Have you ever felt ripped off?

silver surfer 2010

We have.

We bought goods in Cozumel earlier this year and were taken by the shop to the office where we had to register for the 'Duty Free' deal to get our duty back, which were told, would be about 45 days.

It is now double that and we still haven't had any refund.

Not only that, but having looked at the paperwork I find that the office are charging a commission of approximately 50% so, what we thought was a good deal in the shop, isn't half as good as it seemed at the time.

I write this just to warn others that these duty feel deals may not be as good as they appear on the surface - beware.

At the end of the day we were quite happy with the deal and the refund, however small, will be just the icing on the cake, when it comes

Edited by silver surfer 2010

We have.

We bought goods in Cozumel earlier this year and were taken by the shop to the office where we had to register for the 'Duty Free' deal to get our duty back, which were told, would be about 45 days.

Not only that, but having looked at the paperwork I find that the office are charging a commission of approximately 50% so, what we thought was a good deal in the shop, isn't half as good as it seemed at the time.

I write this just to warn others that these duty feel deals may not be as good as they appear on the surface - beware.

At the end of the day we were quite happy with the deal and the refund, however small, will be just the icing on the cake, when it comes

Yes we were ripped off once. Cant remember where, but there were lots of market stalls set up near the ship. One of them was really lovely smellies.

I decided to purchase on of the soaps. The lady did not cut a slice of the soap on display, instead I was handed something wrapped up. It was soap, but mixed in with it was a piece of green scouring cloth, which I only discovered at home when I started using it.

Lesson learned and I never buy any smellies from anywhere now abroad, due to that persons underhandness

Yes we were ripped off once. Cant remember where, but there were lots of market stalls set up near the ship. One of them was really lovely smellies.

I decided to purchase on of the soaps. The lady did not cut a slice of the soap on display, instead I was handed something wrapped up. It was soap, but mixed in with it was a piece of green scouring cloth, which I only discovered at home when I started using it.

Lesson learned and I never buy any smellies from anywhere now abroad, due to that persons underhandness

Sadly, We all have been ripped off in some way or another.

Toursist traps and all that.

But it is still not a nice feeling when it happens.

We were ripped off last year in Turkey, when we bought some so-called Turkish Delight from one of the market stalls around the port at Kusadasi. Most of the stalls were selling the same product, so we bought several boxes, only to find that the box was half-empty and the stuff that was actually in the box was not proper Turkish Delight but some type of jelly cubes. It was disgusting and we had to throw it all away. We met some other people on our cruise who had gone into town and bought some of the real stuff - gooey and scented with roses - just the way I like it. This was my only ever visit to Turkey and I doubt that I would bother going there again.

We have.

This happens in the UK. I have a Chinese friend who usually has friends and family to visit during the summer holidays (she is a teacher). Her family members buy hundreds (if not thousands) of pounds worth of goods and reclaim the VAT on exit from the UK. You can either claim it through the shop where you bought the goods (most are unwilling to do this because of the admin it represents for them and it takes a lot longer for the purchaser to get the refund), or it can be done at the airport if you present the receipts validated by the vendor. However you can't deal with HMRC direct, you have to use an approved agency which charges a massive commission. My friend's family got just a few pounds back on the hundreds they had spent.

Yes, they still ended up with the goods they wanted. Would they have been cheaper in China - probably not, because the items they were purchasing would have been expensive imports in China. Was it made clear that they would lose most of the refund in commission - certainly not. It's not illegal, but it leaves an unpleasant taste.

A number of years ago we went to Lanzarote where we bought some pyjamas for our daughters. This was before chip and pin so I had to sign the paper bill. This was for 32 euro's.

On our return I checked the bank statement and was billed for 432 euro's. A trip to the bank quickly followed.

They asked for my copy of the bill which showed 32 euro's and said they would investigate.

After a while it transpired that the merchant had inserted the number 4 in front of the actual amount. The bank would not tell me the consequences for the merchant.

On my next visit to Lanzarote they were still trading, I did resist the temptation to take a pair of scissors to his stock but I was tempted. :)

We have.

Hello David and Esther,

In Lisbon twelve years ago whilst on a cruise on Aurora our friend purchased a camera from a street vendor and gave it to my husband as a birthday gift. On arriving back at the ship my husband opened the box to inspect his camera. Low and behold the camera had turned into a remote control for a TV and a plastic empty frame to hold the non existent camera in. We did have a great laugh about it although it was an expensive laugh for our friend but our friend said it was worth every penny just to see us all have a laugh. We still talk about it to this day and yes we still have a laugh.

