Silver Spirits Beverage Packageed

sabrefan

I am much more a wine drinker than mixed drinks or beer but Wow. What an unimpressive wines by the glass list. Disappointing for sure. They are really inferior. Just check some of the retail prices and my point is made. I would have thought SS Package would have opened up a much better selection.

Thank you for sharing. I guess best to be forewarned.

Only my opinion, but if a $10 retail bottle of Pinot is their best recommendation to go with steak, that is pretty darned sad.

I really appreciate your taking the time to do this Clay Clayton.

Edited by Vineyard View

Best recommendation within the package and it was actually quite a good match. More full bodied than any Pinot I had tasted previously. On its own I wouldn’t like it but the pairing was quite good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes---thank you ClayClayton for your posts. I am doing the TA on the 27th so your info is really helpful.

As is your CruiseBlog with all the fabulous photos.

Would you mind if I posted a link to your blog on the Roll Call for the March 27th San Juan-Barcelona?

You have so much detail that is helpful regarding food, time change, weather, etc.

Yes---thank you ClayClayton for your posts. I am doing the TA on the 27th so your info is really helpful.

As is your CruiseBlog with all the fabulous photos.

Would you mind if I posted a link to your blog on the Roll Call for the March 27th San Juan-Barcelona?

You have so much detail that is helpful regarding food, time change, weather, etc.

I am following Clays blog too! It is so helpful.

The list of liquor and various cocktails are just fine with me. Look forward to sipping some of them on our TA cruise.

I can drink some of the white wine by glass. Will buy a bottle of Cava when we get across the pond. I like that Viking does not have a corkage fee or limits what you can bring aboard.

Thanks Clay for providing these lists.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Glad to help, just paying it forward.

Please feel free to link any and everywhere. Mike says if our retir...ahem post work Budget doesn’t work out we are gonna have to figure out how to monetize the blog so the more followers the better! LOL

Thank you Clay. Good information. Like you after looking at available wines, I would have gravitated towards Malbec. Go figure - but I will remember this recommendation.

Some itineraries are more conducive to bringing wine on board or buying in ports. Some not so much so. (Caribbean, Amazon, Baltic’s). I do admit that I am a bit of a wine snob. And I am okay with that - so this has me thinking that I may just have to venture into their cocktail list and see what I might find!:') I do know I won’t let this ruin my vacation, and knowing ahead is very helpful.

We hemmed and hawed over whether to buy the package or not since we had OBC to spare and finally decided that while we are unlikely to save any money given the low cost per drink, that it does let’s us be more daring. Mike has discovered he likes Campari and I tried one of the Armagnacs which I likely wouldn’t have done otherwise. Added bonus is that they pour premium wines for the pairings in the Chef’s Table. Below is the wine list from the French Menu. The standard pairings are on the menu a photo of which is also below. Not a winophile here but

At Bars-I will check at Torshavn tonight to see if they have any others

Glenfiddich Single Malt. $8

Aberlour, Single Malt, 10 yr. $8

Beer. All $5 except the last three

Carlsburg Draft

Budweiser

Light Beer

Corona

Grimberger Double Dark

Carnegie Porter

Brooklyn Lager

Kronenburg 1664

Peroni

Warsteiner

Ringnes Pilsner

AEgir Rallare Amber Ale

Boyle Blonde Ale

AEgir India Pale Ale

Thanks for this! My husband saw a few that interested him. Thanks to everyone else who posted beer and drink lists. It's very helpful!

Thank you Clay. Good information. Like you after looking at available wines, I would have gravitated towards Malbec. Go figure - but I will remember this recommendation.

Some itineraries are more conducive to bringing wine on board or buying in ports. Some not so much so. (Caribbean, Amazon, Baltic’s). I do admit that I am a bit of a wine snob. And I am okay with that - so this has me thinking that I may just have to venture into their cocktail list and see what I might find!:') I do know I won’t let this ruin my vacation, and knowing ahead is very helpful.

We probably should be wine snobs but we're not :D We both worked for a number of years for Winebow - Leonardo Lo Cascio's company. Of course, one of the benefits of working there was the wine store where we could buy wines with stained labels from a bottle being broken in shipment at very cheap prices. And we could also order wine at a very nice discount. I like expensive wines and can appreciate them, but we've had cheap wines that tasted pretty good as well.

One of our salesman would give advice on wine if we asked, but mostly he'd say, tastes good and will get you drunk :)

Clay Clayton, you are wonderful! Thanks so much for posting the lists. I see there were some cocktails included for Torshavn, is that the complete list for the ship? If I go to a bar outside Torshavn, can I get more choice of included cocktails? I love cosmo's and mojito's on a hot summers day!

