Another wifi question

Twocoasts

So, I know that we only get one wifi account for our cabin and one device at a time. But, is there public wifi available in the public areas/lounges? For example in most hotels you pay for wifi in your room but if you go to the lobby here is free wifi. The explanation of the Oceania web site isn't clear.

So if we're in a common area we could have one device on the free wifi and another on our paid account?

No. There is no FREE wifi as such - only paid. However, it works throughout the ship (some places better than others).

If you have a complimentary wifi as part of your package/promotion, then it is "free".

WI FI is a way your device connects to the internet

You can use a IPad, Netbook , laptop, desktop or other devices to connect to the internet

If as Paul has stated you have the Complimentary internet package you can only use 1 device at a time

EG: if you are in the computer lab using their desktop ...DH cannot use his netbook in the cabin at the same time

Not even sure you can pay for a 2nd account you would have to discuss that with the computer person

Each person in the stateroom can have their own paid internet account with their own login and password. That way DH & DW can have dueling IPads.:)

We were told we could not purchase two paid internet accounts--that even if we did only one could be used at a time. We want to be using two iPads at once and that doesn't seem possible.

The way the website is written I didn't realize that you needed an internet package to access the web on their desktops in the business center. That's very surprising.

The way the website is written I didn't realize that you needed an internet package to access the web on their desktops in the business center. That's very surprising.

Why is it surprising :confused:

Is that truly the case?

As I recall, you could always use their computers at $.99 a minute. It's just that a package (whether unlimited or the 200 minute package) reduces the per minute charge. But it's a long time since I did not purchase a package of some sort or another.

(One could argue, I supposed, that the unlimited package does NOT reduce your cost. It can depend on just how much you use the internet. If you want to send a couple of emails a day, it's not worth getting the unlimited package. If you really want to access the internet, that's something else.)

Mura

Is that truly the case?

As I recall, you could always use their computers at $.99 a minute.

Yes still .99 cents per minute if you do not buy a package no matter how you access the internet onboard (not counting the complimentary deals)

plus 25 cent for each print out

I am not sure that was what the OP was getting at ..maybe they thought it was free if you use the desktop computers ;)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

One of the promotions on our cruise (for everyone) is free wifi; therefore, I would think that a husband and wife (or any two people) could have their access simultaneously.

As part of the conditions it is one account per cabin FREE this has been discussed before here

check the Terms & conditions

Free Unlimited Internet Package and Shipboard Credit are per stateroom,

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/legal/promotiontermsconditions.aspx

Edited by LHT28

One of the promotions on our cruise (for everyone) is free wifi; therefore, I would think that a husband and wife (or any two people) could have their access simultaneously.

We have the same promotion and confirmed with Oceania that whether it is free or you are paying for a package--one login only and one device at a time--period.

My surprise at having to pay for internet access in the business center is that virtually every business center in every hotel I've been in anywhere in the world offers free internet when you are sitting in front of their desktop PC--it's when you want access for your own device you have to pay.

And, free wifi in public areas is not just the norm in hotels but in restaurants, coffee shops, libraries--heck--even on some airplanes--so I expected that there would be similar access on the ship.

Because the Oceania web site touts wifi throughout the ship, I assumed it was public wifi. Live and learn.

On Regatta last year, many folks on board had free, unlimited internet access as part of the promotion. We were able to obtain two passwords for the same cabin and DH and I could be online with two different devices simultaneously. The internet guru in "Oceania At Sea" even helped me do it so I know it was allowed at that time.

However, I'm not surprised Oceania has cut out that practice. On that cruise, the privilege was grossly abused with a number of people keeping their phones signed on to the wifi continuously, thereby reducing the band width available for everyone else.

We have the same promotion and confirmed with Oceania that whether it is free or you are paying for a package--one login only and one device at a time--period.

My surprise at having to pay for internet access in the business center is that virtually every business center in every hotel I've been in anywhere in the world offers free internet when you are sitting in front of their desktop PC--it's when you want access for your own device you have to pay.

And, free wifi in public areas is not just the norm in hotels but in restaurants, coffee shops, libraries--heck--even on some airplanes--so I expected that there would be similar access on the ship.

Because the Oceania web site touts wifi throughout the ship, I assumed it was public wifi. Live and learn.

You will also learn it is S l o w and intermittent. Today on Regatta it was off for about 5 hours. This is not a hotel nor a coffee shop on land!

Edited by orchestrapal

So, I know that we only get one wifi account for our cabin and one device at a time. But, is there public wifi available in the public areas/lounges? For example in most hotels you pay for wifi in your room but if you go to the lobby here is free wifi. The explanation of the Oceania web site isn't clear.

No matter how you access the on board computer system, whether by a "free" account (included in the fare as an incentive to book), or by the $.99 per minute price, a bundle such as 200 minutes for whatever price, or the unlimited package for a certain price per day (I've seen it vary, usually under $30), you must create an account and log in. There are no public, open accounts such as you might encounter in a hotel.

Once you create your account, it will "follow" you around the ship, no matter whether you are using your own device or a ship's computer. Paid accounts are normally one per cabin, shared, one device at a time. There may be exceptions to this, especially if the internet is included for everyone.

Part of the trick, one will have to learn on their own, is when to use the internet. ;) There are times when it drags to almost a stop, and other times when use is fast and easy.

Let me give you one example of when not to use the internet. On sea days, a lot of people decide they must send a hundred (100) or so pictures of their adventures to date back to love ones at home. So here the boat is, often in the middle of the ocean with BFE the nearest land mass, and we have scores of passengers all trying to upload massive files, and millions of gigabytes of data, while sitting around the pool. :eek: It gets really comical watching and listening to everyone swearing about the slow speeds. :p That satellite is only going to take so much data off the ship at any one time. People should relax and share their pictures AFTER they get back home!!!! But that's not the new Facebook way.

Just one hint on when NOT to expect good service on internet. :D