Oh Canada! Our Carnival Sunshine New England/Canada cruise (with pics) 9/3/2016

Jamman54

Thanks for the great review! Trying to decide which cruise to book next. The 2 contenders are Bermuda or NE/ Canada. After reading your review and the beginning of Gapearl review I'm no closer to deciding.

Hope to run in to Patti and you on the Pride in Feb/March. So looking forward to relaxing on the Journey cruise. It's taken me a month to catch following our action packed trip to Barcelona and cruise on the Vista.

I wish I had half as much writing talent as you and Patti's pictures are fabulous.

Bermuda is fabulous - absolutely #1 on my favorite places list - but we fly in and stay. Even though you usually get 2 nights in port, it's never enough.

The Canada itinerary is fun because it's different. If you pick the right time, it's not cold.

Thanks for the great review! Trying to decide which cruise to book next. The 2 contenders are Bermuda or NE/ Canada. After reading your review and the beginning of Gapearl review I'm no closer to deciding.

Hope to run in to Patti and you on the Pride in Feb/March. So looking forward to relaxing on the Journey cruise. It's taken me a month to catch following our action packed trip to Barcelona and cruise on the Vista.

I wish I had half as much writing talent as you and Patti's pictures are fabulous.

Thanks for reading! You can't go wrong with either Bermuda or New England / Canada. Both are unique cruises.

I'm sure we will run into each other some time during our Pride cruise. If you see us be sure to stop us and say hello. Will you also be staying at the Bay Harbor Hotel in Tampa? We will be staying there for three nights pre-cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your review, love reading them !! Just booked the Sunshine for Feb 2018 :eek::eek: Gives me lots of time to read reviews and research !!! We are skipping our winter cruise this year and doing an all inclusive with friends.

Thanks for reading! I'm sure you will enjoy the Sunshine. Happy planning!

I really enjoyed seeing the pictures from your cruise in 1998 even though it made me realized that it has been almost 20 years since I graduated high school!:eek: Also loved seeing pics of Kennebunkport and Portland Head lighthouse since I was there last summer on a 2 weeks roadtrip so thank you for a walk down memory lane. Sunshine is my favorite ship so far of the few cruises I've taken so knew that you & your family would enjoyed her.

I really enjoyed seeing the pictures from your cruise in 1998 even though it made me realized that it has been almost 20 years since I graduated high school!:eek: Also loved seeing pics of Kennebunkport and Portland Head lighthouse since I was there last summer on a 2 weeks roadtrip so thank you for a walk down memory lane. Sunshine is my favorite ship so far of the few cruises I've taken so knew that you & your family would enjoyed her.

Glad that you enjoyed the review, and that it brought back some good memories for you. Thanks for reading! :)

• 1 month later...

Jeff, I want to thank you for doing this great review ! I have read and enjoyed all of your reviews, but this one was special to me. My mother was born in 1911 in Nova Scotia and I remember her telling me the story of how her father was asked to come and help dig graves for the bodies from the Titanic. Apparently she though they asked as many men as they could to come over to Halifax and help with this. Her family moved to the states when she was 16, and although I have been back a couple of times too visit relatives, I never got to Halifax to visit the cemetery. My family lived around the Bay of Fundy. I would love to do this cruise, but like your wife I will have to wait till I retire to do it since I also am a teacher. I am in my 43rd year of teaching now and I think I may only teach about three more years. I can't wait to do that cruise. Again, thank you for all the time and effort it took to do this review. Tell Patti congratulations on her retirement !

Jeff, I want to thank you for doing this great review ! I have read and enjoyed all of your reviews, but this one was special to me. My mother was born in 1911 in Nova Scotia and I remember her telling me the story of how her father was asked to come and help dig graves for the bodies from the Titanic. Apparently she though they asked as many men as they could to come over to Halifax and help with this. Her family moved to the states when she was 16, and although I have been back a couple of times too visit relatives, I never got to Halifax to visit the cemetery. My family lived around the Bay of Fundy. I would love to do this cruise, but like your wife I will have to wait till I retire to do it since I also am a teacher. I am in my 43rd year of teaching now and I think I may only teach about three more years. I can't wait to do that cruise. Again, thank you for all the time and effort it took to do this review. Tell Patti congratulations on her retirement !

Thanks for reading and your kind words. You need to make this itinerary your first cruise once you finally retire. 46 years of teaching is simply incredible!!!

The swirls area looked so nice!!! It wasn't this way in February; I know because my kids practically lived near the ice cream machines [emoji4]. Great review by the way. Always love a good Jamman54 review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for reading!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have now read all of your reviews. Phew...that took several days :D Wonderful trip reports. Thanks so much!

I had never wanted to do a New England/Canada itinerary but after reading this, I am reconsidering.

Also, I was born and raised in central NJ (Lawrenceville which is between Princeton/Trenton). I still go back to NJ annually for Thanksgiving with family, in Somerville. I miss living there. Jersey gets a bad rap and I will continue to love it and defend it for all my years (just can't afford to live there) lol.

Thanks again for all of your hard work putting these reviews together and I look forward to reading about more of your future adventures!

