Transpacific crossings - a really dumb question

kazu

I have searched and can't find anything. This is probably a really dumb question - but do the same rules apply for the side of the ship to be on on a Transpacific crossing as on a Transatlantic crossing.

In other words, if we are coming back to North America, would starboard side give you the sun and the warmth? :)

I am sorry if this has been asked - I really couldn't find it:o

I have searched and can't find anything. This is probably a really dumb question - but do the same rules apply for the side of the ship to be on on a Transpacific crossing as on a Transatlantic crossing.

In other words, if we are coming back to North America, would starboard side give you the sun and the warmth? :)

I am sorry if this has been asked - I really couldn't find it:o

Correct, returning to North America (west to east) the starboard side faces south.

Mike

The answer depends upon if you are crossing the North Pacific or the South Pacific. The sun tends to stay over the equatorial regions. ;) So, if one is sailing from Australia the port side would be the sunnier side of the ship for most of the cruise. Both sides will be equal for a while near the equator, but as the ship sails further north the starboard side will become sunnier.

Sailing from Asia across the North Pacific, the starboard side will be the one facing the equator and sunnier.

The answer depends upon if you are crossing the North Pacific or the South Pacific. The sun tends to stay over the equatorial regions. ;) So, if one is sailing from Australia the port side would be the sunnier side of the ship for most of the cruise. Both sides will be equal for a while near the equator, but as the ship sails further north the starboard side will become sunnier.

Sailing from Asia across the North Pacific, the starboard side will be the one facing the equator and sunnier.

thanks again - it is North Pacific - much appreciated:D

As it is exceedingly difficult to reach North America by crossing the South Pacific, I wisely deduced that Kazu had a North Pacific crossing in mind.

Mind you, I should have tempered my response by adding that it was based upon the assumption that the ship would not be steaming astern for the duration on the voyage.:D

Mike

As it is exceedingly difficult to reach North America by crossing the South Pacific, I wisely deduced that Kazu had a North Pacific crossing in mind.

Mind you, I should have tempered my response by adding that it was based upon the assumption that the ship would not be steaming astern for the duration on the voyage.:D

Mike

LOL - you deduced correctly:D:D:D

I've learned over the years here not to assume anything. I wouldn't even assume that the OP was sailing on HAL. ;) Many times I've seen posts from people who feel more 'comfortable' here asking about things like this when they are sailing on other lines.

Exceeding difficult is NOT impossible. Check out this sailing on the Oosterdam from Sydney to Vancouver. ;)

I know better than to make assumptions. :D

I've learned over the years here not to assume anything. I wouldn't even assume that the OP was sailing on HAL. ;) Many times I've seen posts from people who feel more 'comfortable' here asking about things like this when they are sailing on other lines.

Exceeding difficult is NOT impossible. Check out this sailing on the Oosterdam from Sydney to Vancouver. ;)

Yes, it is actually quite possible to be traveling in the South Pacific back to North America. The equator goes through Equador, Columbia, and Brazil. Those countries are not that far south of North America. The ship could spend the majority of its time in the South Pacific before heading up the coast of North America.

Hmmmm, are you assuming that I made an assumption, Mary Ellen?:p

Not so! I read another post by the OP elsewhere on CC saying that she was considering HAL's Kobe (Japan) - Vancouver (Canada) Transpacific. Making landfall in Kodiak before making its way south to Vancouver, the cruise most definitely takes a North Pacific route.

Now, about smoking on that cruise...:D:D:D

Mike

All I said was that I wasn't making assumptions and that I know not to do so. I do NOT speak for anyone else. ;) If you read something where I accused anyone of making an assumption, you've read something I didn't type. :D

That North Atlantic itinerary looks interesting, but I wouldn't place any bets that it would be sunny or warm while sailing along the Aleutians.

Hmmmm, are you assuming that I made an assumption, Mary Ellen?:p

Not so! I read another post by the OP elsewhere on CC saying that she was considering HAL's Kobe (Japan) - Vancouver (Canada) Transpacific. Making landfall in Kodiak before making its way south to Vancouver, the cruise most definitely takes a North Pacific route.

Now, about smoking on that cruise...

Mike

hmm - the only place I posted that was our roll call - am I being stalked:D or are you thinking of coming:D:D

What does smoking have to do with it:p:D

Ok Mary Ellen & Mike -save me some research - how cold will it be on the Transpacific crossing please:confused:

A brief description of the Aleutian weather:

"The windswept islands of the Aleutian Archipelago experience a wet and stormy maritime climate. Wind, fog, and rain are ubiquitous while sunny days are rare. The average temperature range during the summer is 7 – 14°C and during the winter is -3 – 3°C."

