Question re Princess Visa Reward Points

jonikal

Made a reservation using our TA. We have Princess Visa card points we'd like to apply to the cost of our tickets. We used Future Cruise Credit to book the cruise and assume we have to wait until final payment is charged to the Princess Visa card before being able to redeem our points online? We have done this before but have forgotten the procedure. I tried to get assistance from a Barclaycard rep, but she had no idea and told me to contact Princess.

What I did was apply the points to my statement. They credited me $500.

You can actually do that anytime. I did it after my card was charged for the balance owed on the cruise. It takes one month to see it applied.

That's helpful thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Made a reservation using our TA. We have Princess Visa card points we'd like to apply to the cost of our tickets. We used Future Cruise Credit to book the cruise and assume we have to wait until final payment is charged to the Princess Visa card before being able to redeem our points online? We have done this before but have forgotten the procedure. I tried to get assistance from a Barclaycard rep, but she had no idea and told me to contact Princess.

It is all very confusing since they "enhanced" the rewards program. For example they state you can redeem points against any travel purchase you made in the last 180 days for a variable percentage return. That percentage is supposed to go up to 2% if points are redeemed for a Princess purchase of over $4,000. However, in my case and others, they do not show cruise purchases on the list of eligible travel purchases. If you call them to redeem points since the website doesn't show a cruise purchase as being eligible, which I just did, they will only give you statement credit equal to a 1% return even though you have made a final payment of over $10,000 for a cruise.

Many people have posted on this forum about these problems with the enhanced program. So far, no one has gotten a satisfactory answer from either Barclays or Princess.

Yes.

Hard to find one with no annual fee.

It can be but if you're already a member of costco or sams, it can be done.

We get 3% on our sams and costco cards for travel including cruises, hotels, rental cars, and airplanes regardless of whether we book those through the cruise line. But the main advantage is that cash back can be combined with any promotion and you're not locked into a specific cruise line.

After this cruise I will be looking into a Costco card. For now, I hope they fix that glitch soon where they give the right credit for when paying for the cruise with your card. So far, my deposit isn't showing up either

Edited by Cruiser1862

After this cruise I will be looking into a Costco card. For now, I hope they fix that glitch soon where they give the right credit for when paying for the cruise with your card. So far, my deposit isn't showing up either

FWIW, you get this:

Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection

Travel plans can go awry for many reasons. If certain unforeseen events get in the way of your trip, you may be reimbursed for non–refundable trip expenses, like change fees, provided you paid for the trip with your Citi card.

Of course, you'll still need medical and evacuation insurance but those can be purchased separately.

Visit the website for other benefits.

Sam's doesn't provide this.

There have been two lengthy threads about how badly Barclay has implemented their new rewards rules & the inability to receive rewards despite having an eligible purchase. As soon as I get my statement credit I'm cancelling their card & will use another rewards card.

Question for people with Princess visa card

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2423479

Princess Credit Card Enhancements

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2407334

Last week a Barclay manager said she'd get my eligible purchase added so I could use my reward points which hasn't happened & even worse they've removed all of my points to have a zero balance! :mad:

Edited by Astro Flyer

I've had no issues redeeming points. I give them a current cruise booking ID and the credit is applied directly to the Princess credit card. Recently used points for a $750 credit towards my Christmas cruise

Did you do that before 11/9/16?

Before that date I did like you to easily get a chargecard statement credit. I waited until the new rules were implemented to get a 1.5% reward vs 1% previously for my points.

However since the new rules were implemented there have been many posts (including mine) about being unable to redeem reward points including for a statement credit. My call to Barclay to have my recent Princess purchase as an eligible purchase has only resulted in another problem...all of my points have disappeared & I don't have a statement credit! :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

What I did was apply the points to my statement. They credited me $500.

You can actually do that anytime. I did it after my card was charged for the balance owed on the cruise. It takes one month to see it applied.

Wondering how to do that. I made a final payment in August. Do I apply the points towards my next statement? I was trying to reach the $500 mark. Also, can I do it online?

Been trying to redeem 150,000 points online on a $4000+ cruise purchase with no luck. That will be $3000...

Sent VISA a message.. Here is their reply..

Dear xxxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Princess Rewards Visa Signature Card. We apologize for any inconvenience the previous response may have caused you, and can certainly address your concern regarding the redemption on your account.

