Oh Canada! Our Carnival Sunshine New England/Canada cruise (with pics) 9/3/2016

Jamman54

Day 6 – Halifax, Nova Scotia - (10:00am – 6:00pm)

CS08481.jpg

CS0849.jpg

CS0850.jpg

CS0851.jpg

We were up at 7am, and according to the bow camera the seas were calm, and it was a bit foggy outside. The temperature outside this early morning was a surprising 70 degrees. It was going to be a very nice day today!

CS0852.JPG

Since we wouldn’t be arriving at Halifax until 10am, we had plenty of time to get ready and eat breakfast. Patti wanted to put some laundry together first then meet me back by the Havana Bar, so I grabbed the camera and made my way up to the Lido deck. Score!! The towel animals were all out……

CS08531.JPG

To be continued……

Over the years we have seen a lot of these Lido deck towel animal gatherings, but I have to say that this was the most extensive gathering I have ever seen. They were everywhere. They were down low, up high, and they were small and huge, and just a lot of fun. I’m sure I’m showing way more pictures than I need to, but it was just awesome!

CS0854.JPG

CS08551.JPG

CS0856.JPG

CS08571.JPG

CS08591.JPG

CS08611.JPG

To be continued……

It was time to meet Patti at the Havana Bar for an omelet breakfast, but as I passed the Blue Iguana Cantina my burrito buddy tried to reel me in. Sorry man, maybe tomorrow…..

CS08771.JPG

CS08781.JPG

CS0879.JPG

CS0880.JPG

Walking back I got this shot of one of several ice cream / yogurt stations located in the Market Place…..

CS08811.JPG

After breakfast we still had time to go check our emails, so we went down to the Fun Hub on Deck 5…….

CS08821.JPG

To be continued……

Right next door to the Fun Hub is the Taste Bar, and on port days they also serve breakfast…..

CS08831.JPG

CS08841.JPG

We made our way back up to Deck 10 to watch our arrival at Halifax. This is the smoking area on the starboard side of Deck 10 mid ship…..

CS08861.JPG

We are approaching Halifax, but can’t see it yet due to the fog…..

CS08871.JPG

Suddenly, Halifax appears out of the fog…..

CS08891.JPG

CS08901.JPG

To be continued…..

This is the Museum ship, HMCS Sackville (K181). In the summer she is moored near the Maritime Museum……

CS08921.JPG

The Carnival Sunshine pulls into Pier 21…..

CS08931.JPG

CS0895.JPG

CS0897.JPG

In the middle of the harbor is St. Georges Island…..

CS08981.JPG

We will be docking right next to HAL’s Rotterdam…..

CS0900.JPG

To be continued…..

We made our way down to the Sunset Dining Room where all the Peggy’s Cove excursions would be gathering. As soon as the ship is cleared, all those with excursions to Peggy’ Cove would be led off the ship first.

There were a few variations in the Peggy’s Cove excursions including Peggy’s Cove and Titanic, Peggy’s Cove and double decker city tour, and Halifax and Peggy’s Cove. We chose the latter.

Halifax and Peggy’s Cove

EXCURSION DETAILS

The two most popular ‘must see’ sites; Halifax; Peggy’s Cove and city highlights.

Today, see both as you experience an informative narrated excursion of Halifax, including a drive by historic properties, a restored section of the waterfront, Citadel Hill and the beautiful public gardens before heading out to Peggy’s Cove.

On this excursion you will travel along the scenic coastal highway to the tiny village of Peggy’s Cove, where less than 60 residents live year around.

See the brightly colored houses nestled close to the water’s edge in this working rustic fishing village.

As you enter the cove, drive by the deGarthe monument, carved from a massive slab of granite by local artist William deGarthe and a tribute to the people of Peggy’s Cove.

Your guide will also spin tales of the Cove, explain how it got its name, tell you the story of its lighthouse, and talk about the lobster fishery, which is the backbone of the local economy.

There is also an optional live lobster demonstration from your guide if you wish.

Explore the village on your own and if you choose, there is plenty of time to visit a few of the shops and galleries.

Return to the pier via air-conditioned coach.

NOTE: Stop at Peggy’s Cove is approximately one hour. Warm clothing, a raincoat, and comfortable walking shoes are recommended. Price = $49.99 Adults, $39.99 Children.

It was now after 10am and the ship had not been cleared. There were a couple hundred people in the Sunset Dining Room waiting for their excursions to begin, and I expected chaos to ensue when indeed the ship was cleared.

However, when we were given the okay to debark, it went pretty well. We were directed to the proper bus, and soon we were on our way. Here is our tour guide for today, Joan…..

CS09011.JPG

Joan pointed out points of interest as we drove through Halifax on our way out to Peggy’s Cove, and again when we came back. Peggy’s Cove is about 26 miles southwest of Halifax, and close to a 45 minute ride. Soon we were pulling into Peggy’s Cove, and our first view was of the only church in the village, the St. John’s Anglican Church……

CS09051.JPG

We passed this sculpture which was carved into this granite outcropping by William deGarthe, as a lasting monument to Nova Scotian fishermen…..

CS09061.JPG

Here are a few views of Peggy’s Cove as we drove through the village…..

CS09071.JPG

CS0908.JPG

CS0909.JPG

To be continued…..

Once off the bus we had about an hour or so to explore. Here I am with two lobsters which had names, but I preferred to call them lunch and dinner!

CS09101.JPG

CS09111.JPG

We found another real live working phone booth!

CS09121.JPG

This is the Peggy’s Cove Lighthouse, built in 1868…..

CS09131.JPG

Peggy’s Cove information…..

CS09141.JPG

Lobster pots…..

CS09171.JPG

To be continued…..

Looking out of the cove and out to sea…..

CS09241.JPG

I’m feeling nautical right about now…..

CS09261.JPG

Peggy’s Cove Gift Shop…..

CS09281.JPG

Here are a few coastline views…..

CS0930.JPG

CS09311.JPG

CS09321.JPG

To be continued…..

Loving this thread!

Done the New England cruise before - only 5 days though. Looking forward to the 7 day next year.

By chance, did you get to see any fall color changes?

Glad to have you following along! We saw very little of colors changing. We went early September which is to early for fall foliage.

The fog is rolling in again…..

CS0933.JPG

The sound of bagpipes added to the overall atmosphere…..

CS0935A.JPG

A couple more Lighthouse pictures…..

CS0937.JPG

CS09391.JPG

The Restaurant, Gift Shop, and huge boulders…..

CS0942.JPG

CS09411.JPG

To be continued…..

Still another warning sign…..

CS09581.JPG

I’m holding up the Lighthouse…..

CS0952.JPG

Here’s another view of the Lighthouse…..

CS09621.JPG

Here’s a map of Peggy’s Cove…..

CS09611.JPG

Soon it was time to get back on the bus and head back to Halifax. This was our bus driver Jed…..

CS09631.JPG

Here is another view of the William deGarthe sculpture as we left the village of Peggy’s Cove…..

CS0967.JPG

To be continued…..

Yep, while we were at the lighthouse a few years ago on a Glory cruise, we saw someone who had fallen and learned their ankle was broken. Need to be very careful on these rocks--even the dry-looking ones!

Love the towel animal pics! I must not have walked by that area that morning!

Edited by mizLORInj

Yep, while we were at the lighthouse a few years ago on a Glory cruise, we saw someone who had fallen and learned their ankle was broken. Need to be very careful on these rocks--even the dry-looking ones!

Love the towel animal pics! I must not have walked by that area that morning!

Hey Lori! I was stepping VERY carefully when I was out there. :eek:

That was by far the best Lido deck towel animal presentation I have seen! :)

We took a different route on the return trip to Halifax, driving along the coast of St. Margaret’s Bay. We passed the Swissair Flight 111 memorial, but we were going too fast to get a good picture. Here are a few coastline views…..

CS0971.JPG

CS0972.JPG

Around 45 minutes later we were back at the Halifax Seaport. Patti and I enjoyed the trip to Peggy’s Cove, but agree that it’s a been there, done that, kind of thing.

CS09781.JPG

The Halifax Seaport Farmers Market…..

CS09791.JPG

In the nearby Plaza is a statue of Samuel Cunard…..

CS09801.JPG

CS09821.JPG

To be continued…..

Here are a couple of views of the Rotterdam docked in Halifax…..

CS0981.JPG

CS0985.JPG

We are going to have lunch at Murphy’s on the waterfront. We will need to take the Harbourwalk to get there…….

CS0983.JPG

CS0984.JPG

Just our luck, a rickshaw and driver are available to take us there. You can’t beat the price at $5 per person!

CS09861.JPG

CS0988.JPG

To be continued…..

Our rickshaw ride continues……

CS0997.JPG

CS09991.JPG

CS1000.JPG

We can remember Kevin and Ryan climbing on there when they were kids…..

CS10011.JPG

We are passing the Maritime Museum……

CS10031.JPG

Here is a view of the SS Arcadia…..

CS1004.JPG

To be continued…..

We chose to sit out on the Patio. It’s out this way…..

CS10231.JPG

This is the Patio…..

CS10161.JPG

Our much needed drinks have arrived……

CS1021.JPG

CS10221.JPG

For lunch Patti had the fish and chips, and cake bites for dessert. I had the bacon wrapped scallops, a lobster roll, and an apple crisp for dessert. Everything was tasty. Between courses Patti would get up and take some pictures. The Harbour Hopper goes by us…..

CS1018.JPG

An excursion boat, the Harbour Queen, has just pulled in…..

CS10291.JPG

To be continued…..