Kodiak's average daily temperatures in April are 0°C - 6°C.

Kobe is warmer, of course, with an average range of 11°C - 16°C in mid-April.

Beats New Brunswick (or Ottawa!) in winter, but you won't be sitting around the pool soaking up the sun!

Mike

"The windswept islands of the Aleutian Archipelago experience a wet and stormy maritime climate. Wind, fog, and rain are ubiquitous while sunny days are rare. The average temperature range during the summer is 7 – 14°C and during the winter is -3 – 3°C."

Beats New Brunswick (or Ottawa!) in winter, but you won't be sitting around the pool soaking up the sun!

Mike

certainly beats our weather now :eek: thanks so much for your AWESOME help - it is REALLY appreciated. Kobe sounds fine and as to Kodiak -it's not long and I can bear it:D i

Mike

Mike - I know one can never predict a crossing but it sounds like it could be cool to semi-cool one? am I making a mistake doing a veranda? thanks again - you've been huge help and I really appreciate it.

Mike - I know one can never predict a crossing but it sounds like it could be cool to semi-cool one? am I making a mistake doing a veranda? thanks again - you've been huge help and I really appreciate it.

Tough decision, but I suspect that if I was faced with the choice, I'd go with an ocean-view cabin. I think that it will be cooler and wetter than a typical Alaska cruise, and while I've not taken one, I've read comments suggesting that posters didn't get much use of their verandas.

The flip side is that if you do a collector cruise and spend the extra time in warmer climes before heading towards Kodiak, you'll probably enjoy having the veranda. I suppose you could book a different cabin for the second leg, but I'd hate to have to move.

I'm sure that whatever you decide you'll have a fabulous time!

Mike

I second what Fouremco said. I have cruised a route similar to yours across the Pacific (but going west), and I definitely would not think of veranda cabin as worth while. For that part of the cruise it will almost certainly NOT sit outside weather. As Mike said, the decision might be different if enough other parts of your cruise are in warmer climates.

Reminds me of the time we were upgraded to a veranda cabin on a cruise in the Northwest. I sat on the veranda several times with layers of clothes and still "freezing", just because it seemed I needed to use it since we had it. No enjoyment there, just stubbornness.

Any particular crossing in mind?

Roy

Yes, Volendam has a nice sailing - and yes, doing the collectors' cruise - leaves on March 31st and the transpacific (with some nice Japanese ports) leaves on April 14th - so we will have some nice warm climes.

Oh my, decisions, decisions:D

Thanks everyone - you have been fantastic to help me like this - it is very, very appreciated:)

I'm guessing my definition of "nice warm climes" differs from yours. ;) The average highs for Beijing the days you'll be there are 63-64 (17C) with lows of 41 (5C). Shanghai also has an average high of 63 the time the ship will be there. For the day you'll be in Tokyo, again the average high is 63 (17C), but the average low is warmer at 51. The two days you'll be in Osaka, look for average highs of 60 and 65 (15.5 and 18C). I know we wouldn't be sitting outside very long in those temperatures unless we were in the sun (if it is sunny) and on the leeward side of the ship. I consider those temperatures mild and would certainly be comfortable out and about in them. Actually, pretty good for touring, but not sitting out on a verandah. For me "warm" begins about 70F (21C).

Your cruise, your money, and your call. :)

I'm guessing my definition of "nice warm climes" differs from yours. ;) The average highs for Beijing the days you'll be there are 63-64 (17C) with lows of 41 (5C). Shanghai also has an average high of 63 the time the ship will be there. For the day you'll be in Tokyo, again the average high is 63 (17C), but the average low is warmer at 51. The two days you'll be in Osaka, look for average highs of 60 and 65 (15.5 and 18C). I know we wouldn't be sitting outside very long in those temperatures unless we were in the sun (if it is sunny) and on the leeward side of the ship. I consider those temperatures mild and would certainly be comfortable out and about in them. Actually, pretty good for touring, but not sitting out on a verandah. For me "warm" begins about 70F (21C).

Your cruise, your money, and your call. :)

Thanks:) if you compare that to our spot in Canada at that time of the year - that's very decent weather:D

Yes, I've got to really ponder the verandah thing

for me, in March, warm is anything than warmer here:)

it's -2 here and we're all thrilled to have 'warm' weather. Seriously, thank you for the help. Very sage advice and very helpful:)

Archived