Carnival: So I am not crazy... your system is?

Recently posted a question to all about Specialty Diningreservation process for a July sailing on Horizon... specifically that it appeared ridiculous to have to wait24-48 hours just to find out if you ‘GOT’ the reservation.

Today, three days later, Carnival STILL has not confirmedback to me (they said it would be an email) and when I was forced now to call themthey stated that they have ‘NO WAT TO EVEN CONFIRM IF I MADE A RESERVATION’?

Carnival does have an IT department, correct? The do use computers?

I hear from other posts that some people wait up 9 daysto hear back?

I would like to hear from the RCL or NCL’ers out thereand what they think of the reservation system?

I like Specialty Restaurants, Carnival probably makesmoney on the Specialty Restaurants, but if it’s going to be such a pain in the%%$##@ to book them (especially since Carnival won’t even confirm if I ambooked… but of course they will charge you if you miss it and don’t cancel with24 hours notice).

Sorry for venting but this may be enough to toss the Julytrip and go back to the other lines!

Again, RCL’er and NCL’ers… what’s your take/experiencewith Carnival?

Not everything is done through one unified, fully-integrated computer system. Most cruise lines have numerous different systems that are not very well integrated with each other and for which there isn't much profit motive to invest in such integration efforts.

I suggest if you don't hear from them in another week or so that you give the cruise line to call and let them know that you haven't heard from them. Hopefully somebody can at least get a message to the people were supposed to get back to you and you should have an answer that way.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Perhaps their system was confused by the manner in which you work your own computer.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Be patient and you'll likely get your confirmation. There's probably a few people in front of you making the same request (hopefully, better).

You don't get charged for a reservation. Specialty dining is paid to your onboard account on-ship after your meal. You'll know you have one certainly at the time you board. Notice will be in your stateroom.

As mentioned, be patient. Things are a little slow sometimes. If you can't be and this puts you over the edge, cancel with as little penalty as possible and find a line more appealing.

I truly don't understand why people even go on vacation when little things like this cause such heartache. Why risk it? When asking for a reservation this early from Carnival I have never not gotten the time I requested. They charge you when you appear for your meal. If you find you have conflicting reservations they will work with you via email to find a time that is satisfactory. Patience is key.

Perhaps their system was confused by the manner in which you work your own computer.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Be patient and you'll likely get your confirmation. There's probably a few people in front of you making the same request (hopefully, better).

You don't get charged for a reservation. Specialty dining is paid to your onboard account on-ship after your meal. You'll know you have one certainly at the time you board. Notice will be in your stateroom.

As mentioned, be patient. Things are a little slow sometimes. If you can't be and this puts you over the edge, cancel with as little penalty as possible and find a line more appealing.

Thanks for response but I don't think it was objective.

Your note of "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."... what the heck is that? I'm a IT Professional that works for a firm that designs Reservation Systems (Oracle) for Airlines. I don't live in a Glass House, actually Stucco.

'... manner in which you work your own computer'? I made the reservation on their website so what computer I use is kinda mute?

Your note of" You don't get charged for a reservation"... I noted that 'if you miss a reservation' and YES you are charged, at least that is what I was told by Carnival today.

Patience... yes your right, I probably need to be a little better in that area but when I am assured by someone in a company (Carnival Sr Cruise Consultant - as she noted) that I would hear back in 24 hours, 48 on the outside then told that they didn't even have the ability to verify the status of the reservation (even if it is in a separate system)... that to me does not make sense in Billion Dollar firm?

You took the time to respond to my initial quote, and for that I thank you but this is the ninth issue that has arose with Carnival and all of them might push me to, as you call it 'the edge' but I also just found out also that my 100% refundable deposit was not so because they lower my price once by $100... I now only get credit and if I was to cancel because of these problems.... I would not want to come back so this kinda leaves me with... Try to Resolve or loose $1500.

One funny point... I was contacted by NCL Tuesday after their seeing another Post offering a great deal to switch to them on Escape. I wonder if the work like the Wireless firms do, i.e. pay you out of a contract?

Venting over, I guess with Carnival, planning is better left for on the ship than before.

Not everything is done through one unified, fully-integrated computer system. Most cruise lines have numerous different systems that are not very well integrated with each other and for which there isn't much profit motive to invest in such integration efforts.

I suggest if you don't hear from them in another week or so that you give the cruise line to call and let them know that you haven't heard from them. Hopefully somebody can at least get a message to the people were supposed to get back to you and you should have an answer that way.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Thanks, that probably makes sense. Will try next week, as the holidays may be an impact as well.

Sorry you're feeling frustrated. I personally wouldn't worry about it. I've never not received the specialty dining reservation I requested.

I guess I was 'babied' by RCL and NCL with online confirmation within seconds and a place that listed all my reservation activities to review.

Thanks for response but I don't think it was objective.

Your note of "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."... what the heck is that? I'm a IT Professional that works for a firm that designs Reservation Systems (Oracle) for Airlines. I don't live in a Glass House, actually Stucco.

'... manner in which you work your own computer'? I made the reservation on their website so what computer I use is kinda mute?

Your note of" You don't get charged for a reservation"... I noted that 'if you miss a reservation' and YES you are charged, at least that is what I was told by Carnival today.

Patience... yes your right, I probably need to be a little better in that area but when I am assured by someone in a company (Carnival Sr Cruise Consultant - as she noted) that I would hear back in 24 hours, 48 on the outside then told that they didn't even have the ability to verify the status of the reservation (even if it is in a separate system)... that to me does not make sense in Billion Dollar firm?

