star back early

markmo

Deja vu - again (must be bad "FengShui" this year for the Star, we sailed her quite some time ago, fine ship & loved the crew) and it's been dry docked and had lots of ongoing maintenance & attention to its azipods and related components. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2270196&highlight=star+propulsion

Well, good news being that it made it safely back to its homeport and should have 18+ hours to do what's necessary to get it going again, all night long as necessary.

Ship's webcam is off (since Tues. Nov 17 ??) & not refreshing - no matter what sites / links used ... pax most likely staying onboard overnight due to CBP regulations, etc. (as was in previous situations)

Not good, forget about the fancy linens and deco's - get the mechanical systems running ... and, it's not just exclusive to the Star, others in the fleet like the Dawn were having problems - we had problems a while back with the Jewel.

Edited by mking8288

Not sure what your post means.:confused:

Where else would she be if she came back early Saturday night and isn't supposed to leave until Sunday afternoon at 4pm?

Bill

It was good news, did not sink or drift away:D

The Star this year makes me reluctant to book Asia next year.

I'm really not liking all the problems with the Star. They had this same problem a couple of weeks ago and can't seem to get it fixed. People have talked about the lousy service also. We are sailing her in Feb. and this really makes me worry.

To say that this is "the same problem" as a few weeks ago is the same as saying that your car having a dead battery this week is the same as a rotten muffler last month. The previous problem was a leaking seal on the pod, which is most often caused (especially since the seals were renewed in March) by a ship encountering "long line" fishing gear that most likely had no marking, which wraps around the shaft and imbeds itself in the seal. Any ship, with any type of propulsion, could encounter this problem. To date, we don't know if this problem is with the same pod, or the other one, or whether the problem is completely different from a leaking seal.

My attitude as a passenger is, I don’t care what component of the ship is causing problems, just fix it before I sail. It was just a few weeks ago the Star returned to Tampa early with problems. For that matter, ever since the Star returned to service from her refurbishment she has experienced propulsion problems off and on.

Many cruise ship passengers only get a couple of weeks of vacation per year and the last thing they want is to have their trip cut short or ruined because of problems with the ship. The Star has experienced more than the normal share of issues this year. Personally, I would feel like I was gambling if I booked a cruise on the Star. My opinion of course.

Folks on this sailing's rollcall already boarded, posted an update - scheduled sail time is 10 PM this evening per memo distributed @ pier check-in.

Safety first - give the maintenance team the needed time to get it right & address whatever issues.

Yes, we're leaving a little later this evening. And as for service, this is the friendliest crew I've seen in quite some time. Very helpful and courteous.

Yay!! I could care less when they sail - they can make up time and it seldom impacts ports. I will be on that ship in just a few weeks drinking and eating and having fun. So glad to hear that earlier reports of crew issues are fixed!!

My attitude as a passenger is, I don’t care what component of the ship is causing problems, just fix it before I sail. It was just a few weeks ago the Star returned to Tampa early with problems. For that matter, ever since the Star returned to service from her refurbishment she has experienced propulsion problems off and on.

Many cruise ship passengers only get a couple of weeks of vacation per year and the last thing they want is to have their trip cut short or ruined because of problems with the ship. The Star has experienced more than the normal share of issues this year. Personally, I would feel like I was gambling if I booked a cruise on the Star. My opinion of course.

I think your right, NCL must have looked into their crystal ball and saw your sailing date, now their going to screw with your head..........:rolleyes:

To say that this is "the same problem" as a few weeks ago is the same as saying that your car having a dead battery this week is the same as a rotten muffler last month. The previous problem was a leaking seal on the pod, which is most often caused (especially since the seals were renewed in March) by a ship encountering "long line" fishing gear that most likely had no marking, which wraps around the shaft and imbeds itself in the seal. Any ship, with any type of propulsion, could encounter this problem. To date, we don't know if this problem is with the same pod, or the other one, or whether the problem is completely different from a leaking seal.[/quote

Okay thanks for the mechanics class. It sounded like the same problem they had the last time to me. It has actually been 3 times in the past couple months that a mechanical issue has effected a cruise in one way or another. I'm cruising in Feb. and that makes me uneasy. I'm not here to split hairs on which part has broken. I'm looking forward to my cruise. There has been a lot of negative remarks about her lately.

Somebody onboard posted on FB that it was scheduled to leave at 10pm and the order of the ports had been swapped. According to the poster it was the same problem. According to another poster it actually left at 4am.

We were on the Star second cruise after dry dock. My other half, who is a lot more mechanically minded than me commented there was something wrong with one of the engines. When I asked why he replied - because look at the wake- it's not symmetrical. It's coming out different on both sides. Sure enough problems on next cruise and it had to return to dry dock again. I did read/hear somewhere, maybe on my next cruise that the problem came from the original dry dock. Forgive me if I haven't explained it properly- the only thing I know about cars is how to put the petrol in.

Let's hope for all the future cruisers the problem has finally been resolved

Edited by karoo

Looking at the roll call posts for this cruise, the ship left about on time today and was not delayed until 10:00pm. No clear info on what the problem was this time, but the issue you had was major and was a result of the first dry dock and led to a cancelled panama canal cruise and another dry dock. This issue must have been easily corrected. I'm booked on the Star for the 4th time in 2017 and am not concerned at all.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Looking at the roll call posts for this cruise, the ship left about on time today and was not delayed until 10:00pm. No clear info on what the problem was this time, but the issue you had was major and was a result of the first dry dock and led to a cancelled panama canal cruise and another dry dock. This issue must have been easily corrected. I'm booked on the Star for the 4th time in 2017 and am not concerned at all.

You could be right. I was just going on information posted on FB groups that came up on my news feed from people who are on the present cruise. Apart from that I wouldn't have a clue. I'm sure by 2017 any problems would be well fixed. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by karoo

Boarding on Sunday the 29th and not liking the reviews I have been reading. Was on the Getaway in May 2015 and Breakaway Nov 2014 and it was fabulous. Very concerned with the posts about poor service, long lines. I think NCL needs to take these comments seriously if they hope to keep us cruisers for the future.

It was good news, did not sink or drift away:D

The Star this year makes me reluctant to book Asia next year.[/QU

Just back from the Star and there was a problem with a lot of the toilets not working and being shut down on Saturday mainly in the public areas.