Our same friend when he visited Hong Kong on the Oriana visited a tailor to have a jacket and shirts made, as the ship was only in dock for the day the jacket and shirts had to be sent to the ship later in the day before the ship departed Hong Kong which meant our friend had to pay upfront . The jacket and shirts did arrive at the ship on time and our friend was very pleased with his purchase. Until he checked the bill and receipt only to find out that the tailor had added an extra 0 onto the £ and he had been charged £1000 instead of £100. He didn’t find that so funny and no he’s not laughing about that rip off.

Edited by HELEN HENRY

Hi Pat

I think it all boils down to 'you pays your money and you takes your chance'

Any refund we will get will be a bonus.

I think it will come eventually but at least half of what we expected.

What!- nothing booked for 2016?

We are on the Oriana X605 USA & Caribbean in April and then Iceland and Baltic B2B on Arcadia in Augiust

Edited by silver surfer 2010

Someone once said that when a Brit goes out of his country he leaves his brains behind.

Would you buy a camera off a guy in the street in your home town or city? Of course not.

A fool and his money, indeed.

David.

Biggest rip off we have had was from a British Company, P&O !

Several years ago we booked a suite for a very special occasion, at the cost of several thousand pounds. After we had paid, we received a letter saying due to lack of sales that the price was being reduced by £1000, and they would be giving a credit for a future cruise to be taken with them, the credit £500!

We sailed on the cruise, but never took up their generous offer, and moved to Celebrity!

A number of years ago we went to Lanzarote where we bought some pyjamas for our daughters. This was before chip and pin so I had to sign the paper bill. This was for 32 euro's.

On our return I checked the bank statement and was billed for 432 euro's. A trip to the bank quickly followed.

They asked for my copy of the bill which showed 32 euro's and said they would investigate.

After a while it transpired that the merchant had inserted the number 4 in front of the actual amount. The bank would not tell me the consequences for the merchant.

On my next visit to Lanzarote they were still trading, I did resist the temptation to take a pair of scissors to his stock but I was tempted. :)

This must have been a very long time ago as we have had chip and pin now for years. Pity you didn't check your receipt before leaving the shop! ;)There have been occasional incidences of unscrupulous traders on the island but these usually involved electrical appliances and cameras. Many years ago the Canary Islands were considered duty free but since the introduction of a local tax about 25 years ago, which started at 2% but has slowly risen to the current 7%, the prices have gone up and up and really have nothing to do with tax. Nowadays there are few bargains to be had in the Canaries, except maybe cigarettes and tobacco and spirits. Tourists expecting bargains in electronics etc. should check prices with their local Curry's or PC World before they come as often you can buy things in the UK cheaper than here. And they would also have a guarantee! Luckily we don't have too bad a reputation as far as our local traders go and so your bad experience isn't something that occurs very often. I'm sorry that it happened to you!

Several years ago we booked a suite for a very special occasion, at the cost of several thousand pounds. After we had paid, we received a letter saying due to lack of sales that the price was being reduced by £1000, and they would be giving a credit for a future cruise to be taken with them, the credit £500!

We sailed on the cruise, but never took up their generous offer, and moved to Celebrity!

I don't see how that is a rip off. You paid a price you were happy with and P&O didn't need to give you anything.

we went on a tour to see :confused:the arctic foxes while on a cruise on board Adonia last month. We were treated ,by the tour guide, on how well off she was, how many houses she owned, how well her pop group is doing and which universities her sons are going to. When we arrived at the fox sanctuary there was only one fox cub on show and it was six weeks old. As we had booked the tour ten weeks previously if it hadn't been for the hunters shooting the fox cub parents there would not have been anything to see at the sanctuary.

we went on a tour to see :confused:the arctic foxes while on a cruise on board Adonia last month. We were treated ,by the tour guide, on how well off she was, how many houses she owned, how well her pop group is doing and which universities her sons are going to. When we arrived at the fox sanctuary there was only one fox cub on show and it was six weeks old. As we had booked the tour ten weeks previously if it hadn't been for the hunters shooting the fox cub parents there would not have been anything to see at the sanctuary.

Did you complain to the tour office on board?? I have had tour costs refunded before now for poor guides, inedible food etc.

This must have been a very long time ago as we have had chip and pin now for years. Pity you didn't check your receipt before leaving the shop! ;)There have been occasional incidences of unscrupulous traders on the island but these usually involved electrical appliances and cameras. Many years ago the Canary Islands were considered duty free but since the introduction of a local tax about 25 years ago, which started at 2% but has slowly risen to the current 7%, the prices have gone up and up and really have nothing to do with tax. Nowadays there are few bargains to be had in the Canaries, except maybe cigarettes and tobacco and spirits. Tourists expecting bargains in electronics etc. should check prices with their local Curry's or PC World before they come as often you can buy things in the UK cheaper than here. And they would also have a guarantee! Luckily we don't have too bad a reputation as far as our local traders go and so your bad experience isn't something that occurs very often. I'm sorry that it happened to you!

Hi Lanzalady.

My copy of the receipt was for the correct amount of 32 euro's.

The retailer inserted an additional digit in his copy after I had left the premises, probably in the hope that I would not have kept my copy of the receipt.

Hi Lanzalady.

My copy of the receipt was for the correct amount of 32 euro's.

The retailer inserted an additional digit in his copy after I had left the premises, probably in the hope that I would not have kept my copy of the receipt.

I never pay for anything abroad with a credit card whichever country I have been too if I cannot afford it in cash then I dont buy it. Seen some dodgy practices in the past in Tenerife with regards to credit cards i.e. without card owner knowing putting sellotape over card number to get a tracing of card number obviously for illegal use later.

I never pay for anything abroad with a credit card whichever country I have been too if I cannot afford it in cash then I dont buy it. Seen some dodgy practices in the past in Tenerife with regards to credit cards i.e. without card owner knowing putting sellotape over card number to get a tracing of card number obviously for illegal use later.

At least if you pay by Credit Card, you are covered by insurance if you get ripped off.

Bad practice to pay by cash or debit card - No protection.

The Visa debit card actually covers quite a lot of issues:

•Wherever you use Visa debit, you are fully protected. If, for example, you're unfortunate enough to book a holiday with an airline or travel agent that becomes insolvent, you'll generally get your money back. Similarly, if you order something that is not delivered, not as described, or arrives faulty or damaged, you’ll receive a full refund

From the Visa website

The Visa debit card actually covers quite a lot of issues:

•Wherever you use Visa debit, you are fully protected. If, for example, you're unfortunate enough to book a holiday with an airline or travel agent that becomes insolvent, you'll generally get your money back. Similarly, if you order something that is not delivered, not as described, or arrives faulty or damaged, you’ll receive a full refund

From the Visa website

A very good reason for not paying by cash

A very good reason for not paying by cash

Not to mention the risk of walking about with cash on you! I never carry much cash on me, especially when I travel abroad and I use my credit card for everything. This allows me to control my spending. I keep a spread-sheet of all my purchases (sad person that I am!) which I can compare with previous years expenditure. Credit cards are generally safe if you use them with caution but don't let them out of your sight and check what you are signing. Visa payments done electronically are the safest way of spending your money, in my opinion.

Years ago on a Nile river cruise. With Thompson. In the onboard jewellery shop, which they recommended as being safer!!!

Before chip and pin. The bill, which I signed for, came to £200. On my return to uk, my next bank statement showed the amount as £1200. Sadly, I had thrown away all my receipts by then. When the bank produced the original bill, the fraud was obvious (different pen) to me, but apparently not to either the bank or Thompsons.:mad:

I figured that the shop worker must have inserted the '1' on my bill and then removed £1000 in notes from the till when he cashed up at the end of the day. I had to console myself with the thought that he/his family must have needed the money badly and imagine it was a charity donation.

An expensive lesson learned.

Edited by starryuk

Another option is a cash card, where you load money onto the card, and use it like a debit card. My son goes abroad 4 or 5 time a year and always uses one.

I'm another very sad one that uses a spreadsheet for the household budget! until recently I had a lifetime of receipts stored in the attic, but scanned the important ones and dumped the rest! Still keep the last 6 years though, a habit from business where the taxman requires you to keep your records for that time.

A friend who has a place in Turkey warned me about the perfume sellers in the street, let you smell the real thing and then the one you buy is fake, not that I would have bought anyway but he said just say sorry I am allergic, have tried it and it works every time. We were approached in Naples by someone selling an I Pad, (probably stolen) just said we had one in our cabin. You just need to realise that if you can be conned you will be.

I must be the sad one. We seldome buy anything, nothing we really want. Unless it's something from a market or a new handbag. We carry cash in a belt bag which fits just inside your trousers. Pretty safe and we never carry too much.