Pearl, Alaska - What clothes to pack for August?

wintercolor

We are flying to Seattle from Dallas and will have four cabin luggage and a checked in baggage. We will be cruising for 7 nights and driving around in Vancouver for 4 days after the cruise. Need some advise regarding what all to pack for our cruise in Alaska. Do I need thick jackets in August? Or should I pack in layers? Can the boys wear shorts or should I pack long pants? Will all the ports/excursions be cold or can I pack dresses for myself? How about when we are in the ship? We have always cruised warm destinations and Alaska invokes the images of snow - not sure how cold it is going to be in August. Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4 checked bags? Time to thin it down.

Go with layers. Will not be winter type cold. You may well have some days that shorts will work. to get an idea of temp history - rely more on actual facts vs what others "remember". Weather.com is a good start. Or https://www.wunderground.com/ will help.

Weather inside the ship is pretty much the same anywhere in the world.

There is an ALASKA sub forum here with lots of stuff.

4 checked bags? Time to thin it down.

Go with layers. Will not be winter type cold. You may well have some days that shorts will work. to get an idea of temp history - rely more on actual facts vs what others "remember". Weather.com is a good start. Or https://www.wunderground.com/ will help.

Weather inside the ship is pretty much the same anywhere in the world.

There is an ALASKA sub forum here with lots of stuff.

Not 4 checked bags, 4 cabin luggage and 1 checked bag :)

extra socks and underwear....socks always got soggy for me and I had to change them out almost every time I got back from the port. I agree with the layers. Dresses might be pushing it while on port. Worst comes to worst you can buy a lot of shirts and sweaters. There are a TON of them on ea port. My mom loves hers that she got cuz it's pink...but I will not touch any of that kind of merchandise as I cannot wear them to work or school (business casual is in full force). So that kind of swag depends on the individual.

Also bring something to do while on the ship. imo, this is the least eventful cruise itinerary and the crowd tends to swing much older.

I will be on The Jewel in mid September. I am bringing jeans, several T-shirts, one pair of comfortable shoes, my sandals (to wear on the ship) and ONE dress to wear for the Officers Dinner. The only jacket I will take is my light-weight fleece one. And of course all the stuff gray haired lady needs to take. I am also taking battery operated tea lights for the bathroom and to use as a nightlight.

We are flying to Seattle from Dallas and will have four cabin luggage and a checked in baggage. We will be cruising for 7 nights and driving around in Vancouver for 4 days after the cruise. Need some advise regarding what all to pack for our cruise in Alaska. Do I need thick jackets in August? Or should I pack in layers? Can the boys wear shorts or should I pack long pants? Will all the ports/excursions be cold or can I pack dresses for myself? How about when we are in the ship? We have always cruised warm destinations and Alaska invokes the images of snow - not sure how cold it is going to be in August. Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There will not be snow on the ground, just up in the mountains. We have had cold winds, rain and sun . Sun and partly cloudy is bettter. :D

I always recommend some of each, short sleeve, long sleeve, sweater or fleece and down vest. Jeans and Lightweight long pants , socks and waterproofed shoes. No Sandlals for ports. Rain proof jacket and backpack for day trips in port. Think Northface type attire, so no dresses for ports or excursions. Hat, gloves and binoculars (especially if Glacier Bay is cold and windy. Thermal mug for hot drink. Magnets for cabin walls to post notes and dailies (walls are metal ) Lanyard for cabin card (have hole punched at front desk) no need to carry wallet or purse on board.

Hope this helps.

We just ran into a family finishing a cruise to Alaska at SeaTac. We were in the AS lounge and they were on their way home to Dallas. The mom said they were not prepared at all for the cold. They were all miserable and she said Seattle was the warmed place they had been all week. ( it was 60)

They were all wearing t shirts and shorts, poor kids. They were looking forward to 98 at home.

It is very smart of you to do your research first.

Edited by phissy

take some short and pants you might need them. When the ship is moving and you are outside or watching glaciers you will need layers and gloves, I even took a turtle neck along. Same with if you take any excursions on the water. I would take more than a fleece jacket

We sailed in early August last year. And it was still shorts and t-shirt weather in port.

Depends on the types of excursions you want to go on. We did a boat-hike-bus-hike-canoe-hike to a glacier. And a photo boat-hike photo excursion. For both, we wore long pants and had a light weight rain jacket and medium weight jacket.

Two of our 4 port days, the ceiling was low (no flight tours), but the temperature was o.k.

Obviously, on glacier watching day, you want to be bundled up. We had heavy jackets, gloves, hats (covering the ears) because we spent hours up on deck. Grabbed a bunch of deck blankets too.

