Oh Canada! Our Carnival Sunshine New England/Canada cruise (with pics) 9/3/2016

Jamman54

SAME HERE! It's nice with them having a bagpiper and all, but I personally don't think Saint John is even worth the port charges. I'd rather go to Nassau/Freeport for the umpteenth time than waste my time there. Ugh.

If there was a cruise that skipped SJ and did an overnight in Halifax, I'd book it in a New York minute!

We're with you on that one!

Another lovely pictorial review, thanks!

Thank you so much for following along.

Jamman54, thanks so much for your review. I enjoyed it as always.

May I ask why you dislike Saint John? I am not from this Saint John, but the other often mistaken/misspelled one St John's NL. Long time transplant to our nation's capital. But I have visited Saint John on numerous occasions, and really liked it. Admitted been a few years since I was there. I do love Halifax though, and almost transferred there once.

Just wondering what specifically you did not like about Saint John NB. I value honest opinion. Thanks:)

May I ask why you dislike Saint John? I am not from this Saint John, but the other often mistaken/misspelled one St John's NL. Long time transplant to our nation's capital. But I have visited Saint John on numerous occasions, and really liked it. Admitted been a few years since I was there. I do love Halifax though, and almost transferred there once.

Just wondering what specifically you did not like about Saint John NB. I value honest opinion. Thanks:)

I don't dislike Saint John at all, it's just that there is a lot more to see and do in Halifax as compared to Saint John.

Patti loves Saint John, especially the City Market and the Market Square! :D

I'll bite on that one. There isn't much to do, and it's kind of...well, ugly. They really play up their big attraction, the reversing rapids at the Bay of Fundy. Well, I took a city tour that went there. The city tour went by some old houses, but nothing impressive. I'd see better stuff in my own state. The reversing rapids consisted of ugly brown water with an even uglier factory on the other side of the viewing area, belching smoke into the area.

The City Market is OK, but like the markets you see in every other small city is the US/Canada. Canada has good beer, so I suppose the bars are worth a visit.

It's not dangerous or a ghetto or anything. It just doesn't have anything, IMHO, worth debarking cruise ship passengers for. The other ports on the cruise are picturesque or have a lot of historical sites. Even not-so-great places in the Bahamas have beaches.

If they need to refuel or restock there, I understand. I just don't know why every Canada and NE cruise has to stop there. :confused:

This is my opinion and I recognize and appreciate that others' may vary ;)

Edited by VASOXFANN

I don't dislike Saint John at all, it's just that there is a lot more to see and do in Halifax as compared to Saint John.

sorry, I did actually misread you. (misreading, something I do a lot of lately, time for new glasses lol), no problems anyhow. I don't expect everyone to like every place "up here". But I have a soft spot for that town, found the people there so friendly and laid back, much like my home town in Newfoundland. I like that marketplace too. Have wanted to get back there on a cruise for a while now, but the Caribbean is still calling me much more:D

I'll bite on that one. There isn't much to do, and it's kind of...well, ugly. They really play up their big attraction, the reversing rapids at the Bay of Fundy. Well, I took a city tour that went there. The city tour went by some old houses, but nothing impressive. I'd see better stuff in my own state. The reversing rapids consisted of ugly brown water with an even uglier factory on the other side of the viewing area, belching smoke into the area.

The City Market is OK, but like the markets you see in every other small city is the US/Canada. Canada has good beer, so I suppose the bars are worth a visit.

It's not dangerous or a ghetto or anything. It just doesn't have anything, IMHO, worth debarking cruise ship passengers for. The other ports on the cruise are picturesque or have a lot of historical sites. Even not-so-great places in the Bahamas have beaches.

If they need to refuel or restock there, I understand. I just don't know why every Canada and NE cruise has to stop there. :confused:

It is ok, I am not offended, and everyone feels different about places. I just have a soft spot in my heart for it. Thanks for the response.

It is ok, I am not offended, and everyone feels different about places. I just have a soft spot in my heart for it. Thanks for the response.

I understand. I've been to far worse places :0 Maybe it was a bad tour that took us to the low-lites. I'm sure the people are lovely (most Canadians are :) )

I'd love a cruise stop in PEI instead! It's beautiful up there!

Edited by VASOXFANN

SAME HERE! It's nice with them having a bagpiper and all, but I personally don't think Saint John is even worth the port charges. I'd rather go to Nassau/Freeport for the umpteenth time than waste my time there. Ugh.

If there was a cruise that skipped SJ and did an overnight in Halifax, I'd book it in a New York minute!

Wow. I really liked our stop in Saint John last time and am looking forward to it in a couple of weeks. Last time we rented a car with in walking distance from the ship and did the Sea Caves in St. Martin and the Bay of Fundy Trail. It was absolutely beautiful. I would take that any day over Nassau.

Wow. I really liked our stop in Saint John last time and am looking forward to it in a couple of weeks. Last time we rented a car with in walking distance from the ship and did the Sea Caves in St. Martin and the Bay of Fundy Trail. It was absolutely beautiful. I would take that any day over Nassau.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I was there again (driving through) a couple years ago on my way to Halifax. The place just reminds me of a small city in Western PA or Ohio for some reason.

Edited by VASOXFANN

sorry, I did actually misread you. (misreading, something I do a lot of lately, time for new glasses lol), no problems anyhow. I don't expect everyone to like every place "up here". But I have a soft spot for that town, found the people there so friendly and laid back, much like my home town in Newfoundland. I like that marketplace too. Have wanted to get back there on a cruise for a while now, but the Caribbean is still calling me much more:D

No problem, in fact my son Ryan and I will be back in Saint John in about 10 days. We will be doing our own version of the "pub crawl". :D

Man, this is a great review!

The photos from 98 and 00 (when I graduated HS) are really cool! Gives me a sense that you're returning home.

Thanks for dropping by Sean!! We are loving your latest review as well. You can't go wrong with the Pride AND Bermuda! :D

We did feel like we were coming home after a 16 year absence, but once we boarded we quickly realized that other than the shell and the stairwells, very little remains of the Destiny.

Can't wait to read your Vista report. Have a GREAT cruise!!

Edited by Jamman54

Thanks for dropping by Sean!! We are loving your latest review as well. You can't go wrong with the Pride AND Bermuda! :D

We did feel like we were coming home after a 16 year absence, but once we boarded we quickly realized that other than the shell and the stairwells, very little remains of the Destiny.

Can't wait to read your Vista report. Have a GREAT cruise!!

Thanks! :D

No post tonight, but hopefully tomorrow. This Vista cruise has me biting my nails, but it's going to be awesome, I'm sure!

That's too bad that they left so little of Destiny behind. It was truly a ground-breaking ship when it initially launched. Not that its a bad ship now though, by any means!

Edited by seannyice81

What a wonderful review. I came across it as I was looking for information about this very cruise that my husband and I are thinking of taking next September. Our previous cruises have been with Royal Caribbean but they don't having anything to suit what we are looking for. You have just helped make up my mind. I wasn't sure what it would be like with another cruise line as you get comfortable with what you know, but I can't see any reason not to book now that I have seen your wonderful photos. Thanks so much

You really need to get out of Saint John to truly enjoy this port of call. Head to St Martins to check out the sea caves and travel along the Fundy Trail Parkway. You can also head the other way and visit St Andrews (Kingsbrae Gardens are very nice). Or you could head up the St John River valley and visit the capital city, Fredericton, or King's Landing Historical Village.

Enjoying this review. One of my bucket list cruises. But like your wife I am married to a teacher. So in possibly 6 years hope to be heading that way.

When do you think the leaves change color up in Canada? Would love to take the cruise with a little bit of color change. Thanks for doing this review.

Colour changes usually peak here around our Thanksgiving, which is this coming weekend. We really noticed a difference in the colours last week.

You really need to get out of Saint John to truly enjoy this port of call. Head to St Martins to check out the sea caves and travel along the Fundy Trail Parkway. You can also head the other way and visit St Andrews (Kingsbrae Gardens are very nice). Or you could head up the St John River valley and visit the capital city, Fredericton, or King's Landing Historical Village.

Colour changes usually peak here around our Thanksgiving, which is this coming weekend. We really noticed a difference in the colours last week.

GREAT information!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

What a wonderful review. I came across it as I was looking for information about this very cruise that my husband and I are thinking of taking next September. Our previous cruises have been with Royal Caribbean but they don't having anything to suit what we are looking for. You have just helped make up my mind. I wasn't sure what it would be like with another cruise line as you get comfortable with what you know, but I can't see any reason not to book now that I have seen your wonderful photos. Thanks so much

Thanks for reading and glad you found it helpful. Enjoy your planning! :)

We will be out there in 2 weeks and are hoping to see some nice colors both there and our drive out to NY through Niagara Falls. They haven't hardly started changing here in West Michigan yet.

It is nearing 4:30pm and we still haven’t sailed. All of a sudden a tour bus, then a second one, pull into the parking lot and drop off passengers. Good thing they were on a Carnival tour!

CS08201.JPG

[/color][/size]

We were on that bus excursion. We traveled to Hopewell Rocks, on the Bay of Fundy and we dared not rent a car because of the distance from port. As luck would have it, the bus had an issue and we had to wait till they exchanged it for another to transport us all back to port. The excursion itself was amazing and totally worth the long ride and bus trouble! This was our third cruise with this itinerary and we still have not exhausted all the the beauty of the area. I am really enjoying reliving the cruise through your review!

Sailing on the Jolly Roger….

full?d=0

Patti and our wait staff…..

full?d=0

Welcome to St. Thomas…..

full?d=0

The Carnival Destiny in St. Thomas…..

full?d=0

Celebrating Patti’s birthday…..

full?d=0

We are approaching Nassau…..

full?d=0

To be continued…..

funny looking small ships

We were on that bus excursion. We traveled to Hopewell Rocks, on the Bay of Fundy and we dared not rent a car because of the distance from port. As luck would have it, the bus had an issue and we had to wait till they exchanged it for another to transport us all back to port. The excursion itself was amazing and totally worth the long ride and bus trouble! This was our third cruise with this itinerary and we still have not exhausted all the the beauty of the area. I am really enjoying reliving the cruise through your review!

Glad you enjoyed your excursion. Imagine being out on your own or with an independent tour operator and the same thing happening? :eek:

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet on board. The CC Meet & Mingle not happening was a big disappointment.

We'll see you in February on the Pride! :D

Edited by Jamman54

Day 7 – Our final Fun Day at Sea!

CS11071.jpg

CS11081.jpg

CS11091.jpg

CS11101.jpg

We were up at 7am, and looking at the bow camera view, the seas were fairly calm, and it was a little cloudy / foggy outside…..

CS11111.JPG

Here is our voyage map from the television. Notice how we crisscrossed around the northern eastern seaboard. Lol. Note that the winds across the bow were 44 knots. Once again Deck 14 of Serenity would be closed…..

CS1112.JPG

To be continued……..