Dinner Suits on Discovery

Hi....can anyone please tell me if dinner suits are worn on Discovery...if so is it the majority or minority. Just seen a photo of a young couple on Discovery and he is wearing a dinner suit.

I sort of thought there would be no formal nights on Discovery....no problem if there is just want to be prepared.

Hi,I normally wear a dinner suit on other lines.This may not be possible next year as we board in Corfu and the Thomson air allowance is only 20kg,cheers,Brian.

Yes we always wear " formal" wear on other cruise lines....even when we did fly cruises....was thinking on Marella they only had " Dress To Impress" evenings...as I stated it isn't a problem to us just want to go prepared

Have been on the Discovery twice now and for the dress to impress night you see all sorts ranging from normal smart casual wear and no jacket right up to the full outfit – it’s your choice. I am the smart casual type and have no intentions of dressing up on holiday so less to pack.

Have been on the Discovery twice now and for the dress to impress night you see all sorts ranging from normal smart casual wear and no jacket right up to the full outfit – it’s your choice. I am the smart casual type and have no intentions of dressing up on holiday so less to pack.

Dressing up is part of the cruise experience for us so my Better Half always wears his DJ. On Discovery 2 in May (Mediterranean) it was probably 60/40 between smart casual and dinner suit but last month (on D2 round the Canaries) there were more men in DJs than not. Wear what you feel comfortable in.

Dressing up is part of the cruise experience for us so my Better Half always wears his DJ. On Discovery 2 in May (Mediterranean) it was probably 60/40 between smart casual and dinner suit but last month (on D2 round the Canaries) there were more men in DJs than not. Wear what you feel comfortable in.

We were also on Discovery 2 in October and agree with Campolady that there were many men in formal attire and ladies also dressed formally although not that many 'gowns'. Easy enough to pack within 20kg airline allowance if you take travel sized shampoos etc.and (shock horror.......) cut back on shoes !!!!

I am a serial overpacker, struggling to stay within 20kg, who has benefited from reading the' Vivienne Files', but still after more than 25 cruises, bring back far too many unworn items. I like to have ]choices.

Bon voyage !

I've seen in the past women dressed to nines and looking wonderful only to be let down by far too casual attire being worn by their partners. It would be better if their outfits matched and preferably that the men make more if an effort imo My hubby doesn't wear a DJ but he does wear a jacket, shirt and tie, smart linen trousers and boat shoes. This means he doesn't have to pack an extra pair of heavy shoes (black) as he travels in his good quality boat shoes His jacket is lightweight and a tie weighs next to nothing Come on gents make the same effort as the ladies please

Its all part of the cruise - to dress up a couple of nights - cannot say its any inconvenience to us, just part of the cruise experience. With P&O you cannot use certain areas without wearing DJ on specified nights.

On Captains night on Dream and Celebration you can't go in the MDR for the 2 set sittings if inappropriately dressed and on any other night supposedly but this recently hasn't been enforced.

I assume that as there are more eating areas on the Discoveries this would be difficult to enforce on dress to impress nights and also the Intro to the Captain and staff is done in the Atrium so different rules

IMO, if you are going on holiday and like to dress-up, dress-up. If you don't like to dress-up don't. Its your holiday, you deserve it. Have Fun and enjoy.

Exactly this

Me,no inclination to go to,be involved in or get dressed up in DJ or whatever for Captains night/ formal nights although I,m smart but casual every night

Whatever floats your boat

Just returned from the D2 TA and there were 2 dress to impress nights.

For the first time I didn't take a DJ and wore a smart light jacket, button down collar smart shirt, no tie, dark trousers and formal shoes. I must admit that felt totally in keeping with everyone else who were varied, some in DJs, others in jackets with ties, some in smart shirts. They all seem to mix well.

All the ladies looked great in dresses and skirts and tops, again a nice mix which worked.

I have sometimes felt, on other lines, that the penguin colony on formal nights can seem quite pretentious, but on the Discoveries the formal night felt more relaxed.

We also found that with the Discovery ships having the pool bar open in the evening in the tropics we tended to drift out there in the warm air for a late drink, so wearing a DJ could be a bit inhibiting.

Formal nights for me are very much part of cruising - and something I enjoy. However, for my Thomson cruise in January, I will take a linen jacket to wear with smart trousers, shirt & tie for Dress to Impress night. I decided that as it is only a week and likely that many will not take DJ etc to the Caribbean, I will go a bit more relaxed.