Questions regarding our upcoming cruise......

Scrap Addict

New to Oceania, but not cruising. Mymom and I will doing a 35 day Beijing to Sydney cruise in a fewweeks, and I have a few questions....

1. On our normal cruise line (Holland), you can get free meclizine from the medical clinic through out the cruise. Does Oceania offer that, or should I buy up prior to the cruise.
  2. Does Oceania Club recognize points earned at the start of the cruise? Since this is a 35 night cruise, based on their chart, we would be a level blue cruiser and “entitled” to a 10% discount to logo wear. That would be nice to use on the cruise! :)
  3. Are the shampoo/conditioner/lotions replaced through out the cruise? I've actually sailed on the Regatta when it was called R2 (Renaissance) many, many years ago. We had shampoo when we boarded, but it was never replaced/refilled. I know it's a different company now, but believe the “main man” was with Renaissance too, soooo......
  4. Is it okay to use the showers in the gym/spa? We are in a C1 – Deluxe Ocean View. And having been on the R2, I know the shower in the cabin is small!
  5. Since we're only in category C1, our we still allowed to ordered of off the MDR or Speciality Restaurant's menu for dinner room service?
  6. On my other cruises, I could print out luggage tags & boarding passes from the cruise line website. I've completed the Guest Registration Forms, but see no options to print the tags or passes. We booked this cruise very spur of the moment/last minute so I don't know if we'll receive anything our TA or Oceania?
  7. Since this cruise is a segmant of the World Cruise, will there be an “world cruisers” vs. “newbies” mentality on the ship?

Cheers!

New to Oceania, but not cruising. Mymom and I will doing a 35 day Beijing to Sydney cruise in a fewweeks, and I have a few questions....

1. On our normal cruise line (Holland), you can get free meclizine from the medical clinic through out the cruise. Does Oceania offer that, or should I buy up  prior to the cruise.

We did on a cruise that had a lot of rough seas, but that's no guarantee they always do it. We got them at Guest Relations

2. Does Oceania Club recognize points earned at the start of the cruise? Since this is a 35 night cruise, based on their chart, we would be a level blue cruiser and “entitled” to a 10% discount to logo wear. That would be nice to use on the cruise! :)

You should get it.

3. Are the shampoo/conditioner/lotions replaced through out the cruise? I've actually sailed on the Regatta when it was called R2 (Renaissance) many, many years ago. We had shampoo when we boarded, but it was never replaced/refilled. I know it's a different company now, but believe the “main man” was with Renaissance too, soooo......

Yes, they always have for us.

4. Is it okay to use the showers in the gym/spa? We are in a C1 – Deluxe Ocean View. And having been on the R2, I know the shower in the cabin is small!

I think so, I've never used them but have read where others have.

5. Since we're only in category C1, our we still allowed to ordered of off the MDR or Speciality Restaurant's menu for dinner room service?

Not the Specialties, and I don't think the MDR, but you can order off room service menu.

6. On my other cruises, I could print out luggage tags & boarding passes from the cruise line website. I've completed the Guest Registration Forms, but see no options to  print the tags or passes. We booked this cruise very spur of the moment/last minute so I don't know if we'll receive anything our TA or Oceania?

They've always sent them to us.

7. Since this cruise is a segmant of the World Cruise, will there be an “world cruisers” vs. “newbies” mentality on the ship?

Don't know

Cheers!

Hope this comes out right, seemed odd when I typed it in.

Edited by ORV

Per Renaissance, we had three cruises with them 1999-2001 and I recall that the shampoo was ALWAYS replaced ... we weren't in particularly elite cabins back then, either.

Could you have had a lazy room attendant?

Just thought regarding luggage tags... We received a lovely booklet which I thought was a brochure for future cruises. I was about to toss it when I saw our names printed on it. I then realized it was specific to our cruise and our luggage tags were in the back. I'd be on the lookout for that booklet.

Happy sailing!:cool::cool:

:cool:clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

What was the timing for the luggage tags? We're 3 weeks out for our cruise, but I haven't received any. I'm not too worried - I know we'll still get on the ship without them - but it's kind of nice to handle the "merchandise" and dream.....

Cheers.

