'Tidal Wave' of cruise ships in Vancouver this weekend

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:11 PM.
#2
107,559 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
I can imagine that it will be a busy weekend in both Vancouver and Seattle as ships are leaving Alaska and heading elsewhere -- Australia/New Zealand, Caribbean, etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
#3
San Diego, CA
1,718 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
We embark on the Oosterdam in Vancouver on Monday. Now I now why the hotels and Sunday flights were so expensive!!

We decided to fly in Monday, saving a good part of the price of the cruise. Fortunately, the Oosterdam does not sail away until 11pm so we have extra time. HAL's Flight Ease worked well for us. We plan on taking the SkyTrain from the airport to Canada Place to avoid the traffic.

igraf
#4
6,166 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Yep, the beginning and end of the season is usually like this. Just be thankful the behemoths of the sea can't get under the Lions Gate Bridge! To accommodate them there is talk of moving the cruise ship terminal way out of town.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lizzie.
emailme
#5
Warwick, R.I. , USA
38,249 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by Lizzie68
...there is talk of moving the cruise ship terminal way out of town.
Nooooo! Canada Place is such a lovely building, in an attractive setting, with everything I could want nearby!
Now, a terminal for the humongous ships, but leave Canada Place for the rest of us---that would work.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CCASE/LSSE

Chocolate is to women what duct tape is to men.
It fixes everything.
#6
New Brunswick
41,535 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by Lizzie68
Yep, the beginning and end of the season is usually like this. Just be thankful the behemoths of the sea can't get under the Lions Gate Bridge! To accommodate them there is talk of moving the cruise ship terminal way out of town.
Originally posted by RuthC
Nooooo! Canada Place is such a lovely building, in an attractive setting, with everything I could want nearby!
Now, a terminal for the humongous ships, but leave Canada Place for the rest of us---that would work.
Works for me They wouldn't let the behemoths into Alaska would they? Wouldn't the be too much for the environment?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqui emailme Click here for Prinsendam Roll Call's spread sheet for May 5, 2018 - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer

#7
Quilcene, Washington
2,341 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
We will be there for the circus on Monday. Thankfully we are in NS so hoping we can scoot through early and miss the worst of the crowds. We don't sail until 11 PM so guessing we will be able to go back ashore. Will definitely wait until after 3 PM when the other 2 ships are finished boarding.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Frank and Loren
Olympic Peninsula, WA
[email protected]l.com
#8
11 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by kazu
Works for me They wouldn't let the behemoths into Alaska would they? Wouldn't the be too much for the environment?
The Norwegian Bliss behemoth is starting Alaska service next summer--big enough for a go-kart track. The itineraries include Sawyer Glacier. But they could take up more than usual docking space in places like Juneau and require tendering from other ships. In Seattle their pier is separate from HAL's, but it means 4,000 passengers taking up hotel space and flights. I went on another NCL behemoth, the Getaway, on its first season on the Baltic itinerary out of Copenhagen, and it made things pretty crowded in port cities and filled up hotels in Copenhagen.
#9
68 Posts
Joined May 2015
Canada Place isn't going to be replaced. They are possibly adding another terminal. There are several options and we will all be told in due time.
Sandra
#10
Vancouver, BC, Canada
218 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by Lizzie68
Just be thankful the behemoths of the sea can't get under the Lions Gate Bridge! To accommodate them there is talk of moving the cruise ship terminal way out of town.

Way out of town ... Squamish? 🤣
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
  • 2018-11 Holland America - Koningsdam - Southern Caribbean
  • 2016-12 Holland America - Nieuw Amsterdam - Eastern Caribbean
  • 2012-03 Holland America - Westerdam - Southern Caribbean
  • 2011-03 Norwegian - Epic - Western Caribbean
  • 2008-12 Norwegian - Sky - Bahamas
  • 2007-12 Carnival - Celebration - Bahamas
  • 2004-09 Princess - Saphire - Pacific Coastal
  • 2002-02 Princess - Sea - Mexican Riviera
  • 2001-09 Princess - Dawn - Pacific Coastal
  • 2001-01 Princess - Regal - South Pacific
  • 1994-10 Norwegian - Windward - Southern Caribbean
  • 1992-10 Carnival - Holiday - Western Caribbean
#11
6,166 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Originally posted by Dogstar
Way out of town ... Squamish? 🤣
LOL no - Delta has been suggested, as there is a commercial shipping terminal there. I think they will still use Canada Place but make facilities for the bigger cruise ships in Delta or wherever because of the competition from Seattle. Just MHO though.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lizzie.
emailme
#12
5,835 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Lizzie68
LOL no - Delta has been suggested, as there is a commercial shipping terminal there. I think they will still use Canada Place but make facilities for the bigger cruise ships in Delta or wherever because of the competition from Seattle. Just MHO though.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app
Thanks for this info. I hadn't read anything about this.

Deltaport would certainly be good for the huge ships. Might be uses for overflow from Canada Place, too.

A pain for pax: strictly a cruiseline transfer to get there and back. WAY out in the boonies, yet a scenic ride there and back.
#13
6,166 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Originally posted by SilvertoGold
Thanks for this info. I hadn't read anything about this.

Deltaport would certainly be good for the huge ships. Might be uses for overflow from Canada Place, too.

A pain for pax: strictly a cruiseline transfer to get there and back. WAY out in the boonies, yet a scenic ride there and back.
It was a TV news item yesterday or perhaps Friday. Check Global BC news.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lizzie.
emailme
#14
5,835 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Lizzie68
It was a TV news item yesterday or perhaps Friday. Check Global BC news.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app
Thanks for the idea. Interesting info.

Light rail or Skytrain? I doubt it. Pax don't seem to flock to the Canada Line from YVR to Canada Place, a very, very easy (and inexpensive) trip.
#15
68 Posts
Joined May 2015
We were told by a Hal captain a few days ago, that the new Cruise terminal will be in Delta [Tsawwassen]. Not only is there a cargo ship terminal there, bur Ferries too. It would be great for tourists going back and forth to Vancouver Island.
I don't know if he really has inside information, but he told us, once we said that we lived in Tsawwassen.
Sandra