Helicopter vs Small Plane for the Fearful Flyer

catangeo

I've read many helpful and encouraging posts about fearful flyers flightseeing in Alaska. I am now determined (with the help of Xanax) to try for myself on our cruise next summer. My question is about helicopters vs float planes. What's the difference in the flying 'experience' in these 2 crafts? Is one better than another for someone with flying/falling issues?

I've read many helpful and encouraging posts about fearful flyers flightseeing in Alaska. I am now determined (with the help of Xanax) to try for myself on our cruise next summer. My question is about helicopters vs float planes. What's the difference in the flying 'experience' in these 2 crafts? Is one better than another for someone with flying/falling issues?

If you are worried about safety issues, thing about this. If a helicopter looses power at altitude, it is a brick and you will crash. If a small plane looses power at altitude, it becomes a glider, albeit a bad one, and the pilot stands a good chance of finding a place to put it down.

DON

If you are worried about safety issues, thing about this. If a helicopter looses power at altitude, it is a brick and you will crash. If a small plane looses power at altitude, it becomes a glider, albeit a bad one, and the pilot stands a good chance of finding a place to put it down.

DON

Some interesting visuals that brings to mind! :eek: More and more I'm liking my chances in the small plane/potential glider. Thank you.

Maybe search youtube videos for what is like to fly in each.

For Helos here is a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJvwshr6ryk

Sightcrr

Thanks, that was a good video link, and my husband has found a few more. He's really into doing the helicopter now but me...not so much (see other poster's 'drop like a brick' analogy.)

Not true. Helicopter pilot licensing requires a knowledge of how to use autorotation to enable safe landings in engine failure. Look at

for example to see how it's done.

For the OP, regardless of safety issues (which I would put even) I prefer fixed-wing flightseeing, as everybody gets a window seat (some choppers have middle seats) and to me the fun of water take-offs and landings is well worth it. Usually fixed-wing flights are cheaper, too, and don't usually carry the same weight restrictions as helicopters, of interest to those with more generous "bone structure," if you get my meaning. ;)

I'm not a fan of flying, period! BUT, it's the fastest way to get places and I love to travel so several times a year I suck it up and get on a jet. Can't say I've ever enjoyed it. Obviously, a helicopter and/or small plane were out of the question. Then one day, I 'accidentally' found myself on a small plane. I had taken a last minute trip on the ferry from Seattle to Skagway with the intent of flying home to Seattle. The flight from Skagway to Juneau was on a small prop plane, yikes! I was terrified when I got onboard and during takeoff, but once we were cruising, I couldn't help but enjoy it! You fly at a much lower altitude than a jet so you see the sights so well .... I could see all the boat traffic on the lynn canal, the glaciers on the mountains, small lakes and rivers. The pilot even dropped down to see a moose in a lake! It's offers such a lovely perspective to enjoy your surroundings . When we hit a little turbulence it didn't bother me; not like when I'm bouncing around inside a jet. I think the lower altitude made me feel safer ... I felt like if anything DID go wrong we could coast in for a landing.

Since then I've taken a few floatplane trips and really enjoy them! I love seeing the coastline, the ocean, beaches. Again, it's such a different perspective.

Still haven't tried a helicopter. Never say never, but it holds no interest. If I really want to see something and a helicopter was the only choice, I wouldn't let my fears get in the way.

Good luck with your decision. You'll enjoy it, either way.

Thanks for your replies.

The small planes are sounding better and better. I like the idea of a window seat, great views of spectacular scenery, and an altitude that's not extreme. Now I need to choose between Misty Fjords and Mt. McKinley flightseeing. Not sure I can budget for both. Any thoughts on why I should choose one over another?

Don't forget that 2/3s of the people that try to see Denali can't because of the weather. It could turn out to be a long flight to see some clouds. I haven't done M/F but if it matters my choice would be walking on a glacier from a short helo ride from near Juneau's airport or Skagway and save M/F for next time (I'm pretty sure that there will be a next time for you).

Sightcrr

I have flown in helicopters in Alaska and Hawaii. I have also flown in a small plane several times. The helicopters have a smoother flight than a small plane. Planes can experience wind shear or gusts that can blow you around. I prefer a helicopter over a small plane. But did have a good time flying flying in a sea plane out to see the bears during our time in Ketchikan.

I was terrified of the flight to Alaska...but after a couple hours in the air I was ok. But in Juneau we were scheduled to take a helicopter and land on a glacier...it was cancelled and I felt so relieved! We had also booked a float plane ride over Misty Fjords. I was so scared! I remember sitting in the plane before takeoff saying to myself...why did I do this? why did I do this? It was the highlight of our trip! It was the softest takeoff and landing EVER! The sights were beautiful and I would do it again in a minute! It was so cool to see everything from the air like we did...DO IT! you won't regret it!

I have flown many times in Alaska and have a lot of experience with both helicopters and planes. (husband was a partner with two others and a Cessna)

It has been clear to me, that there are people who should never have stepped foot on the plane. Time can stand still and there is no way out for you. And to think, depending on drugs, is the answer, may not be a good choice. It can be a miserable trip for everyone in certain situations. None of these tours are cheap.

It really requires some honest soul searching, that sometimes isn't done.

I have flown many times in Alaska and have a lot of experience with both helicopters and planes. (husband was a partner with two others and a Cessna)

It has been clear to me, that there are people who should never have stepped foot on the plane. Time can stand still and there is no way out for you. And to think, depending on drugs, is the answer, may not be a good choice. It can be a miserable trip for everyone in certain situations. None of these tours are cheap.

It really requires some honest soul searching, that sometimes isn't done.

Thanks for your insight. What you say is true, BQ, and part of my 'soul seaching' is done here on the cc board. My flying anxiety tends to be mostly pre-flight nervousness that can be lessened by xanax. I also take comfort in doing research ahead of time so I'll know fully what to expect. And hearing about the experience of others, particularly fellow fearful flyers, helps the logical part of my brain realize that others have gone before me and 'survived'. I have never yet had to cancel a flight because of anxiety, and as far as I know I've never affected anyone else's good time. That being said, I'll choose one flying adventure in Alaska being as prepared as possible and spend my other excursions on land and sea.

I'm someone who used to cry during take off on large commercial flights. I am still not the biggest fan of flying, but a few years ago I had to fly alone for work and accomplishing that decreased my anxiety. I have been on a float plane in Alaska and helicopters elsewhere. Both provided amazing scenery. The float plane allowed everyone an equal view. Although they remained empty during our flights, the helicopters did have middle seats that I would not have been happy to end up in. I have never felt sick on a helicopter while the float plane in Alaska made my stomach churn near the end.

If you think you can calm your nerves, it's definitely worth it. Years ago I was the person crying on the plane, and last year in Alaska I was the person crying on land because my helicopter ride and glacier walk had been cancelled.

While I'm certainly not in the "nervous about flying" category, I'm am researching the plane vs. helicopter options for a flight-seeing experience. When we scored a big price drop on our Alaska sailing, I vowed to spend the windfall on shore excursions that I otherwise would have bypassed due to price. So the question becomes, "if I only do one flight-seeing excursion, what would be the best one to pick?"

I flew commercially in Alaska for 12 years, light aircraft bush flying. Before I flew I worked as a mechanic/helper, one time in 1955 a helicopter came through, the pilot needed some help so asked me to ride along. It was only a 10 minute flight but that was the last time I was in a rotor wing until April 2013. Being a fixed wing pilot I listened to my collegues, too much, we were always sort of prejudice about the rotor wings. But over the years I noticed that in Hawaii and even here in Alaska the helicopter outfits were slowly dominating the flight seeing industry. I wondered why. There was a non-fatal helicopter sightseeing accident in Southeast Alaska about ten years or more ago that caused a little anxiety. It turned out that was the first safety board documented accident a rotor wing had down there, which amazed me as fixed wing accidents over the same statistical period were relatively commonplace. In my years of commercial flying I flew dozens and dozens of trips which were considered simply flightsees. I never had an accident of any type. But in April of last year my wife and I decided to take a helicopter flightsee on Kona. Here is what I reported in Tripadviser:

"It was a beautiful day, but even at that, due all the hot gas and stuff from the vents the volcano sort of makes its own weather. So there were stretches where the smog was rather thick. We stopped in Hilo to refuel, then continued on along the coast. Very spectacular waterfalls, one after another, all set in the beautiful rain forests on that side of the island, then you come to Waimanu Valley, wow. I've only been on a chopper once before and that was when I was 15 or 16. No wonder helicopters are taking over visitor flight seeing, the world over. Going slow and hovering about top vistas is the key. Blue Hawaiian gets an A plus in my book and I was in the airplane game all my life. Ask for pilot Greg. Excellent pilot with a personality and one who not only knows flying but island history and geography and isn't afraid to share."

Edited by kennicott

:D This is what I love about Cruise Critic. The broad range of experiences and insights that people are willing to share on these boards is fantastic. As for me and my original question, I'm still leaning toward the small plane experience but am keeping an open mind about helicopters. Thank you all for your comments.

INHO the feeling one experiences in a helicopter is very different than flying whether a larger or small plan. The very fact it's a rotary flight makes take off and landing both the feeling and prospective very different.

As to safety, both can be safe or more risky, I think the quality of vendor and the maintenance of the equipment as well as the skill of the pilot.

My experience on several Alaskan and and Hawaiian helicopters was that the equipment and pilots were top notch. Somehow I have the feeling that is easier to get by with older and dodgier training when it comes to flying...

I'd always choose helicopter for the ability to land and hover at sights than a small fixed wing aircraft.

I previously posted regarding chopper sight seeing and mentioned my flying experience. About half was in seaplanes. Actually I prefer flying floats over wheels, maybe because I was born and raised on the coast. However, I also really liked bush work with the small aircraft on tundra tires and very short natural landing strips.

In my opinion, from a piloting skill standpoint there isn't much difference between floats, wheel and skis. On skis, in good snow conditions, a pilot can be very sloppy during landing and get away with it.

From a sightseeing perspective with fixed wing, the high wing aircraft are the best, floats tend to obscure a good downward view slightly. Also, it is for some passengers more difficult to get in and out of a floatplane.

Here is a pertinent previous thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2060246

DON

as a helicopter and fixed wing pilot this is definitely not true.

In regards to what is better think of the view and how many people you will have with you. Most sightseeing planes would have two side by side seats, potentially with an aisle in the middle (like a cessna caravan). However some helicopters like A-Stars, Jet rangers etc will have 3 seats so someone will be in the middle, and with a much poorer view if you're in the back seat. Offsetting that is that the helicopter can stop and hover/land almost anywhere to see wildlife and other awesome things and if i have a choice between gliding to a landing in the mountains with an airplane at 60 mph plus or auto-rotating a helicopter, id take the helicopter any day. I know i can put mine down in the size of a parking spot with no roll out like a plane.

Either way, flying is by far the safest way to get around including driving. Its a great time, put the phobia aside (my wife always gets mad when i say that to her) and get lost in the moment and you'll be fine. Have a great flight

I agree, that the statement a helicopter turns into a rock upon losing power is false. Normally they simply auto-rotate down to a soft landing and don't have to worry about a roll out over rough ground. A fixed wing however has to glide down to a landing, that is true, however, it must maintain air speed in order to avoid a stall, therefore the aircraft touches down at a fairly high rate of speed, sometimes onto very hostile terrain.

The only time a helicopter would turn into a rock if it loses an air foil, like a main rotor. Fixed wing the same way, if you shed a wing, you become a rock. Now, not to worry, circumstances like these are extremely unlikely. I have been in the airplane game all my life and am hard pressed to recall any examples.

Some fixed wing aircraft do have middle seats which are poor for viewing, e.g. de Havilland Beaver. Try always to get a high wing aircraft if you go sightseeing as looking down through a wing doesn't get it.

I was presently surprised last year when we took the chopper in Hawaii. It was a Eco-Star, Blue Hawaiian the operator, which carried 6 passengers. Two up front beside the pilot and four abreast in back. Now, it might seem that the two in the middle back might have a bad viewing experience. However, the company handled it this way. There were three women and three men. I'm only 5'9'' but I was the second tallest so I got one of the middle back seats. My wife was to my left next to the window. I had not only an excellent view over her, but I also had a pretty good view to my right even with a tall guy right next to me. Better yet, due to the way the seats were situated up front I had an excellent forward view including down through the forward floor area. Plus, I got to see the instrument panel too, so I knew what was going on there. In a way, the left back middle seat I had was better than the three passenger window seats, the only better seat would have been the forward middle seat, pilot on the left and another passenger on the right.

It seems those helicopters have glass everywhere, fixed wing not so much.

Edited by kennicott

I autorotated onto a road in rush hour traffic in 2011 after a low side governor failure and walked away. The helicopter is much safer. I flew in AK. for a while as well and my passengers were always happy when we were able to slow down and circle some sight such as wildlife. Enjoy!