Poll: Getting an Upgrade From a GTY Booking

JimmyVWine

Have you been upgraded from a Guaranteed Cabin Booking?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been upgraded from a Guaranteed Cabin Booking?

• Booked an Inside and stayed there.
    • Booked an Inside and got an OV.
    • Booked an Inside and got a Balcony.
    • Booked an OV and stayed there.
    • Booked an OV and got a Balcony.
    • Booked a Balcony and stayed there.
    • Booked a Balcony and got a Mini-Suite.

Very often people will post with joy about how they have booked a Guaranteed Cabin, and ended up with a higher meta category. It is natural to want to share this good news. But rarely do people post about how they booked a Guaranteed Cabin and ended up right where they started, though this is surely the more common result. So I thought that I would try to post a poll that would track these results. If all goes well, you can vote for as many options as apply so that even if you have had both circumstances apply to you, you can report on both. So here goes. If you have booked a Guaranteed Cabin, have you been moved up, or stayed where you started?

Thanks for the poll which will be interesting to view the results. I've only booked a GTY twice (both in the last 15 months)...a balcony & an inside and got just that even though in a higher category. I used my most recent experience with an inside but being able to vote only once I'm unable to include my same balcony experience.

Thanks for the poll which will be interesting to view the results. I've only booked a GTY twice (both in the last 15 months)...a balcony & an inside and got just that even though in a higher category. I used my most recent experience with an inside but being able to vote only once I'm unable to include my same balcony experience.

The poll is supposed to be set up to allow you to select as many options as apply. It does appear that people have been choosing multiple optioins.

We've only done the GTY (balcony) thing once. It was a last minute 7 night for Thanksgiving so we did it because we just wanted to get on the ship and have a balcony. Fortunately, we were lucky enough to be assigned a Caribe mid-ship cabin! :)

LuLu

~~~~

The poll is supposed to be set up to allow you to select as many options as apply. It does appear that people have been choosing multiple optioins.

I goofed by not noticing that it was a "multiple choice poll" before voting...my mistake. :o

Hopefully others learn from my mistake & select multiple experiences before voting & then seeing this statement.

"Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You have already voted on this poll"

Booked a balcony guarantee 3 times so far. The first 2 times we were upgraded to a much better cabin. Went from a F category to a AB both times. Now we are booked on the Royal for October and so far we are in a F category with no upgrades. But ya never know until we sail. I'm fine if we don't get a third upgrade. That's the chances you take.

I have had, and voted for, both OCV to another OCV and also OCV to balcony. The OCV to another OCV, however, was OCV to deluxe OCV and then deluxe OCV to window minisuite. I'd call both those meta upgrades, although others who have the balcony-or-nothing mindset might disagree . . . .

The OCV to another OCV, however, was OCV to deluxe OCV and then deluxe OCV to window minisuite. I'd call both those meta upgrades, although others who have the balcony-or-nothing mindset might disagree . . . .

Sorry for not including that option. That is definitely an upgrade, but I never even thought about a window MS because they are so rare. Thanks for your explanation.

I will let you know in about a week. Hopefully.

We were lucky to get downgraded on the first two Royal Princess cruises we booked as guarantees. We booked the only categories that were available and waitlisted for a lower category we really wanted. Before final payment we cleared the waitlist on the first, and yesterday, two days after final payment, we cleared the waitlist on the second. We couldn't get the same cabins for both, but are just two cabins away. That's great for us.

The third cruise is the question. There are no cabins available in the category we guaranteed and we are only willing to upgrade to the next higher cabin type (in this case, it would be from the lowest IS to a balcony). I know Princess could simply upgrade someone else from an IS to another IS, freeing up their cabin, but I can't wait to see how this works out.

I had no idea booking a guarantee provided such a sense of hope. It's like buying a lottery ticket.

I checked inside to OV ..... granted what I got is the lowest level of the OV category, which means, on the Pacific Princess I'll have a porthole. But I am pleased that I will wake up to natural light coming thru that porthole each morning for the same price as waking up each morning in total darkness!! :)

One other time I did a gaurantee for the lowest level of inside, booked 8 days before sailing at a fantastic price and ended up being upgraded to the highest level in the inside category. That location has become my favorite place to be when cruising solo and in an inside ... Lido deck.

On Princess we've done balcony guarantees and have always been 'upgraded' to a slightly better (according to Princess) balcony. Same goes for other cruise lines, except once on Carnival we were upgraded from a balcony to a mini.

I was confused by the poll; didn't know if you meant only Princess ships or not, so I voted more than once.

Very often people will post with joy about how they have booked a Guaranteed Cabin, and ended up with a higher meta category. It is natural to want to share this good news. But rarely do people post about how they booked a Guaranteed Cabin and ended up right where they started, though this is surely the more common result. So I thought that I would try to post a poll that would track these results. If all goes well, you can vote for as many options as apply so that even if you have had both circumstances apply to you, you can report on both. So here goes. If you have booked a Guaranteed Cabin, have you been moved up, or stayed where you started?

How do you set up a poll? We want to do one for a cruise in October and have no idea ho to go about it.:confused:

I will let you know in about a week. Hopefully.

We were lucky to get downgraded on the first two Royal Princess cruises we booked as guarantees. We booked the only categories that were available and waitlisted for a lower category we really wanted. Before final payment we cleared the waitlist on the first, and yesterday, two days after final payment, we cleared the waitlist on the second. We couldn't get the same cabins for both, but are just two cabins away. That's great for us.

The third cruise is the question. There are no cabins available in the category we guaranteed and we are only willing to upgrade to the next higher cabin type (in this case, it would be from the lowest IS to a balcony). I know Princess could simply upgrade someone else from an IS to another IS, freeing up their cabin, but I can't wait to see how this works out.

I had no idea booking a guarantee provided such a sense of hope. It's like buying a lottery ticket.

Will you have to pack everything back into your suitcases or will you be able to use some type of cart & how about all the clothes on hangers? We are moving from Riviera to Lido & wondered if we will have to pack everything back into the suitcases.

The only real upgrade (I do not consider a higher class in the same category a real upgrade) we got was our recent cruise on the Royal...inside to balcony (no outsides on the 'Royal) and my booking was marked Do Not Upgrade because we were next to family. No problem, though, just found it interesting! ;)

Will you have to pack everything back into your suitcases or will you be able to use some type of cart & how about all the clothes on hangers? We are moving from Riviera to Lido & wondered if we will have to pack everything back into the suitcases.

Ask for a cart to be delivered. We usually hang clothes on the cart, put toiletries and shoes back in suitcases, and throw a few things into tote bags. You don't have to do it all in one trip...we like to do it in a few trips and put things away with each trip.

Still no answer on ours...

How do you set up a poll? We want to do one for a cruise in October and have no idea ho to go about it.:confused:

When you start a new thread, below the box where you type in your text, there will be a place to indicate that you want to start a poll, and when you do that, it will walk you through the process.

While this poll is surely not scientific or comprehensive, the results so far show that if you book an Inside or an OV, you have about a 50-50 chance of moving up a level (or two). If you book a balcony, expect to stay in a balcony.

Just got our cabin for next week today. We went from a guar inside to a window. It's under Explorers..hope that we don't hear a lot of music from it. If we do, we'll just have to stay up later and join in the fun!

Archived