Compulsory gratuities

hollyjess

The sooner the better.

Part of the problem is that many new cruisers don't realise that they are expected to pay gratuities so it comes as an unexpected extra to them so they remove the them on their first cruise and as it is so easy they do so on any other cruises that they take.

The problem will only get worse as us older cruisers stop cruising and are replaced by newbies.

I know it is already being discussed but it would be interesting to find out from the forum readers what the majority think of compulsory gratuities being included in the cruise price.

I think the main effect would be there would be no more tipping threads.

Part of the problem is that many new cruisers don't realise that they are expected to pay gratuities so it comes as an unexpected extra to them

Because P&O deliberately omit to tell them!

The optional service charge is not even hinted at anywhere in the booking process, so it is no wonder people don't know about it, and then the amount charged is well in excess of the amount anyone used to land based hotels would expect to pay as a 'tip'.

I know it is already being discussed but it would be interesting to find out from the forum readers what the majority think of compulsory gratuities being included in the cruise price.

I find it interesting that on lines such as Royal Caribbean they say ‘suggested’ amount but then they go and add $14.50-17.50 pp/day to your on-board account!!! As older cruisers (25th cruise coming up) we are getting tired of the nickle and diming. It’s so much worse than when we started cruising in ‘97. They should just add the ‘suggested’ amount to the total cruise cost up front and pay their staff! I plan on telling guest services on day 1 of the next cruise to remove it from my account and I’ll tip in cash the amount I deem appropriate. I’m wondering how this will go over!

I would definitely vote for it to be compulsory - and what's more I'm sure it could be reduced from £7 pppn too and still generate significantly more income given the almost certain increase year on year of those removing gratuities.

You cannot have a compulsory charge that is not disclosed as part of the booking process, so they would have to include it in the cruise fare (which they won't do).

The optional service charge is not even hinted at anywhere in the booking process, so it is no wonder people don't know about it, and then the amount charged is well in excess of the amount anyone used to land based hotels would expect to pay as a 'tip'.

Absolutely and the majority of Brits pay it and some then give a bit on top.

Sorry but I disagree with your first sentence. It is clearly stated in the brochures in the "Planning for your Holiday" section and the "Life on board" section. It is also on the website under "Why P&O Cruises" - "Tipping made simple".

I am afraid that too many people do not research their travel arrangements sufficiently.

For what it is worth, I completely agree that they should include tipping in the base price.

When we book our holidays we expect the price to include everything that has been advertised. We do not expect to be charged for gratuities at the start of our holidays, it's like tipping for service before you have been served! We tip when the service has been good at the end of our holidays.It is a shame that the cruise lines do not seem to pay their staff enough money and the customer is made to feel guilty if they do not tip.

Sorry but I disagree with your first sentence. It is clearly stated in the brochures in the "Planning for your Holiday" section and the "Life on board" section. It is also on the website under "Why P&O Cruises" - "Tipping made simple".

I am afraid that too many people do not research their travel arrangements sufficiently.

For what it is worth, I completely agree that they should include tipping in the base price.

I didn't say it wasn't mentioned on the website if you go looking for it.

What I said was you could go through the complete booking process with no hint that an additional optional charge will be added to your cabin bill.

If you can tell me where you see mention of it in the booking process, please do.

Other Carnival brands do specifically advise customers of the charge in the booking process, but for some reason P&O do not.

When we book our holidays we expect the price to include everything that has been advertised. We do not expect to be charged for gratuities at the start of our holidays, it's like tipping for service before you have been served! We tip when the service has been good at the end of our holidays.It is a shame that the cruise lines do not seem to pay their staff enough money and the customer is made to feel guilty if they do not tip.
I've read there is a Cruise line that includes the tips, but the price is usually much higher. The tips used to be handed out at the END of the trip, but to many were not giving anything (may have because they didn't know or just wanted to get by on the cheap). That is why tips were added to your bill, to make sure the hard working wait staff were taken care of.

The people providing service in Restaurants in the US rely on tips in the same way, and when great service is provided I like to make sure they are compensated appropriately.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I think on balance I would like to see it added to the fare as it makes it fairer that everyone pays, but the danger is that if a compulsory service charge is added to the fare it gives the staff no incentive to do anything beyond what they need to. Then if P&O use the mark given in the questionaire to withhold/reduce the payment to them, what happens to the money we paid.

The more people who take auto tips off the better. Include it in the price, then we all know what we are paying. It may mean doing away with obj, but seeing as that has reduced, or disappeared, for most it may not be a bad thing. Or maybe, heaven forbid, P an O pay their overworked, underpaid, put-upon (bless-em) staff an improved wage and not expect passengers to contribute to their wages after already having paid for the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's not a case of compulsory. If you include it in the cruise price, then it's called a service charge and it's paid up front. Then guess what, most people will then give a "tip" which is what it was always supposed to be. A tip/gratuity freely given.

The more people who take auto tips off the better. Include it in the price, then we all know what we are paying. It may mean doing away with obj, but seeing as that has reduced, or disappeared, for most it may not be a bad thing. Or maybe, heaven forbid, P an O pay their overworked, underpaid, put-upon (bless-em) staff an improved wage and not expect passengers to contribute to their wages after already having paid for the cruise.

Absolutely agree.

The autogratuities are put on your seapass account daily.

On P&O the auto gratuities are taken off at the start of your cruise, probably on the second day. As far as I know, as I haven't done it, when you remove the auto grats they still take off the amount for the days you have already been onboard.

It's not a case of compulsory. If you include it in the cruise price, then it's called a service charge and it's paid up front. Then guess what, most people will then give a "tip" which is what it was always supposed to be. A tip/gratuity freely given.

If it was included in the price several envelopes will appear for you to tip extra with plenty of sob stories from certain crew members.