Will we be able to see the stars?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Kelowna, BC
467 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
We are sailing on the Voyager of the Seas in February in Australia & New Zealand. I am from Canada and am really looking forward to seeing the stars in the southern hemisphere. Will that be possible aboard the ship or will there be too much light pollution? Where is the best place on the ship to view? We have an inside stateroom.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises

Brilliance of the Seas - Transatlantic Oct 2016
Allure of the Seas - Transatlantic Oct 2015
Norwegian Jade - Mediterranean March 2014
Voyager of the Seas - Sydney to Perth 2013
Regal Princess - Alaska Sep 2001

Big wish after Antarctica - Western Africa
Kelowna, BC
467 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Anyone??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises

Brilliance of the Seas - Transatlantic Oct 2016
Allure of the Seas - Transatlantic Oct 2015
Norwegian Jade - Mediterranean March 2014
Voyager of the Seas - Sydney to Perth 2013
Regal Princess - Alaska Sep 2001

Big wish after Antarctica - Western Africa
VA, MD & FL
6,172 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by chris_kelowna
We are sailing on the Voyager of the Seas in February in Australia & New Zealand. I am from Canada and am really looking forward to seeing the stars in the southern hemisphere. Will that be possible aboard the ship or will there be too much light pollution? Where is the best place on the ship to view? We have an inside stateroom.
For starters, the stars will not be visible from your inside - oh, you knew that already didn't you

For star viewing I recommend going to the helipad. Go to Deck 4; go out to the Promenade under the lifeboats; Go forward until you see steps going up; Go up those steps; keep going forward; Go up more steps and you will be on the helipad. The helipad is generally open to anyone almost all the time [except in heavy seas or during helicopter operations].

If none of that works, the Southern Cross is visible on both the NZ and Oz flags.

enjoy!!
Thom
Georgia
391 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
I was looking forward to seeing the stars on my first cruise but the ship was so bright we could not. Perhaps on a smaller ship (I was on the Liberty)? Though I don't recall being able to see them on the Enchantment either.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
- Carolann

Freedom of the Seas - May 19, 2013 - CocoCay, St. Thomas, St. Maarten
Enchantment of the Seas - May 25, 2009 - Key West, Cozumel, Belize
Liberty of the Seas - May 17, 2008 - Labadee, MoBay Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
IL
8,099 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
There is a lot of light pollution from the ship. For star gazing, all I have really been able to see are the very brightest stars. Not terribly satisfying.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
You're never too old to have a great childhood!
Southern California
36,174 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by TravelerThom
For starters, the stars will not be visible from your inside

Thom
Darn, I wanted to say that.
Rhode Island, U.S.A.
22,301 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by clcurry
I was looking forward to seeing the stars on my first cruise but the ship was so bright we could not. Perhaps on a smaller ship (I was on the Liberty)? Though I don't recall being able to see them on the Enchantment either.
Did you try going out to the helipad on Liberty? It is pretty dark out there at night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
737 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
This is one of my favorite after dinner activities and I've had good luck stargazing from the helipad. Most of the ship and the lights are behind you. I'd recommend getting a luminous star chart too.
Virginia Beach, VA.
11,179 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
I agree with the helipad. It is fairly dark on the pad so light pollution from the rest of the ship will not be an issue. This area is the darkest (outdoor) location on the ship at night so that there is little to no light pollution going into the navigation bridge.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grandeur of the Seas Dec. 2009
Freedom of the Seas Sept. 2010
Majesty of the Seas Dec. 2010
Freedom of the Seas Oct. 2011
Majesty of the Seas Nov. 2011
Monarch of the Seas May 2012
Allure of the Seas Sept. 2012
Carnival Glory May 2013
Allure of the Seas Sept. 2013
Majesty of the Seas Sept. 2013
Carnival Pride March 2014
Allure of the Seas Sept. 2014
Carnival Breeze Sept. 2014
Carnival Splendor May 2015
Carnival Splendor October 2015
Majesty of the Seas Dec. 2015
Enchantment of the Seas Feb. 2016
Majesty of the Seas April 2016
Carnival Splendor October 2016
Empress of the Seas November 2016
Oasis of the Seas Jan. 2017
Carnival Vista March 2017

Link to my Allure of the Seas review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ighlight=eng23

A2, MI
2,599 Posts
Joined May 2012
Assuming all is going well, and you are moving at night, the entire front of the ship is not lit, and has as little light pollution as possible- so that the bridge can see at night.

If there's an accessible helipad, there will also be chairs that you can sit out on. Wait for a while to have your eyes adjust, and the stars you see will be amazing. It's one of our most favorite things to do.

(I also have an app for star gazing- very cool)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"quite a few" Cruises so far, all on Royal Caribbean. Yea, we are loyal to Royal...

Our first was on the Monarch, and we were on her last RCCL...

More to come. Being cruise nerds is fun.
VA, MD & FL
6,172 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by alfaeric
...If there's an accessible helipad...
Freedom, Voyager and Radiance class ships have accessible helipads. Oasis class has helipads, but in a restricted area [very occasionally open to suites and/or Diamonds for a sail away]. I don't think Vision and Sovereign class ships have helipads [but not sure of that]. Definitely worth checking out the helipad on OP's Down Under cruise.