I have now read all of your reviews. Phew...that took several days :D Wonderful trip reports. Thanks so much!

I had never wanted to do a New England/Canada itinerary but after reading this, I am reconsidering.

Also, I was born and raised in central NJ (Lawrenceville which is between Princeton/Trenton). I still go back to NJ annually for Thanksgiving with family, in Somerville. I miss living there. Jersey gets a bad rap and I will continue to love it and defend it for all my years (just can't afford to live there) lol.

Thanks again for all of your hard work putting these reviews together and I look forward to reading about more of your future adventures!

Thanks for reading!! Wow, all of them in a row!! Thank you also for your kind words. I think there is a saying that goes something like this. "You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take the Jersey out of the girl" :D

Thanks for reading!! Wow, all of them in a row!! Thank you also for your kind words. I think there is a saying that goes something like this. "You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take the Jersey out of the girl" :D

Haha...it was like reading a captivating novel that you just can't put down. I certainly didn't begin reading thinking that I was going to read them all in a row but that's what wound up happening.

I've always thought that saying described me to a tee. And every time I hear it, it reminds me of my second favorite Broadway show, Rent. Definitely apropos. :)

Hey Jamman! Happy last day of the month before the month of your next cruise! Just want you to pay attention to the countdown clock I added last night! :D:D I am super excited! Wanted to try the Magic or even the Sunshine, but we will be back on the good ole' Pride! Just hope she is still okay 11 months from now! :p One of these days we will cruise with you and Patti. We seem to always be "see sawing" cruises. Maybe Pride Journeys 2019?? ;);) BTW, heard Ken Byrne is back on the Pride for now. Sure hope he is there next January.

Great reviews.

As a Canadian, it's nice to see cruisers enjoy our unique ports of call.

Glad you enjoyed them!! Patti and I enjoy cruising to your neck of the woods. :)

Hey Jamman! Happy last day of the month before the month of your next cruise! Just want you to pay attention to the countdown clock I added last night! :D:D I am super excited! Wanted to try the Magic or even the Sunshine, but we will be back on the good ole' Pride! Just hope she is still okay 11 months from now! :p One of these days we will cruise with you and Patti. We seem to always be "see sawing" cruises. Maybe Pride Journeys 2019?? ;);) BTW, heard Ken Byrne is back on the Pride for now. Sure hope he is there next January.

Hey Karry!! Congrats on booking the Pride once again. We did look at the 2019 Journeys cruise, but it is just too soon after coming back from our Hawaii cruise. We will be looking at April/May and then October for our 2019 cruises. We want to cruise on a ship we have not been on at least once a year.

Yes Ken Byrne is back on the Pride. I emailed him last week with our dining requests and he sent us a nice reply. He loves the Pride and he requested to come back after bringing out the Vista.

Edited by Jamman54

Glad you enjoyed them!! Patti and I enjoy cruising to your neck of the woods. :)

Hey Karry!! Congrats on booking the Pride once again. We did look at the 2019 Journeys cruise, but it is just too soon after coming back from our Hawaii cruise. We will be looking at April/May and then October for our 2019 cruises. We want to cruise on a ship we have not been on at least once a year.

Yes Ken Byrne is back on the Pride. I emailed him last week with our dining requests and he sent us a nice reply. He loves the Pride and he requested to come back after bringing out the Vista.

We will cross paths one of these days! Someone posted a short review of her recent Pride review and she said Ken is leaving in May for vacation, then back on Pride in July until January, then going to Horizon for good. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that he is still there when we go. DH's birthday is 1/10 and I would love to have Ken sing happy birthday to him! :eek::p I would love to sail the Magic or Breeze. I just LOVED the Liberty tho. All the color changing lights....would love to go back on her someday. Happy planning! You are going to have such a FANTASTIC cruise!!!!

• 6 months later...

The Sunshine will soon be starting this year's run of 7 Day New England / Canada cruises. For those that are going you will have a GREAT time. Bumped this review up to get you ready for the fun. Enjoy!!! :D

Thank you for your awesome review! We are on the Sunshine in October and after reading this thread (which took me several days!) and looking at your beautiful pictures, I am finally getting excited about this cruise. We wanted to try something different this year, but for some reason, I associate cruising with warm weather and palm trees and have been having a hard time getting excited about our cruise up to Canada. Now, I am excited! We live in Western Mass so Boston is not very exciting to us and will probably stay on the empty ship. I appreciate your details on the excursions you did, that will help us to decide what to do at the other ports of call. Thanks again!

Thank you for your awesome review! We are on the Sunshine in October and after reading this thread (which took me several days!) and looking at your beautiful pictures, I am finally getting excited about this cruise. We wanted to try something different this year, but for some reason, I associate cruising with warm weather and palm trees and have been having a hard time getting excited about our cruise up to Canada. Now, I am excited! We live in Western Mass so Boston is not very exciting to us and will probably stay on the empty ship. I appreciate your details on the excursions you did, that will help us to decide what to do at the other ports of call. Thanks again!

Cruising to New England / Canada really is a different experience, but in a good way. We will be doing this again in 2019 for sure. Hopefully, Carnival will be doing these again or we may be forced to try other lines. :cool: