T-mobile experience on Rhine River

sunfan03

Does anyone have T-mobile personal experience while cruising the Rhine river? Specifically, what kind of coverage (if any) do you have while actually on the Rhine river?

We've had T-mobile for years and it worked awesome when we were in Spain and Italy last fall (loved the free 4g data and texting). I'm pretty confident we'll have data coverage when we're in port, but curious about what kind of coverage will be available while actually on the boat - e.g. for texting back home primarily.

We head out in 10 days on Viking Kara from Amsterdam to Basel :D

Should be no problem as along the Rhine river there are a lot of cities and villages. The coverage should be pretty fine maybe slow in some areas (H+ and no LTE).

I had no problems between Cologne and Rüdesheim (I don´t have T-Mobile but that makes no difference as the coverage of T-Mobile is even better than of my provider).

steamboats

I would expect good coverage. You are probably aware of the fact that T-Mobile will "throttle" your connection so that it will be significantly slower than it is in the U.S. For details, see my earlier post giving results of speed tests along the Rhone.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2494726&highlight=T-Mobile

I would expect good coverage. You are probably aware of the fact that T-Mobile will "throttle" your connection so that it will be significantly slower than it is in the U.S. For details, see my earlier post giving results of speed tests along the Rhone.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2494726&highlight=T-Mobile

If the OP is mostly interested in texting as he/she noted, then speeds shouldn't be an issue.

Does anyone have T-mobile personal experience while cruising the Rhine river? Specifically, what kind of coverage (if any) do you have while actually on the Rhine river?

We've had T-mobile for years and it worked awesome when we were in Spain and Italy last fall (loved the free 4g data and texting). I'm pretty confident we'll have data coverage when we're in port, but curious about what kind of coverage will be available while actually on the boat - e.g. for texting back home primarily.

We head out in 10 days on Viking Kara from Amsterdam to Basel :D

We did Amsterdam to Basel in May, and our T-Mobile phones worked fine. Each country border we passed, we were greeted with the "Welcome to [Germany, France or Switzerland]" text message. FYI T-Mobile no longer is offering the promotional free LTE-speed service in Europe, so if you are on the regular T-Mobile One plan, you will get throttled to 3G speeds (my phone often said LTE, but I never really checked speeds). But that never really hindered us, except while trying to use Google maps while we were walking around Amsterdam. But most cafes there have free wifi, so not really that much of a hinderance. If I had to do it again, I would have pre-downloaded the Google maps for each stop to my phone, which would avoid some of that problem.

We did Amsterdam to Basel in May, and our T-Mobile phones worked fine. Each country border we passed, we were greeted with the "Welcome to [Germany, France or Switzerland]" text message. FYI T-Mobile no longer is offering the promotional free LTE-speed service in Europe, so if you are on the regular T-Mobile One plan, you will get throttled to 3G speeds (my phone often said LTE, but I never really checked speeds). But that never really hindered us, except while trying to use Google maps while we were walking around Amsterdam. But most cafes there have free wifi, so not really that much of a hinderance. If I had to do it again, I would have pre-downloaded the Google maps for each stop to my phone, which would avoid some of that problem.

Thanks for the reminder on the promo - I forgot that we availed of it in Italy last year. And good tip on pre-downloading the Google maps head of time. I'll plan on doing that at the hotel before we venture out for Amsterdam/Basel day trips.

Did you use google maps in each of the ports too?