Thom
Fredericksburg, va. USA
81,513 Posts
Joined May 2001
I'm an avid stargazer, but on the water, it always seemed clouds or water vapor....something!...would obstruct any decent views. If you are in a port in the evening, try to see from there!
Virginia Beach, VA.
11,179 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by cb at sea
I'm an avid stargazer, but on the water, it always seemed clouds or water vapor....something!...would obstruct any decent views. If you are in a port in the evening, try to see from there!
While in a port will not give good viewing due to all the background light from the city. Being in port you would have a lot of light pollution.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grandeur of the Seas Dec. 2009
Freedom of the Seas Sept. 2010
Majesty of the Seas Dec. 2010
Freedom of the Seas Oct. 2011
Majesty of the Seas Nov. 2011
Monarch of the Seas May 2012
Allure of the Seas Sept. 2012
Carnival Glory May 2013
Allure of the Seas Sept. 2013
Majesty of the Seas Sept. 2013
Carnival Pride March 2014
Allure of the Seas Sept. 2014
Carnival Breeze Sept. 2014
Carnival Splendor May 2015
Carnival Splendor October 2015
Majesty of the Seas Dec. 2015
Enchantment of the Seas Feb. 2016
Majesty of the Seas April 2016
Carnival Splendor October 2016
Empress of the Seas November 2016
Oasis of the Seas Jan. 2017
Carnival Vista March 2017

Link to my Allure of the Seas review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ighlight=eng23

1,434 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
On some sailings they will arrange stargazing sessions and they are held on the helipads. Just check your compass to see if there is one during your sailing or as others have said go out tot the helipad on your own, but caution it is real windy getting out there by the sides.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - Transatlantic - 10/22/17
RCCL Vision of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 1/17/18
RCCL Vision of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 1/22/18
RCCL Symphony of the Seas - Transatlantic - 10/28/18
Cincinnati (Mason), Ohio
2,730 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
I know this reply won't be popular (wink), as we are early to bed/ early risers, but going out at 430-5a is better. The ship is at it's darkest then and it's quite pleasant.
Karen
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise lines sailed: Royal (12), Disney (1), Carnival (1), Holland (1) and Celebrity (2).
Places visited: Caribbean (lots), Alaska, Australia/Tasmania, South Pacific, Greece, Turkey, Malta, Italy, New Zealand, England and Norway. and The Ohio River.
Our travel blog if you like photos

Columbus, OH USA
26,358 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by clcurry

As an avid amatuer astronomer, I'll add i really takes your eyes 20 minutes (more if your older) to adjust to darkness. To really see the most from the bow you have to avoid accidentally looking back at the ship at all for a long time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1st cruise 4/29/06 RCCL Voyager of the Seas. - Eastern Caribbean.
2nd cruise - 5/11/07 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas. MOTHER'S day cruise!
3rd cruise - 4/27/08 Freedom of the Seas -Western Caribbean. Freedom's 100th cruise!
4th cruise - 4/16/09 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel/Belize.
5th cruise 11/15/10 Majesty of the Seas - Key West Nassau.
6th cruise -5/1/11 Allure of the Seas Eastern route 30th anniversary cruise
7th cruise 4/14/12 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel Costa Maya
8th cruise 4/28/13 Allure of the Seas Eastern route
9th cruise 10/28/13 Majesty of the Seas Halloween in Key West
10th cruise 5/3/14 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean
11th cruise 4/26/15 Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean
12th cruise 4/30/16 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean
13th cruise 10/17/16 Majesty of the Seas 4 day from Port Canaveral Bahamas
14th cruise 4/29/17 Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean ABC islands.
81 great night's sleep

21 days on an Oasis class, 19 days on a Voyager class,15 days on a Sovereign class ship, 14 days on a Freedom class, 12 days on a Radiance class, .

My long signature will annoy some people. I'm ok with that.
Georgia
391 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by Ocean Boy
Did you try going out to the helipad on Liberty? It is pretty dark out there at night.
I didn't make it to the helipad. It was blocked off every time I checked because of high winds.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
- Carolann

Freedom of the Seas - May 19, 2013 - CocoCay, St. Thomas, St. Maarten
Enchantment of the Seas - May 25, 2009 - Key West, Cozumel, Belize
Liberty of the Seas - May 17, 2008 - Labadee, MoBay Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Lynchburg, VA
4,967 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
I have not only seen stars at night, I have also seen satellites going overhead!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Solo Allure Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1927866
My Solo Grandeur Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1952859
My Solo Carnival Sunshine Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2049021
My Solo MSC Divina Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...7#post44302217
My Live MSC Divina Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2352075
My Live HAL Maasdam Alaska Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2396680

Australia
1,513 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Hi,

I'm Australian & sailing on Voyager in 2 weeks, I'll be back before you cruise I think, so I'll try to remember to check out the best spots & let you know. What date do you leave?

I live in rural Australia with almost zero light pollution, sometines so dark you can't see the car 10 feet in front of you. We see loads of beautiful constellations including the famous Southern Cross & the Milky Way is fantastic. Since I'm familiar with what you can see here I will be able to compare it to what you see from the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Booked..................................................
Nothing at the moment

Sailed ..................................................

RCI Ovation Of The Seas - Jan 2017 - New Zealand
RCI Voyager Of The Seas - March 2016 - South Pacific/Fiji
Celebrity Solstice - March 2015 - South Pacific
RCI Rhapsody Of The Seas 2014 - Vanuatu Islands
RCI Radiance Of The Seas 2013 x 3 - Trans Pacific - Hawaii/Tahiti/NZ | Hawaii | Alaskan cruise/tour
RCI Voyager Of The Seas 2013 - New Zealand
RCI Radiance Of The Seas 2012 - Pacific Islands
Insight 1995 - Greek Islands | Insight 1995 - Nile Cruise Egypt
Sitmar Fairsky 1976 - Pacific Islands
P&O Himalaya 1974 - Pacific Islands
Rhode Island, U.S.A.
22,301 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by boingy300
I know this reply won't be popular (wink), as we are early to bed/ early risers, but going out at 430-5a is better. The ship is at it's darkest then and it's quite pleasant.
Karen
I completely agree. I am a very early riser. I think early morning is the best time on the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature