Oh Canada! Our Carnival Sunshine New England/Canada cruise (with pics) 9/3/2016

Jamman54

Here is a view of the lighthouse on St. Georges Island in the harbor…..

CS10261.JPG

The Rotterdam and Carnival Sunshine are docked in the distance…..

CS10271.JPG

The Greenpeace ship, the Arctic Sunrise is docked next to Murphy’s…..

CS10281.JPG

A Segway tour passes by the Patio……

CS1034.JPG

CS10351.JPG

After we finished our lunch we asked for a cab and were driven back to the ship. Again, it was only $10 for the two of us…..

CS10401.JPG

To be continued…..

Enjoying this review. One of my bucket list cruises. But like your wife I am married to a teacher. So in possibly 6 years hope to be heading that way.

When do you think the leaves change color up in Canada? Would love to take the cruise with a little bit of color change. Thanks for doing this review.

Aww, I sailed on Theodore with our youngest (then six) ten years ago while Doug took the older sons on the Harbour Hopper. Theodore was a lot of fun.

Yep, Theodore has been around for a long time! :D

Love the towel-gators!

They did an amazing job with those towel animals! :)

Enjoying this review. One of my bucket list cruises. But like your wife I am married to a teacher. So in possibly 6 years hope to be heading that way.

When do you think the leaves change color up in Canada? Would love to take the cruise with a little bit of color change. Thanks for doing this review.

Glad to have you along for the ride. This was the first cruise we booked once Patti decided to retire. For Fall Foliage I would think that the latter part of September to early October would be the best.

Was the indoor temps on the ship cooler than expected? This ws our only complaint,

Just returned from our 9/24 sailing on the Sunshine. We had our CC M & G and even had a group photo taken. Carnival gave us a free copy of the photo!!

Sorry you did not have a formal M & G. I think our group made such pests of ourselves before setting foot on the ship about the M & G and a number of our group went to Guest Services after boarding that we wore them down! Our notice was buried in the daily schedule with a asterisk noting that it was not a Carnival sponsored program to discourage non Roll Call participants from attending.

Easy priority boarding and leaving the ship in NYC. Also, priority shuttle service upon arrival in Halifax since we were not in the main arrival terminal due to the Regal Princess.

MARAPRINCE

Another great read Jeff. I too went to Peggy's Cove on Princess back in 2014. I didn't go all the way down to the Light House though. I brought my passport with me to get stamped up stairs at the gift shop. Halifax is one of my favorite ports to go to. I still haven't made into Pier 21 yet.

Hey Barb! Thanks again for reading. This review is starting to wind down to the end. I prefer Halifax over Saint John by a wide margin!

Was the indoor temps on the ship cooler than expected? This ws our only complaint,

Just returned from our 9/24 sailing on the Sunshine. We had our CC M & G and even had a group photo taken. Carnival gave us a free copy of the photo!!

Sorry you did not have a formal M & G. I think our group made such pests of ourselves before setting foot on the ship about the M & G and a number of our group went to Guest Services after boarding that we wore them down! Our notice was buried in the daily schedule with a asterisk noting that it was not a Carnival sponsored program to discourage non Roll Call participants from attending.

Easy priority boarding and leaving the ship in NYC. Also, priority shuttle service upon arrival in Halifax since we were not in the main arrival terminal due to the Regal Princess.

MARAPRINCE

Glad you had a great cruise and that the Meet & Mingle FINALLY happened. I think your cruise was the first to have one since the end of August. Did you get invitations or was the notice only in the Fun Times?

The temperatures in the ship, as I remember it, were quite comfortable, so it wasn't an issue for us.

Are you planning to do a review or recap of your cruise? Would love to hear how it compared to ours. :)

Edited by Jamman54

After the cab dropped us off, I went right back to the ship, while Patti wanted to browse the shops in the terminal building. She got back on board about 45 minutes later.

After a stop at the cabin, I made my up to the Red Frog Rum Bar for a few Thirsty Frog Reds before we sailed. This is the hallway outside of our cabin…..

CS1041.JPG

Patti joined me up on Deck 10 for our sail away. As we are waiting to sail back to New York a bagpiper plays for us…..

CS1043.JPG

CS10491.JPG

We have sailed from Pier 21…..

CS1052.JPG

CS10541.JPG

Here is the statue of Samuel Cunard in the Plaza that I showed you earlier…..

CS10551.JPG

To be continued…..

Since we were going to circle St. Georges Island before heading out to sea, we were able to get some great views of the Waterfront area as we sailed by…..

CS1056.JPG

CS1057.JPG

CS10581.JPG

CS10601.JPG

CS10591.JPG

CS10611.JPG

To be continued…..

Another Waterfront view…..

CS10621.JPG

That’s Murphy’s Restaurant and the Patio where we ate lunch today…..

CS10661.JPG

CS1064.JPG

The Naval Yard in Halifax…..

CS1067.JPG

The Deck 10 smoking area…..

CS10701.JPG

CS1071.JPG

To be continued…..

Hey Barb! Thanks again for reading. This review is starting to wind down to the end. I prefer Halifax over Saint John by a wide margin!

Glad you had a great cruise and that the Meet & Mingle FINALLY happened. I think your cruise was the first to have one since the end of August. Did you get invitations or was the notice only in the Fun Times?

The temperatures in the ship, as I remember it, were quite comfortable, so it wasn't an issue for us.

Are you planning to do a review or recap of your cruise? Would love to hear how it compared to ours. :)

Did 2 mini posting already as 9/24 C. Sunshine sailing and also on our roll call date. No where near as comprehensive as yours. No photos. Awake today, just crashed yesterday! Feel asleep around 1 PM yesterday for about 2 hrs. and was in bed for the night just after 11 PM. We were awakened around 4:30 AM by an in cabin medical emergency call for cabin 6199. Hope the person is alright. Went back to sleep until about 5:55 AM and finished up last minute packing before heading up to breakfast around 7:20 AM. Went back to cabin to pick up our hand carries and directly to Limelight lounge for priority disembarking as group 1 around 9 AM. For a change, disembarking was ahead of schedule since not many people choose to self-disembark.

CC M & G was posted on daily schedule.

MARAPRINCE

We made our way down to the Lobby Bar for a few drinks before getting ready for dinner. Here are a few views looking up the Atrium…..

CS1084A.JPG

CS10851.JPG

Tonight we are back in the Sunrise Dining Room for the second Elegant Night dinner. Here is tonight’s menu…..

CS1092.JPG

To start, Patti had the crab cake and a Caesar salad without anchovies! Lol. For her main she had the teriyaki salmon…..

CS1095.JPG

CS10981.JPG

For my starter I had the stuffed mushrooms…..

CS1096.JPG

To be continued……

Edited by Jamman54

For my mains I had the grilled jumbo shrimp and the stuffed peppers…..

CS10991.JPG

CS1100.JPG

Here is tonight’s dessert menu…..

CS1102.JPG

Patti had butter pecan ice cream and I had the key lime mousse, which again was very bland and tasteless.

Just wanted to mention that we brought another bottle of our own wine to dinner tonight, and again we were not charged a corkage fee.

After dinner, Patti went to check pictures at Pixels, check our emails, then wanted to get a head start on our packing.

I went to the SkyBox Sports Bar to watch some of the Denver/ Carolina football game and play blackjack for a while.

Here is tonight’s turn down service, and our invitations to tomorrow’s VIFP Party…..

CS1103.JPG

CS1105.JPG

CS1104.JPG

Coming up next: Our final sea day, debarkation, and final thoughts

Edited by Jamman54

For lunch Patti had the fish and chips, and cake bites for dessert. I had the bacon wrapped scallops, a lobster roll, and an apple crisp for dessert. Everything was tasty. Between courses Patti would get up and take some pictures. The Harbour Hopper goes by us…..

So how did this lobster roll compare to the one in Portland? :)

Lisa

We had excellent lobster rolls in both Portland and Boston.

Not so much in Saint John, but Halifax we got one at a shack called Dave's along the waterfront and it was fabulous! Including lobster on the ship Sunday, I had lobster 5 days in a row! I haven't had any since and now that I'm writing (and thinking) about it I want some!

Jeff, do you guys go to Stage House tavern? (or email me back--screen name at yahoo)

Edited by mizLORInj

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks...I stumbled on your review, as I am considering the Sunshine for my spring break next year (like Patti, I am also a teacher, confined to the school year schedule - for the next 20 years or so :rolleyes:)and I am quickly making my way through your other fabulous photo reviews as well!

Thank you so very much for your time, effort, and positivity! Following along with you and your family is such a pleasure :)

Megan

I prefer Halifax over Saint John by a wide margin!

SAME HERE! It's nice with them having a bagpiper and all, but I personally don't think Saint John is even worth the port charges. I'd rather go to Nassau/Freeport for the umpteenth time than waste my time there. Ugh.

If there was a cruise that skipped SJ and did an overnight in Halifax, I'd book it in a New York minute!

Edited by VASOXFANN

We had excellent lobster rolls in both Portland and Boston.

Not so much in Saint John, but Halifax we got one at a shack called Dave's along the waterfront and it was fabulous! Including lobster on the ship Sunday, I had lobster 5 days in a row! I haven't had any since and now that I'm writing (and thinking) about it I want some!

Jeff, do you guys go to Stage House tavern? (or email me back--screen name at yahoo)

Halifax has wonderful food! There's a pub called Durty Nellie's up the hill that has the best seafood chowder I have ever put in my mouth.

Yes we do! We also go to Freddys Sports Bar which is right around the corner from our house. We need to get together in the very near future. I'll email you when I get home from work.

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks...I stumbled on your review, as I am considering the Sunshine for my spring break next year (like Patti, I am also a teacher, confined to the school year schedule - for the next 20 years or so :rolleyes:)and I am quickly making my way through your other fabulous photo reviews as well!

Thank you so very much for your time, effort, and positivity! Following along with you and your family is such a pleasure :)

Megan

Thanks for reading and for your kind words! :)