You took the time to respond to my initial quote, and for that I thank you but this is the ninth issue that has arose with Carnival and all of them might push me to, as you call it 'the edge' but I also just found out also that my 100% refundable deposit was not so because they lower my price once by $100... I now only get credit and if I was to cancel because of these problems.... I would not want to come back so this kinda leaves me with... Try to Resolve or loose $1500.

One funny point... I was contacted by NCL Tuesday after their seeing another Post offering a great deal to switch to them on Escape. I wonder if the work like the Wireless firms do, i.e. pay you out of a contract?

Venting over, I guess with Carnival, planning is better left for on the ship than before.

I don't think carnival is for you. Cancel now before you have a stress related heart attack.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm a IT Professional that works for a firm that designs Reservation Systems (Oracle) for Airlines.
As you know, every system change and infrastructure change has to be justified by the additional profit it would generate.

that to me does not make sense in Billion Dollar firm?
I have worked for four billion-dollar firms and was an external auditor for a few dozen more. What I have found is that IT infrastructure sophistication has little correlation to market capitalization.

In my experience, IT infrastructure sophistication is:

• inversely correlated with how old the company is,
  • inversely correlated with how long the industry has been computerized, and
  • directly correlated with to what extent the company itself sells IT products and/or services.

That last element is the dominant factor. People tend to get dazzled by Google and Amazon, but both are relatively new companies; both are in industries that they, as new companies, helped pioneer; and both are very heavily into selling IT products and/or services. (Amazon Web Services generates over $4.5 billion a year in revenue. That's more than the entirety of CCL. )

I’m a usual carnival person who just got back from an NCL Cruise. We made reservations online , then about a month later I looked and couldn’t see them. Called NCL and they had to record of them...so we made reservations on the phone although at that point there were only very late times left. We didn’t stress...as soon as we got on board we went to the reservation desk and changed all of them to times we wanted. My point is even NCL screws up and also I wouldn’t stress too much it will all work out

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As you know, every system change and infrastructure change has to be justified by the additional profit it would generate.

I have worked for four billion-dollar firms and was an external auditor for a few dozen more. What I have found is that IT infrastructure sophistication has little correlation to market capitalization.

In my experience, IT infrastructure sophistication is:

• inversely correlated with how old the company is,
  • inversely correlated with how long the industry has been computerized, and
  • directly correlated with to what extent the company itself sells IT products and/or services.

That last element is the dominant factor. People tend to get dazzled by Google and Amazon, but both are relatively new companies; both are in industries that they, as new companies, helped pioneer; and both are very heavily into selling IT products and/or services. (Amazon Web Services generates over $4.5 billion a year in revenue. That's more than the entirety of CCL. )

Probably should not have referred to capital but Industry. Worked in Travel/Reservation firm (within Cendant) for 15 years and even back then (90's-2005) still had 'connected systems so the User could see what they are reserving.

And for a Rep of the company (Carnival) to say they couldn't even see if I have attempted a Reservation, let along if it was confirmed... if we treated calls into Wyndam or RCL or .... we would have been fired!

I’m a usual carnival person who just got back from an NCL Cruise. We made reservations online , then about a month later I looked and couldn’t see them. Called NCL and they had to record of them...so we made reservations on the phone although at that point there were only very late times left. We didn’t stress...as soon as we got on board we went to the reservation desk and changed all of them to times we wanted. My point is even NCL screws up and also I wouldn’t stress too much it will all work out

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your probably right.... maybe I shouldn't wait until July for the Booze Package. I'll start tonight!

I do think the problem is that the Horizon is not in service yet. Until they know exactly how many tables and chairs will be physically in place and the staff assigned they most likely do not want to over commit reservations.

Do you have a dedicated PVP(Carnival Personal Vacation Planner)?? Or did you book through a travel agent or did it yourself online? If you booked through a TA, call them and tell them you would like to book reservations. If you booked online, call and get a designated PVP that will work with you one on one.

Take a breath....every line is different and every line has their own special aggravating ways of doing things. "Everything will be alright".

I do think the problem is that the Horizon is not in service yet. Until they know exactly how many tables and chairs will be physically in place and the staff assigned they most likely do not want to over commit reservations.

Do you have a dedicated PVP(Carnival Personal Vacation Planner)?? Or did you book through a travel agent or did it yourself online? If you booked through a TA, call them and tell them you would like to book reservations. If you booked online, call and get a designated PVP that will work with you one on one.

Take a breath....every line is different and every line has their own special aggravating ways of doing things. "Everything will be alright".

Thanks!

I requested a steakhouse reservation for the Horizon back in December 2017, around the 10th. I got my confirmation via e-mail on Dec. 22, 2017, so it was a little while. Obviously, I wasn't sweating it since our cruise is not until Dec. 2018 and the ship was not even completed at the time I was making the reservation, but we had a specific night in mind and the reservation was for 16, so I thought it was best to do it early.

Perhaps they handled your reservation with the same attention to detail as your original post.

Pause, reflect and re-evaluate.

Sorry you're feeling frustrated. I personally wouldn't worry about it. I've never not received the specialty dining reservation I requested.

I concur. I make the reservations, get the confirmation, I actually didn't pay attention to how many days it took but it was more than a few. I even added people later and got that with no problem also. I think you will be ok.