Really what time can you board?

crp3

I've read so many different things about boarding times; we will

be on the Zuiderdam for Christmas ... departing out of POE.

Can anyone give me a good idea of what time we can begin boarding?

Thank you,

Cheryl

The truthful answer to your queston is that it can vary. However, as a general rule they will start boarding around noon (give or take a half hour). Assuming that you do get on the ship around noon it is possible that you will not be permitted to go to your cabin until about 1pm (because the stewards are still cleaning). A majority of passengers who get on before 1 will head straight to lunch :) Also keep in mind that many passengers will show-up at the terminal before noon and there will be hundreds (or more) just waiting in the terminal for boarding. Once they begin the boarding process they will do it based on a system where priority passengers (Elite, suites, etc) get preference. The staff that runs embarkation are very professional (they do this all the time) and use procedures to avoid chaos.

Hank

I've read so many different things about boarding times; we will

be on the Zuiderdam for Christmas ... departing out of POE.

Can anyone give me a good idea of what time we can begin boarding?

Thank you,

Cheryl

On our Panama cruise in April on the Westerdam out of Ft. Lauderdale they started boarding around 11:30am. We were not first in line so we boarded around 11:40am. Our rooms were ready immediately (this is new) so we dropped off our carry-ons and went to lunch in the Lido.

On our July Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam out of Seattle we we in the front of the line so we started boarding at 11:30am. Again our room was available immediately so we dropped of our carry-ons there. Again we headed to the Lido for lunch.

We love having the room available as soon as we board since it makes it easier not to have to carry around our carry on bags. I also think it makes the "rush" for the Lido buffet a little less heavy since some people go to their rooms and don't rush to the Lido.

I'm wondering if the area that you wait in before boarding

has A/C ? And are there comfortable chairs?

Yes & no; the Eurodam cruise I was on in January had seating & AC once you were allowed into the terminal and upstairs but there was some time (maybe 20-30 minutes) in line outside the building without either.

Our cruise documents for our FLL cruise nest month says the terminal opens at 11am and boarding begins at 11:30am. Also HAL's new boarding policy has your cabins ready at 11:30 so you can go straight to the cabin and drop off your carry on items like my case of wine. Mariner Club members can then go to the MDR for lunch all other go to the Lido for lunch.:D

I'm wondering if the area that you wait in before boarding

has A/C ? And are there comfortable chairs?

[/

Unpredictable...yes AC but about the chairs... We were on Noordam out of FLL a few years ago and the small waiting area was packed, very few seats left.

Maybe the port has upgraded that area since, or maybe there are various potential piers with more space. Others may know.

My guess on crowds... it depends on how many locals are cruising versus how many passengers are still up in airplanes mid day.

On the other hand, when the cruise returned to FLL, baggage claim system of all bags arranged by alphabet waiting to be picked up was much quicker than Miami where we've had to wait by airport style carousels for a long time.

My experience with FLL cruise terminal is nothing but positive. We fly in the day before and get to the terminal when it opens. In the past we have usually been through the check in and been on board in less than 30 minutes. This is the largest cruise terminal in the world and HAL does a great job getting you on the ship with minimal waiting time. They want you on the ship and spending money in the bars as soon as possible.:D

We will be on the Oosterdam out of San Diego, Ca., in Nov. Our TA has advised to wait till around 2 pm to board the ship suggesting it will be easier to board then. However being returning Hal cruisers we will miss the MDR lunch. Would you agree with our TA to wait or is it worth the effort to board earlier?

We will be on the Oosterdam out of San Diego, Ca., in Nov. Our TA has advised to wait till around 2 pm to board the ship suggesting it will be easier to board then. However being returning Hal cruisers we will miss the MDR lunch. Would you agree with our TA to wait or is it worth the effort to board earlier?

Just board about 11 a.m. and you will be ready for the Mariners Lunch which is very nice and relaxing and you will be minus your carry-ons (except your purse if a woman) and enjoy a nice lunch with other guests who also board early.

After all, most hotels have a check-out of 11 a.m. or maybe earlier.

Enjoy your your, we love it.

Just board about 11 a.m. and you will be ready for the Mariners Lunch which is very nice and relaxing

Agree and that Mariners Lunch is one of the pluses for me to board early. Last time I even ran into some CCers who's posted on the Roll Call at this lunch so it was even more nice & relaxing.

Thank you - we wanted to try the Mariners Lunch this time. Yes our checkout time 11 am. Another question we are not real far from the pier but far enough that it is too much to walk. Do cabs mind very much doing short rides and how much would the cost and the tip be for about a 10-15 minute ride?

1.First of all ... I'm a little confused ....... when we pulled up

the info/map for the Everglades ... it showed HAL as docking at an

area that is NOT the very large NEW area......yet 1 or 2 of the

posts lead me to believe that the NEW building has been used by HAL.

Can anyone explain this to me?

2.Do I bring my Mariner Card with me ... and show it in order

to be allowed to have lunch in the Dining Room?

3.Does HAL have (both) the upper and lower DR open for lunch?

Thanks to all of you for being so helpful and willing to share your

your knowledge/ experience with me ....we have been on many cruises

but we have not left out of the Everglades in a few years.

Cheryl

2.Do I bring my Mariner Card with me ... and show it in order

to be allowed to have lunch in the Dining Room?

No need to bring anything with you as proof of Mariner status. When you check in, you will be given your boarding card. It is the ticket to embark/disembark the ship, room key, and charge card for any purchases on the ship. The card will have a *, or two, three, or four, showing your level of Mariner status.

Remember, although having lunch in the dining room on embarkation day is touted as a Mariner perq, it isn't always available to every Mariner. Sometimes the dining room is closed for a private function. Other times there are so many returning Mariners that the lunch is limited to those with the highest number of days.

In any case, no harm in trying. Go to the dining room and see if you can be seated.

Thank you - we wanted to try the Mariners Lunch this time. Yes our checkout time 11 am. Another question we are not real far from the pier but far enough that it is too much to walk. Do cabs mind very much doing short rides and how much would the cost and the tip be for about a 10-15 minute ride?

Cabs are accustomed to the short trip; when the fare's around $15, we usually hand the cabbie a $20.

Once in a great while there can be a delay. On our last cruise with Princess, all the authorities picked that day to do inspections. It delayed boarding by over an hour. I have also been on a cruise where it was delayed because the ship was unable to get the previous passengers off on time. Some customs glitch.

Archived