Though, when we checked the website redemption system on our end; the page is just informing us that 'No qualifying purchases available at this time'. In order to address this, we have forwarded your issue to the appropriate area for further review. Your case ID is xxxxxxx. We indicated that you made the 'PRINCESS CRUISES PASSAGE' transaction amounting to $4,006.64 that you want to redeem. Please understand that all casework is typically completed within 7-10 business days; however, please be advised that the decision can take up to 30 days to complete depending on the complexity of the situation. Rest assured that once reviewed, we will make the necessary resolution for this, if applicable.

Furthermore, should you want to follow-up about the progress of your case, you may send us a Secure Message, or contact us through phone at 1-866-872-6248. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and will be happy to assist you.

We understand that this in an urgent matter on your part, and rest assured that we will exert our utmost effort to conclude investigation as soon as possible. We ask for your patience while we work towards the best possible solution regarding your concern.

We regret not being able to meet your needs at this time, but please know that we value our customers and we are looking forward to catering to your future credit needs. If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Care

LARGIN...I got the same statements verbally by calling Barclay & talking to a manager who said she'll track the progress of my problem of not showing any eligible Princess purchase which they acknowledged I do have one.

Since then it's gotten worse & my points are not shown...hopefully you'll have a better result & not have your points disappear. I'm waiting until tomorrow to call them to restore my points. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

Astro... I took a screen shot showing me with 150,000+ points.. :D

That was a wise decision :D

Mine is a small fraction of your total (and should have taken a screenshot) but I still want my statement credit. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yesterday all of my points disappeared but there was no statement credit; today all of my points are still gone but there's now a full statement credit. :D

That was issued just in time to reduce my statement balance's payment for my cruise's final payment. So if anyone who contacted Barclay about being unable to redeem points for a statement credit sees their points removed it may take a day to have the credit posted to your Princess Visa chargecard account.

Throughout this thread it's been speculated about whether we can redeem all of our points (agents said they "thought" that all could be redeemed) or in $50 increments which the new rules they mailed seems to indicate. The manager said that $50 is the minimum award for 5,000 points (previously it was a 10,000 points minimum) at 1%. My reward redemption was just credited for all of my points & hopefully others will have the same experience.

In my situation, I called Barclay to talk to an account manager & it took several days to correct the no eligible purchase within 180 days problem. I had such a purchase which qualifed me for a 1.5% reward statement credit & I was able to redeem all of my points which previously was not an option.

For me the new rules resulted in an increased redemption rate (1.5% vs 1% previously) and being able to redeem all of my points & not incrementally. Hopefully soon all of these problems will be corrected & we can easily go to their website to redeem points for a statement credit. I didn't attempt to redeem points for anything else (including OBC which would have been only 1% for me) but for anyone who isn't in a hurry like me, then you might want to consider waiting until their online system is corrected instead of spending a lot of time talking to Barclay.

The new rules were more beneficial for me & hopefully they will be better for everyone else & eventually without all of the problems I had to get my reward points redeemed.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Throughout this thread it's been speculated about whether we can redeem all of our points (agents said they "thought" that all could be redeemed) or in $50 increments which the new rules they mailed seems to indicate. The manager said that $50 is the minimum award for 5,000 points (previously it was a 10,000 points minimum) at 1%.

I have been redeeming 5000 points for $50 OBC for several years. It is not a recent change, at least for OBC.

I have been redeeming 5000 points for $50 OBC for several years. It is not a recent change, at least for OBC.

Her statement was for a statement credit which as I recall was correct & it began at 10,000 points but I have no experience like you with redeeming for OBC.

Based on what I've read, currently OBC levels are 1%-1.25% and statement credits are 1%-2% which is my best option.

• 5 months later...

When I was having problems redeeming points last year, they were just changing over their system. That's why my eligible purchases did not show up for a long time.

They seemed to have resolved that issue, and I have used it successfully a few times in the past year.

The advantage now is you can use the credits for any of the Carnival-Princess-Holland America and others that are owned by Carnival, and apply for statement credit. I just booked a Holland America, and the deposit was immediately listed as an eligible expense, and I cashed in the points. The only problem with this is the reimbursement varies with the amount. Low amounts only give 1% benefit, up to 2% for over $4,000.

Now reading the rewards benefit it says "redeeming for a statement credit toward a Princess Cruise line offers the best redemption value", so by that do I assume that if I redeem for Holland America I will only get 1% rate on a $4000 cruise???

The schedule as posted on the rewards site says:

Redeeming for a statement credit toward a Princess Cruise Lines transaction offers the best redemption value. The greater the purchase amount, the greater the potential rewards value.

Princess purchase amount ($50 or greater) within last 180 days = Redemption points value

$50 to $499.99 = 1%

$500 -$2,000.99 = 1.25%

$2,001-$4,000.99 = 1.5%

$4,001+ = 2.0%