We are doing Jewel to Alaska in August. I have done copious amounts of research, as we've only ever done Caribbean and tropical type cruises. We will leave temperatures of around 110 degrees in Phoenix to averages of 74-78 in Seattle, and then to low 60's in Alaska. With temperatures possibly as low as 30's while cruising the Glaciers. We are spending a couple days prior to the cruise in Seattle.

I plan to wear capri's and t-shirts while carrying a light jacket and comfy walking shoes in Seattle. For the cruise: Bringing (long) yoga type pants/leggings, t-shirts and long sleeved t's, while layering with camisole type undies, and vests over. Also will have available fleece type (hoodies) for between t's and vests. Also, a couple scarves to keep neck and ears warm, along with a warm hat and gloves. We will pick up a light, inexpensive waterproof rain covering at Big 5 or WalMart, in the event of a downpour. Nothing worse than paying premium price for a plastic rain poncho because you are desperate. As Farts mentioned, we will bring extra socks, as cold wet feet are very unpleasant.

I will in all likelihood mostly wear the leggings and/or yoga pants, however, I will bring a pair or 2 of jeans and my comfiest boots. For evenings, I will bring nice slacks and long sleeved pretty tops, while wearing ballet flats. Hubby will be in Jeans and t's or fleeces daily, while sticking with slacks or jeans with Tommy Bahama's or long sleeved dress shirts for evening.

Packing for an Alaskan cruise is definitely a bit more complicated than for a Caribbean one!

Only thing I would add is to not bring leather when walking outside as it can rain on you at any time. I have seen many nice LV purses ruined by rain from people who come from drier places like AZ. watermarks are a real concern in wet places.

These are such helpful advice. Now I know what to pack and more importantly what to buy :) Room light, lanyards etc are great suggestions. Can't wait to sail!

I don't think lanyards are that important. I've never used one b4 on a cruise and I gotten by just fine

I don't think lanyards are that important. I've never used one b4 on a cruise and I gotten by just fine

We received our lanyard on our first cruise from our CC Meet and Greet organizer. We have reused it for each subsequent cruise. Years ago, onboard cruisers would ask where we got them. Now, many have gone the route of Bling or add their ship pins to them. (Sad we can no longer get them) I guess it is part of the cruise culture.

We have a magnetic hook which we attach by door so, we always know where room cards are. No fumbling in pockets or purse when arriving at cabin.

I would imagine that if your professional life includes wearing your ID on a lanyard, it may not be something that would be desired on vacation. :cool:

We received our lanyard on our first cruise from our CC Meet and Greet organizer. We have reused it for each subsequent cruise. Years ago, onboard cruisers would ask where we got them. Now, many have gone the route of Bling or add their ship pins to them. (Sad we can no longer get them) I guess it is part of the cruise culture.

We have a magnetic hook which we attach by door so, we always know where room cards are. No fumbling in pockets or purse when arriving at cabin.

I would imagine that if your professional life includes wearing your ID on a lanyard, it may not be something that would be desired on vacation. :cool:

ID badges are required daily and I do have a lil retractable id holder.

I guess I just don't like to carry around more stuff than I need to. My phone case has a id holder, and that is what I use to hold my ID card. I always have my phone on me with the cellular data off and the music playing on my headphone, so I see a lanyard as more stuff to carry and lose.

Sorry if I read this wrong.

I still do not know what "4 cabin luggage" means.

Cabin luggage are bags that you don't have to check on the airline. They typically will fit in the overhead bin or if small enough under the seat in front of you. Also, on some airlines they don't charge for them so you can save some $$$.

Great way to travel - with checked bags averaging $25 each - for a family of 4 you save a ton. Every bag you don't check saves you $50 on a round trip.

For August: beginning of August, selection of shorts, jean, t-shirts, layers, layers, layers. You never know what you're going to get. Weather in Alaska changes constantly. Plus, do you plan on doing a glacier helicopter tour - you better have a down layer. even if just a down vest. It gets cold up there!

Later than mid August, I would have multiple layers, especially depending on what your excursions are.

Not on a cruise, but I was on the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry in end of August/beginning of September 2016 (also did August 2015) - We had amazing Northern lights, that being said, I was outside from anywhere between 12am and 4am. In the event you get to see the northern lights that early in the season, you want hats, gloves, jackets, etc.

Alaska ports gets more rainfalls than Seattle, WA - expect wet weather (seeing the sun daily is a bonus) pack & dress for it, layered waterproof jackets w. hoodies & weatherproof daypack/backpack to keep contents inside dry, pay attention to your footwear as docks & walkways, etc. can be wet & slippery. Wool hat for warm is optional but a pair of gloves are recommended. Check the 10 days weather forecasts before leaving for embarkation port - add a packable down vest if trip to higher elevations are planned, if necessary.

A good 10X or higher power binoculars is always good to spot wildlife in the distance