Katms

Good to hear that the work on the rail line is suppose to be completed by the time we arrive.

Just to clarify, we would have to take the train into Stockholm Central Station and then out to Mariefred - correct? Would a 24 hour Travelcard cover both trains and the bus?

In that case, I would recommend travelling with S/S Mariefred from Stockholm to Mariefred and by train back to Stockholm.

You are also correct that you need to travel with the commuter train into Stockholm first.

Mariefred departs from city hall bridge quay, which is a short walk from the central station.

Info about the ship; http://www.mariefred.info/

From Centralplan to City Hall bridge quay.

5 min (350 m) https://goo.gl/maps/hzxngMNf2w12

Vintage train info; http://www.oslj.nu/

Edited by Desdichado62

Just so you know, the railway work are not completed Aug. 6, the work are not done until the Aug 8!

Thank you for this information!

We dock in Stockholm tomorrow on Oceania Insignia.

Is it possible to take luggage onto the subway? We will be traveling from Värtahamnen to our hotel near Centralstation. We will each have a large suitcase and a small carry-on. We prefer to travel by public transportation if possible.

Also, we have three days in Stockholm and have decided to get the Stockholm Pass. The pass includes the HOHO boat, which seems like it will be useful. We are big walkers and do not mind walking a couple of miles to get places. We plan on using the Arlanda Express train to get to the airport. Will we also need an SL pass to get around, or will the HOHO boat get us to most places we would want to visit?

I think you will have very limited use of the HoHo as a transport. A SL-pass might come in handy. *

As for luggage on the subway, of course it is possible. It's just a few stops anyway.

Some stations are very deep down but there are escalators and elevators.

I think you sshould be able to buy them at the terminal at Värtahamne.

Edited by Desdichado62

We were thinking of just taking the scenic route up the hill towards Slussen before catching the ferry to Vasa.

Thanks very much

I have asked and Katarinavägen is closed for road traffic between Slussen and Sjöfartshotellet but is completely accessible for pedestrians.

Thanks for all the detailed information. I have read until my head is spinning.

We will be arriving at Frihamnen on the Pullmantur Monarch on Sept. 7 at 9:30, departing Sept. 8 at 17:00. I have an overall plan, and would appreciate any input or more details on transportation, order of what we're doing, etc.

We would like to see the changing of the guard on our first day, which I have read is at 11:45 departing from the Army Museum. We also considered trying to do the Free Stockholm Old Town Tour at 10:00am, but weren't sure if that would include the changing of the guard, or even if it will be running in Sept. They say that their calendar is updated the last week of each month, so I guess I will have to wait to find that out for sure.

Day 1 I thought that we would

-enjoy Gamla Stan

-possibly do the Rick Steve's self-guided walking tour (don't know if we need both walking tours either)

-visit any markets in the area? We enjoy visiting some more "real life" areas and relax, spending some time people watching

- possibly hike around Skinnarviksberget enjoying the view (how do I get there?)

-visit the Ice Bar (do we need to prebook in the middle of the week at the beginning of Sept.?)

Day 2 we thought we would head to Djarsgarden, the Vasa Museum, Skansen, and that area.

Does this sound like a good plan? We were planning on buying the public transit pass unless someone thinks that there is a better way. Are any of the ferries included in the public transit pass?

Thanks in advance for your information, thoughts, and suggestions!

Thanks for all the detailed information. I have read until my head is spinning.

We will be arriving at Frihamnen on the Pullmantur Monarch on Sept. 7 at 9:30, departing Sept. 8 at 17:00. I have an overall plan, and would appreciate any input or more details on transportation, order of what we're doing, etc.

We would like to see the changing of the guard on our first day, which I have read is at 11:45 departing from the Army Museum. We also considered trying to do the Free Stockholm Old Town Tour at 10:00am, but weren't sure if that would include the changing of the guard, or even if it will be running in Sept. They say that their calendar is updated the last week of each month, so I guess I will have to wait to find that out for sure.

Day 1 I thought that we would

-enjoy Gamla Stan

-possibly do the Rick Steve's self-guided walking tour (don't know if we need both walking tours either)

-visit any markets in the area? We enjoy visiting some more "real life" areas and relax, spending some time people watching

- possibly hike around Skinnarviksberget enjoying the view (how do I get there?)

-visit the Ice Bar (do we need to prebook in the middle of the week at the beginning of Sept.?)

Day 2 we thought we would head to Djarsgarden, the Vasa Museum, Skansen, and that area.

Does this sound like a good plan? We were planning on buying the public transit pass unless someone thinks that there is a better way. Are any of the ferries included in the public transit pass?

Thanks in advance for your information, thoughts, and suggestions!

I agree with your plan and buying a public transport pass is a good idea.

The ferries that are included are Djurgårdsfärjan, Sjövägen and the new Riddarfjärden line.

If you decide to go to Skinnarviksberget, then remember to bring some nice picnic food.

Just remember that alcohol is not allowed in public parks and etc.

Edited by Desdichado62

This is an one month old article about the traffic situation in Stockholm and it specifically mention the problems the guide buses for cruise pax have with the traffic in Stockholm.

Lots of construction work, lots of traffic, not enough parking spaces for tourist buses.

http://www.dn.se/sthlm/busschaufforer-varnar-for-okat-trafikkaos-i-stockholm/

So my advice would be to try to avoid buses as much as possible and if going by bus, use public transport buses (SL).

We are going to be docking in Nynashamm on Aug 28th. We will be in port @ 7am till & 7pm. What is the best way to get into Stockholm from there? Train, bus or combination of the two? Don't want to use the ships transportation as that seems quite expensive from what I'm reading.

If we could get there by 9-10 am, is seeing the Vasa museum and Gamla Stan doable and getting back to the ship on time? The 28th is a Sunday do they have limited schedules on the weekends?

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of these ???????

We are going to be docking in Nynashamm on Aug 28th. We will be in port @ 7am till & 7pm. What is the best way to get into Stockholm from there? Train, bus or combination of the two? Don't want to use the ships transportation as that seems quite expensive from what I'm reading.

If we could get there by 9-10 am, is seeing the Vasa museum and Gamla Stan doable and getting back to the ship on time? The 28th is a Sunday do they have limited schedules on the weekends?

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of these ???????

Was there in July. I know several people from the ship that took the ship's shuttle into Stockholm. We used a tour company that was very reasonable with pick up and return to Nynashamn. Company is StoryTours and they have a web page and a facebook page as well. Fabulous time, saw lots of sights including the Vasa, Palace, Gamla Stan, and a canal cruise with plenty of time to eat lunch and shop. They will customize a tour for you as well if you need. Due to construction on the train lines traffic is a little tough if doing it on your own. I heard someone mention a boat ferry from the port to Stockholm but I was not able to find information about it when I was looking. YOu will have a fabulous time in Stockholm. Great City!!!!!

The work on the railway between Nynäshamn and Stockholm have been completed and no more stoppages are expected during the cruise season.

See this link for transport

http://sl.se/sharelink/?q=%2FTravel%2FSearchTravelByDestinationPosition%2FNyn%C3%A4shamns%20station%20(Nyn%C3%A4shamn)%2FGal%C3%A4rvarvsv%C3%A4gen%2014%2C%20Stockholm%2F59.328374%2F18.091717%2F9720%2F2016-08-28%252007_49%2Fdepart%2Fsv%2Fnull%2Fnull%2F2%2C8%2C1%2C4%2C96%2C%2Fnull%2Fnull%2Fnull%2Fnull%2Fnull%2Ffalse%2Fnull%2F0%2F1%2Fnull%2Ffalse

If it doesn't work, use http://www.sl.se travelplanner search from Nynäshamn station to Galärvarvsvägen 14 Stockholm.

First suitable train leaves at 07.49, next departure is one hour later. Journey takes about one hour and 40 min. from Nynäshamn station to Vasa.

For return trip I would recommend subway red line #13 from Gamla Stan subway station via central station to Nynäshamn station. I would recommend leaving around 15.30 from Gamla stan Subway to make sure you make it onto the 15.55 train to Nynäshamn.

If you tell the person in the ticket booth at the subway (or if you buy from a machine) that you intend

to travel to Nynäshamn you can use the same ticket for the entire journey.

http://sl.se/sharelink/?q=%2FTravel%2FSearchTravelById%2FGamla%20stan%20(Stockholm)%2FNyn%C3%A4shamns%20station%20(Nyn%C3%A4shamn)%2F9193%2F9720%2F2016-08-28%252015_54%2Fdepart%2Fsv%2Fnull%2Fnull%2F2%2C1%2C4%2C%2Fnull%2Fnull%2Fnull%2Fnull%2Fnull%2Ffalse%2Fnull%2F1%2F1%2Fnull%2Ffalse

USA vice president Joe Bidén will visit Stockholm on Wednesday and Thursday next week which means that public transport might use different routes.

It also means that some other areas and roads might be closed to the general public.

The Royal Palace is expected to be open as usual.