Thank you for the laugh Cyber Kat! Love it. I am spoiled. I admit it. And I know that I am very fortunate. I worked in the Industry and live in the middle of some amazing wine country.

Clay Clayton, I wonder if one asked, if the premium wine pours included with the SS Package at Chefs Table could be poured outside of that venu for SS Package holders? And I like your idea about trying different drinks just because you can.....you never know where that might expand your enjoyment of beverages!

Clay Clayton, you are wonderful! Thanks so much for posting the lists. I see there were some cocktails included for Torshavn, is that the complete list for the ship? If I go to a bar outside Torshavn, can I get more choice of included cocktails? I love cosmo's and mojito's on a hot summers day!

Apologies, I just found a comprehensive cocktail list earlier on this thread!

FWIW, we hadn't planned on buying the Silver Spirits package because as other's have said, Viking's cocktail prices are so reasonable but our TA included an onboard credit for our spring transatlantic and since other than massages, we can't figure out what we would use it for, we are now planning on buying the SS package once we board. Like others have said, this will upgrade the wines at meals which will be welcome but not necessary and will us to try some new things...thanks VNB2003 for mentioning Armagnac, I was worried it might not be covered...but glad to hear it is. Looking forward to trying it out, especially after watching Karine's video about it...speaking of Karine, shall I plan on her greeting me each morning at breakfast, or does she only come out at night? LOL

I do have to disagree with VNB2003 about the inroom consumption. I was pleased to learn that buying the package means our mini bar will get replenished, I feel sure we will enjoy at least ONE afternoon on the balcony sipping a G&T!

I was confused about the mini bar replenishments and so I asked Viking (tellus email). If you are in a DV1 category or below the mini bar does not have any alcohol stocked. All categories above DV1 get their mini bar replenished with alcohol with or without the SSBP. Also, you can only get glasses of wines with the package. No bottles of wine included. There seems to be a lot of confusion about the package. Hopefully, when purchasing onboard the ‘rules’ are made very clear so people know what they are purchasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One would hope but not really. And check your bill, we were charged for 14 days rather than the 13 we should have been. No issue to correct but I wonder if it would have been if another CruiseCritic hadn’t told me it happened to him.

I must say the the ingredients for a Mojito are perfect!

Exactly the way I make mine.Brown sugar is the secret and mulling the mint an lime.

I got the recipe from a friend of mine.

I will have one at sailaway in 15 days in San Juan.

Cheers:hearteyes:

I was confused about the mini bar replenishments and so I asked Viking (tellus email). If you are in a DV1 category or below the mini bar does not have any alcohol stocked. All categories above DV1 get their mini bar replenished with alcohol with or without the SSBP. Also, you can only get glasses of wines with the package. No bottles of wine included.

I thought only PV1and above have their mini bar automatically restocked? We had PV1 previously and that was the case, but we have DV4 on next trip.

Or is the difference that PV1 and up is restocked at no charge without SS Package, and with the Package DV2and up is restocked at no charge? :eek:

And can you order more than one glass of wine at a time delivered to your room if you have the Package

I agree Azulann.....they do make an excellent Mojito!

Will be sailing on transatlantic cruise in November for the first time on Viking. Looking at the Silver Spirits Beverage Package that they offer which costs $219/pp. Wondering if this is worth while since there is beer and wine available at lunch and dinner?

On the Viking web site the package description says that the mini bar is replenished daily. We have a deluxe verandah cabin and I wonder if they put alcohol in your mini bar if you buy the Silver SpiritsPackage?

Looking for experienced feedback on this.

They do not put alcohol in your mini bar. Only for PV and above. I asked Viking that specific question and that was their answer. Not sure why their website says that when it’s wrong. Misleading. Keep in mind that you can wait until you board to decide. Look at the wine list and cocktails on the bar menu and try the included wines etc. Then make your decision. You may like the included wines. If so then the package might not be worth the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I must say the the ingredients for a Mojito are perfect!

Exactly the way I make mine.Brown sugar is the secret and mulling the mint an lime.

I got the recipe from a friend of mine.

I will have one at sailaway in 15 days in San Juan.

Cheers:hearteyes:

Don't forget Havana Club preferably 7 years....yum :halo:

Don't forget Havana Club preferably 7 years....yum :halo:

Thank you.

I will make a note of of it.

"Havana Club... 7 yrs"

My drink of choice when I get to our hotel El Convento in San Juan after a long flight too..

• 1 month later...

I’m struggling to find out whether champagne is included in the SSBP, I read on one review that all drinks up to the value of $15 are inclusive and I also read one another blog that champagne was around $9 per/glass, so I assume it is included. It is rather strange that the package details are not clearly specified anywhere and not even on the application form!