Caribbean Cruises - Which side of ship is generally Dock Side?

shrimpboat123

I'm trying to determine which side of the ship to pick for our cabin. When the ship docks at the various ports, which side of the ship is tied up at the dock? Is it the Port side or the Starboard side in the majority of cases?

Thanks for your help.

Good question shrimpboat123 - we always book port side - not because we are in the know, just because it has worked out well a lot of times and now it's a habit.

Glad you already checked into the roll call - will be very interesting to see what the more knowledgeable people say :D

Thanks so much for the quick responses. Based on the responses, I'd say the Port side wins.

But I have a solution. I think we'll go with another couple and we'll take a cabin on each side. That way we can have the best of both worlds.:)

I looked at your itinerary to see how we were tied up the last time at each of your ports, but unfortunately we haven't been to most of them. Of the ones we have, they were:

Nassau - tied up port side, but there were three other ships between us and land. All the port side saw was another ship and the starboard side had the better view

St. Thomas - tied up port side, but another HAL ship was tied up on the other side of the pier, also on its port side, so both starboard sides had the better view

Bridgetown Barbados - starboard side tied up

Castries St Lucia - we tendered

Philipsburg St Maarten - starboard side tied up, and the port side had the good view across the bay

My point is, even when the the dock is on the port side that does not mean that side has the better view.

Thanks so much for the quick responses. Based on the responses, I'd say the Port side wins.

But I have a solution. I think we'll go with another couple and we'll take a cabin on each side. That way we can have the best of both worlds.:)

A hot tip: whether a ship comes alongside port or starboard side at a given port on a given cruise can, and has been, changed up to an hour before that ship reaches her berth. A myriad of reasons why that happens come into play. Just because "pax A" remembers their particular cruise (or cruises) docking starboard at certain ports does not mean that the same ship, at the same port, on the following cruise, will do the same!

Typhoon said it right! "Flip a coin"

A hot tip: whether a ship comes alongside port or starboard side at a given port on a given cruise can, and has been, changed up to an hour before that ship reaches her berth. A myriad of reasons why that happens come into play. Just because "pax A" remembers their particular cruise (or cruises) docking starboard at certain ports does not mean that the same ship, at the same port, on the following cruise, will do the same!

My money is on Copper's response to you..It all depends on the tide/sea/harbor conditions, space at the dock, size of the ship, & most importantly on the Harbor Master.. He is the one who decides which side the ship will dock on.. Out of 19 cruises I would never attempt to tell any one on which side their ship will usually dock..

We've been to several ports 8 or 9 times & our ships have docked on both sides of the ship..

I think that Typhoon, Cruiser Bruce & several others have given you a straight answer when they say there is absolutely no way for you to know ahead of time..

Cheers...:)Betty

You do realize that when you're in port, you likely won't be hanging around your stateroom very much? So it really doesn't matter what side of the ship you're on - You'll get to see plenty either way.

BTW - If you're traveling w/ friends, you'll probably find that it will be much easier and more enjoyable to have them next door.

Thank you for the tip. I have a lot to learn about cruising. I was initially looking at this from a picture taking opportunity from our balcony. I see now that there is no guarantee which side of the ship will have the best views as you dock (as a previous poster mentioned). I'll just go with the flow.

Thank you for the tip. I have a lot to learn about cruising. I was initially looking at this from a picture taking opportunity from our balcony. I see now that there is no guarantee which side of the ship will have the best views as you dock (as a previous poster mentioned). I'll just go with the flow.

If it is about taking pictures then the upper decks allow you to take pictures from any angle. :)

Followers of HAL's Captain Albert, on the Princendam, have read how the ship's Boatswain (the officer who looks after the ship's hull maintenance and boats) will consult with him on which side of the ship should be against the dock for maintenance on a given Port Call. Many ports and Harbourmasters restrict what maintenance can be done, so the Environmental Officer is involved as well.

You do realize that when you're in port, you likely won't be hanging around your stateroom very much? So it really doesn't matter what side of the ship you're on -

I actually like to relax with a cocktail after a day on shore and watch the action as a ship prepares to depart a port.

FWIW, we just returned from a Western Caribbean itinerary and these were our dock sides:

Half Moon Cay: tendered off the port side

Grand Turk: tied at dock on starboard side

Grand Cayman: tendered off the starboard side

Costa Maya: tied at dock on port side

It doesn't really matter that much and I wouldn't choose a cabin based on it. This was our third cruise and all three times we we given a starboard side cabin and so now that's what we prefer.

I actually like to relax with a cocktail after a day on shore and watch the action as a ship prepares to depart a port.

You can do that on any public deck as well - after all, this is not a land-based hotel where you can specify you want a "Sea View" room as opposed to a "Mountain View".

IMO, it's best to just not worry about these minor things - With 1/2 the ship's population on the "non-scenic" side at any one time, there's never going to be a 100% optimal situation for every last person aboard every single day.

You can do that on any public deck as well - after all, this is not a land-based hotel where you can specify you want a "Sea View" room as opposed to a "Mountain View".

IMO, it's best to just not worry about these minor things - With 1/2 the ship's population on the "non-scenic" side at any one time, there's never going to be a 100% optimal situation for every last person aboard every single day.

Absolutely. But I do llike to watch from my balcony if possible! :)

It is so nice to see everyone trying to help the op in his dilema.

What he may have forgotten - is the sea view pool is right at the back of his deck so he can also go out there and view:) very, very nice.

Archived