What was the timing for the luggage tags? We're 3 weeks out for our cruise, but I haven't received any. I'm not too worried - I know we'll still get on the ship without them - but it's kind of nice to handle the "merchandise" and dream.....

Cheers.

You should have them by now. Did you get the document package? Ours is always in the back of it. Have your TA check.

Of course they'll give you some at the pier.

Per Renaissance, we had three cruises with them 1999-2001 and I recall that the shampoo was ALWAYS replaced ... we weren't in particularly elite cabins back then, either.

Could you have had a lazy room attendant?

Greetings, Mura, from South Beach. Our first cruise on O was Insignia in 2004. Just as you've experienced, Mura, our amenities were not only replaced, but I liked the shower gel and said so. After that, there were always doubles. I happily took the leftovers home. Long ago, I discovered that shower gels on cruise ships don't sting the eyes. If some do, I haven't run into them.

Having sailed six cruises on O, the stateroom service was always first rate. Our last O trip was Insignia 2015, on a Panama Canal transit. The ship had been very recently renovated in its original style that I call English Country House. We loved it in '04 and also in '15. Too bad stateroom wiring wasn't also renovated.

Mary

Here's a link to the post I always share when someone comes on this board with missing luggage tags:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49195324&postcount=7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I just got off the Marina and thought that my experience could help here. I was in a Vista suite. I had to ask for the shampoo and conditioner to be refilled after getting down to the bottom of the existing bottle. I was told that it was a policy change but not sure if that is really the case.

Even if it is a policy change, just ask your stateroom attendant to refill when you are getting low. They replaced one for one though....something to think about for ladies.

Denise

Hi all!

I just got off the Marina and thought that my experience could help here. I was in a Vista suite. I had to ask for the shampoo and conditioner to be refilled after getting down to the bottom of the existing bottle. I was told that it was a policy change but not sure if that is really the case.

Even if it is a policy change, just ask your stateroom attendant to refill when you are getting low. They replaced one for one though....something to think about for ladies.

Denise

Do they actually refill the containers ??

We have always gotten a fresh bottle when needed or even before it was empty

we are usually in the A-C cabins so cannot imagine someone in a top suite having to beg for new bottles of shampoo etc

They did give us a new bottle, LOL!

But, we had to ask. I use one of those bottles every two days so I finally asked to two bottles of conditioner. They did give me two. I wasn't trying to steal them...just wanted to have some available for when the bottle was empty.

It was strange and I left feedback on the comment card. They did not refill a single bottle without specifically requesting it.

They did give us a new bottle, LOL!

But, we had to ask. I use one of those bottles every two days so I finally asked to two bottles of conditioner. They did give me two. I wasn't trying to steal them...just wanted to have some available for when the bottle was empty.

It was strange and I left feedback on the comment card. They did not refill a single bottle without specifically requesting it.

This doesn't sound like any experience we've ever had on Oceania.

Maybe requiring so much had a little to do with it, but it still shouldn't have happened.

I actually didn't ask for anything until I was completely out of shampoo and conditioner.

In the past, Oceania has always refilled the bottles immediately. If you put two bottles in the shower, there would be three bottles replaced in the basket (the Vista suite has a huge basket). However, this was not the case on the Marina as of Monday. There were two bottles of conditioner, one big bottle of shampoo and one big bottle of lotion. I put the shampoo and two bottles of conditioner in the shower. When the conditioner was 100% gone, I asked if they could refill it. It was not refilled before that request.

Not asking for anything extra...just asking for new shampoo and conditioner when it was completely gone.

I was told that this was a change made across the fleet in the past few weeks.

Our soap broke in half, leaving us with a silly little piece to use. I expected to be given a new soap, but nothing happened until after a couple of days I gave up and left a note asking for one. Must admit, I wasn’t very impressed! They have obviously been told not to hand out more than the initial batch of toiletries if they can manage to avoid doing so. Other cheaper cruise lines don’t seem as stingy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just for the record we were in an OC this past November on Marina and always had plenty of shampoos, etc. Never had to ask.

Actually, we did make one request -- we prefer the shampoo to the combo shampoo/body wash (or whatever they call it), so we asked our cabin attendant if she had plain shampoo. She brought us the last four bottles ...

It's certainly possible this is a very recent change, but certainly a distressing one. Since October 2011 we've been in two Vistas, two aft OCs and one PH on Marina and NEVER had to ask for any bathroom supplies.

Mura

I have sailed in both Oceania and Vista suites and until the cruise that I just disembarked this past Monday, I never had to ask for a refill.

When I asked about it, I was told that this change was made across the fleet in February/March.

Not sure if this is definitely true or not. I just know my personal experience from the Marina cruise from March 7-March 19.

I just wanted folks to be aware so they know they need to request it moving forward....if it was in fact a change that was made fleet-wide.

Hi Denise,

We are on the same cruise and our booklet with the luggage tags arrived over 2 weeks ago. If you haven’t done it yet, contact your TA. The TA should be able to get Oceania to Fedex your documents to you. A few cruises ago, our documents got lost in the mail and this is how we finally received the.

You can shower in the spa area. Towels, shampoo, conditioner and robes are provided.

Your room steward will give you new shampoo and conditioner when it runs low, if not just ask.

You should plan to bring your own sea sick meds. The ship may have them but not for your whole cruise, and I know that the gift shop has them.

I don’t think you can order off the specialty or even MDR menus for room service in the lower than penthouse categories. I believe that there is a special room service menu, but the room is so small, why bother.

Have fun, don’t worry about RTW vs. newbies.

Hi Denise,

We are on the same cruise and our booklet with the luggage tags arrived over 2 weeks ago. If you haven’t done it yet, contact your TA. The TA should be able to get Oceania to Fedex your documents to you. A few cruises ago, our documents got lost in the mail and this is how we finally received the.

You can shower in the spa area. Towels, shampoo, conditioner and robes are provided.

Your room steward will give you new shampoo and conditioner when it runs low, if not just ask.

You should plan to bring your own sea sick meds. The ship may have them but not for your whole cruise, and I know that the gift shop has them.

I don’t think you can order off the specialty or even MDR menus for room service in the lower than penthouse categories. I believe that there is a special room service menu, but the room is so small, why bother.

Have fun, don’t worry about RTW vs. newbies.

GB, Concierge class has a new perk that allows them to order from the MDR menu for lunch and dinner, but like you said, the room is so small why bother.

As the OP is in an Oceanview it's a moot point.

1ST O cruise on Regatta, april 2016 -- toiletries were given every couple of days -- lots of them -- even though we did not need replacements. 2nd O cruise on Marina, Mar 2017 -- toiletries were not given out as freely -- IMO probably because O was sold to NCLH . We did get replacements only when extremely low.

The other thing -- on marina in 2017 -- bulgari products were markedly different -- very low on scent -- even the soap -- compared to 2016. IMO another directive from NCLH corp to Bulgari to use less scent.

Still have some lotion and conditioner from 2016 -- had many, many extras to take home -- and it is still as fragrant as when issued -- just terrific.

1ST O cruise on Regatta, april 2016 -- toiletries were given every couple of days -- lots of them -- even though we did not need replacements. 2nd O cruise on Marina, Mar 2017 -- toiletries were not given out as freely -- IMO probably because O was sold to NCLH . We did get replacements only when extremely low.

The other thing -- on marina in 2017 -- bulgari products were markedly different -- very low on scent -- even the soap -- compared to 2016. IMO another directive from NCLH corp to Bulgari to use less scent.

Still have some lotion and conditioner from 2016 -- had many, many extras to take home -- and it is still as fragrant as when issued -- just terrific.

And sometimes we see what we want to see, to justify what we believe.

There are 4 different styles of Blvgari products that Oceania uses. Perhaps they weren't the same ones.

I do agree though that there have been changes. I'm not sure the formulation of the shampoo has been one.

The changes have been fairly subtle so far, things that long time guests would notice, and not grumble too much about, and new or one or two times guests would never notice.

With the Oceania Club changes coming up they are becoming less subtle. Maybe someone should start a thread about changes they've seen in the last year or so.

NCLH took over in 2014 so not what your point is

Did you have the same cabin Cat for both cruises the Bulgari products are different in the higher categories