Advice...Would you choose this Eastern itinerary on Glory or this Western on Magic?

Eastern Glory

Grand Turk

San Juan

St. Thomas

Amber Cove

Western Magic

Grand Cayman

Roatan

Belize

Cozumel

I have only cruised a few times so I haven’t been to any of the ports listed for either cruise. The dates are the same and the Magic is only about $30 more total so price isn’t an issue. I searched for a ship comparison and saw most people prefer the Magic but perhaps not with the differing itineraries.

Also for the most part when I get off the ship I’ll be looking for a pretty and clean beach where I can swim a little and relax. I can’t snorkel ☺️ and even if I was willing to try something adventurous I wouldn’t have anyone to try it with this time.

Also I’ve never sailed Carnival, only Norwegian, MSC, and something I don’t remember from about 16 years ago.

Edited by Cherries Jubilee
To add more info

Am I to infer that you're traveling solo? Also, regarding the Magic itinerary, Grand Cayman and Belize are both tender ports, so it will take awhile to get ashore and get back on board. Ship wise, I would lean towards Magic, but port wise I would lean towards the Glory since you can walk right off the ship at Grand Turk and relax on the beach right there or chill at the large pool at Margaritaville. Amber Cove is a man made Carnival built port, which is also an easy day especially if you're solo. St Thomas has some great beaches especially if you go to St John's. I would decide if the ports or the ship is more important to you. Do research on the ports of call section in Cruise Critic and of course take the advice of future posters in this thread. Good luck.

Am I to infer that you're traveling solo? Also, regarding the Magic itinerary, Grand Cayman and Belize are both tender ports, so it will take awhile to get ashore and get back on board. Ship wise, I would lean towards Magic, but port wise I would lean towards the Glory since you can walk right off the ship at Grand Turk and relax on the beach right there or chill at the large pool at Margaritaville. Amber Cove is a man made Carnival built port, which is also an easy day especially if you're solo. St Thomas has some great beaches especially if you go to St John's. I would decide if the ports or the ship is more important to you. Do research on the ports of call section in Cruise Critic and of course take the advice of future posters in this thread. Good luck.

I’m going with 2 other people but they’re both quite a bit older than me so the information you’ve given is helpful. My Mom specifically is probably not likely to want to over exert herself.

I wonder if it’s worth it to switch weeks and pay a tiny bit more to do the Eastern itinerary on the Magic?

Thanks so much for your help! I know ports can change due to weather but I want to at least book the most logical ship/ports for us.

I’m going with 2 other people but they’re both quite a bit older than me so the information you’ve given is helpful. My Mom specifically is probably not likely to want to over exert herself.

I wonder if it’s worth it to switch weeks and pay a tiny bit more to do the Eastern itinerary on the Magic?

Thanks so much for your help! I know ports can change due to weather but I want to at least book the most logical ship/ports for us.

Flip it for the Eastern magic since I assume that the ports would be the same as the Glory. Grand Turk and Amber Cove would be easier on your Mom and the Havensight Mall in St Thomas is right next to the ship for shopping. That's the way I would go.

I would go Eastern Magic. In St Thomas there’s a fun snorkeling excursion that takes you a turtle hang out area. It can get a bit boozy after the snorkeling ends with free painkillers but other than that it’s a fun time.

Have done both. Totally agree here. We are doing Eastern on magic for second time because the ports are easy, reasonable to manage with family, and friendly. Don't know how much ship matters.

Why is everyone suggesting eastern on the Magic? That wasn't a choice.

Here's the proof from post #3 from the OP.

Honestly i would enjoy either itinerary.

Here are my thoughts for the ports that may help you decide

Eastern Glory

Grand Turk -- Nice easy stop. beach right off the ship with free loungers. Also a pool if you like that.

San Juan -- not many beaches nearby. The forts were cool but an uphill walk. There is a trolley or cabs. It was very hot here even in January.

St. Thomas-- great beaches. just catch a cab.

Amber Cove -- Carnivals man made port. It has pool and ziplining and shopping. Its on a bay like area so no real beach. you could take a cab to one. Not as nice of beach as other ports We are going there this month but are doing the 27 waterfall hike. probably not an option for you.

Western Magic

Grand Cayman -- tendering port. Bad weather and you can miss it. We have gone 2 times and missed it another time. We love it here. Cabs are set prices. Beaches are beautiful (7 mile beach)

Roatan -- there is a beach right when you get off the ship. Its a short walk. We went to Tabyana beach which was really nice. Good snorkeling too. But it was a long drive. We ended up hiring a tour company to take us.

Belize -- tender port. There is not much when you get off the tender. Just shopping. No real beaches nearby. We had to book an excursion. We did Goff's Caye which was awesome but basically we got off the tender and back on another.

Cozumel -- easy port to visit. Cabs with set fares waiting at the cab stand in order (not stressful at all). Plenty of beaches to get to from port. We head to paradise beach. Its like $3 a person to enter for a lounger. They do ask you to buy drinks or food for that though. Also has a nice pool.

Has St John and St Thomas rebounded from the devastating hurricane? How about San Juan?

Bill

Has St John and St Thomas rebounded from the devastating hurricane? How about San Juan?

Bill

We were at both ports a few weeks ago. There is still a lot of visible damage, but both islands are up and running for tourists. The sky ride at Paradise Point in St. Thomas was still not running when we were there, but there were plenty of excursions offered if you want. Lots of people were renting jeeps and doing island on own. Senior Frogs closed still. Most stores in Old San Juan were open, but some were still closed/rebuilding interiors.

As far as Eastern or Western, I would definitely go Eastern!

I’d definitely go on Magic. I’m just off Glory and have nothing positive to say about the ship with the exception of the hard working staff.

Glory is old , smelly, and boring in my opinion .....Magic has got to be better.

We were at both ports a few weeks ago. There is still a lot of visible damage, but both islands are up and running for tourists. The sky ride at Paradise Point in St. Thomas was still not running when we were there, but there were plenty of excursions offered if you want. Lots of people were renting jeeps and doing island on own. Senior Frogs closed still. Most stores in Old San Juan were open, but some were still closed/rebuilding interiors.

As far as Eastern or Western, I would definitely go Eastern!

Thanks for this information. I won’t be sailing until September so providing the next storms aren’t as savage there may be more improvement by then. I really just need a nice beach.

I’d definitely go on Magic. I’m just off Glory and have nothing positive to say about the ship with the exception of the hard working staff.

Glory is old , smelly, and boring in my opinion .....Magic has got to be better.

Thank you, I’m sorry about your cruise. I’m actually now considering a totally different scenario, Magic Eastern or Horizon Eastern lol. Not sure if I should bother making a new post...don’t want to be a pest.

The Horizon is one day longer and $200 more but I also won’t have to fly anywhere. $200 for an extra day and no airport hassle seems worth it.

Thanks for this information. I won’t be sailing until September so providing the next storms aren’t as savage there may be more improvement by then. I really just need a nice beach.

Thank you, I’m sorry about your cruise. I’m actually now considering a totally different scenario, Magic Eastern or Horizon Eastern lol. Not sure if I should bother making a new post...don’t want to be a pest.

The Horizon is one day longer and $200 more but I also won’t have to fly anywhere. $200 for an extra day and no airport hassle seems worth it.

Your choices for Horizon Eastern in September out of NYC are either leaving Tuesday August 28 over Labor Day weekend till Wednesday September 5 or leaving on the 5th till the 13th. You'll also have 2 sea days front and back end with Grand Turk, San Juan and Amber Cove in the middle on a brand new ship with all of the bells and whistles. Here is a link to the new entertainment options on the Horizon including the return of live music to the main showroom in two different shows. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8419

I will be on the 8/28 sailing in a Havana cabin.